PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor Extension (for 5E)

Minty23185Fresh
September 22nd, 2020, 16:07
THIS EXTENSION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

As of late September 2023 I've not played D&D in over a year now.
It's doubtful that I will return in the near future.
Currently I have no interest, nor time, to maintain it.

This extension ensures most uses of a Bardic Inspiration Die conform to th 5E rule stipulation: "the inspiration die may be used after a roll result is stated but before the outcome of the roll is announced". The Lucky Feat has similar rules so it too is supported.

STOP!! ## Before downloading and trying to use this extension
READ, UNDERSTAND and be willing to COMPLY with the instructions and limitations
stated in posts #2 and #3 of this thread. ## STOP!!

The following posts to this thread contain this information:
#2 - How to use the extension (Use, part 1).
#3 - Limitations and Caveats (Use, part 2).
#4 - Versioning information, Known issues. And what ever else.
(The versioning information also acts as a pseudo-index, of sorts, to new and added functionality, often pointing to specific posts in this thread that detail changes.)

The current version of this extension (v0.0.10) released on Nov 27, 2022.

FGU users can subscribe to receive automated updates of this extension in the Forge (here (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/622/view)).

This extension is not available for FGC.

Minty23185Fresh
September 22nd, 2020, 16:08
Extension Necessity:
From the Bardic Inspiration section of the Bard's Class in the 5E Player's Handbook: "The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails." Restated: Some features that use the Bardic Inspiration Die rely on the player knowing the outcome of the roll of the dice but not whether that roll succeeded or failed at its intended use.

Fantasy Grounds does a lot of the math work for us for many rolls of the dice. It also announces the results, success or failure, for most of those rolls if the "Chat: Show Results to Client" option in the Options Manager is "On". This extension inserts itself in between the adjudication of the dice roll and the announcement of the result for three specific features of the Bardic Inspiration Die feature: Bardic Inspiration, Combat Inspiration and Cutting Words.

If you are a DM that announces the results of every dice roll this extension is of no use to you.

Extension Effect:
When properly set up and employed the extension will modify what Fantasy Grounds displays in the Chat Box. The following image is comprised of two screenshots, the upper portion is the Chat, Character Sheet and Combat Tracker for the PC Thayus and the lower portion is similar but that of the DM.
Two attack rolls by the PC Thayus are displayed, one (circled in blue) is without the extension coming into play, the second (circled in red) is when the extension does its thing. When the "Bardic Inspiration" Effect is applied to Thayus and he makes his attack, the outcome of the throw is displayed but its result is not (for the player). However the DM is privy to the adjudication of the roll. Note that the "[EFFECT] Bardic Inspiration" is displayed to both Chats as a reminder that something additional is expected. The DM should announce the roll total and the player needs to decide whether or not that's sufficient for the desired outcome, and if not, whether or not a Bardic Inspiration Die roll might sufficiently affect the result.

Extension Environment:
In the next screenshot, of the Fantasy Grounds Options Manager, three of the options that affect, to varying degrees, what is displayed to the players in the chat box are circled in blue. The most important of these (in red) is the "Chat: Show Results to Client". If this option is "Off" this extension is also turned off, because all results have to be verbally announced by the DM anyway.

Some setup is required. The DM or the player with a Bard character must add a couple of Effects to the Bard's character sheet. I suppose one could add them to the Effects Manager instead. The Effects' names cannot be changed, the extension uses those specific strings to key off of. The following screenshot displays all the details.
As of version v0.0.10, additional parameters or notes are allowed with the Effect Names (see post #80 of this thread).
Typically the Bard will only have two of the three Effects available since "Combat Inspiration" and "Cutting Words" are Bard College specific. The example of descriptive content marked with orange is not necessary but I find it can be helpful to have it all on the Actions tab with the Effects.

Extension Use:
The typical scenario for this extension's use is: during the Bard's turn the player can elect to apply the appropriate effect to whichever other player they wish. Note that once the Bard reaches 3rd level the Cutting Words Effect is always present (for a College of Lore Bard). When the triggering circumstances occur (e.g. attack, save, damage, etc.) the extension intercepts the results announcement and displays "[Effect] <effects name>". At this point the affected player must decide if they wish to use a Bardic Inspiration Die to affect the results. Then the DM has a little math to do.

Minty23185Fresh
September 22nd, 2020, 16:08
Extension Caveats:

Unhandled Skill Checks - The Bardic Inspiration Die is also available under certain circumstances for Skill Checks and Ability Checks. This extension ignores those checks because they are adjudicated by the DM not by Fantasy Grounds.
Poor Handling of Area of Effect Spells - When outcome and results are reported for an Area of Effect spell too much information is shared with the players (see post #47 of this thread).

Extension Peculiarity: Effect Removal
I have modified the default behavior of Fantasy Grounds where the player that applied an effect to another actor in Combat Tracker is the one that can remove that effect. For the two effects that the Bard applies to someone else, "Bardic Inspiration" and "Combat Inspiration", the player whose PC has that effect on them, is the one who can remove the effect. For example, assume Arwin the Bard gives Bardic Inspiration to Thayus the Paladin. Upon using the Bardic Inspiration Die, Thayus is the one that can remove the Effect not Arwin.

I would like to thank Nickademus and Trenloe. By dissecting Nickademus's "5E Remove Effect Tag" extension that he developed with assistance from Trenloe, I was able to comprehend what must be done to effect the changes I just mentioned. Their work quickly pointed me down the right path. Thank you very much for your hard work and for sharing that work with the community.

Extension Interactions:
Many new users of Fantasy Grounds see the huge variety of community developed extensions available to them and they load 'em up. "What could be better than all this additional functionality?" The answer might be none of it! But certainly, less of it. If you are not actively using an extension's functionality, don't load it. Community developers work in a bit of a vacuum. I don't pay attention to what's out there, unless I want or need it. Because the more extensions I have loaded the greater the chances are that those extensions might adversely interact with one another - giving errant results, undesired behaviors or crashing. I make sure my extensions work with the rest of my extensions and with those that I use from other community developers. But not every other extension out there.

