PDA

View Full Version : Using mac and lag issues

Klaatu_the_druid
September 28th, 2020, 07:02
Soooooo, using Unity on the Mac for the first time the other night and had some serious lag issues. Was kind of fighting with the interface and with disadvantage. Didn't know if it was the game I was in, the settings, or the way the shell (wine?) works with the Mac. Is this common or am I not optimizing FG? Thanks for any help with this.

vaughnlannister
September 28th, 2020, 07:23
Depends on how many extension your using, the model of your mac, if you use port forwarding or not. So there are many factors to consider.

My lag issues before were related to, having to many extension and not being able to port forward during one session.
Optimisation is still something worked on I believe.

Zacchaeus
September 28th, 2020, 09:26
You also don't say if you were the host or a player. Unity runs natively on mac so there's no Wine or anything like that. It will also depend on your machine specs.

Klaatu_the_druid
September 28th, 2020, 16:47
Thanks for this reply!

Native to mac. Nicely done FG!
I was one of the players. No extensions or mods were being used.

LordEntrails
September 28th, 2020, 17:07
Was the lag with dice rolling? Or map/image sharing? Or Token moving? Or navigating lists?

See the link in my signature for general advice on what to include when reporting issues so we can get to a resolution quicker.

Moon Wizard
September 29th, 2020, 02:57
Also, we released a new build that was available on Friday morning that addressed a Mac system issue with the .Net libraries that the Unity system uses. (Basically, the system beep API in .Net was failing and spiking the GPU.)

What date is being reported in the version information on the upper right of the launch screen? (Before you click to Check For Updates.)

Thanks,
JPG

Klaatu_the_druid
September 29th, 2020, 02:59
v4.0.0.standard (2020-09-24)

Moon Wizard
September 29th, 2020, 03:01
Was that the version you were running on during your game the other night; or have you updated since then?

If the same version, we're still trying to track down the issue, and would be interested in getting a zipped up copy of the campaign from the GM.

Regards,
JPG

The Demiurge
September 29th, 2020, 08:01
I hope you guys are able to track to down whatever causes the fan to spike and cause the laptop to get hot (mac 2014 dual core 16gd). The Mac Silicon is coming out this year.

I ended up buying a license on my PC laptop 2019 Acer Predator 16 GB and it runs flawlessly so it has to do with the mac. Maybe my mac is too old...? Not sure as FoundryVTT was acting the same way on the macbook but Id think both Foundry and FGU wouldn't be that process intensive...

Moon Wizard
September 29th, 2020, 15:41
Actually, FGU is rendered completely on the GPU using the Unity game engine; so it is not a "lightweight" application as many people seem to assume. It requires a fair amount of processing power just for the basic desktop and supporting systems; and scales from that baseline.

I'm not surprised that you would see high CPU/GPU utilization on 6-7 year old hardware.

Regards,
JPG

The Demiurge
September 29th, 2020, 19:58
Hmm that could be. Do you have a list of the "FGU system requirements" for both the Mac and PC? A link perhaps?

Klaatu_the_druid
September 29th, 2020, 20:05
The lag was using the interface all around. I eventually loaded things into the quickslots and targeted with ctrl click instead of drag and drop. I have macmini 2018/8 gigs ram/3.6 quad core

The GPU's on these are notoriously underpowered, I imagine that's it. boosting the ram won't increase GPU ram, but maybe it will have offset it with CPU being a bit more jacked. Will play another session and report back. Thanks to everyone for their attention to this.

Kelrugem
September 29th, 2020, 20:49
Hmm that could be. Do you have a list of the "FGU system requirements" for both the Mac and PC? A link perhaps?

See here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50373-FGU-Early-Access-Overview-and-Download

(though the requirements may be "work in progress" because such things partially depend on engines and reports of users :) )

Klaatu_the_druid
September 29th, 2020, 20:52
Yeah, that's the issue:
2GB min, 4GB recommended!

Klaatu_the_druid
November 29th, 2020, 15:10
Sending an update - used FGU for the first time since reporting the lag issues and this time FG worked perfectly. Very crisp responses and stable. I didn't roll any crits during the session, but I think that problem is on my end.