PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Spell Automation

xelab
September 24th, 2020, 16:51
This extension is now only available on DMs Guild here
(https://www.dmsguild.com/product/347021/Fantasy-Grounds-Combat-Automation)
Spell pinning is available on DMs Guild here
(https://www.dmsguild.com/product/346992/Fantasy-Grounds-Pinned-Spells)

This extension allows to (almost) fully automate spellcasting.
It also fully supersedes my older extension "5E - Expending Spell Slots"

Main Feature 1: Automating Casting Actions

This extension will automatically cast spell actions when you click on a star button ("use power" button). By default, all actions will be cast in the order from left to right. If attack misses or save fully succeeds, the actions afterwards will not be executed. You can change the number of actions executed by default in Options. You can limit the number of actions per spell by putting "»#" in spell name, where # is number of actions to execute (e.g. "»1" will only execute first action). Shift-clicking use power button will not execute any actions.
Update: the extension now also allows to automatically execute weapon attacks and use character powers in the same manner as casting spells.
This extension can be combined with "Instant Dice" extension to achieve instant spell casting:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62047-Instant-Dice-Disable-Rolling-Animation

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39642&stc=1&d=1600962585

Main Feature 2: Expending spell slots on cast

This extension will also automatically expend appropriate spell slot when you click on a star button ("use power" button).
If the character has both spell slots and pact magic slots the priority will be pact magic -> spell slots.
Upcasting spells is possible by first entering intended cast level. Damage and healing should be automatically adjusted. You will have to manually take care of other effects (more targets, more projectiles, duration, etc).
You can set default upcast level for each spell by adding "@#" in spell name (e.g. "@3" will try to cast spell at 3rd level). Ctrl-clicking the button will execute all action, without expend spell slot. Alt-clicking executes all actions as ritual casting (without expending slot and adding 10 minutes to casting time).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39644&stc=1&d=1600964478

The extension was developed and tested for both Fantasy Grounds Unity and Classic.
If you find any bugs please let me know.

Versions:
1.0: Initial Release
1.1: Added Damage and Healing Scaling for Upcasting
1.2: Bug fix for Multitarget Automation
1.3: Bug fix for Targeting 0 Creatures
1.4: Improved compatibility with other extensions
1.5: Added support for automating weapon attacks
1.6: Fixed upcasted effect for some healing spells
1.7: Improvements in compatibility with other extensions
1.8: Fixed upcasting without expending slots

xelab
September 24th, 2020, 16:54
Additional feature 1: Delay hiding spells / powers without suitable slots

This feature only useful when spell does not execute all actions (or if manually executing actions (Shift + click).
In "Combat Mode", the default behaviour is to hide spells / powers without available slots immediately.
This is problematic if you (like me) prefer to first announce the spell (and expend the slot), and than apply its effects, since the spell may be hidden by that time.
You can switch to "Delayed Hide" mode by double-clicking "Upcast" field changing appropriate setting in options. In this mode powers will not be hidden until last action of the power is clicked or next power is cast or until the next power is cast. You can also refresh the view by clicking the "Upcast" field.
You can always switch back to "Normal" mode by double-clicking the "Upcast" field again. This setting should also be persistent between sessions.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39647&stc=1&d=1600965128

Additional feature 2: Pinning powers in Combat Mode

For some powers / spells it is useful to keep them always "pinned" in Combat Mode, even without available slots.
Good examples are Spiritual Weapon, Flaming Sphere, Hex and pretty much any spell with delayed effect / over-time effect / duration.
With this extension active you can "pin" any spell / power by adding "●" ("Black Circle" U+25CF Symbol) or "·" ("Middle Dot" U+00B7 Symbol) to its name.
Just copy paste the symbol and put it anywhere in the power name.
Since FG Classic does not support Unicode characters you can only use "·" ("Middle Dot") for pinning spells

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39648&stc=1&d=1600965137

Additional feature 3: Hide "CAST" message for attack and save actions.

Selecting appropriate setting in options will remove "CAST" message, which IMHO does not carry additional information. Example below:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39649&stc=1&d=1600965145

vaughnlannister
September 24th, 2020, 17:42
Cool! Would you think it be possible to check off a spell using the Cast icon instead of the star in the future?

My players like to drag and drop magic attacks.

xelab
September 24th, 2020, 17:50
You can either click on Star icon (which is in FG internally called "Use Power") or double-clicking spell name.

What do you mean "Cast" icon? Do you mean "Cast" type action? If so it would be problematic for spell without rolls to hit (like Magic Missile, Invisibility, Heal, etc...)

Dragging and dropping works same as before, if any player chooses not to use automation.

dmbrown
September 24th, 2020, 18:00
Looks really cool! Seems like it is just missing the upcasting ability.

I wonder if it would work with this extension:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/327397/Fantasy-Grounds-Advanced-Spell-Damage-extension?src=by_author_of_product

vaughnlannister
September 24th, 2020, 18:06
You can either click on Star icon (which is in FG internally called "Use Power") or double-clicking spell name.

What do you mean "Cast" icon? Do you mean "Cast" type action? If so it would be problematic for spell without rolls to hit (like Magic Missile, Invisibility, Heal, etc...)

Dragging and dropping works same as before, if any player chooses not to use automation.

Ah I see, a valid point!

xelab
September 24th, 2020, 18:30
Would be interested if somebody can check.

I myself just drag and right-click to add additional dice, when I am upcasting

bwatford
September 26th, 2020, 04:27
This thing is also working for everything on the action tab, if an ability has a use per rest/day dot, when that dot is checked it triggers all the effects associated with it. Which for most things it isn't an issue but huge arrays like wild shape, etc it is not needed.

Is there a symbol we can place on the description to tell it to not do it on that particular item?

xelab
September 26th, 2020, 08:24
This thing is also working for everything on the action tab, if an ability has a use per rest/day dot, when that dot is checked it triggers all the effects associated with it. Which for most things it isn't an issue but huge arrays like wild shape, etc it is not needed.

Is there a symbol we can place on the description to tell it to not do it on that particular item?