This extension is exceptionally simple: when a result of a dice roll is going to be displayed in the Chat, the extension looks at the roll type (e.g. attack, damage, etc.) and decides if any of the Bardic Inspiration Die Effects should quash it. And then prevents the result from being displayed in the player's Chat boxes when appropriate.

I have gone to great effort to ensure this extension modifies a minimal amount of ruleset code thereby minimizing possible conflicts. However, I cannot guarantee a conflict won't occur. Particularly if another developer's extension interferes with my extension's functionality instead of visa versa.

If you have problems with this extension, it is your responsibility to determine if the fault is extension conflicts. The first thing I will ask you is: "Do you use any other extensions?" If so, "Have you unloaded all the other extensions? Do you still have a problem?" So you might as well figure it out beforehand. If you don't know how to go about it, take a look at post #18 of this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34099-Extension-interaction-Attn-ext-users-and-ext-developers-(soliciting-comments)/page2).

Extension Copyright:
This extension is copywritten by me, in its entirety. The copyright does not prevent you from modifying it for your own use. But you may not share nor publish the modified extension with anyone as long as it has any of my copywritten code in it.

Minty23185Fresh
September 22nd, 2020, 16:09
NOV 27, 2022 v0.0.10 - nil value error fixed, BIDI Effects syntax relaxed (post #80)
MAY 15, 2022 v0.0.9 - supports incidental area of effect saves (post #47)
APR 21, 2022 v0.0.8 - minor extension.xml changes for better Forge support
APR 21, 2022 v0.0.7 - discontinued support for FGC
FEB 29, 2022 v0.0.6 - Support for Lucky Feat announced (posts #41 & #43).
FEB 16, 2021 v0.0.6 - New FG release broke the extension (constants in FG changed values).
SEP 22, 2020 v0.0.5 - Announcement and BIDI initial release.

Alanrockid
September 22nd, 2020, 18:26
This could be also useful to features like "precision attack" from fighter's combat superiority. If you can make it so in a way that it apply the modifier to a previous attack/damage roll, it would greatly expand the possibilities of this extension (effects that cut damage suffered by half after rolled like "parry" or "uncanny dodge", for example).

Minty23185Fresh
September 22nd, 2020, 20:59
Thanks for replying Alanrockid.
I see how my statements could have been misinterpreted. This extension does not pause the calculations that FG does in determining result. It just prevents the result from being displayed to the players. (That’s obvious I know, because as I said in post #2, the result is displayed to the DM.)

Going back in time is difficult. Also saving a bunch of data during the result calculations, and then applying that saved data, should some event occur (parry, uncanny dodge), intercepting the event, and recalculating with new data, in a manner that Smiteworks has not already implemented is not something I am willing to entertain. I’ve looked at this problem before (other extension ideas) and abandoned those efforts.

But I invite you to give it a go.

eriktedesco
September 23rd, 2020, 19:22
Hi Minty! Thanks a lot for this extension. My bard player will be delighted.

I'm using it in FGU.

Just so I'm not overlooking anything...barding inspiration should trigger also for skill and save throws, right? I did not check for the latter, but Bardic Inspiration seems to not be activated during skill check.

Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot again!!!

Minty23185Fresh
September 23rd, 2020, 20:17
Hi Minty! Thanks a lot for this extension. My bard player will be delighted.

I'm using it in FGU.

Just so I'm not overlooking anything...barding inspiration should trigger also for skill and save throws, right? I did not check for the latter, but Bardic Inspiration seems to not be activated during skill check.

Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot again!!!

No on skill checks and ability checks as stated in post 3. Yes on saves, if it is appropriate. I’m pretty sure the only case being The Bardic Inspiration Feature.

vaughnlannister
September 24th, 2020, 12:43
Hi Minty, nice extension :)

I was wondering if understood how applying the Cutting Word effect correctly? I have put an effect on my Bard; Cutting Word. Does this mean that any, attack, damage or ability check by an Enemy NPC will be intercepted and not displayed in the chat to the players? At the moment when trying to effect is not triggered. Should at the start of combat all enemies be applied with the Bardic Inspiration effect for this to work? Thank you for your help!

Minty23185Fresh
September 24th, 2020, 17:12
The effect is “Cutting Words”. With the “s”. As in plural.

vaughnlannister
September 24th, 2020, 17:23
The effect is “Cutting Words”. With the “s”. As in plural.

Mucho's Gracias for finding that :D!!!

It's working now :D!!!

Gissur
September 29th, 2020, 17:37
Bardic Inspiration works on Attack rolls, Ability Checks (Skills, Initiative, etc) and Saves unless You are a valor bard where it can be used for damage and as a reaction for AC. Other Bard classes have their own.

The effect for Bardic Inspiration is simple but the fact it can be a choice to roll after a roll have been made make it so FG need an extension to apply this.
If you take away the option to choose to use it after a roll FG handles this easy with: Bardic Inspiration; ATK: 1d6; SAVE: 1d6; CHECK: 1d6; SKILL: 1d6 (Target:X, On use: Next Roll)
But thats not as intended as you probably want to use it after you see your roll of a save or Check etc. Since Bardic Inspiration works on your Initiatives and Counter spell checks you can jsut make an ingame effect for this as per above. But an extension is required if you want to add the roll after. Or...as I do. The Bard have an effect created he marks players with and we simply manually add or detract the rolls. The only time this is an issue is if its used as a saving throw vs half damage on a spell targeting 10+ as it simply is a nuisance. But thats quickly done by removing the player from targets, having him roll a seperate save including BI, and in the Chat you can just half the damage of a spell with a click of a button, drag and drop onto a character if they succeeded and voila.

