PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Adept extension glitch

arkanis
September 24th, 2020, 08:53
I'm having some problems with this extension that I cannot pinpoint.
The IGNORERESIST effect doesn't seem to work for me but I know that the extension is "on" because it correctly replaces the "1's" rolled with "2's".

Here's my list of activated extensions

Ty

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2020, 10:09
Make sure you test without any other extensions enabled so that you can help the author track down the issue. You are using a colossal amount of extensions so it could be a conflict with another one that is the cause. You should probably also post this on the DMsGuild unless there is a thread for this extension on the forums here in which case you should post in that thread so the author sees it.

arkanis
September 24th, 2020, 13:27
Thanks Zacchaeus, it seems to be a conflict with the "5E - Advanced Effects extension".
And about the number of extensions, well, that's something I've already pointed out, the problem with relying on 3rd party extensions. Most of them are to automate 5E functionality, I just wished that FGC included that functionality natively, because now another problem arises:
What about paid extensions like this? When there's a commercial transaction there's also a compromise of proper support.

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2020, 13:50
I'm not sure what you mean. You use any extension at your own risk and you are at the mercy of the extension author as to whether they can (or are willing) to make the extension work with others. The more extensions you use the more likely you are to get conflicts - especially when they all do stuff that affects common things like the Combat Tracker.

arkanis
September 24th, 2020, 14:55
Of course, you are right, what I'm trying to point unsuccessfully is:
1. FGC official 5E ruleset support is lagging behind. There's a lot of extensions to do the work that the core 5E should do, and that delta is increasing
2. Paid extensions. When you put a paid product on the shelf and the product is still on sale, the author has to offer some modicum of support. That's going to be problematic as long as there is a sudden boom of paid extensions and the authors are independent and do not coordinate each other.

Best Regards

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2020, 15:35
I agree with both your points.

I accept that the flow of automation in the 5e ruleset, at any rate, has pretty much dried up; the last thing I think being the automatic implementation of concentration checks of spells which require such. The reasons of course is that the chief programmer of the 5e ruleset has been almost fully occupied with Unity over the last several years. However the bright side is that we are closing in on the final release of Unity and the Kickstarter allowed Smiteworks to employ two new ruleset programmers. The potential output from these two isn't fully visible as yet (at least in the 5e ruleset except for the Character Wizard) but I fully expect that down the road we'll begin to see some significant changes. From what I can gather the aim is to increase the functionality of the CoreRPG ruleset to incorporate many new things so that all rulesets based on Core can benefit - and not just the 5e one.

As for paid for extensions this is a relatively new phenomenon. Up until recently the majority, if not all, extensions were provided to the community free of charge by the authors. As such if things broke and, as happens, the extension author was no longer active, the extension fell by the wayside or someone else took them over and maintained or even improved them. Either way it was no a huge deal since no costs were involved. With paid extensions I think you are correct in that the author takes on far more responsibility to correct things. However many things can break an extension and I'm not sure that I see it as the author's responsibility to make their extensions work alongside any of the many other extensions that are out there. In fact, depending on what the extensions does, it just might not be possible to do anything about it. Your point is valid, in that if these things were built into the ruleset, then there would be no such conflicts.

Personally I use very few extensions and the ones I do use don't do anything to automate bits of the 5e ruleset's automation that are 'missing'. That is not to say that I wouldn't like to see the effects system for one thing expanded with more keywords so that I could automate some of the things that aren't implemented. But I am confident that will be a thing in the future and I can live, in the meantime, without it.

mattekure
September 24th, 2020, 18:20
As an extension author (both free and paid), I'll chime in as well.

I totally agree that more functionality should be baked into the ruleset. I am hoping that further ruleset development will begin once the push for Unity has settled down somewhat.

For support of an extension, there is only so much we, as extension authors can do. There are simply going to be some extensions that will not work together because they are interacting with and changing the same elements within FG. That said, most of the people I know that sell extensions, do provide ongoing support and do try to make things as compatible as possible. You cannot however, expect the authors to guarantee that their product will be fully compatible with someone elses product that they have no visibility in or control over. All we can do is ensure that what we develop works as advertised, and try to fix bugs as they are uncovered.