Yeah, this is intended.

Should have mentioned in the description ;)

Saiki Kusuo
September 26th, 2020, 22:44
Awesome extension! I really like this! It works great in Unity, but in Classic (for me at least) it is not compatible for Diablo Bob's Critically Awesome Essentials. I have to turn that extension off in Classic in order for it to work. I made sure to download the most updated version of his extension so not sure if I am doing something else wrong.

Feature requests if possible: Have this same functionality apply to PC weapon attacks. Have it apply to NPC weapon attacks and spells. :-)

bwatford
September 27th, 2020, 04:10
Ok, while playing tonight, trying to upcast the spell. Put 2 in the box, cast Cure Wounds. It marked off a second level slot correctly but only rolled the normal 1st level heal, did not add a dice.

Double checked and can confirm that it will not add the second dice.

xelab
September 27th, 2020, 09:51
Awesome extension! I really like this! It works great in Unity, but in Classic (for me at least) it is not compatible for Diablo Bob's Critically Awesome Essentials. I have to turn that extension off in Classic in order for it to work. I made sure to download the most updated version of his extension so not sure if I am doing something else wrong.

Feature requests if possible: Have this same functionality apply to PC weapon attacks. Have it apply to NPC weapon attacks and spells. :-)

Thanks for feedback, unfortunately cannot test with Diablo Bob's extension, since I do not have it. What sorts of error do you get?

As for having same functionality for DM, I am considering it, but cannot promise anything :). Will Combat Tracker be the best place for it?

xelab
September 27th, 2020, 09:56
Ok, while playing tonight, trying to upcast the spell. Put 2 in the box, cast Cure Wounds. It marked off a second level slot correctly but only rolled the normal 1st level heal, did not add a dice.

Double checked and can confirm that it will not add the second dice.

Well, as mentioned in description, this extension does not automate upcasting of spell effect (only of expending spell slot).
You have to either add the damage / heal die manually: Shift-click cast action (this will disable casting automation), and then drag heal effect and right-click while dragging (this will add additional heal die).
You can also create upcasted version of spell (with "@2" in name) and than manually adjust the heal action to reflect upcasted number of dice.

Saiki Kusuo
September 27th, 2020, 15:19
Thanks for feedback, unfortunately cannot test with Diablo Bob's extension, since I do not have it. What sorts of error do you get?

As for having same functionality for DM, I am considering it, but cannot promise anything :). Will Combat Tracker be the best place for it?

Ahh k k. Well I don't get any error messages. The functionality simply does not function when you click on the spell power (Star) icon in Classic. It just lists the name instead of activating the spell automation. For some reason it still works fine in Unity though!

Edit: oops forgot to address your question at the end. Just my opinion, but I usually run NPCs right on the combat tracker so for me yes that would be the best place. Man if this was created along with your instant dice rolls... combat would be so fast! No worries though if it is not possible as I don't know much about FG coding so not sure how much work this is.

Dax Doomslayer
September 27th, 2020, 18:16
I can confirm that I have the same issue Saiki. My suggestion is to mention this to Diablo Bob on Rob2E's discord channel and maybe he and xelab can discuss. This extension looks really cool but I do love the CAE extension...

xelab
September 28th, 2020, 21:06
Just posted updated version 1.2 of the extension

New features:
When upcasting spells, damage and healing should be automatically adjusted. You will have to manually take care of other effects (more targets, more projectiles, duration, etc).
Bug fix for proper order of actions when targeting multiple creatures.

If you encounter inconsistencies please let me know!

anathemort
September 29th, 2020, 01:59
Is this FGC compatible? I'm using FGC but my leveled spell slots do not have the star icon.

EDIT: scratch that! I was using a sorcerer and didn't have the spells marked as prepared.

This is a fantastic extension, thanks so much for sharing!

bwatford
September 29th, 2020, 05:18
Just posted updated version 1.2 of the extension

New features:
When upcasting spells, damage and healing should be automatically adjusted. You will have to manually take care of other effects (more targets, more projectiles, duration, etc).
Bug fix for proper order of actions when targeting multiple creatures.

If you encounter inconsistencies please let me know!

In Unity, with version 1.2 the upcasting still is marking the correct slot off but does not add to healing or damage.

xelab
September 29th, 2020, 07:37
In Unity, with version 1.2 the upcasting still is marking the correct slot off but does not add to healing or damage.

There was a bug, when not targeting any creature, it is now fixed in version 1.3.
Please note that when not targeting anything, all actions after Attack will not be executed (it is regarded as a miss). Same goes for save.

bwatford
September 29th, 2020, 14:55
There was a bug, when not targeting any creature, it is now fixed in version 1.3.
Please note that when not targeting anything, all actions after Attack will not be executed (it is regarded as a miss). Same goes for save.

Hate to keep being the one, but version 1.3 is doing the same, neither healing spells or damage spells is changing on an upcast, neither with or without a target. Tried both by using the upcast box and by the @2 in the spell line.

This is in the latest version of Unity.

xelab
September 29th, 2020, 16:14
Hate to keep being the one, but version 1.3 is doing the same, neither healing spells or damage spells is changing on an upcast, neither with or without a target. Tried both by using the upcast box and by the @2 in the spell line.

This is in the latest version of Unity.

What do you mean "change"? You mean that action automation works correctly, but damage/heal upcasting does not? Anyway I cannot replicate it on my end, everything works correctly in both FGU and FGC for me. Do you have other extensions installed? Which spells have you tested? Send me screen shot of chat with incorrect behaviour. Thank you.

bwatford
September 29th, 2020, 17:11
I have tried with various spells, Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Burning Hands, etc. Everything is working except for the extra dice being added.

I will try on an extension free campaign and get back to you on if that is the issue and if so. Otherwise I will post up screen shots when I get home later today.

bwatford
September 29th, 2020, 18:21

bwatford
September 29th, 2020, 20:47
Found the issue and the solution.

The conflict was with the Advanced Effects Extension.

Changed the load order of Advanced Effects to 90 and the load order of Spell Automation to 100 and now they work well together.