Minty23185Fresh
September 30th, 2020, 00:02
@Gissur
I’m sorry I don’t understand the intent of your post. Are you advocating for not using my extension? Using a set of Effects instead? Then by all means, don’t use it. I’m not trying to force it on anyone. I find it helpful. I thought I’d share it with those who might want to use it. If you don’t, don’t use it. No biggie.

eriktedesco
November 7th, 2020, 07:25
Hi Minty, it seems this extension has broken with the new FGU updates.

I'm setting Chat: Show GM rolls on OFF and Chat: Show results to Clients on On, but Bardic Inspiration is not triggered.

I have tried all on off combination but to no avail.

The test was performed in a vanilla situation ( FGU latest version, no extension and mod loaded, except for your bardic inspiration one).

Hope you will be able to address this issue since my bard player (my fiancee) is totally enjoying it.

Thanks for your support and patience.

UPDATE: Problem solved! Wrong spelling of Bardic Inspiration (the c in Bardic was missing).

Milmoor
January 9th, 2021, 09:45
Thanks for this extension. Having Bardic Inspiration is rather similar to the spending of an Hero Point. You have to choose to use it after a roll, but before the effect of that result is announced. Would you be willing to check for an effect to a character who has used it's hero point? That would allow for collaboration with https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28660-Hero-Points-Extension-for-CoreRPG-(3-5E-4E-PFRPG-CoC-CnC). I'll post something similar in that thread.

Minty23185Fresh
January 9th, 2021, 13:28
Thanks for this extension. Having Bardic Inspiration is rather similar to the spending of an Hero Point. You have to choose to use it after a roll, but before the effect of that result is announced. Would you be willing to check for an effect to a character who has used it's hero point? That would allow for collaboration with https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28660-Hero-Points-Extension-for-CoreRPG-(3-5E-4E-PFRPG-CoC-CnC). I'll post something similar in that thread.
I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you’re asking for. Do you want damed’s extension to add some named effect, e.g. “Hero Point”, when the player uses it, then you want my extension to look for that effect and treat it how? Like a Bardic Inspiration Point?, so that the roll result is not announced? For what type of rolls? Saves? Attacks? Checks?

[EDIT]Okay, I just looked up “Hero Points” in the 5e DMG. I’ve never used them before, didn’t know they existed. My comment above is moot. I have a better handle on this now. This extension could be made to intercept, say a “Hero Point” Effect and behave appropriately. Truth be told it does something like that for luck points, but that’s been unpublished until now, mainly because I found it of little value so far.

Additionally, Milmoor if I start running into extension conflicts as mentioned in post #2 of this thread, I may throw up my hands and refuse to implement your request. I don’t have the time to devote to sorting that sort of thing out.

Milmoor
January 9th, 2021, 17:31
I totally get that. Thanks for taking a look. Since the extensions focus on very different parts of the equation, I'm hoping for no conflicts.

Minty23185Fresh
January 9th, 2021, 18:24
@Milmoor an alternate possibility, should we have intra-extension conflicts, is for me to implement on my end and then the player would just add the Hero Point effect to their character. It would only need to be added once and then the player would just turn it on or off at will.

Minty23185Fresh
January 10th, 2021, 05:34
@Milmoor - I started looking into this and unfortunately I believe this won't act the way you want it to. The problem is timing and the computer's inability to read someone's mind.

The way the extension works is: a PC is given a Bardic Inspiration Die by a Bard. The Bard adds the appropriate effect to the PC. The extension intercepts all of the appropriate roll results from being reported to the players. Note the timing. The effect is applied. ALL future rolls of the appropriate type are intercepted.

What you want is for the player's PC with a Hero Point to be able to play the Hero Point based on the number(s) on the dice roll, before it's adjudicated. This can't be done. The computer cannot guess when a player is going to want to play the Hero Point. It can only intercept all rolls and have the player decide for each one.

What actually must happen is this: the player adds the Hero Point effect to their PC. Then future rolls of the appropriate type (and in this case pretty much all of them) will be intercepted. The dice values will be displayed but not the adjudicated result. The DM will have to then ask, "Do you want to spend a Hero Point?"

I don't know for sure, but I assume most if not all of the players' PCs have Hero Points to use. So essentially every roll in the game will have to be announced by the DM. If that's the case, don't use my extension, just use the configuration manager to change the setting to not show results to the players.

If you haven't used my extension, all of this might not be apparent, but doing a little experimenting and I think what I am trying to get across will become obvious. Try it out with "Bardic Inspiration". It looks to me as though all the appropriate rolls for "Bardic Inspiration" are the same as for "Hero Point".

If after your experiments you still want me to add support for a Hero Point effect let me know. I'm glad I looked into this. damned would have done a lot of work for nothing. The Hero Points extension does not need to apply the effect. Each player with Hero Points to spend adds the effect to their PC and then when they want to use a point they use damned's extension to keep the tally correct. When they're out of Hero Points they turn of the effect or delete it. (The effect is always on as long as they have Hero Points to spend.)

Milmoor
January 10th, 2021, 08:13
You are right. The Hero Points are not limited in time, which is needed. Thanks for taking a serious look at this.

Minty23185Fresh
February 17th, 2021, 04:18
Announcing a new version (v0.0.6) of the Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor (BIDI).
The new version of Fantasy Grounds caused BIDI to fail.
A patch to remedy this issue has been posted in post #1 of this thread.
The new version of BIDI was tested with both FG Classic and FG Unity.

rtrevino
March 12th, 2021, 04:27
Announcing a new version (v0.0.6) of the Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor (BIDI).
The new version of Fantasy Grounds caused BIDI to fail.
A patch to remedy this issue has been posted in post #1 of this thread.
The new version of BIDI was tested with both FG Classic and FG Unity.

hello,

I am just testing your extension and I am getting this player output. it still has the Hit Indicator, am I doing something wrong?
thnks

rtrevino
March 12th, 2021, 04:45
Nevermind. I started a fresh campaign and it works ok. there must be some extension conflicting.

thnks!

