PDA

View Full Version : Ranges on Maps / Hexes

TheFabulousIronChef
September 26th, 2020, 20:02
Not sure what is going on here, but I cannot seem to get FGU to count hexes appropriately (it is counting 3 yards as 1, 4 yards as 2, etc.).

I must be doing something wrong, it's just not clear what. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

seycyrus
September 27th, 2020, 04:59
I started playing around with movement the other night and noticed this as well. At the time, I thought I was just doing something wrong.

TheFabulousIronChef
September 27th, 2020, 15:26
Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is, being new to Fantasy Grounds. Sometimes the hex ranges are weird. I also do not know what the options for "Range: On" or "Range: Off" does, if anything, on images. It doesn't seem to do anything for me.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
September 27th, 2020, 16:10
Yes, we have this counting problem, when moving the token when the locking system is active, but only in hexagons.
The movement inside the hexagons is not accurate, it seems that the token is not attached to the grid.
In the case of GURPS we have the problem of not being able to use the tool that allows changing the unit of measurement, which indicates the distance modifier and which allows determining the value of each hexagon.

ronnke
September 28th, 2020, 09:42
Yes, we have this counting problem, when moving the token when the locking system is active, but only in hexagons.
The movement inside the hexagons is not accurate, it seems that the token is not attached to the grid.
In the case of GURPS we have the problem of not being able to use the tool that allows changing the unit of measurement, which indicates the distance modifier and which allows determining the value of each hexagon.

Has this been reported to the FGU devs as an issue?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
September 28th, 2020, 09:59
No Ronnke, I just posted here.

ronnke
September 28th, 2020, 10:14
No Ronnke, I just posted here.

You should report it. Hexs are not commonly used so the devs may not be aware of the issue.

pindercarl
September 28th, 2020, 16:35
Thanks everybody. I'm taking a look at this now.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
September 28th, 2020, 16:53
Thanks pindercarl !

TheFabulousIronChef
September 29th, 2020, 02:04
Quick update: it also seems to be off when measuring ranges to a target. See the attached screenshot. Orcs 1, 2, and 3 are all technically three hexes away from our swashbuckler, Andrew Jamieson. However...Orc 2 shows up as two hexes away. Not sure if this is related.

Oddly, the pointer, I believe, gets this correct, measuring from the center point of the hex to the center point of the target hex.

ronnke
September 29th, 2020, 02:37
Thanks everybody. I'm taking a look at this now.

Thanks for looking into this. :)

mikegraf
September 29th, 2020, 02:49
Thanks - definitely an issue I have seen with hexes on (not square grids).

Great feature and I am sure this issue will be easily fixed

mikegraf
October 3rd, 2020, 06:59
Just adding that last update seems to have "improved" the issue with distance measurement under Locked Tokens for Hex grids. Was looking really good but found a situation where the target distance (under Combat Tracker and on arrow from PC token to NPC) was 55', yet when rolled the range in game (using Rolemaster rule set) was 44'.

Moon Wizard
October 3rd, 2020, 17:26
That should probably be reported in the Rolemaster ruleset forum. I believe that all the "range" calculations for attacks are done by the ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 3rd, 2020, 18:41
I believe that it is done by the ruleset yes, but the case is that in the classic version it works and in unity it doesn't.

Moon Wizard
October 3rd, 2020, 19:16
Understood, but FG client doesn't do a "range" calculation (other than putting numbers on pointers/targeting); so any "range" calculation used in the ruleset is calculated there. I'm not familiar with Rolemaster, so I have no idea where to look.

JPG

mikegraf
October 4th, 2020, 00:57
That should probably be reported in the Rolemaster ruleset forum. I believe that all the "range" calculations for attacks are done by the ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks Moon Wizard - maybe a Ruleset, though it is correct for most of the ranges, but on some fails. Maybe just worth checking, which is why I raised it.

TheFabulousIronChef
October 4th, 2020, 04:09
Thanks Moon Wizard - maybe a Ruleset, though it is correct for most of the ranges, but on some fails. Maybe just worth checking, which is why I raised it.

I am finding that in the GURPS ruleset, if the token in centered on the hex, it sometimes measures from one edge to another edge, and thus is one hex short. If I hold down the CTRL key and move the token back a tiny bit, it displays the right range.

Ergo: The first one is correct at 4 hexes, but move closer, and it shows 1 instead of 2. The final shows that if I move the target token down a bit, it displays the correct distance.

BUT movement seems to be fixed.

Moon Wizard
October 4th, 2020, 07:24
So, you are saying that on hex grids, the movement is correct; but targeting is still off sometimes?

Thanks,
JPG

TheFabulousIronChef
October 4th, 2020, 15:10
So, you are saying that on hex grids, the movement is correct; but targeting is still off sometimes?

Thanks,
JPG

Yes, that is correct. Targeting is often, but not always, correct. Movement seems to be correct. I think if the targeting was measuring from the center of one hex to the center of another hex, it might get it correct, but I'm not sure. Perhaps related, perhaps not, rotation with the mousewheel does not work (on a Mac). I think I saw this mentioned in another thread, but I can confirm it.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 4th, 2020, 16:13
I did some tests in video form, using only the GURPS Ruleset, without any extension.
In the video I will put a neutral token, a hostile token and an allied token.
Grid and token will be locked, I will test the movement with the directional arrows on the numeric keypad.
And the movement through the mouse, in the two positions of the hexagon.
The video will be silent because I speak Portuguese and I believe that nobody would understand, but I believe that the video can illustrate the situation well, I will make the same video in Fantasy Grounds Classic to show the tool that changes the unit of measure and its value.
The map is a simple 2048x2048 (72dpi) white jpg.
I hope this can help everyone.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 4th, 2020, 16:22
The video was canceled because the measurement unit change is not working even in the classic version.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 4th, 2020, 17:35
GURPS - FANTASY GROUNDS CLASSIC (TOKEN AND HEXAGON MOVE) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NxLSiy1e4)
GURPS - FANTASY GROUNDS UNITY (TOKEN AND HEXAGON MOVE) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXKrLCsPtF0&feature=youtu.be)

Padre Moto
October 17th, 2020, 21:41

Thanks,
JPG

Hello!