Great extension btw.

xelab
September 30th, 2020, 11:52
Found the issue and the solution.

The conflict was with the Advanced Effects Extension.

Changed the load order of Advanced Effects to 90 and the load order of Spell Automation to 100 and now they work well together.

Great extension btw.

Version 1.4: I have incorporated this and some other changes that should (hopefully) significantly improve compatibility with other extensions.

If you still encounter incompatibilities, please let me know

xelab
September 30th, 2020, 14:35
Updated to Version 1.5:
New Feature: in addition to Spells and Powers, Weapon Attacks are now automated as well

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39819&stc=1&d=1601472834

Now I am sad, I did not call the extension "Action Automation"...

Saiki Kusuo
September 30th, 2020, 20:13
Updated to Version 1.5:
New Feature: in addition to Spells and Powers, Weapon Attacks are now automated as well

Now I am sad, I did not call the extension "Action Automation"...

Wow thanks so much! I haven't been able to test it yet but I have been waiting for an extension like this!

bwatford
October 4th, 2020, 06:59
I have noticed when using automated weapons and using the Sneak Attack extension, the attack is rolled, if it hits the sneak attack is set, then the damage rolls but the Sneak isn't applied. I think because it is technically one roll FG thinks the damage happens before the SA is applied even though it shows up correctly in the chat window.

Any ideas on getting it to work together?

xelab
October 4th, 2020, 08:39
Hi, Bwatford,
Try different load orders. Appart from that it is very likely that some rewriting have to be done in one of the extensions. I am currently very busy, so will not be able to look at it. You could try contacting the author of the other extension.
Me personally, I just create 2nd weapon on the rogue with d6 backed in weapon damage and "(sneak)" in the name.

SturmDenmark
October 4th, 2020, 10:13
Hi,

First off great extension, would love to use it but it seems to conflict with some of the other extensions I'm using

- 5E Enhancer
When opening the actions tab there are failing scripts, I haven't tried to solve it, so can't tell if this would be easy to fix.

It works great for most spells but for those below it does not use up a spell slot on my wizard:
- Magic Missile
- Burning Hands

Hope you will be able to look at it and maybe solve the issues, I would love to use the extension.

xelab
October 4th, 2020, 11:27
Hi,

First off great extension, would love to use it but it seems to conflict with some of the other extensions I'm using

- 5E Enhancer
When opening the actions tab there are failing scripts, I haven't tried to solve it, so can't tell if this would be easy to fix.

It works great for most spells but for those below it does not use up a spell slot on my wizard:
- Magic Missile
- Burning Hands

Hope you will be able to look at it and maybe solve the issues, I would love to use the extension.

Hi,

thanks for the interest in my extension. I have looked at "5E Enchancer" briefly in it does seem to be super complex and affects so many different places in FG that even its author thinks that it is unlikely to work with other extensions. I have also notices that he/she does not use merge = "join" in XML statements, so he/she effectively overwrites any other extensions that are loaded before (so changing load order to have my extension load before will most likely cause even more errors).

My only suggestion it to not use the whole "5E Enchancer" but only the parts of it that you actually need (they are in sub-extensions folder on GitHub) and try out which combinations work together and which don't.

As for Magic Missile and Burning Hands, they do work correctly for me, please double check that you have them created correctly from the link. My extension uses "level" of the spell to know which spell slot to tick off. See image below:

bwatford
October 4th, 2020, 22:56
@XeLab

Healing Word isn't upcasting, when you do it adds a flat +10 instead of another dice. Cure wounds is working ok. Any guess?

xelab
October 5th, 2020, 11:28
@XeLab

Healing Word isn't upcasting, when you do it adds a flat +10 instead of another dice. Cure wounds is working ok. Any guess?

Nice catch. The upcasted effect for spell "Heal" was overshadowing all spells which contain sub-string "heal" in their names.

It was a quick fix. New 1.6 version uploaded.

xelab
October 5th, 2020, 22:54
I just had great discussion with Trenloe, and got few ideas on how I can make the extension even better compatible with other extension (e.g. 5e Enhancer, and others).
Will probably get to it on weekend.

I am considering removing "Delayed Hide" functionality, since it will drastically simplify the changes to be made.
Does anybody actually use this functionality? Is it ok to remove it?

Dax Doomslayer
October 5th, 2020, 22:56
Thanks for this nifty extension. I don't use the "Delayed Hide" function, xelab.

Callum Miechel
October 5th, 2020, 23:19
I do use the delayed hide because I have the setting to one action when casting.

xelab
October 5th, 2020, 23:23
I do use the delayed hide because I have the setting to one action when casting.

I see, well than I'll try to preserve it

Callum Miechel
October 6th, 2020, 03:17
I see, well than I'll try to preserve it

Thank you Xelab

Your extension is very useful, it is worthy of the developers adding it as a standard utility in FG.

xelab
October 7th, 2020, 18:25
I have just posted version 1.7 with some improvements in compatibility with other extensions.

I have also looked into 5E Enhancer and I must say I am amazed it is still functional on its own, seeing how much code is just copy pasted without proper overloading.
Having said that, I have found a way to make it load alongside with Spell Automation and it is to delete line 360 in the file "campaign\record_power.xml" of that extension. The line reads:

<script file="campaign/scripts/content_share.lua" />
This line is responsible for, and I quote "Script to post spell and ability descriptions into chat".
No idea what it really does. It does not seem to have changed any behaviour of the character sheet. Maybe it was deprecated before?
Please use at your own discretion.

jaeby220
October 14th, 2020, 01:33
Xelab,

Want to echo the quality of your extension and how it has helped to speed up play for my players.