Shireling
May 29th, 2021, 10:49
Quick question... looking at the screenshots with the two outputs in the chat (blue and red), correct me if I'm wrong but if a PC decides to use bardic inspiration this allows them to roll maybe a d6 or d8 or d10 or d12 (depends on the Bard's level) and add that to the original roll. Bardic inspiration is not like regular inspiration where it allows for a re-roll. Is that correct? And if so, what is your extension supporting in the chat outputs - inspiration or bardic inspiration?

Also are you planning on expanding this extension to include the new magical inspiration optional bard class feature from Tasha's?

Minty23185Fresh
May 29th, 2021, 17:28
Quick question... Is that correct? Correct.

... what is your extension supporting in the chat outputs - inspiration or bardic inspiration? Is this a trick question? Or humor? Why else would I name the extension Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor?

Are you planning on expanding this extension to include the new magical inspiration optional bard class feature from Tasha's?No. It seems to me as though there is nothing to support. The extension explicitly prevents the disclosure of FG's adjudication of certain rolls. The healing or damage augmented by Magical Inspiration in Tasha's are not rolls adjudicated by FG.

Shireling
May 31st, 2021, 16:59
Is this a trick question? Or humor? Why else would I name the extension Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor?

Serious question because after implementing and reviewing the images you posted there are two rolls and the “red” one shows no indication of a second die being rolled (d6, d8, d10, d12) but it does show a different value for a d20 roll which doesn’t make any sense.

No. It seems to me as though there is nothing to support. The extension explicitly prevents the disclosure of FG's adjudication of certain rolls. The healing or damage augmented by Magical Inspiration in Tasha's are not rolls adjudicated by FG.

You created code for combat inspiration. I was asking to see if you were going to use similar code to automate this damage and healing as well. I thought it was a fair question.

Minty23185Fresh
May 31st, 2021, 18:08
Serious question because after implementing and reviewing the images you posted there are two rolls and the “red” one shows no indication of a second die being rolled (d6, d8, d10, d12) but it does show a different value for a d20 roll which doesn’t make any sense.

Ah. I get it now. Sorry for the slow uptake.
It appears to me as though you’re expecting the extension to do more than it actually does.

I’ll restate what the extension does: It only intercepts and prevents the display of the outcome of certain rolls in the players’ chat windows. Those rolls are typically attacks and saves, because Fantasy Grounds calculates and displays the outcomes for those dice rolls. (Attacks: hit or miss, Saves: success or failure.)

That said, the extension does not roll inspiration dice for the player!

The long-winded explanation using an example:
Without the extension: The player has a Bardic Inspiration Die available to them.The player makes an attack roll. FG calculates and displays whether or not the attack roll was successful. Because FG told the player whether or not they were successful, the player has more information available to them than the rules intended. FG essentially told the player whether or not they should use their Bardic Inspiration Die.

With the extension: Again the player has a Bardic Inspiration Die available, and makes an attack roll. FG calculates and displays the outcome to the DM only. The extension prevents the display of the result to the players. As the D&D rules intend, the player must now decide whether or not the attack die roll might be sufficiently high to be a successful hit. They must decide whether or not to expend their Bardic Inspiration Die. (The extension does not roll the inspiration die for the player.)

Minty23185Fresh
May 31st, 2021, 18:17
You created code for combat inspiration. I was asking to see if you were going to use similar code to automate this damage and healing as well. I thought it was a fair question.

Again, I believe you’re assuming the extension does more than intended.

Combat Inspiration, from the PHB:
“Also at 3rd level, you learn to inspire others in battle. A creature that has a Bardic Inspiration die from you can roll that die and add the number rolled to a weapon damage roll it just made. Alternatively, when an attack roll is made against the creature, it can use its reaction to roll the Bardic Inspiration die and add the number rolled to its AC against that attack, after seeing the roll but before knowing whether it hits or misses.”

The extension only comes into play for the “Alternatively” part of Combat Inspiration. And this is because, FG adjudicates, the hit or miss of the attack roll. The extension intercepts and prevents the display of such outcomes to the players.

The extension does not roll Bardic Inspiration Dice for the players!!!

arcanjl
June 6th, 2021, 15:20
Q: I saw you mention luck on the previous page, I would like to use your extension for the Lucky ability, would it work?
Lucky:
You have 3 luck points. Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.
You can also spend one luck point when an attack roll is made against you. Roll a d20, and then choose whether the attack uses the attacker's roll or yours. If more than one creature spends a luck point to influence the outcome of a roll, the points cancel each other out; no additional dice are rolled.

ghen
November 21st, 2021, 02:36
Hello Minty, I like to add descriptions on my Inspiration Effect. Any chance you can soften it so that notes written after a ; won't interfere?

I currently write `Bardic Inspiration; +d6 to a Chk, Sav, or Atk` for example which breaks the extension by not being an exact match.

Minty23185Fresh
February 19th, 2022, 20:20
The Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor Extension is now listed in the Forge (here (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/513/view)).

Which may be convenient for FGU users.
For FGC users, you can still get the extension in post one of this thread.

Poe the Homunculus
February 19th, 2022, 20:28
This is very cool. Could this also work for the fighter's parry, which reduces damage by 1d8-dex? It is rolled after the damage is rolled, but before applying to the character.
The problem - Bandant does 6 damage to a fighter. Fighter parries with a d8+dex mod of 2 = gets an 8. The fighter does not "Heal" 8 points, they just stop the 6, allowing for 2 points to be healed in the current set-up (using a heal ability). Could something like this be programed or modified with this?

Minty23185Fresh
February 19th, 2022, 20:51
Could this also work for the fighter's parry, which reduces damage by 1d8-dex? It is rolled after the damage is rolled, but before applying to the character.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "No", because this extension doesn't "undo" anything.

