PDA

View Full Version : Light Theme and Dark Theme Oddities

TheFabulousIronChef
September 25th, 2020, 19:02
I am new to FGU (coming over from Roll20, hopefully) and am learning its eccentricities and quirks. I really like the new themes, but there are some oddities.

The Dark Theme "Story" text is nigh unreadable (see attached).
The Dark Theme background image has a weird gray bar to the right that is not present in the Light Theme. Any way to use the Dark Theme background image without that gray bar, either with the Dark Theme or the Light Theme?
It's a little odd that emoting in the Dark Theme has the same color as the rest of the text, while emoting in the Light Theme uses a different color
Having said that, which seems like a lot of complaining, thanks for the themes. The text is much better than what I was using for the GURPS ruleset/theme.
I guess the last question is, how easy/difficult is it to modify this theme by putting in a custom background, and what size does the image need to be?

Thanks in advance.

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2020, 19:31
It may be something to do with your display settings but the contrast between the text and background is much more obvious for me. I'm not seeing the band either; not sure if the ruleset has anything to do with it.

jwatmough
September 25th, 2020, 19:38
These are indeed probably ruleset specific issues. Let us know which ruleset you are using and I can look into this for you.

Kelrugem
September 25th, 2020, 19:40
It may be something to do with your display settings but the contrast between the text and background is much more obvious for me. I'm not seeing the band either; not sure if the ruleset has anything to do with it.

I just tested in 5e, and have similar issues with 100% scaleui. I have black bar next to the background image, before the sidebar (but that could be the typical problem: The resolution of the background image is different to the monitor? I am not sure whether it is the best approach to have such a background because of different sort of resolutions :) )

There are indeed all sort of oddities, the "modifier" at the modifier box is nearly unreadable, the "menu" in the menu button of the CT seems to be too large on the other hand and so on (both themes) :) In the character sheet I also have a lot of just white bars over the ability and modifier numbers (just dark theme) :) (where you normally see STR etc., but that is not readable anymore)

EDIT: and the "put to background" arrows of images do not fit to the theme, but that is more a style problem rather than a bug or glitch :D

Kelrugem
September 25th, 2020, 19:52
The light theme certainly treats the background image better. It somehow looks like that the sidebar background of the dark theme is part of the background image and not really just put at the place of the sidebar, while the light theme does do that :) (and the chat font is a bit smaller, at least for the light theme, could that be; I am not sure, but the chat is somehow for me harder to read than usual :) )

TheFabulousIronChef
September 25th, 2020, 20:14
These are indeed probably ruleset specific issues. Let us know which ruleset you are using and I can look into this for you.

Thanks. It is the GURPS 4e ruleset.

Kelrugem
September 25th, 2020, 20:20
I guess the last question is, how easy/difficult is it to modify this theme by putting in a custom background, and what size does the image need to be?

The extensions are not encrypted, do you know how to open these? :) I think it should be possible to open these, and then you can look for the sizes of the corresponding images you want to replace :)

Sulimo
September 25th, 2020, 21:08
I noticed the grey bar with the RM ruleset for the Dark theme.

https://i.imgur.com/yCgR4TOl.jpg

This is in a new CoreRPG campaign, no extensions, and only the Dark Theme loaded.

https://i.imgur.com/P97P2f3l.jpg

This only seems to happen when FGU fills the screen. 1920x1080 resolution, either via the Maximize button or stretching it to fill the screen.

This is if I make the window small enough, the bar disappears.

https://i.imgur.com/Kp1jlcol.jpg

If I stretch it across two screens (both 1920x1080), it has a grey bar in the middle and on the right.

https://i.imgur.com/EPcn2LSh.jpg

humby
September 25th, 2020, 23:44
I've also noticed that in both of the new themes the background image doesn't stretch if you have a large screen - it just repeats itself (vertically and horizontally) and on the dark theme you get that grey band to boot...

In addition, the shortcuts at the bottom don't seem to line up properly on the dark theme.

My screen runs at 2560x1440

Edit: Thought I'd add some screenshots - these are both a maximised window @2560x1440 and I've resized them to save on bandwidth.

Kelrugem
September 26th, 2020, 00:13
I've also noticed that in both of the new themes the background image doesn't stretch if you have a large screen - it just repeats itself (vertically and horizontally) and on the dark theme you get that grey band to boot...

In addition, the shortcuts at the bottom don't seem to line up properly on the dark theme.

My screen runs at 2560x1440

Edit: Thought I'd add some screenshots - these are both a maximised window @2560x1440 and I've resized them to save on bandwidth.

The first thing is normal for FG, so, to account any resolution it tiles the background and repeats it :) Therefore the standard backgrounds are often very homogenous to blend that such that one can only see it when looking closely :) That is what I meant above that a more detailed background like this can look strange on certain resolutions (but this black bar is another problem)

Avalonhaze
September 26th, 2020, 02:56
The extensions are not encrypted, do you know how to open these? :) I think it should be possible to open these, and then you can look for the sizes of the corresponding images you want to replace :)

You say this but when I attempted to open a theme extension it look garbled, I was expecting an XML file like FG classic so who knows. Anyone have an ideas about building custom themes in Unity?