Recently I have run into an issue with another extension (Sneak Attack automation) which, after looking into the code, does a number of checks to determine eligibility, and if so, it creates a new effect in the CT with the sneak attack damage. The simple approach is for players to attack (with the custom Sneak Attack effect) and then perform the damage after the additional Sneak Attack Damage effect is added automatically. With your Automation extension, everything executes properly (no errors) but there seems to be a sequencing issue where the Sneak Attack damage effect is being added to the CT after your automated damage roll is conducted, versus before which would allow the Sneak Damage to be applied to the roll. I was wondering whether your code is internally managing both actions (attack and damage) prior to releasing the handler where by the Sneak Attack check in the other extension is made. Not very familiar with the core objects and methods in FGU, as I was trying to look through both codes to see if I could find a straight forward change, but figured I would reach out for guidance to help de-conflict the 2 extensions. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Saiki Kusuo
October 14th, 2020, 02:10
I have been testing this great extension and learned it is not compatible with the expanded output extension for players in FG Classic. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47946-LAE-ExpandedOptions-v1-1-for-5E. It works for the DM but does not work for players. At least that is the behavior I am observing. Came up in a game where I wanted to show off this cool extension and it wasn't working for my players. I had to turn this one off to get it to work. Other than that though it appears to be compatible with everything else I am using which is a lot. Thanks again!

xelab
October 15th, 2020, 21:48
I have been testing this great extension and learned it is not compatible with the expanded output extension for players in FG Classic. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47946-LAE-ExpandedOptions-v1-1-for-5E. It works for the DM but does not work for players. At least that is the behavior I am observing. Came up in a game where I wanted to show off this cool extension and it wasn't working for my players. I had to turn this one off to get it to work. Other than that though it appears to be compatible with everything else I am using which is a lot. Thanks again!

Well, that is expected, my extension is overriding same functions as the expanded output. You might have noticed that output is modified already in my extension: it provides info on slot used and time to cast.

Ozsome
October 17th, 2020, 18:47
LOVE this extension. Have noticed a minor spelling issue that I am just reporting for accuracy not for complaint.
When a player attempts to upcast and the spell level is not available, the chat window has the word availability spelled wrong.

No play issues for me so far, thanks for the amazing work!

xelab
October 18th, 2020, 17:02
LOVE this extension. Have noticed a minor spelling issue that I am just reporting for accuracy not for complaint.
When a player attempts to upcast and the spell level is not available, the chat window has the word availability spelled wrong.

No play issues for me so far, thanks for the amazing work!

Thanks, will incorporate in next version

Tatershal
October 24th, 2020, 15:35
This extension is very good, but for it to be perfect it must incorporate the drag feature and create a shortcut to the shortcut bar. It is possible?

xelab
October 27th, 2020, 14:13
This extension is very good, but for it to be perfect it must incorporate the drag feature and create a shortcut to the shortcut bar. It is possible?

Will look into it at some point, but cannot promise anything

Tatershal
October 27th, 2020, 17:06
another thing is that in spells like a flaming sphere, you cannot repeat the attack of the spell, because when using it for the first time, it marks the slot, locking the action

xelab
October 27th, 2020, 17:46
another thing is that in spells like a flaming sphere, you cannot repeat the attack of the spell, because when using it for the first time, it marks the slot, locking the action

CTRL+ click does not mark of the slot. you can also add circle symbol to spell name to prevent it from being hidden if you have no slots left. have a look again at feature description.

Tatershal
October 27th, 2020, 21:10
CTRL+ click does not mark of the slot. you can also add circle symbol to spell name to prevent it from being hidden if you have no slots left. have a look again at feature description.

tks , very good

jaeby220
October 30th, 2020, 23:36
@xelab, Was playing with the Automation for Spiritual Weapon and wanted to use the automation for upcasting on a spell that remains for multiple rounds. I believe you should be able to use the CTRL Click so that additional spell slots are not used but can still go through all of the attack and damage actions. It works with the base but not with an upcast. Did this work in the past and maybe the recent update screwed it up? Thanks.

xelab
October 31st, 2020, 11:37
You have to indicate upcasted level on each strike, no way around this. If you upcast it very often you can create upcasted version by putting @level in the spell name

jaeby220
November 3rd, 2020, 02:05
I did indicate the upcast on the subsequent attack. The only difference was I clicked CTRL first so that the slot wouldnt be expended. That worked successfully (not expending the slot) but the upcast didnt trigger. Only the normal spell damage. I also removed all of my other extensions to validate there wasnt a collision there.

xelab
November 3rd, 2020, 10:59
Ok, understood, looks like a bug, will try to fix

Edit: fixed in version 1.8

jaeby220
November 4th, 2020, 19:41
Fixed! Thanks

seanny
November 6th, 2020, 04:35
I like this extension as well ,it works very well ,I like the fact it works for attacks and spells. I would also like the drag attack feature another user asked for. I normally make all my attacks by dragging the attack dice and it takes a bit to get used to targeting using control.

Also the mechanism of dragging feels like an attack to me ,so the targeting feature and clicking the left icon feels less satisfying.

However I really like the enhanced automation with saving throws and particularly damage all in one click.
Thanks for making.

xelab
November 6th, 2020, 09:30
I like this extension as well ,it works very well ,I like the fact it works for attacks and spells. I would also like the drag attack feature another user asked for. I normally make all my attacks by dragging the attack dice and it takes a bit to get used to targeting using control.

Also the mechanism of dragging feels like an attack to me ,so the targeting feature and clicking the left icon feels less satisfying.

However I really like the enhanced automation with saving throws and particularly damage all in one click.
Thanks for making.

Thanks, will add to the wish list ;)

smokebadger
November 8th, 2020, 10:29
Ive added these to my campaigns (using FGU) and they are working normally on cantrips and weapons but not on higher level spells.
see attached screenshot40912

xelab
November 8th, 2020, 13:31
You have to prepare spells first (this is standard FG feature)

mordkhaan
November 9th, 2020, 22:40
FYI, done some testing and this ext (which is awesome) breaks DiabloBobs Fantasy Grounds Enhanced Spell Window extension
IE the Grab List function no longer works to bring all spells into pc sheet

nephranka
November 11th, 2020, 20:57
Xelab,

Want to echo the quality of your extension and how it has helped to speed up play for my players.