Just wondering if there are any updates to report?

I've noticed that the range calculation remains buggy on my maps.

Curiously when I move the various tokens to different locations on the map, the ranges will sometimes self-correct, and sometimes return to being inaccurate.

Thanks for any updates if available at this time.

Padre Moto

Moon Wizard
October 17th, 2020, 22:58
Carl actually submitted fixes for several of the hex/iso distance calculation bugs already.

Can you provide more detail and/or screenshots on what is still not working for you?

Thanks,
JPG

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 17th, 2020, 23:23
I only have token movement problems when I use directional arrows, when I do this it does not move correctly to the next hexagon, however if I move using the mouse it moves correctly.

Padre Moto
October 17th, 2020, 23:36
Carl actually submitted fixes for several of the hex/iso distance calculation bugs already.

Can you provide more detail and/or screenshots on what is still not working for you?

Thanks,
JPG

Righto.

I'm uploading the screen shots to show some of the differences in the calculated ranges between tokens that I haven't moved, and then a token that I do move. Hopefully this will help. Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong at my end.

Cheers,
Padre Moto

pindercarl
October 19th, 2020, 00:47
Righto.

I'm uploading the screen shots to show some of the differences in the calculated ranges between tokens that I haven't moved, and then a token that I do move. Hopefully this will help. Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong at my end.

Cheers,
Padre Moto

Thanks for the images, that cleared things up nicely. I was able to identify the issue and correct. This should be fixed in the next release.

Padre Moto
October 19th, 2020, 02:10
Thanks so much :)

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 19th, 2020, 02:18
Thanks pindercarl

Padre Moto
October 25th, 2020, 02:37
Thanks for the images, that cleared things up nicely. I was able to identify the issue and correct. This should be fixed in the next release.

Thanks for the fix in the update!

I tested different ranges this afternoon and moved tokens around and everything calculated well.

Padre Moto
November 26th, 2020, 06:17
Hello,

So a strange thing.

When we ran a combat tonight, the ranges were not correct on my maps as GM, although the players apparently saw the correct ranges.

I'm attaching the screen shots of what I'm seeing as GM. Can someone please advise on what has changed yet again with the range calculations?

Thanks so much,

Padre Moto4144641447

Padre Moto
November 26th, 2020, 06:29
Even more peculiar, after sending that last post, I went to re-arrange the tokens, and voila, the correct ranges appeared.

So I loaded a different map, placed the tokens, and the same issue in the screenshots above replicated. And they didn't correct after numerous re-arranging of locations.

So I'm quite perplexed lol

Padre Moto

Moon Wizard
November 26th, 2020, 08:12
The boxes on the toolbar are not part of CoreRPG; and we'd have to get verification from the ruleset dev whether they are overriding onMeasurePointer event (which I assume they are from the extra boxes). If so, then the measurement is all done by the ruleset/extension that added those fields and event handling.

Regards,
JPG

ronnke
November 27th, 2020, 02:24
The boxes on the toolbar are not part of CoreRPG; and we'd have to get verification from the ruleset dev whether they are overriding onMeasurePointer event (which I assume they are from the extra boxes). If so, then the measurement is all done by the ruleset/extension that added those fields and event handling.

Regards,
JPG

The onMeasurePointer is being overridden. I will update the ruleset to address those issues in FGU.

Padre Moto
November 27th, 2020, 03:47
The onMeasurePointer is being overridden. I will update the ruleset to address those issues in FGU.

Thanks Ronnke!

seycyrus
December 22nd, 2020, 20:04
Thanks Ronnke!

Sorry for the confusion, but are the ranges still incorrect? They are for me at least.

Padre Moto
December 22nd, 2020, 22:22
Sorry for the confusion, but are the ranges still incorrect? They are for me at least.

Yes no change at this point. My "thank you" to Ronnke above was simply in acknowledgment that he will look into it when he has opportunity.

X the Unknown
March 15th, 2021, 17:16
Hello All. Any update on this? It would really be great if the ranges worked correctly.

ronnke
March 15th, 2021, 23:56
Hello All. Any update on this? It would really be great if the ranges worked correctly.

New update which fixes this and a few other FGU issues will drop some time today.

X the Unknown
March 16th, 2021, 18:01
New update which fixes this and a few other FGU issues will drop some time today.

Yes!!! Thank you so much!

X the Unknown
March 17th, 2021, 02:27
The new update works like a charm. Thanks again.

Padre Moto
March 17th, 2021, 05:29
Hi,

Sad to say, the range only works correctly when I'm using a square grid, but if I change to hex, it measures ranges incorrectly as before.

Am I doing something wrong in laying down a hex grid on the map?

ronnke
March 17th, 2021, 05:45
Hi,

Sad to say, the range only works correctly when I'm using a square grid, but if I change to hex, it measures ranges incorrectly as before.

Am I doing something wrong in laying down a hex grid on the map?

Is the ruleset version being displayed as v3.6.0? If not, then you may not have updated the ruleset correctly. You may also need to re-apply the grid to the map.

Padre Moto
March 17th, 2021, 06:00
Hi,

Thanks Ronnke...I gratefully stand corrected. I did not see the latest ruleset posted in the Forum.

All is well. Thank so much!!