Here's why:
1) The fighter would put a special Effect "Parry" on himself.
2) The bandit would attack, hit and then deal some damage.
3) The extension would prevent FG from announcing the amount of damage. It doesn't prevent the damage, just the announcement of it.

MrDDT
February 19th, 2022, 23:40
This is very cool. Could this also work for the fighter's parry, which reduces damage by 1d8-dex? It is rolled after the damage is rolled, but before applying to the character.
The problem - Bandant does 6 damage to a fighter. Fighter parries with a d8+dex mod of 2 = gets an 8. The fighter does not "Heal" 8 points, they just stop the 6, allowing for 2 points to be healed in the current set-up (using a heal ability). Could something like this be programed or modified with this?

Side note that BCEG will do this with DMGR

Poe the Homunculus
February 21st, 2022, 18:42
Side note that BCEG will do this with DMGR

Sorry, what is BCEG?
Thank you

MrDDT
February 21st, 2022, 19:21
Sorry, what is BCEG?
Thank you

Better Combat Effects Gold

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/155/view

Sorry, I just assume everyone knows about this awesome almost must have product for FGU =P

MrDDT
February 21st, 2022, 19:22
Side note that BCE the free version also does this.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/76/view

Poe the Homunculus
February 21st, 2022, 19:47
What I was thinking would be this ext. would all stop applying the damage, which would let the player roll parry, then subtract damage before applying it to their wounds.

MrDDT
February 21st, 2022, 20:47
What I was thinking would be this ext. would all stop applying the damage, which would let the player roll parry, then subtract damage before applying it to their wounds.

What this does is much like RESIST: n all (where n is the number rolled on parry)

However, this will do the roll for you without having to edit the n number.

ebverhulst
February 26th, 2022, 17:29
I like the extension, but I was wondering... Would it be possible to write an extension that could do this for any d20 roll? That is, add an option to the "Show Results to Clients" toggle (say, "roll only") that allows players to see the roll, but not its success or failure. There's the Lucky feat, but also several different classes have abilities which assume the player knows what was rolled (and any modifiers that apply) but not whether the roll was successful when making decisions about applying those abilities.

Minty23185Fresh
February 26th, 2022, 19:31
@ebverhulst
The Luck feat is supported, I’ll look up the exact wording for the Effect. We play tested it for a while and found it to be too intrusive so I never formally supported it. The DM essentially had to announce every result. Bogged down the game.

“Cutting Words” is another great example. It too bogs down the game. A great many rolls are trapped and the results not announced because of it. What we’ve ended up doing is turning it off for many rolls, and the bard at the table turns it on during critical situations.

All that said yes I could support your suggestion. We’ll need to discuss each case you want supported. Sometimes it might be not be possible. The issue is triggers. What situation triggers the interruption of the announcement? I have to know that to effectively program your request.

Please read the complete contents of this thread, every post. I know there have been at least two examples of other users making requests a bit like yours. I know one was not possible to effect. I can’t remember the issue with the other(s).

Also please look at the choices available in the Options Manager. Play with a few of them. Specifically the one having to do with showing DM rolls and results. I realize these affect NPC rolls but they may give you a flavor of how it changes the flow of the game. And whether or not you care to proceed.

ebverhulst
February 27th, 2022, 01:03
@ebverhulst
The Luck feat is supported, I’ll look up the exact wording for the Effect. We play tested it for a while and found it to be too intrusive so I never formally supported it. The DM essentially had to announce every result. Bogged down the game.

“Cutting Words” is another great example. It too bogs down the game. A great many rolls are trapped and the results not announced because of it. What we’ve ended up doing is turning it off for many rolls, and the bard at the table turns it on during critical situations.

All that said yes I could support your suggestion. We’ll need to discuss each case you want supported. Sometimes it might be not be possible. The issue is triggers. What situation triggers the interruption of the announcement? I have to know that to effectively program your request.

Please read the complete contents of this thread, every post. I know there have been at least two examples of other users making requests a bit like yours. I know one was not possible to effect. I can’t remember the issue with the other(s).

Also please look at the choices available in the Options Manager. Play with a few of them. Specifically the one having to do with showing DM rolls and results. I realize these affect NPC rolls but they may give you a flavor of how it changes the flow of the game. And whether or not you care to proceed.

I did read through the thread - helpful. And I think I'm pretty clear on what this extension allows. What I had in mind was a broad-based approach rather than specific situations, by adding an option in the Options Manager. Right now, the options manager provides 3 choices for "show results to client" - on, off, and friendly. Could a 4th option be added - call it "roll only" - in which the friendly d20 roll would be shown in the chat, but not success or failure, for any d20 roll made by a player. Yes, the DM would have to say "you hit" or "you saved" etc., but in the games I play, we've always had a voice channel going and half the time people aren't paying close attention to the chat in FGU anyway. That's rather a different approach, I think, then this extension, but I'm not much for programming - haven't done much of it since taking advanced basic in high school a little over 40 years ago.

Anyway, thanks for the response and the extension. And thanks in advance for whatever other bennies you throw our way. :-)

Minty23185Fresh
March 29th, 2022, 20:03
@ebverhulst

Another thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?73152-Yet-Another-Thread-About-Bardic-Inspiration-(and-Lucky-and-)) that I saw reminded me that I needed to address the Lucky Feat.

The exact verbiage of the effect is “Lucky Feat”. It is enacted exactly like the other three specialized effects mentioned earlier in this thread.

Minty23185Fresh
March 30th, 2022, 16:35
The thread mentioned in the prior post (plus a few PMs with its author) has inspired me to review some of the functionality of this extension.
1) ebverhulst’s request to intercept the announcement of results for every roll
2) I think this extension does a pretty good job at handling saves, but I recall there being some coding issues that I might want to address that would make it better
3) possibly support the “portent” spell

Some of these non “Bardic Inspiration” items (Lucky Feat, Portent spell) make me wonder if the extension needs to be renamed.