For example, I have an extension for sale that handles syrinscape audio links. Celestian has also posted a free extension that does something similar here on the FG forums. But there is no way that both of our extensions can be used concurrently as we both need to modify the same files in the FG ruleset. DMs need to decide for themselves which extension(s) they will run, and whether they are compatible or not.

kentmccullough
September 24th, 2020, 18:45
Thanks for the report @arkanis. I'll take a look and see if I can get these working nicely together. If you have any other issues with any of my extensions feel free to let me know, best place is probably on discord at https://discord.gg/FVgtecr in the #kent-mccullough-stuff channel. As far as the 5E ruleset goes and the extension work I've done, I'd love to see all my extensions just swallowed up into the ruleset, but no clue if that's a thing that'll ever happen. I didn't want to wait for the automation so built it myself.

arkanis
September 24th, 2020, 19:09
As an extension author (both free and paid), I'll chime in as well.

I totally agree that more functionality should be baked into the ruleset. I am hoping that further ruleset development will begin once the push for Unity has settled down somewhat.

For support of an extension, there is only so much we, as extension authors can do. There are simply going to be some extensions that will not work together because they are interacting with and changing the same elements within FG. That said, most of the people I know that sell extensions, do provide ongoing support and do try to make things as compatible as possible. You cannot however, expect the authors to guarantee that their product will be fully compatible with someone elses product that they have no visibility in or control over. All we can do is ensure that what we develop works as advertised, and try to fix bugs as they are uncovered.

For example, I have an extension for sale that handles syrinscape audio links. Celestian has also posted a free extension that does something similar here on the FG forums. But there is no way that both of our extensions can be used concurrently as we both need to modify the same files in the FG ruleset. DMs need to decide for themselves which extension(s) they will run, and whether they are compatible or not.

Fair enough, I agree with you about that.
But when we are talking about buying and selling there should be a way to make an informed decision, like a compatibility cross-reference table or something. There are a hundred motherboard vendors and a hundred DRAM vendors, but when you buy a module you can usually know beforehand if the memory is going to work on your motherboard.
At least, I would like to know before buying which extensions I would have to drop to have that new functionality.

mattekure
September 24th, 2020, 19:12
In big industries, you are absolutely correct. But you are talking about people who do this as a hobby, for a couple of bucks. We are all at the mercy of whatever FG does with the rulesets and have to work in the boundaries they provide. Where possible, we make things as compatible as we can. But a new extension could come out tomorrow that breaks compatibility, or an existing extension may get an incompatible update. Or Smitworks may change something in the underlying system that breaks extensions, or any number of other things may happen. I keep a list online of the extensions I am using and whether they are compatible or not. but its constantly changing.

SmackDaddy
September 24th, 2020, 21:47
Well said mattekure.

As a consumer of paid extensions, I accept the fact that some may not work together and have to educate myself ahead of time on any potential pitfalls. Consumers *should* educate themselves before dropping even a single dollar to purchase an extension. You can't expect all of the authors to work in coordination together in a hobby such as this. Just because something can be purchased doesn't mean someone shouldn't do THEIR homework to know if there are current issues or bugs or incompatibilities. I have a few extensions I purchased in the beginning and now regret that I didn't do MORE homework ahead of time. It's why there is a saying of "Buyer Beward" I have a few sets of extensions/modules that I've purchased and get prompt and detailed assistance....and i have some community extensions whereby the author is no longer around and no one is continuing the work. It's frustrating but what can ya do? In any case, I have been extremely happy with the general FG community and how helpful everyone has been to a new FG DM such as myself.

arkanis
September 25th, 2020, 01:10
Thatīs the point of all of this, despite what you say, there’s no way of doing “your homework” before buying.
Less ethically, you can wait and let another “fool” to buy it and tell its experience, but it could take weeks, months or it may never happen.
I’m aware there’s no easy way of fixing it so let’s get moving