PDA

View Full Version : Modifiers (window inside FGU - the +/- button at the top)

Ibrene
September 28th, 2020, 00:01
Hi fellas
How does this actually work? I see the buttons like Touch, Flat-Footed Cover, etc and when I press the button it becomes red. The square block next to the buttons I can "create item", I get that, but I'm still stumped as to how I actually use it. If I click say, Flat-Footed does my character gain that condition? I've tried to "drag and drop" onto characters on the combat tracker, but that does not seem to work. An explanation like I'm a vegetable would be much appreciated.

bmos
September 28th, 2020, 01:51
The modifiers are applied to your attacks:
If you click flat-footed, it will use the enemy's flat-footed AC to determine whether you have hit or missed.
Partilal Conc will apply partial concealment penalties to your attack.

I'm trying to find where it's covered in the wiki, but I'm having a hard time with that one.
Pretty sure it's there somewhere.

EDIT: I guess the documentation doesn't cover that. It seems to just cover the CoreRPG part (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/885684/Defining+Standard+Modifiers+for+Actions) (not the PFRPG buttons that you're asking about). Hopefully my answer points you in the right direction!

EDIT 2: To apply the flat footed condition to a character you use effects (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/950877/PFRPG+and+3.5E+Effects) from the effects window (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/918257/Tracking+Conditions+and+Effects) (where you can drag and drop to character tracker).

Ibrene
September 28th, 2020, 02:30
Brilliant.. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Kelrugem
September 28th, 2020, 03:02
Yes, the attack part of the modifiers mean "You assume that the attacked person/defender is/has [whatever you click there]" (except touch and opportunity, then the sentence doesn't make sense :D But there it is clear that they make your attacks as touch and opportunity).

The damage part of course just affects your damage rolled

and the generic part is about creating mod-buttons which you can click to modify any next roll(s) :) (below the chat is the mod box, there you see the next total modifier given by clicking on these buttons, you can also drag them into the hotkeys :) )

Ibrene
September 29th, 2020, 00:27
OK, so I have tried to work out a "Flanking" where I get a +2 to attack...39779 See screen shot.. Flanking; ATK:2
My test rogue has +4 to attack as a base and when I add my new modifier I see it adds a dot in the modifier box in the bottom left corner, so that is good... When I roll the attack, the Flanking text shows, but the +2 seem to not add to the already +4 to attack.. it should now be +6, right? See here: 39780
There is a "number" box in the "Modifiers" menu where I can add any number and when I add the 2 then the attack is +6 as it should be, but the syntax ATK:2 should take care of that, right? My test rogue Merisiel is one of the downloadable pregens and she has a Flanking Combat Maneouver with syntax in her actions tab, so I'm pretty sure the syntax is right. I could of course just use that, but I want to learn how to do this right. The Self/All Effect works like a charm and adds a +2 to her for one round, but I just cant seem to work our how the Modifiers menu wants my syntax? Am I missing some brackets or something like that? Any advice is much appreciated.
I'll be running an after school D&D club at the school where I work (remotely, via FGU) and I want to incorporate some problem solving for the kids.. but in order for me to do this... I need to know how to do it myself, ha ha.
Normally we would play on Wednesdays from 15.20 to 16.30 but then Covid hit and we needed to socially distance. During lockdown in March to June 2020 I ran the club from home and my 6 players used FGU to access my game. It was a steep learning curve, but the kids really loved it. Now it is a new group of kids and only 2 of my originals know FGU a bit. Luckily they are really super kids and "mentor" material.

Kelrugem
September 29th, 2020, 00:33
OK, so I have tried to work out a "Flanking" where I get a +2 to attack...39779 See screen shot.. Flanking; ATK:2
My test rogue has +4 to attack as a base and when I add my new modifier I see it adds a dot in the modifier box in the bottom left corner, so that is good... When I roll the attack, the Flanking text shows, but the +2 seem to not add to the already +4 to attack.. it should now be +6, right? See here: 39780
There is a "number" box in the "Modifiers" menu where I can add any number and when I add the 2 then the attack is +6 as it should be, but the syntax ATK:2 should take care of that, right? My test rogue Merisiel is one of the downloadable pregens and she has a Flanking Combat Maneouver with syntax in her actions tab, so I'm pretty sure the syntax is right. I could of course just use that, but I want to learn how to do this right. The Self/All Effect works like a charm and adds a +2 to her for one round, but I just cant seem to work our how the Modifiers menu wants my syntax? Am I missing some brackets or something like that? Any advice is much appreciated.
I'll be running an after school D&D club at the school where I work (remotely, via FGU) and I want to incorporate some problem solving for the kids.. but in order for me to do this... I need to know how to do it myself, ha ha.
Normally we would play on Wednesdays from 15.20 to 16.30 but then Covid hit and we needed to socially distance. During lockdown in March to June 2020 I ran the club from home and my 6 players used FGU to access my game. It was a steep learning curve, but the kids really loved it. Now it is a new group of kids and only 2 of my originals know FGU a bit. Luckily they are really super kids and "mentor" material.