I’m not promising anything, just that I’ll look into these issues. Right now I have other issues I’m addressing in my other extensions, so it will be a while.

And much thanks to those who use this extension and others extensions that I author.

EllivasKram
May 8th, 2022, 12:43
Minty23185Fresh Can you reach out to McCartysr. To have your bardic inspiration integrate with Requested Rolls ?

I don't know. I can't find a copy of their code, and their extension installs to the vault, so I can't look for where things could be hashed out. Sorry, I couldn't be more help.

nephranka
May 8th, 2022, 16:51
Minty23185Fresh Can you reach out to McCartysr. To have your bardic inspiration integrate with Requested Rolls ?

Thank you for making the request. @Minty23185Fresh, a little background: I was asking the other developer if they could get the request for a save to work with your ext and they would be up for the task but need to see the code to determine what can be done. Anything you can do to assist is greatly appreciated.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70407-5E-Requested-Rolls/page35

Minty23185Fresh
May 12th, 2022, 04:45
mccartysr, author of Requested Rolls extension has asked that I make some changes to Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor (BIDI) to handle collateral or incidental damage saves (when a PC casts, say, a fireball spell and one of the other party members, that has Bardic Inspiration, is caught in the area of effect of the spell).

When I first started developing BIDI I remember thinking about the collateral damage issue, and specifically decided not to support it. And here's why:

The Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor extension does a relatively horrible job at handling area of effect spells.

The problem is, BIDI gives away too much information to the players for area of effect spells.

Here is a screen shot to illustrate the point. Depicted in the screen shot is the Chat Window and the Combat Tracker in one of the player instances' of Fantasy Grounds. What's happened is the Mage NPC has cast a fireball spell at the four party members.
Ilikan has Bardic Inspiration and BIDI, properly traps the announcement of the outcome of Ilikan's saving throw. But look at how much other information is reported. A quick look informs the player that they needn't expend the Inspiration Die. Moon Elf rolled a 14 and successfully saved. Ilikan's 18 is obviously successful.

I've known about this issue since the extension's inception two years ago. This is the first time its come up and the issue that mccartysr reported was not really the poor handling of area of effect spell saves itself but that incidental damage scenarios weren't being handled. I.e, an area of effect spell cast by a fellow PC was not handled properly, the same as an area of effect spell cast by a NPC.

So, why not fix the overriding issue? Well it doesn't really seem to be an issue: the extension has been out there for almost two years and no one has complained. Additionally, to remedy the problem, outcome interception would have to occur much further upstream in the code execution. BIDI is simple, and doesn't mess with the ruleset's code very much. Placing the interception point so much earlier in the execution stream may cause me more headaches than I'm willing to deal with.

so, what about mccartysr's request. Yep, I'll fix it.

[EDIT] Released a fix on May 15, 2022. Simple changes. Not thoroughly play tested.

nephranka
May 12th, 2022, 10:39
mccartysr, author of Requested Rolls extension has asked that I make some changes to Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor (BIDI) to handle collateral or incidental damage saves (when a PC casts, say, a fireball spell and one of the other party members, that has Bardic Inspiration, is caught in the area of effect of the spell).

When I first started developing BIDI I remember thinking about the collateral damage issue, and specifically decided not to support it. And here's why:

The Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor extension does a relatively horrible job at handling area of effect spells.

The problem is, BIDI gives away too much information to the players for area of effect spells.

Here is a screen shot to illustrate the point. Depicted in the screen shot is the Chat Window and the Combat Tracker in one of the player instances' of Fantasy Grounds. What's happened is the Mage NPC has cast a fireball spell at the four party members.
Ilikan has Bardic Inspiration and BIDI, properly traps the announcement of the outcome of Ilikan's saving throw. But look at how much other information is reported. A quick look informs the player that they needn't expend the Inspiration Die. Moon Elf rolled a 14 and successfully saved. Ilikan's 18 is obviously successful.

I've known about this issue since the extension's inception two years ago. This is the first time its come up and the issue that mccartysr reported was not really the poor handling of area of effect spell saves itself but that incidental damage scenarios weren't being handled. I.e, an area of effect spell cast by a fellow PC was not handled properly, the same as an area of effect spell cast by a NPC.

So, why not fix the overriding issue? Well it doesn't really seem to be an issue: the extension has been out there for almost two years and no one has complained. Additionally, to remedy the problem, outcome interception would have to occur much further upstream in the code execution. BIDI is simple, and doesn't mess with the ruleset's code very much. Placing the interception point so much earlier in the execution stream may cause me more headaches than I'm willing to deal with.

so, what about mccartysr's request. Yep, I'll fix it. It will be a while. I have too many personal issues on my plate for the next month or so.

Thank you for taking a look and explaining your reasoning. I hope all works out for you as well.

stalkulikeahawk
June 29th, 2022, 00:03
exactly how does one who is Brand new to the platform download this extension?
lol

jrowsey1
June 29th, 2022, 06:32
See the first post for the link to the Forge ( the SmiteWorks digital market place). Click the Subscribe button on the page. Launch Fantasy Grounds. Click the Check for Updates button. After the update is done load or create a campaign and on the right hand side there is window to load extensions. Be sure you select the extension you want to load to the campaign, and then launch the campaign. After you select the extensions you want loaded you won’t have to select them again, unless you want to remove the extensions.

