PDA

View Full Version : 9/24 Update questions

SilentRuin
September 25th, 2020, 05:12
Having only ever used FGU version - I'm trying to figure out how to use token locking. All I see from update is that it requires a right mouse - but doing a right mouse on my map still shows the same old menu items as host.

Thinking maybe it was a player only option I brought up a 2nd FGU 5e to join to the first one's campaign and shared my map with CT characters and NPC's on the map - but still right mouse showed the same old menus.

I've tried to read FGC talks on token locking and I'm gathering that it is some kind of way to have the host approve of player movements?

Can someone explain what this is - most conversations are being held as if you already know what it is and how it should work.

I'm new - and do not have this past implied knowledge.

kevininrussia
September 25th, 2020, 05:21
Server side, unlock to open LOS and Layers side bar and turn on Token Lock

Client side. Left click and drag token. Release button and click again to continue

SilentRuin
September 25th, 2020, 05:27
Server side, unlock to open LOS and Layers side bar and turn on Token Lock

Client side. Left click and drag token. Release button and click again to continue

That is SO COOL!

As a novice, can you give me any tips on how a host should use this? The actions seems straight forward - accept the move or reject it. But in game play - I have questions on how its used with opportunity attacks and other things you may take for granted on knowing how to handle them. Are there any tricks on how to manage token locking as a DM? First time I've seen this.

kevininrussia
September 25th, 2020, 05:32
First time I’m using it too. I suppose as the player is drawing the path I would tell them to stop if they drew over a pit or something. Accept the move and do what ever I need to do.

SilentRuin
September 25th, 2020, 05:49
First time I’m using it too. I suppose as the player is drawing the path I would tell them to stop if they drew over a pit or something. Accept the move and do what ever I need to do.

Yeah, looks like as host (or player) I can adjust it until it's approved so you could just force the termination next to the trap.

I already sent a mail out to my players that we are trying this for next game. Told them I bet I could even approve the movement when they are accidently moving out of range while setting up move so that I could trigger an opportunity attack!

That's not wrong is it? ;)

GrumpyOldAndy
September 25th, 2020, 07:22

As you approve the move, when the player has finished and asks you to move the token, PERSONALLY, I would click the not approved and drag his token to the pit he would have moved over.

LordEntrails
September 25th, 2020, 17:25
There is now a wiki article on tokens locking. It is linked in the token locking thread, was posted by ddavison.

SilentRuin
September 25th, 2020, 17:50
There is now a wiki article on tokens locking. It is linked in the token locking thread, was posted by ddavison.

For clarity I'll post link as it took me a while to locate:

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/758841345/Token+Locking+-+GM+Approved+Player+Movement

Very cool that it works with my shared NPC stuff also and allows those to play in the token movement/approval game - ownership rules!