PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Unity Questions

Jinesh
September 23rd, 2020, 14:17
Let me preface this with, if there is a FAQ that answers my questions feel free to point me in that direction. I have done some searching and what I have found hasn't really answered my questions.

Thank you all in advance for any answers you give!

1: Do we know of a rough release date yet? I saw on the kickstarter December 2019, but given that it is kickstarter I dont have faith in that estimate.
<<spam removed>>
2: I am thinking of buying the ultimate version of the current platform, would there be a way to upgrade from FG to FGU? I assume there will be a cost, but say I start making my campaign, will all of the work I do be able to migrate?

3: This is more opinion than fact, but would it be worth it to wait for FGU at this point? Instead of buying or subscribing to the current FG? I do plan on buying several books as well and from what I've seen I wont have to repurchase for FGU.

I am fairly interested in FGU given a bunch of the new features (DLOS!), but I also want to get the ball rolling. This will be my first VTT as far as this style of game is concerned, and I did look at roll20 but FG seems to be a better match as to what I am looking for. Any additional advice will be greatly appreciated!

Sarteck
September 23rd, 2020, 14:33
1) No, they're pretty adamant about not giving even a rough estimate, just "it'll be done when it's done." While I dislike the reluctance to give a date, I guess it's better than not keeping a promise.

2) I don't know about the cost of upgrade from FGC to FGU. However, if you make your campaign in FGC, it seems to import seamlessly into FGU. (Keep in mind that the reverse is not true; it's not backwards compatible.)

3) I tried out FGU for several sessions this Spring, and there were a lot of issues I had, mostly with resource consumption (both clients and host) that caused a lot of crashing. I migrated everything to FGC while waiting for FGU to get a little better, and we just switched back to FGU last session, and all of the issues we previously experienced seem to have been addressed. I can't say that you'll have the same experience, but I'd suggest giving it a go for a session or two, see how it works out for you. I'm not disappointed.

Additionally, they have some policy about refunding your subscription if, within 30 days, you decide not to keep using it. (I don't know the exact policy on this, mind you.)

I will be trying it out for one or two more sessions, and if everything is good to go, I'll cancel my FGC subscription and use only FGU for right now.

Zacchaeus
September 23rd, 2020, 14:43
Hi Jinesh, welcome to FG.

1. See post #6 in this thread for the latest we have on a release date. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62021-Full-Release-Date&p=543079&viewfull=1#post543079
2. Yes, the upgrade cost from FGC to Unity is currently 40% off the cost of the license. Yes you can migrate from Classic to Unity
3. That's up to you to decide. One thing to consider is that depending on where you are you may not be able to Port Forward which Classic requires and Unity doesn't. However I would recommend that you download the demo for Unity and Classic and play around with both to see what the differences are. Maybe take out a subscription. If you like it and decide to buy you can then do so; and if you don't like iot you can forget it. Either way you can get your money back via [email protected] if you cancel the sub within the 30 day period. So that would cost you nothing.