Recently I have run into an issue with another extension (Sneak Attack automation) which, after looking into the code, does a number of checks to determine eligibility, and if so, it creates a new effect in the CT with the sneak attack damage. The simple approach is for players to attack (with the custom Sneak Attack effect) and then perform the damage after the additional Sneak Attack Damage effect is added automatically. With your Automation extension, everything executes properly (no errors) but there seems to be a sequencing issue where the Sneak Attack damage effect is being added to the CT after your automated damage roll is conducted, versus before which would allow the Sneak Damage to be applied to the roll. I was wondering whether your code is internally managing both actions (attack and damage) prior to releasing the handler where by the Sneak Attack check in the other extension is made. Not very familiar with the core objects and methods in FGU, as I was trying to look through both codes to see if I could find a straight forward change, but figured I would reach out for guidance to help de-conflict the 2 extensions. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I too am having the same experience and was wondering if a fix might have been found. I would really like to have both of these working together. Thanks!

xelab
November 12th, 2020, 08:16
[Removed, double post]

xelab
November 12th, 2020, 08:20
FYI, done some testing and this ext (which is awesome) breaks DiabloBobs Fantasy Grounds Enhanced Spell Window extension
IE the Grab List function no longer works to bring all spells into pc sheet

I too am having the same experience and was wondering if a fix might have been found. I would really like to have both of these working together. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I do to have access to Sneak Extension (since it is behind paywall). Same goes for DiabloBobs extensions. I have also contacted the author of Sneak Extension, but have not heard back. Without seeing the code there is no way for me to debug conflicts.

jaeby220
November 23rd, 2020, 20:06
Hi Xelab,

Another question around functionality in the Actions tab. I thought that when you checked a spell under the preparation mode, and then went to combat, it would not show those spells as available. This could be used so that Clerics or Wizards could setup the compliment of spells that use routinely but while in action could filter easily to what has been prepared. I could have sworn that existed but might have been dreaming and with your familiarization in this area, figured you would know definitely. Thanks!

jaeby220
November 24th, 2020, 01:29
Hi Xelab,

Another question around functionality in the Actions tab. I thought that when you checked a spell under the preparation mode, and then went to combat, it would not show those spells as available. This could be used so that Clerics or Wizards could setup the compliment of spells that use routinely but while in action could filter easily to what has been prepared. I could have sworn that existed but might have been dreaming and with your familiarization in this area, figured you would know definitely. Thanks!

Figured it out. Under each action group for spells there is a box designated for Prepared. If there is a value there, then when you go into Combat mode only the checked spells are shown.

nephranka
December 24th, 2020, 23:23
I notice some strange behavior. This is a wizard with 1st and 2nd level slots on a clean build FGU 5e. When I have more than first level slots the spells do not automatically hide when all slots are used? Is this functioning as expected? Maybe I am doing or setting something wrong? Thank you.

Example:
Only level 1 slots: S1 & S2
Both level 1 & 2 slots:S3

Toberok
January 12th, 2021, 13:57
Nice work! how can I download it? [FOUND IT THANKS]

Broken.Arrow
January 21st, 2021, 06:27
This post can be deleted.

Jiminimonka
January 30th, 2021, 15:32
Great extension! Thanks

Jiminimonka
February 1st, 2021, 01:53
This extension conflicts with MintyFresh's extension to translate chat bubbles - here is a link to the post I made.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65575-Assign-Speaker-Language-Extension&p=575294&viewfull=1#post575294

I disabled it and the translate extension worked immediately.

Minty23185Fresh
February 2nd, 2021, 15:18
@xelab I have not verified Jiminimonka's claim. With both our extensions loaded I have not observed his spoken of behavior. I am still investigating. To me it looks as though there may be something else in play. I'll try to keep you apprised. I don't see a need for us to dissect our extensions yet.

This extension conflicts with MintyFresh's extension to translate chat bubbles - here is a link to the post I made.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65575-Assign-Speaker-Language-Extension&p=575294&viewfull=1#post575294

I disabled it and the translate extension worked immediately.

Jiminimonka
February 2nd, 2021, 15:45
I'll have a look later see if its another extension, but that was the latest one I had installed, so the first one I turned off. Might be a few hours because I am making a map at the moment.

Jiminimonka
February 6th, 2021, 12:03
I'll have a look later see if its another extension, but that was the latest one I had installed, so the first one I turned off. Might be a few hours because I am making a map at the moment.

Disregard was an ID10T error by moi.

sagara626
February 17th, 2021, 00:29
Hello!

This extension has been amazing so first off thank you for building it. I think the FGU update that came out recently broke the spell automation extension. (I updated today but its been 2 weeks since my last one)

I am receiving the following error when initiating an action using the automation -

Script execution error: [string "spell_automation.lua"]:304: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)

sagara626
February 17th, 2021, 00:30
I forgot to add a similar error occurred during the death indicator extension and the author of that extension mentioned the recent FGU update broke his as well.

SilentRuin
February 17th, 2021, 00:31
I forgot to add a similar error occurred during the death indicator extension and the author of that extension mentioned the recent FGU update broke his as well.

yeah its already fixed 10 minutes after new release dropped - get the new one on page 1 - death indicator that is - TEST was up with these changes for a few weeks

sagara626
February 17th, 2021, 00:33
Oh sorry yeah i already noticed that from that thread thank you for responding though. I got Death Indicator to work again, I was just mentioning that to reference other extensions were impacted by the update.

Also love Death Indicator thank you very much for building it!

SilentRuin
February 17th, 2021, 00:35
Oh sorry yeah i already noticed that from that thread thank you for responding though. I got Death Indicator to work again, I was just mentioning that to reference other extensions were impacted by the update.

Also love Death Indicator thank you very much for building it!

Wasn't me - 2 other guys did I just got permission to mangle it to my liking and maintain it - they are listed on Page 1 for those you should truly thank - again in Death Indicators.

xelab
February 17th, 2021, 15:42
There was a major change in Fantasy Grounds, which has affected quite a lot of extensions.

I have updated all my extensions on DMs Guild.

