PDA

View Full Version : Porting over FGC (solo) adventures to FoudryVTT

The Demiurge
September 26th, 2020, 21:33
OG from 1st and 2nd ed and now want to play 5th ed BUT want to try the solo modules first. A couple of things, I'm on a mac and plan to stay there for the foreseeable future. I downloaded FGU and discovered it's completely broken at this point as it's seems to be still deep in alpha. The issue is the FGU process causes the mac to run VERY hot and blows through the battery on my macbook pro. FG is clearly having problems optimizing the FGU engine.

With that said, is it possible to buy the adventures on (DnD beyond has zero solo adventures) dmsguild.com and port those adventures over to FoundryVTT? Has anyone had any success in doing so? I'd buy into FGU but the engine is quite unusable at this time and what's the point of buying FGC if at sometime in the near future I'll have to pay for the upgrade. Foundry works perfect and appears to have everything that FGU. DnDBeyond doesn't have ANY SOLO adventures as far as I can tell hence my initial point, can I port the solo adventures I find on dmsguild.com to Foundry?

Moon Wizard
September 26th, 2020, 21:34
Have you tried the new build that we released on Thursday night? It has a fix specifically for Mac CPU spiking.

JPG

The Demiurge
September 26th, 2020, 22:34
I downloaded the app from fantasygrounds.com (FGU) again... and still have the same issue where the fan kicks in as if the cpu and energy consumption are much more than usual. My battery is draining like crazy compared to using Google Chrome. For instance using Activity Monitor: FG is at 200.00 and Google Chrome is at 2.0.

The FGU version is v4.00 FREE (2020-09-24)

Another indicator something is wrong is when FGU is running and I move an app to another window it moves MUCH slower. I'm currently losing about 7% to 8%
of my battery every 5 minutes.

So the update hasn't improved the FGU it seems. I've seen the high cpu usage issue being spoken about months ago on youtube... This is one of the reasons FG will lose market share to Foundry if they can nail down what the issue is... The only thing holding me back from Foundry is the severe lack of solo modules...

EDIT: I've just downloaded the windows version on my gaming PC (Acer Predator 2019 16GB) and the fan issue is GONE. There are no cpu/gpu spiking issues. Amazing. For whatever reason the MacBook Pro 2014 16GB is having problems. I'll be buying the new ARM mac in November and wonder if it will perform without issues but at this time I'll be using the Windows version of FGU. Glad to be apart of the family now! :D