Minty23185Fresh
June 29th, 2022, 16:59
Thanks jrowsey1, nicely done!

nephranka
July 5th, 2022, 00:58
Just passing along a conflict I found. When this is loaded with Better Combat Effects Gold it throws an error when I am using some of the automatic saving code from BCEG. The error is:
[7/4/2022 7:55:18 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/BID_manager_actions.lua"]:360: attempt to index local 'rTarget' (a nil value)

rhagelstrom
July 5th, 2022, 01:09
Just passing along a conflict I found. When this is loaded with Better Combat Effects Gold it throws an error when I am using some of the automatic saving code from BCEG. The error is:
[7/4/2022 7:55:18 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/BID_manager_actions.lua"]:360: attempt to index local 'rTarget' (a nil value)

Did that just start happening?

nephranka
July 5th, 2022, 01:13

Around the same time as the Medusa issue, so maybe?

Edit: So maybe it is a change in BCEG changes and not BID. So we will see what Rhagelstrom finds.

nephranka
July 9th, 2022, 15:56

Thank you for the fix. These two are playing nice together again!

wframe
July 29th, 2022, 04:33
I know this may be way out there, but could this extension also handle something like Emboldening Bond, from the Peace Cleric? It works almost exactly the same way mechanically, except that the character can use it once per turn, rather than once and done. You are supposed to see the die roll before you decide and I don't know of another extension that intercepts the roll like this.

Minty23185Fresh
July 29th, 2022, 16:15
I know this may be way out there, but could this extension also handle something like Emboldening Bond, from the Peace Cleric? It works almost exactly the same way mechanically, except that the character can use it once per turn, rather than once and done. You are supposed to see the die roll before you decide and I don't know of another extension that intercepts the roll like this.
I just read the text of Emboldening Bond in Tasha, and I didn't see the stipulation, as you mention, that one must decide before seeing the d20 roll. Maybe your group plays with that caveat. Which is neither here nor there in practice. I believe just using the "Bardic Inspiration" mechanic provided by this extension will get the job done for you. (See instructions for use in post #2 of this thread.)

wframe
July 29th, 2022, 16:19
I just read the text of Emboldening Bond in Tasha, and I didn't see the stipulation, as you mention, that one must decide before seeing the d20 roll. Maybe your group plays with that caveat. Which is neither here nor there in practice. I believe just using the "Bardic Inspiration" mechanic provided by this extension will get the job done for you. (See instructions for use in post #2 of this thread.)

I may have worded it poorly. The player gets to decide after seeing the roll TOTAL, which is similar to Bardic Inspiration. I'm not 100% sure how this extension works. Can I simply change the roll dice to a 1d4 in the effect? This extension seemed specific to Bardic Inspiration, so I wasn't sure if it would work, but that would be awesome.

Edit: Doh! Reading everything thoroughly, it looks like there are no dice rolls involved. So it's all manual and the only caveat is that it would say "Bardic Inspiration". Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought this would intercept the roll and give them a chance to add a dice. I think I can accomplish what I want with the user simply not targeting then adding a modifier and dragging the total to the target. Thanks for your help.

Taralas
September 7th, 2022, 15:25
Quick question: for those of us using Hero Points, is there any way to add an additional conditional for an effect called "Hero Points" so that the party can be reminded that they may want to use a point before the result has been revealed?

rhagelstrom
September 27th, 2022, 15:04
Popped up in my game a few times. I haven't dug into it but it seems to happen with AoE sort of spells where someone saves success or on a concentration check

9/26/2022 6:55:43 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/BID_manager_actions.lua"]:360: attempt to index local 'rTarget' (a nil value)

nephranka
October 3rd, 2022, 00:46
Popped up in my game a few times. I haven't dug into it but it seems to happen with AoE sort of spells where someone saves success or on a concentration check

9/26/2022 6:55:43 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/BID_manager_actions.lua"]:360: attempt to index local 'rTarget' (a nil value)

Happens to me for NPC concentration checks.

Minty23185Fresh
November 19th, 2022, 14:48

Happens to me for NPC concentration checks.

Thank you rhagelstrom for reporting the error and nephranka for following us with additional information.

I am attempting to return to FG and D&D after a lengthy forced hiatus. I am currently looking into this issue.

Thank you everyone for your patience with me.

Minty23185Fresh
November 20th, 2022, 13:07
@ rhagelstrom and nephranka, I have been unable to reproduce the error.

I've tried various options, e.g. a Mage with the Moonbeam spell cast on a couple heros, one of which has Bardic Inspiration. When it becomes the Barbarian's turn (the hero with Bardic Inspiration), and he is within the Moonbeam's area of effect, he makes a saving throw and the extension handles that just fine without error. He then successfully attacks the Mage and his damage forces the Mage to make a concentration cjeck. Irregardless of whether the Mage successfully saves of fails the check, no error is produced by the extension.

If possible please provide more details of the setup and sequence of events that caused the error to be thrown: PC character classes, effects in play, the particular spell being used, who's affected, who has Bardic Inspiration, what and who forced the concentration check, that sort of thing. Essentially I need the steps or events involved that led to the errror. Are other extensions loaded? If I can't repeat it on my end, I can't fix it.

rhagelstrom
November 21st, 2022, 00:05
I was able to reproduce this with an NPC concentration check.

Reproduce. Have a spell caster NPC cast bane and put the conc effect on the NPC
Roll damage with the PC that has Bardic Inspiration on it, and the error will show up.

Was able to reproduce when rolling the PC damage from a client as well as from a host.

nephranka
November 21st, 2022, 01:08

Roll damage with the PC that has Bardic Inspiration on it, and the error will show up.

Was able to reproduce when rolling the PC damage from a client as well as from a host.

Beat me to it!

Minty23185Fresh
November 22nd, 2022, 15:08
Quick question: for those of us using Hero Points, is there any way to add an additional conditional for an effect called "Hero Points" so that the party can be reminded that they may want to use a point before the result has been revealed?

Possibly. But given the wording of your request I'm inclined to say that I probably won't. Here's why.
I typically write my extensions to assist the DM, not the player. DMs have a lot on their plate. Something that makes their job easier to help keep the game moving along is worth pursuing in my mind. Providing sticky notes for players isn't something I don't want to get into. Sorry, It's a philosophy thing.