Here it is rebranded as "Combat Automation": https://www.dmsguild.com/product/347021/Fantasy-Grounds-Combat-Automation
And for "pinning spells": https://www.dmsguild.com/product/346992/Fantasy-Grounds-Pinned-Spells

Finsteel
February 19th, 2021, 06:12
Rebranding means repurchasing your extension?

xelab
February 19th, 2021, 09:18
@Finsteel, the extension was free before, not sure what do you mean by the prefix "re-" in "repurchasing"...

Finsteel
February 19th, 2021, 09:39
Oh. Well then my memory didn't serve me well enough. I thought this was such an excellent extension that it must have been a paid-one already. Thanks for correcting me and the rebranded versions are absolutely worth purchasing them! (without "re"-prefix).

xelab
February 19th, 2021, 09:43
@finsteel, thank you for the kind words, appreciate it :)

rtrevino
March 3rd, 2021, 18:24
Hello,

I purchased the combat automation a DMs guild, (excellent extension by the way) but now I see it has been updated and removed from DMs Guild. there is a note that support will continue in the forums, Is this true?

nephranka
March 3rd, 2021, 18:41
Looks like the same is true for pinned spells?

Naurthoron
March 3rd, 2021, 21:27
Where can we find now these extensions?

xelab
March 4th, 2021, 10:17
This is true, we had a disagreement with rob2e and decided to stop our partnership. I will support the extension from here. As for getting it, I will try to come up with solution next week, stay tuned.

rtrevino
March 4th, 2021, 17:21
This is true, we had a disagreement with rob2e and decided to stop our partnership. I will support the extension from here. As for getting it, I will try to come up with solution next week, stay tuned.

Thank you!!

Ludd_G
March 4th, 2021, 23:20
Sorry to hear things didn't work out, but really glad that you will still support your extensions going forward. They're very much appreciated at my table. Thank you!

Cheers,

Simon

xelab
March 5th, 2021, 03:06
False alarm. We have found a compromise with Rob, so the extensions are all reinstated on DMs Guild. Future updates will be done as normal.
However, if you have questions or support requests in the future please post them here or on DMs Guild and not on Rob's Discord, since I am not part of his team anymore.

nephranka
March 21st, 2021, 15:24
I noticed that under options for Combat automation: default actions that when I or my players select one the next time we load FGU we see it is back to all. Is this expected behavior?

Thanks!

nephranka
March 29th, 2021, 01:42
I also noticed that when manual dice are set or default actions is set to "one", when a spell haves a save/attack and damage, the upcast does not work for the damage roll.

Example:
Thunderwave

Upcast to level 3. Default is set to "one". Cast it. The correct slot (lvl 3) is removed and the save is thrown. When you click damage only 2d8 is thrown instead of 4d8.

Same thing happens is the default is set to "all" and manual dice is turned on.

My group likes the default set to "one" and manual dice turned so this is a bummer.

xelab
April 3rd, 2021, 15:07
This is expected, since the extension can only modify damage roll as part of automation. Manually clicking damage invokes default FG behaviour

nephranka
April 3rd, 2021, 18:41
Thank you for the follow up.

Agamon
May 22nd, 2021, 02:44
This extension is giving the following error after an attack roll (not just spell, any attack roll). I've got all the other extensions I use turned off.

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "spell_automation.lua"]:304: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)

Naurthoron
May 25th, 2021, 16:36
This extension is giving the following error after an attack roll (not just spell, any attack roll). I've got all the other extensions I use turned off.

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "spell_automation.lua"]:304: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)

Make sure you use the latest version from DMSGuild

Agamon
May 26th, 2021, 00:48
Ah, the problem was that I still had the old spell automation extension enabled, along with combat automation.

hrscarvalho
July 1st, 2021, 16:14
Hello! Need some help here!

Using the automation with Toll the Dead (cantrip), the extension roll both of the damages (d8 and d12). How can I fix it? To roll d8 if the target is not wounded and d12 if it was.

nephranka
July 1st, 2021, 18:55
Hello! Need some help here!

Using the automation with Toll the Dead (cantrip), the extension roll both of the damages (d8 and d12). How can I fix it? To roll d8 if the target is not wounded and d12 if it was.

I found creating two spells, one to handle the wounded status and one to handle non-wounded, was the easiest fix.

Drogo210
July 9th, 2021, 19:04
Hi,

I have an issue in the middle of the campaign it got bugged. If a player use the automatic attack or cast/damage it does not trigger anything apart from the first action.

If I as Gm do it everithing works fine. If the player attack clicking on the automatic trigger and hit if he/she roll the damage then it will roll the damage and the damage not rolled with the automatic trigger.

If I open a new campaign and load all the extension I have it works again.

MrDDT
July 9th, 2021, 19:11
Hi,

I have an issue in the middle of the campaign it got bugged. If a player use the automatic attack or cast/damage it does not trigger anything apart from the first action.

If I as Gm do it everithing works fine. If the player attack clicking on the automatic trigger and hit if he/she roll the damage then it will roll the damage and the damage not rolled with the automatic trigger.

If I open a new campaign and load all the extension I have it works again.

Check their settings, each client can set the settings to automate how they see fit. They might have turned it to "one" instead of "all" or "none"

Drogo210
July 9th, 2021, 19:23
Check their settings, each client can set the settings to automate how they see fit. They might have turned it to "one" instead of "all" or "none"

Setting is on all. I have entered the game with a second FG and everithing was on, it does not trigger the damage when hitted.

MrDDT
July 9th, 2021, 23:57
Setting is on all. I have entered the game with a second FG and everithing was on, it does not trigger the damage when hitted.

I'm not sure exactly what the pictures are showing, however, I would try toggling the setting again. I've had the issue where it looks like its on A setting, but it's really on B setting.

Also make sure they are not drag and dropping the action. That will cause a roll and only 1 action.
Also make sure they are clicking the far left ICON the weapon (example War Pick) the sword icon.

Drogo210
July 10th, 2021, 01:04
I'm not sure exactly what the pictures are showing, however, I would try toggling the setting again. I've had the issue where it looks like its on A setting, but it's really on B setting.

