PDA

View Full Version : Switching to FGU mid campaign.

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 12:10
Is it possible to just copy my FGC campaign across to FGU and carry on? Or does that cause problems?

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2020, 12:23
Yes, and possibly - depending on a few things. First you'll need to clear all of the PCs ownership since your players will be connecting with different names. Second if you use extensions those might cause issues if they don't work in FGU. Otherwise there shouldn't be any issues.

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 12:42
Cheers I would switch off all extensions first. I do use a lot. I know most work in FGU but would still test.

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 14:57
So I did as you suggested. Cleared all character ownerships, and cleared all extensions. Campaign loaded, but none of the characters appear in the character selection window. The campaign tracker is blank of both characters and NPCs that are there in the FGC campaign. All the modules load.

None of my story entries are there, but the pins I made for them are on the map, and the player tokens are also on the map where they were left in FGC campaign.

I copied across the campaign folder and the cache folder for the specific campaign. Should there have been anything else? I have the default file locations:

FGC C:\User\appdata\roaming\fantsy grounds\....
FGU C:\User\appdata\roaming\smiteworks\fantasy grounds\...

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 15:03
If I copy the campaign within the FGC folder, It loads and is a straight duplicate

LordEntrails
September 25th, 2020, 17:23
Follow this process and the character ownership mentioned by Mr Z. Also be aware that player notes may have to be copied because of change in user names.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55522-How-to-Migrate-a-FGC-Campaign-to-FGU

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2020, 17:41
As I noted above it may depend on the extensions you are using. I've seen reports of characters not loading because the user was using some kind of spell token extension which I'm not familiar with.

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 17:43
Follow this process and the character ownership mentioned by Mr Z. Also be aware that player notes may have to be copied because of change in user names.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55522-How-to-Migrate-a-FGC-Campaign-to-FGU
I did exactly that.

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 17:45
As I noted above it may depend on the extensions you are using. I've seen reports of characters not loading because the user was using some kind of spell token extension which I'm not familiar with.

This might be it. I’ll unload all extensions and related modules and see if that works. Not sure why story entries, NPCs, encounters would also go missing.

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2020, 18:00
This might be it. I’ll unload all extensions and related modules and see if that works. Not sure why story entries, NPCs, encounters would also go missing.

If those are self created then they should be there but again it may be related to something in the character part of the xml. FGU might get to a point in the xml and give up so not reaching the bit beyond the bit it doesn't like. If these things are edits to something in the campaign they'll be in the moduledb folder. But if you copy the campaign folder in its entirety then you'll also be taking that folder with you.

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 18:22
So I've done a bit more work. I created a copy of the campaign in the FGC folder and renamed it. Loaded that copy and removed all extensions, all modules (and tokens) except the campaign module where I've added story entries etc.
I then closed down FGC and copied the campaign folder over to the FGU campaign folder.
When I load that up I do notice an error in the log window. Console log attached. The CT is also clear, and even the NPCs are missing.

Again, no characters loaded, but the tokens are on the map

The story entry has two links that I've added, and encounter for the main NPC characters and a link to a better map for myself. Neither link now works, but the image is in the images folder. The encounter link creates a blank encounter entry.

If I exit FGU and then reload the campaign, the error in the log is still there, but now the tokens on the map are replaced with a ? even though the name of the characters appears if I mouse over as a tool tip.

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 18:38
If I create a new campaign in FGC, add the new module I want to run, add a character and a link in a story entry, the campaign loads fine in FGU.

It would appear that the campaign I've been copying might be corrupt in some way in FGU.

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2020, 18:41
One of the extensions you've used in your campaigns is adding a colon into the XML tags; which is treated as a special character for XML indicating prefixes that have special meaning in XML. Since the FGU parser is stricter and attempts to parse the prefixes, then your database load is failing.

The colons in the XML will have to be cleaned up before moving over your campaign; and the extension disabled that is adding those.

Regards,
JPG

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 18:47
One of the extensions you've used in your campaigns is adding a colon into the XML tags; which is treated as a special character for XML indicating prefixes that have special meaning in XML. Since the FGU parser is stricter and attempts to parse the prefixes, then your database load is failing.

The colons in the XML will have to be cleaned up before moving over your campaign; and the extension disabled that is adding those.

Regards,
JPG

I have no extensions loading in either FGC or FGU. But how would i clean up the xml file? And where is it?

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2020, 18:49
At some point, you may have used an extension which added data, even if it's off now. The incorrect data is already there; and FGC uses a very simple XML engine that won't auto-correct.

You can try posting the file here (db.xml) to see if it's a quick fix one of us can help fix. The gist of the issue is that the ":" character is being used between the "<>" tags used to define the XML, which is causing an issue.

Regards,
JPG

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 18:56
Well here's the db.xml file. (I'm assuming that it's the FGC campaign version you need?)

I hope you can help.

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2020, 19:38
Try this one. There were several places where there was an error as described by MW above. It seems to open ok now at least the PCs are there and the CT is populated; but I don't know what should or should not be there.

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 20:51
Thank you. I will report back.

spoonhead
September 25th, 2020, 20:56
It loaded. Extensions and all.

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2020, 21:06
Jolly Good