PDA

View Full Version : Overlaying (underlay) high-detail maps on top of FGU low-detail campaign maps

Moriarity
September 24th, 2020, 17:25
Running purchased campaigns (I’m currently running DotMM), I find the maps are woefully low-res and lacking in any detail. Looking around on-line, I found highly detailed maps of many levels and spend many hours adding LoS detail to them only to realize that none of the links and, particularly the campaign encounters would work on the new maps. Doh! Anyway, after some thought, I tried to add the high-detail map as a level on the default maps and found a way to make it work using layers and opacity and continue to take advantage of the existing LoS, doors, links, etc of the original…

Find and download the high-detail map and add it to your campaign.
Edit and select ‘Layers’ on your campaign map.
Use the Colour Picker to raise and lower the opacity of your levels as described below
Drop the high-detail map onto your existing map and resize to fit. I found that lowering the opacity of the new layer to about 100 made this easy.
Move the high-detail level to the bottom of the layer stack (just below the original map), max the opacity again and lock it.
Lower the opacity of the original map to allow the high-detail map to show through. I found about 50 did the trick.

Free to use DotMM maps by Eric Blancho can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BI0VM23OMnRZxsS5MStuw0NVQv7sKEtd
and more created by ‘Clawless’ here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DungeonoftheMadMage/comments/b3v2kt/dotmm_graphic_maps_complete/

Note: FGU sometimes like to re-order layers between sessions so you may have to replace the high-detail map back to the bottom of the layer stack.

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2020, 17:48
You can also just hide the original map layer.

Moriarity
September 24th, 2020, 18:01
Ahh - always looking for the hard way :pirate:

Aridhro
September 24th, 2020, 19:04
You can also just hide the original map layer.

I tested this and hiding the original map, also disables the LOS. But if you put your high res map on top off the low-res map(s) with LOS, the low-res images are blocked, but their LOS is still active on top of the high-res map. Image attached shows this with 4 low-res maps w/ LOS on 1 high-res map. 39653
Thank you very mutch for this approach. As you can see, I managed to merge the "Tales from the Yawning Portal - Against the Giant" maps which are cut into pieces, on top of a full map from dndbeyond, keeping the LOS from the FG module maps (found inside the assets\images folder.
Wonderfull !! Absolutely fantastic!! Yesterday I spend about 3 hours re-LOS-ing the first Frost Giant map. Now I did it in a couple of minutes.

Moriarity
September 25th, 2020, 09:12
Yep - that's how I felt too - and the reason I shared. Thanks for the response :)