Also make sure they are not drag and dropping the action. That will cause a roll and only 1 action.
Also make sure they are clicking the far left ICON the weapon (example War Pick) the sword icon.

I have entered my own game with a second FG. First picture is me clicking on the sword before the weapon's name (javelin) as you can see it did HIT but did not toggle the damage. Secondo picture is me clicking on damage die of another weapon triggering both the javelin and the war pike die damage. The last one is me as GM clicking on the sword of war pike triggering all dies. For spell magic attacks is the same, it does correctly remove the spell slot but no damage

nephranka
July 10th, 2021, 12:26
My experience has been that I have had to cycle the settings before it would recognize the "all" setting.

When I started, it was already set to "all" and weapons worked fine but spells did only one action. So, I cycled through the settings back to "all" and everything was working as expected. I logged out and back in and they were still working. It is like it remembers the last setting (in this case 1 action) even if the option is currently set to "all".

Drogo210
July 10th, 2021, 12:57
My experience has been that I have had to cycle the settings before it would recognize the "all" setting.

When I started, it was already set to "all" and weapons worked fine but spells did only one action. So, I cycled through the settings back to "all" and everything was working as expected. I logged out and back in and they were still working. It is like it remembers the last setting (in this case 1 action) even if the option is currently set to "all".

Nope, I'll tell you no matter what I put in option, If I click the button before the name to toggle attack/damage it will roll the attack, and store the damage, meaning the moment I click damage it will toggle the previous damage + the one that I rolled manually.

Okey, I had a bit of time to test it! It's conflinct with one other extentions...although I do not understand why in another campaing work with all exts up

nephranka
July 10th, 2021, 13:10
Are you running any other extensions?

Drogo210
July 10th, 2021, 13:17
Yes, I am testing them now...but I have one Campaign that I use to test with all extentions up and there it works

Drogo210
July 10th, 2021, 14:08
Okey, there are two extensions that conflict with this one:

1) Fantasy Grounds 5E Modifier Buttons
2) LAE:ExpandedOptions v1.9 for 5E

nephranka
July 10th, 2021, 14:44
Okey, there are two extensions that conflict with this one:

1) Fantasy Grounds 5E Modifier Buttons
2) LAE:ExpandedOptions v1.9 for 5E

I use #1 and don't have the conflict. #2 I do not use and it seems to modify combat output so I would think this is most likely the issue.

Drogo210
July 10th, 2021, 15:32
I use #1 and don't have the conflict. #2 I do not use and it seems to modify combat output so I would think this is most likely the issue.
Do you use MOD A or B?

nephranka
July 10th, 2021, 15:53
I use B.

jonesdaadi
July 11th, 2021, 20:09
sorry wrong thread

anathemort
October 12th, 2021, 17:56
@xelab this extension conflicts with the updated Requested Rolls extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70407-5E-Requested-Rolls). Have you heard of or investigated this issue at all?

Nalistar
December 21st, 2021, 23:36
Hi, I'm using the extension and I really like it, but even though the option is set to "All", only I as a DM can use the automation when I click on the character sheet, while my players can't. What ends up happening is that the attack rolls and, even if it hits, the damage won't roll automatically: however, when they roll for damage, the damage gets rolled twice. Am I doing something wrong?

nephranka
December 22nd, 2021, 15:29
I have found there is conflict between this and the Kit'N'Kaboodle ext by MeAndUnique. When I click the mini power button an error is thrown. I am not sure why or if it can be resolved. I posted in his thread as well. Thanks!

Edit: There is a warning about DEPRECATED functionality that is coming from this ext even without any other extensions loaded which might help.

Ulric
December 22nd, 2021, 21:25
I have found there is conflict between this and the Kit'N'Kaboodle ext by MeAndUnique. When I click the mini power button an error is thrown. I am not sure why or if it can be resolved. I posted in his thread as well. Thanks!

Edit: There is a warning about DEPRECATED functionality that is coming from this ext even without any other extensions loaded which might help.
I think the developer for this extension has abandoned FG. Their profile is no longer available.

nephranka
December 22nd, 2021, 21:40
I think the developer for this extension has abandoned FG. Their profile is no longer available.

Well that will make thing very difficult. Thanks for the heads up.

mdrichey
December 31st, 2021, 01:45

The profile works for me. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?375495-xelab) They aren't around very much though.

Ulric
December 31st, 2021, 03:10
The profile works for me. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?375495-xelab) They aren't around very much though.
I still get no profile found when I click the user name but your link works. I hope he returns.

xelab
February 6th, 2022, 14:13
I am still sporadically around, but cannot dedicate time to debugging conflicts with other extensions. However, would be happy to help authors of other extensions, if they contact me directly.

If you have issues with my extension in isolation (with all other extensions turned off) please give me all information to help me reproduce it.

redba
February 16th, 2022, 20:48
Hi Xelab,
sorry if I write here but I can't find any forum thread for your Combat Automation Ext which has stopped working.
I can confirm I test it on a new campaign without any other ext and I test the simplest of cases that is normal attack and to hit damage.

Ext version 1.1
New Character with only a bow
Character + NPC on CT
Targeted NPC and click to attack (hit) but none happens.

Can you check what is wrong!?!?

Tell me if you need something and if you are able to check this and the ext is ok for you.

Thank you for your effort and your work..

Zorngrimm
March 11th, 2022, 16:48
Hi Xelab,

after a long search and the help of many people I finally got this link. I have a small problem with combat automation after one of two big updates of FGU. The problem is described in the conversation below. Are you willing and able (sure) to fix it?
---Quote (Originally by nephranka)---
Xelab is still around but is only going to fix his ext if it is broken when loaded by itself (internal issues). He is not going to change his code in making it compatible with other exts. He will help by answering questions from the other developers. Because I use so many exts, I can not afford to have that one as it is not compatible with a few others I use. I too liked it but I have learned to live without it.
---End Quote---

---Quote (Originally by Iakal)---
Hmm. Very interesting. That is because I have a test campaign, where I check each extension on its own. And it doesn't need another extension to produce the error message when using a weapon:

ActorManager.getActor - DEPRECATED -21-01--01 - Contact forge/extension author

I assume that would cover "broken when loaded by itself (internal issues)". By the way, except the error message the extension is working, but the error message appears multiple times, and that can be very nerving. Is there any chance someone can contact him? I don't know as he seems no to answer on DMG.
---End Quote---
You might want to bring this into Xelabs thread for it and not posting it here. As it has nothing to do with Advanced Effects.

mdrichey
March 20th, 2022, 17:07
For those who are not aware, the extension has been updated on DMs Guild. The ActorManager error should no longer be occurring.

