PDA

View Full Version : Issue calculating distances between huge or gargantuan creature tokens on square grid

Rafael Martins
September 22nd, 2020, 22:07
I'm having trouble with Fantasy Grounds Classic to correctly calculate the distance between creatures when one of them is Huge or Gargantuan. Up to 40 feet it calculates correctly, then it jumps to 185 feet (?) and them by seemingly random values. Everything works fine with medium and large creatures, but for some reason this bug happens with larger creatures. I'm using DnD 5E ruleset, no extension (I created a new campaign to test and the bug persists)

Moon Wizard
September 23rd, 2020, 00:03
Can you set up a 5E campaign with the tokens placed on a map to show the issue; and then send us a zipped up copy of the campaign folder?

Thanks,
JPG

Rafael Martins
September 23rd, 2020, 04:00
Sure! How can I attach the files?

LordEntrails
September 23rd, 2020, 04:10
Click the "Go Advanced" button when typing your reply and you will then have more options. One of the icons is "Attachments"

Rafael Martins
September 23rd, 2020, 15:01
I tried this before, but I couldn't find an option to attach files. What I am missing? I'm sending a screen shot here: https://i.imgur.com/R5vUlea.jpg

Zacchaeus
September 23rd, 2020, 15:15
You are using the mobile view of the forum. Go down to the bottom of the page and select one of the other options from the drop down. You'll then see all of the 'Go Advanced' button which will lead you to the screen which allows posts to have attachments.

Rafael Martins
September 23rd, 2020, 16:59
Now it worked! I'm attaching the campaign, just with the map and tokens. Thank you!
(Just to be clear, it's still not working! What worked was uploading the attachment)

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2020, 04:42
Can you upload the actual campaign folder zipped up with the tokens placed such that the issue is visible?

Modules do not contain any token placement information; so I wouldn't be able to see the issue, nor would I know what settings you have for your campaign.

Thanks,
JPG

Rafael Martins
September 25th, 2020, 15:51
Okay, sorry I didn't notice that. I tried to do this at first, but the forum doesn't accept the .rar attachment, I can't create a .zip file because I don't have the windows zip. I'm sending the rar file but I renamed it to zip so that the forum accepts it, rename it to rar before unzipping it should work.
By the way, I'm curious, if you open the map in the module I sent, and put the tokens of a medium creature and a huge or gargantuan yourself, and try the distances beyond 40 feet, will you experience the same bug? I am suspecting that it has something to do with the map, because I tried to replicate the bug with other maps and it works normally. Thank you again!

Nylanfs
September 25th, 2020, 16:28
Your rar program likely has the option to save as a zip file.

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2020, 17:54
Also if you have Windows then you do have zip. Right click on the folder or files you want to zip and select Send to.. > Compressed file

Rafael Martins
September 25th, 2020, 18:20
Ok! Thank you again for the clarification. I didn't know I had this native option on windows, good to know. Should I compress the files again, or were you able to access with what I sent?

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2020, 20:09
I'm not seeing that issue on my machine. Is this what you are seeing? Can you check your rulesets directory in the FG data folder, and make sure you don't have any subfolders there?

Regards,
JPG

Rafael Martins
September 25th, 2020, 21:31
This is very strange! I have attached images of what happens here with me

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2020, 21:35
That doesn't look like the same campaign that you sent me. I'm trying to track down what is different between your setup and my setup; so getting the exact same data is key, if we can.

Did you check your rulesets folder, and double-check your extension list for that campaign?

Regards,
JPG

Rafael Martins
September 25th, 2020, 22:33
You are right, it is not the same campaign, it is my original campaign. I created a new campaign to make sure that the error persists. I sent to you the screenshot for the same campaign now, it does not contain any activated extensions, only the map and tokens. As you can see, the error persists for me.

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2020, 23:58
Understood. My point is that I'm unable to recreate the issue here with the data provided so far; so I'm looking for help in getting the data that will allow me to recreate the issue. Otherwise, I have no idea what the issue is to fix.

Can anyone else try out the Underwater.zip in this post, and tell me what you get? (Actually a RAR file renamed; but 7-Zip can handle it)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62158-Issue-calculating-distances-between-huge-or-gargantuan-creature-tokens-on-square-grid&p=544711&viewfull=1#post544711

Thanks,
JPG

Rafael Martins
September 26th, 2020, 03:27
Thanks a lot for the help. I don't really understand what happens. From what I noticed, this happens with this map with a resolution above 5,000 pixels. I greatly reduced the resolution of the image in photoshop, ending with a very blurry image, and the distances returned to work.

Moon Wizard
September 29th, 2020, 15:26
My apologies. I had scanned the issue originally; and missed that this was on FG Classic. When I assigned this one to Carl to investigate in FGU and he investigated, he noticed the FGC note in the first post that I missed.

FG Classic does not handle large images very well. We recommend using images less than 2K by 2K resolution for best performance; and anything over 4K by 4K will actually encounter issues.

I'll look and see if it's simply a logic issue that I can patch; or if it's tied to the 4K limitations.

Regards,
JPG

Rafael Martins
September 29th, 2020, 17:14
All right! Thank you for your support