Kelrugem
September 26th, 2020, 03:00
You say this but when I attempted to open a theme extension it look garbled, I was expecting an XML file like FG classic so who knows. Anyone have an ideas about building custom themes in Unity?

How did you do this? I just tried and it works: Rename .ext to .zip, unzip and then go into the /graphics subfolder there :) You can replace them for example

About general theme builders: Themes are made as extensions, but there is also this as a helping tool: https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48071-GMW-Campaign-Toolkit-A-Theme-Builder-for-Fantasy-Grounds

Sulimo
September 26th, 2020, 03:00

The structure of the Extension looks pretty much the same to me.

https://i.imgur.com/jdKQR30.png

Avalonhaze
September 26th, 2020, 03:07
Okay guys I stand corrected, thanks that's useful

Kelrugem
September 27th, 2020, 17:39
Here are also some examples of 3.5e/PF1 in the dark theme (similar issues with bright theme, too) :) The fonts are very small and often blurry and/or weak like the "Name" below "Deekin Schuppensinger" (in general, not just in the sheet) and therefore difficult to read, also some fields do not fit anymore in the sheet (the weapon of the attacks and the spellbook of actions can not be seen anymore, especially the book is important to see whether it is a prepared or spontaneous spellcaster etc.) :) (surely also partially due to ruleset, because I think these new themes are normally created only with 5e in mind?) Some entries like the weapon damage die look sharp on the other side and are way easier to read :)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39753&stc=1&d=1601224701
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39754&stc=1&d=1601224712

I really like the themes, they just feel not complete/finished yet; hopefully okay to make some review/critics :)

Best,

Kelrugem

TheFabulousIronChef
September 28th, 2020, 02:06
(surely also partially due to ruleset, because I think these new themes are normally created only with 5e in mind?)

Yep. In the GURPS ruleset, the dark theme makes the attributes label unreadable; the light theme makes the hotkeys unreadable. [Sigh]

TheFabulousIronChef
September 28th, 2020, 20:09
Is there a handy guide to what the references in the file "graphics_fonts.xml" point toward? So, for example, in Kelugrem's screenshot, it would benefit him if either the white text under "attacks" was a darker color, or if the yellowish/tan boxes were a darker color. Does anyone know what those references are in the XML file that is part of the extensions? The yellowish/tan box may be in some other xml file that is part of either the extension or the ruleset--I'd love to know how to easily change that. Thanks.

TheFabulousIronChef
September 28th, 2020, 20:44
Is there a handy guide to what the references in the file "graphics_fonts.xml" point toward? So, for example, in Kelugrem's screenshot, it would benefit him if either the white text under "attacks" was a darker color, or if the yellowish/tan boxes were a darker color. Does anyone know what those references are in the XML file that is part of the extensions? The yellowish/tan box may be in some other xml file that is part of either the extension or the ruleset--I'd love to know how to easily change that. Thanks.

Actually, it looks like in the GURPS ruleset, it is an image called "attributelabel.png" in the "frames" section. So in theory I could darken that using GIMP or the like. The issue that comes up is, how does one change that back to a *.pak file that works? Is it just changing *.pak to *.zip, unzipping, changing the file, rezipping, and changing back from *.zip to *.pak? I tried that and it seemed to screw up everything with the ruleset to the point where I had to undo all of it.

Zacchaeus
September 28th, 2020, 21:15
When you zip back up select all the files inside the main folder and not the folder itself. Then change the .zip to .pak

LordEntrails
September 28th, 2020, 21:36

No, but there is this; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36035-Art-Asset-List-for-5e-Themes

Kelrugem
October 2nd, 2020, 01:08
Uuuh, thanks Joshua for the update, except that some fonts are still blurry the themes now look really nice :) And good work on the background, I was worrying about whether it can work to tile such a detailed background, but this background tiles perfectly now :D

amerigoV
October 4th, 2020, 15:32
In the Savage Worlds (SWADE) ruleset using the Dark Theme, the Bennies are not appearing in the Combat Tracker (they are there and function, but you just do not see the number). This works fine in the Light version and the other themes/modules that I use.

jwatmough
October 4th, 2020, 17:11
Thanks Kelrugem, the fonts are being looked at and will be adjusted soon. I will make those adjustments amerigoV, thank you for pointing that out.

amerigoV
October 7th, 2020, 03:46
Thanks Kelrugem, the fonts are being looked at and will be adjusted soon. I will make those adjustments amerigoV, thank you for pointing that out.

Thanks for looking into it. I have a horror game that I am prepping and the Dark is in a neck and neck race with the Dungeon theme for the game :)

mlbrown
October 9th, 2020, 04:08
Sorry if I missed someone else reporting this, but both light and dark have font color issues. In dark I had black text on a dark gray background, but that may have been in a module file so out of the control of the theme. However, in light, the main tab of the party sheet has light yellow headers on a white background, e.g. the attributes. I like the general appearance of both of these themes but you have to be able to read the text.

sciencesean
January 10th, 2021, 18:20
Slightly off-topic but if you're using the Montserrat font extension then it also makes the text black, which is pretty impossible to read with the Dark theme but turning off that extension does fix the problem.