No, the ATK: 2 does not do anything here, that field is just for the label :) ATK:2 is an effect and needs to be saved either in the effects window, actions tab (and then applied from one of these locations), or you manually enter it as one-shot effect into the effects section of the CT :) (though the mod window is fine with this 2 in the number box)

So: Mods are something different than effects :) A mod is just a number, affecting any next roll(s) :) (though not all rolls, there can be some unaffected rolls, depends on ruleset)

And very nice that you play it with some kids :D Hope it will work out :)

bmos
September 29th, 2020, 00:33
Normally we would play on Wednesdays from 15.20 to 16.30 but then Covid hit and we needed to socially distance. During lockdown in March to June 2020 I ran the club from home and my 6 players used FGU to access my game. It was a steep learning curve, but the kids really loved it. Now it is a new group of kids and only 2 of my originals know FGU a bit. Luckily they are really super kids and "mentor" material.While that would be the correct code for an effect, the modifiers are much simpler. Just type Flanking in the text field, click the 0 to the right and type 2.
There is no syntax to modifiers, just a simple +/- number (hence the icon). The effect that you have written could be entered in the Effects list as a custom effect.
It is my understanding that modifiers was the old way to do such things (and still a good way sometimes) and that effects is a more recent addition to the program.

I wish I had someone to GM for me when I was in school! Good on you for getting the next generation hooked ;) and with Pathfinder no less!

EDIT: nice, Kelrugem and I were within a minute of each other.

Ibrene
September 29th, 2020, 00:45
Haha ... awesome. I was just over complicating it,

Ibrene
September 29th, 2020, 02:25
I've been doing it in international schools for close to 15 years. Started my first group with Pathfinder 1st ed and later moved back to 3.5 and ran Shackled City up till the characters were level 7, then new kids came and we started on Savage Tide 3 years ago and they reached level 8. It's hard when we can only play for 1 hour on a Wednesday, ha ha. My new group (2 mentors and 4 novices) will be experiencing the Kingmaker sandbox via Pathfinder 1st ed (I have most of the books and did not want to learn 5th ed AND start a new group with a system I'm not comfortable with). My "adult" group I will DM in a few months time will start on Age of Worms via PF1st. Cant wait to start that one.

SgtPrylo
October 1st, 2020, 17:25
I think you have your question answered, but I can add what we've learned using the Modifiers window. As an example, I ran an encounter last night where there was (among other things) an orc scout in a watchtower across a field obscured by smoke. When the ranger attacked, he pressed 'Cover', then 'Concealment', then rolled his attack. FGU calculated the result with the -4 for cover: if a hit, it then rolled the 20% Miss chance; if a miss, the 20% roll was ignored.

At one point he rolled a critical hit. Pressing the 'Critical' button and rolling damage auto-rolled the appropriate damage.

As a side, I've discovered the joys of creating effects for player's to add like Hunter's Bond, Inspire Courage etc. Huge time saver.

bmos
October 1st, 2020, 17:28
As a side, I've discovered the joys of creating effects for player's to add like Hunter's Bond, Inspire Courage etc. Huge time saver.Have you seen this?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18006-Effects-library

Kelrugem
October 1st, 2020, 17:39
I think you have your question answered, but I can add what we've learned using the Modifiers window. As an example, I ran an encounter last night where there was (among other things) an orc scout in a watchtower across a field obscured by smoke. When the ranger attacked, he pressed 'Cover', then 'Concealment', then rolled his attack. FGU calculated the result with the -4 for cover: if a hit, it then rolled the 20% Miss chance; if a miss, the 20% roll was ignored.

At one point he rolled a critical hit. Pressing the 'Critical' button and rolling damage auto-rolled the appropriate damage.

As a side, I've discovered the joys of creating effects for player's to add like Hunter's Bond, Inspire Courage etc. Huge time saver.

Critical damage is by the way automatically rolled, no need for the modifier button :) (you just need this in case you need to manually force a crit :) )

SgtPrylo
October 1st, 2020, 17:57
Yes! It was this list that actually got me going. What I struggle with now is setting the durations. Some things are obvious, some not so much.

