PDA

View Full Version : Energy drain/negative levels

Seems
September 24th, 2020, 06:07
Is there any way to apply energy drain/negative levels as an effect from an attack? Asking for a Party about to enter Scarwall...!

Phixation
September 24th, 2020, 08:06
effect is "NLvL #" but it does NOT change hit points. only the automated rolling

Seems
September 24th, 2020, 16:14
Thanks! I did check the Wiki, but apparently didn't see it all the way at the bottom. Oops!

Asgurgolas
September 24th, 2020, 16:31
There's an extension from bmos about hitpoints, which has a MHP effect (max hp) modifier. So with that you just go with "NLVL: 1; MHP: -5" or "NLVL: 4; MHP: -20" and it's set

Seems
September 25th, 2020, 01:27
Okay, so I must be doing this wrong. I took a cinder ghoul as an example and, as I expected, a successful attack on a character does not induce a roll for energy drain. So I created a custom effect in the effects manager with "NLVL: 1". When I apply it to a character, their combat stats do not change at all, although they have "NLVL: 1" on them in the combat tracker. Since I seem to be a bit obtuse, how exactly do I use "NLvL #" to actually apply a negative level to a character?

Thanks!

Kelrugem
September 25th, 2020, 01:40
Okay, so I must be doing this wrong. I took a cinder ghoul as an example and, as I expected, a successful attack on a character does not induce a roll for energy drain. So I created a custom effect in the effects manager with "NLVL: 1". When I apply it to a character, their combat stats do not change at all, although they have "NLVL: 1" on them in the combat tracker. Since I seem to be a bit obtuse, how exactly do I use "NLvL #" to actually apply a negative level to a character?

Thanks!

Effects never affect the character sheet (except some exception of bmos extension about HP), the effects will affect the data when you actually roll something :) When you have STR: 2 as an effect, then you won't see any change in the character sheet; but whenever you roll something where strength is accounted you see something in the chat about [EFFECTS +1], showing you that this effect affected this roll :)

Seems
September 25th, 2020, 01:42
Ahhhh! Well that's reassuring! Thanks for the quick response.

dellanx
September 28th, 2020, 22:22
effect is "NLvL #" but it does NOT change hit points. only the automated rolling

I believe "bmos" live hitpoint extension will handle the hit points once "NLvl" effect is applied.

https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59500-PFRPG-Live-Hitpoints-from-Constitution-Extension

bmos
September 29th, 2020, 00:02
I believe "bmos" live hitpoint extension will handle the hit points once "NLvl" effect is applied.

https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59500-PFRPG-Live-Hitpoints-from-Constitution-ExtensionIt sure does :)
I had totally forgotten I added that feature! I'll add that to the readme.

Seems
September 29th, 2020, 00:12
This is next on my list! Just finished using the extension to automate the barbarian's rage. Two thumbs up!

Zygmunt Molotch
October 1st, 2020, 08:58
It sure does :)
I had totally forgotten I added that feature! I'll add that to the readme.

but ah,

but it doesn't do it automatically pr have I found a potential issue? :p

seems still need to add the effect MHP: -5 per NLVL

example:

a : without NLVL: 39848
b : with NLVL: 39849
c : with NLVL & MHP: -5 : 39850

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/Gamemastering/special-abilities/#TOC-Energy-Drain-and-Negative-Levels

bmos
October 1st, 2020, 11:57
but it doesn't do it automatically pr have I found a potential issue? :pAh, looks like I implemented it too literally! I was using them to reduce the effective level for calculating 'ability hp'.

Seems
October 1st, 2020, 17:20
So when I use NLVL: 1; MHP: -5, the -5 HP show up in the wounds box. When the PC receives a cure spell, it heals the 5 HP of wounds. Is there some way the MHP -5 can actually cap the maximum HP to prevent them from being cured?

bmos
October 1st, 2020, 17:29
So when I use NLVL: 1; MHP: -5, the -5 HP show up in the wounds box. When the PC receives a cure spell, it heals the 5 HP of wounds. Is there some way the MHP -5 can actually cap the maximum HP to prevent them from being cured?

It's definitely not supposed to do that! What version of Live Hitpoints (it will say in the chat when you first load it)? Classic or Unity?
I just tested the latest version (updated today as a result of this thread) in Unity and it is working as intended for me.

Seems
October 1st, 2020, 17:36
It's definitely not supposed to do that! What version of Live Hitpoints (it will say in the chat when you first load it)? Classic or Unity?
I just tested the latest version (updated today as a result of this thread) in Unity and it is working as intended for me.

1.3.1, but exiting and then reloading seemed to solve the problem! Thanks for following up though!