RigelOrionBeta
July 13th, 2022, 05:10
Is there a way to disable the first major feature of this extension? I kind of just want the spell slot usage feature at the moment.

EDIT: I just noticed the second GIF shows how you can SHIFT double click to disable the spell automation. That helps, but would be nice to be able to disable it instead. Love the mod either way!

houseofdexter
August 16th, 2022, 01:16
ok...getting this error from Combat Automation when going to a Spell and unlocking it:

Handler error: [string “campaign/scripts/Combat_Automation.lua”]: 163: attempt to index global ‘rAction’ (a nil value)

Ozsome
August 26th, 2022, 18:34
Does anyone else that use this have any current problems? When I just downloaded the newest version from the last day or so, copied it over the previous it does not show up as an extension to be selected. I love this extension for my non technical players. Just clicking one button to cast spells or do attack and damage are excellent!
But I didn't think to keep the previous version before putting this one in place.

Tatershal
August 27th, 2022, 04:29
Does anyone else that use this have any current problems? When I just downloaded the newest version from the last day or so, copied it over the previous it does not show up as an extension to be selected. I love this extension for my non technical players. Just clicking one button to cast spells or do attack and damage are excellent!
But I didn't think to keep the previous version before putting this one in place.

me too

Tatershal
August 28th, 2022, 21:19
This extension is now only available on DMs Guild here
(https://www.dmsguild.com/product/347021/Fantasy-Grounds-Combat-Automation)
Spell pinning is available on DMs Guild here
(https://www.dmsguild.com/product/346992/Fantasy-Grounds-Pinned-Spells)

This extension allows to (almost) fully automate spellcasting.
It also fully supersedes my older extension "5E - Expending Spell Slots"

Main Feature 1: Automating Casting Actions

This extension will automatically cast spell actions when you click on a star button ("use power" button). By default, all actions will be cast in the order from left to right. If attack misses or save fully succeeds, the actions afterwards will not be executed. You can change the number of actions executed by default in Options. You can limit the number of actions per spell by putting "»#" in spell name, where # is number of actions to execute (e.g. "»1" will only execute first action). Shift-clicking use power button will not execute any actions.
Update: the extension now also allows to automatically execute weapon attacks and use character powers in the same manner as casting spells.
This extension can be combined with "Instant Dice" extension to achieve instant spell casting:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62047-Instant-Dice-Disable-Rolling-Animation

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39642&stc=1&d=1600962585

Main Feature 2: Expending spell slots on cast

This extension will also automatically expend appropriate spell slot when you click on a star button ("use power" button).
If the character has both spell slots and pact magic slots the priority will be pact magic -> spell slots.
Upcasting spells is possible by first entering intended cast level. Damage and healing should be automatically adjusted. You will have to manually take care of other effects (more targets, more projectiles, duration, etc).
You can set default upcast level for each spell by adding "@#" in spell name (e.g. "@3" will try to cast spell at 3rd level). Ctrl-clicking the button will execute all action, without expend spell slot. Alt-clicking executes all actions as ritual casting (without expending slot and adding 10 minutes to casting time).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39644&stc=1&d=1600964478

The extension was developed and tested for both Fantasy Grounds Unity and Classic.
If you find any bugs please let me know.

Versions:
1.0: Initial Release
1.1: Added Damage and Healing Scaling for Upcasting
1.2: Bug fix for Multitarget Automation
1.3: Bug fix for Targeting 0 Creatures
1.4: Improved compatibility with other extensions
1.5: Added support for automating weapon attacks
1.6: Fixed upcasted effect for some healing spells
1.7: Improvements in compatibility with other extensions
1.8: Fixed upcasting without expending slots

Your extension is no longer working

xelab
October 6th, 2022, 08:20
This extension is no longer supported, for the version that is supported please refer to: DMs Guild Version (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/347021/Fantasy-Grounds-Combat-Automation)

mdrichey
October 7th, 2022, 21:44
This extension is no longer supported, for the version that is supported please refer to: DMs Guild Version (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/347021/Fantasy-Grounds-Combat-Automation)

This post doesn't make sense. The extension that you say is no longer supported is the same extension that you link to on DMs Guild that you say is supported.

xelab
October 14th, 2022, 10:45
This post doesn't make sense. The extension that you say is no longer supported is the same extension that you link to on DMs Guild that you say is supported.

This was a free version (called "Spell Automation"), which I do not support anymore, the DMs Guild version (called "Combat Automation") is paid and is supported. What does not make sense?

Ozsome
November 1st, 2022, 04:30
Is there a Combat Automation thread? I didn't see one and tried a search, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. My combat automation no longer allows upcasting, single click weapon attacks or the clicking on the star for autocasting. Is anyone else having those issues?

Disregard. Simplest thing ever. The extension was missing. Not sure how it disappeared but simple fix to download again.

Tatershal
February 25th, 2023, 15:02
This extension has stopped working properly in the new version, star no longer runs slots and actions, no error code

xelab
February 26th, 2023, 18:50
There has been a big update to 5E and CoreRPG on FG side, they have moved parts of code between rulesets and broke some of the entry points for my code. I am currently working on a resolution for "Combat Automation" extension for DM's Guild

mdrichey
March 6th, 2023, 19:10
Xelab posted an updated (fixed) version to DM's Guild last night (5 March 2023).

knightsoftheround100
May 8th, 2023, 23:24
The EXT apply effects too ?

MrDDT
May 9th, 2023, 01:07
The EXT apply effects too ?

Yes.