SgtPrylo
October 1st, 2020, 18:00
Two things with this: 1) I set the options so the players could roll their own crit confirmation, they liked it that way. I couldn't get the auto-crit-damage roll to work in that setup. 2) I found that x3 crit dmg like on a bow was not working properly in the auto-roll scenario.

In the end, the players love rolling their own, despite the extra steps. NPCs are still set to auto-roll.

Kelrugem
October 1st, 2020, 18:03
Two things with this: 1) I set the options so the players could roll their own crit confirmation, they liked it that way. I couldn't get the auto-crit-damage roll to work in that setup. 2) I found that x3 crit dmg like on a bow was not working properly in the auto-roll scenario.

In the end, the players love rolling their own, despite the extra steps. NPCs are still set to auto-roll.

the crit confirm does not work correctly with manual rolls (in sense of automation) :) That may be fixed in the next patch :)

bmos
October 1st, 2020, 18:27
Yes! It was this list that actually got me going. What I struggle with now is setting the durations. Some things are obvious, some not so much.As far as I know, longer durations are just informational and the effects still need to be removed manually. Considering this, it's not terribly important for durations longer than a few minutes (since you typically don't advance the rounds out of combat).

Someday I want to try and automate them also using the clock.

Ibrene
October 2nd, 2020, 02:07
Brilliant. Thanks for sharing. Great ideas...

SgtPrylo
October 2nd, 2020, 12:22
As far as I know, longer durations are just informational and the effects still need to be removed manually. Considering this, it's not terribly important for durations longer than a few minutes (since you typically don't advance the rounds out of combat).

Someday I want to try and automate them also using the clock.

I don't know that you'll get value out of using the realtime clock compared to the work you'd put in. You can spend an hour realtime playing out a scene that takes 5 minutes in gametime. Seems like it would create work for the GM to start and stop the clock.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 2nd, 2020, 13:13
In fact, I think that relying on your system's real clock is complicated.
But you can say for example:
The heroes go towards the ruin and show the date and time and from there the time runs naturally, calculating the travel time, defining the time per shift (as this varies according to the rules system).
And with the possibility of pausing (for when you need to consult something) or even when the campaign ends.
I know this is too advanced but it would be interesting.
I am not a programmer but a beacon ... in my daydreams with the light source that is the means to have dynamic lighting, I imagined the following.
Let's say the player enters a dungeon and lights a torch.
I go and set the Torch to last 1 hour, but as time goes by, its range decreases until it goes out ... that would be really cool!

SgtPrylo
October 2nd, 2020, 13:25
In fact, I think that relying on your system's real clock is complicated.
But you can say for example:
The heroes go towards the ruin and show the date and time and from there the time runs naturally, calculating the travel time, defining the time per shift (as this varies according to the rules system).
And with the possibility of pausing (for when you need to consult something) or even when the campaign ends.
I know this is too advanced but it would be interesting.
I am not a programmer but a beacon ... in my daydreams with the light source that is the means to have dynamic lighting, I imagined the following.
Let's say the player enters a dungeon and lights a torch.
I go and set the Torch to last 1 hour, but as time goes by, its range decreases until it goes out ... that would be really cool!

I just want torches and Light spells to work right now...

bmos
October 2nd, 2020, 13:28
I don't know that you'll get value out of using the realtime clock compared to the work you'd put in. You can spend an hour realtime playing out a scene that takes 5 minutes in gametime. Seems like it would create work for the GM to start and stop the clock.My idea is not to use the real clock but rather the in-game clock (in the calendar window and--by extension--the ClockAdjuster extension). Spells/effects don't expire after real-world intervals but rather in-game intervals, obviously.

I just want torches and Light spells to work right now...The devs have said that some implementation of that is coming to Unity, eventually (after 'stable' release) :)

SgtPrylo
October 2nd, 2020, 13:33
My idea is not to use the real clock but rather the in-game clock (in the calendar window and--by extension--the ClockAdjuster extension). Spells/effects don't expire after real-world intervals but rather in-game intervals, obviously.

Color me foolish, then, didn't even know that was a thing.

bmos
October 2nd, 2020, 13:50
Color me foolish, then, didn't even know that was a thing.Don't sweat it :)
The in-game clock is pretty basic and doesn't have any automation without ClockAdjuster, so most groups don't use it.
There is also no way to adjust it with a trackpad (without ClockAdjuster), which IMO is pretty weird.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 2nd, 2020, 13:51
I would love to see such an implementation! And I would love it even more if he was the "base" of the platform.