PDA

View Full Version : From 3.5e to 5e

kilma.ard.venom
September 27th, 2020, 19:53
Hello there!

Could you please tell me the easiest way to move my campaign from 3.5e to 5e. I don't mean statblocks conversion. The most obvious way is to clean campaign data from 3.5e specific elements (feats, skills, etc.) using Notepad++, but I'm not sure that will do. I've already transferred it from FGC to FGU.

Granamere
September 27th, 2020, 20:10
This is very open ended. What do you want to bring to 5e? It might be easiest to end your current adventure then make new characters with the current chars item and status and start from there kind of fresh in 5e. If you are trying to move custom content I would export it then start a new 5e campaign and you the universal module extension so you could load it in the new campaign. By custom content I mean maps, items, etc. If you have built out custom classes and feats that might get a bit trickery.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension

With a little more info of what you want to bring to the 5e setting I think the people here can help you out with how to do it. :)

kilma.ard.venom
September 27th, 2020, 21:30
Thank you, Granamere! I'll look into this extension. I meant items, maps, npcs (description), places, story, notes, etc. Everything linked together. We will convert PCs and then create them within the campaign.

LordEntrails
September 27th, 2020, 22:46
So export your current campaign into a module, then use the extension Granamere linked, open it in a new 5E campaign. You can then copy those things into your campaign you want (or not) and then close the module (or not).

kilma.ard.venom
September 27th, 2020, 22:55
Thanks!

RocksFall
September 28th, 2020, 23:53
Why would you want to go to 5E? *Shudder*

kilma.ard.venom
September 29th, 2020, 10:12
Why would you want to go to 5E? *Shudder*It's easier. To grapple for instance. The only "-" is that 5e lacks my favourite Book of Nine Swords and some character classes (incl. prestige ones).

kilma.ard.venom
September 29th, 2020, 21:38
Well, I've got a lot of work to do: NPCs and images from scratch. The good news is story and quests imported without any errors.

Granamere
September 30th, 2020, 19:59
So what were the NPC images in 3.5e? With the universal module extension you should be able to open older modules and rulebooks.

kilma.ard.venom
September 30th, 2020, 22:11
The code in DB.xml is a bit different. The only thing I saw were small sized windows with grey background.

3.5e

<id-00036>
<image type="image">
<layers />
</image>
<isidentified type="number">0</isidentified>
<locked type="number">1</locked>
<name type="string">Близнецы Зибершурс</name>
<nonid_name type="string">Иноземец</nonid_name>
<toolbar type="number">0</toolbar>
</id-00036>

5e

<id-00002>
<image type="image">
<uselos>on</uselos>
<grid>on</grid>
<gridsize>47,47</gridsize>
<gridoffset>-2,0</gridoffset>
<gridsnap>on</gridsnap>
<color>#FFFC0000</color>
<brushsize>4.7,4.7</brushsize>
<layers>
<layer>
<name>cave interior.jpg</name>
<id>0</id>
<parentid>-1</parentid>
<type>image</type>
<bitmap>campaign/images/cave interior.jpg</bitmap>
<occluders>
</occluders>
</layer>
</layers>
</image>
<locked type="number">1</locked>
<name type="string">cave interior</name>
</id-00002>

I copied them in a new campaign folder and added similar layer block in db.xml. It helps, but you need to reset zoom and resize a window manually.

I suppose the reason is simple. My campaign was originally made in FGC. The thing that bothers me is that window size is ok, when I load campaing using 3.5 ruleset, and is set to small square windows with 5e.

LordEntrails
October 1st, 2020, 16:57
That code looks like a difference between FGC and FGU. Not the rulesets themselves.