Plus, this sounds like a Hero Points issue.

Minty23185Fresh
November 22nd, 2022, 15:53

I'm still am not getting the error. I believe I've followed your instructions correctly. Screenshot provided.
(Are you using version v0.0.9 of the extension?)

nephranka
November 22nd, 2022, 16:22
I'm still am not getting the error. I believe I've followed your instructions correctly. Screenshot provided.

Here is the error. It comes after the damage roll.
[11/22/2022 11:15:00 AM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "M23185F_BIDI:..ipts/BID_manager_actions.lua"]:360: attempt to index local 'rTarget' (a nil value)

I have v0.0.9. I hope this helps.

Minty23185Fresh
November 23rd, 2022, 19:02
@ nephranka

I have mocked up your setup to the best of my abilities, using the information provided by your screenshot.
And.. I still do not get the error. Aargh.

Here is my screenshot of my attempt at duplicating what you've done.
To on the left side of the image is a copy of the chat window from the screenshot you provided. The rest of the image is portion of my attempt.

I duplicated your Combat Tracker as well as I could. NPCs, targeting, Effects in play and two PC's, Zander, a Bard, and Jinzik, a Warlock (I had to guess, based on Eldritch Blast). I then duplicated the sequence of events as displayed in your Chat. But no error was thrown.

There are some Effects that I had trouble with:

Mirror Image - appears to be a custom Effect, but probably just a reminder placeholder, though the subscripting confused me (the Aarakocra has 2, Zander has 1)
RCHG - looks like an Advanced Effect (Celestian's fine extension).
RETURNDMG - also a place holder? or another Advanced Effect?
ADVSAVTYPE - ditto?
Spell: (C) - now this one is pretty slick, it just puts the Dragon into Concentration mode (I need to remember this!)

Now another screenshot, an excerpt of FG's console from your screenshot:
Note that I've marked your Campaign name and a module that I don't have.

Here are a few things I'd like you to try, after you perform one of the steps, please inflict damage on the dragon to see if that's the reason for the thrown error.

Because your campaign is called Test2, I'm assuming you created it just to provide information to me. If not, if it has been around for a while, please delete it's subfolder in the Cashe folder, or just create a new campaign for this next iteration of trying to nail down this error.
Unload the "World - GM" module
Use a real concentration spell from the Player's Handbook, instead of "Spell: (C)", you suggested Bane
Get rid of all Effects on all actors, except for Bardic Inspiration and the concentration Effect (Bane). Maybe eliminate one Effect at a time, applying damage to the dragon, between each deleted Effect.

I'm grabbing at straws here. I have no ideas as to why I can't duplicate the error.

Some things we might try in the future are: providing me with copies of the characters and maybe a special version of BIDI with all sorts of "Debug.console"s in it.

Thanks for your help.

rhagelstrom
November 23rd, 2022, 21:33

I think the key here is the (C) effect needs to be self applied to the target getting hit. Maybe Bane was a bad example, Say the Target has fly on itself

Minty23185Fresh
November 23rd, 2022, 21:56
And Mage 2 also has Bardic Inspiration?

rhagelstrom
November 23rd, 2022, 21:59
I tried it with and without. It doesn't seem to matter if either have the BI effect.

rhagelstrom
November 23rd, 2022, 22:03
Here is the call stack

nephranka
November 24th, 2022, 00:45
@ nephranka

I have mocked up your setup to the best of my abilities, using the information provided by your screenshot.
And.. I still do not get the error. Aargh.

Here is my screenshot of my attempt at duplicating what you've done.
To on the left side of the image is a copy of the chat window from the screenshot you provided. The rest of the image is portion of my attempt.

I duplicated your Combat Tracker as well as I could. NPCs, targeting, Effects in play and two PC's, Zander, a Bard, and Jinzik, a Warlock (I had to guess, based on Eldritch Blast). I then duplicated the sequence of events as displayed in your Chat. But no error was thrown.

There are some Effects that I had trouble with:

Mirror Image - appears to be a custom Effect, but probably just a reminder placeholder, though the subscripting confused me (the Aarakocra has 2, Zander has 1)
RCHG - looks like an Advanced Effect (Celestian's fine extension).
RETURNDMG - also a place holder? or another Advanced Effect?
ADVSAVTYPE - ditto?
Spell: (C) - now this one is pretty slick, it just puts the Dragon into Concentration mode (I need to remember this!)

Now another screenshot, an excerpt of FG's console from your screenshot:
Note that I've marked your Campaign name and a module that I don't have.

Here are a few things I'd like you to try, after you perform one of the steps, please inflict damage on the dragon to see if that's the reason for the thrown error.

Because your campaign is called Test2, I'm assuming you created it just to provide information to me. If not, if it has been around for a while, please delete it's subfolder in the Cashe folder, or just create a new campaign for this next iteration of trying to nail down this error.
Unload the "World - GM" module
Use a real concentration spell from the Player's Handbook, instead of "Spell: (C)", you suggested Bane
Get rid of all Effects on all actors, except for Bardic Inspiration and the concentration Effect (Bane). Maybe eliminate one Effect at a time, applying damage to the dragon, between each deleted Effect.

I'm grabbing at straws here. I have no ideas as to why I can't duplicate the error.

Some things we might try in the future are: providing me with copies of the characters and maybe a special version of BIDI with all sorts of "Debug.console"s in it.

Thanks for your help.

No worries. I see that my test campaign may have given you reason to pause but really none of those things are the issue. I created a new campaign and used an archmage with fly and recreated a the error. Here is the screen and the campaign if that helps. Note, I gave the PC the fly spell but never used it. I had the NPC cast fly on itself.

Minty23185Fresh
November 24th, 2022, 14:12
No worries. I see that my test campaign may have given you reason to pause but really none of those things are the issue. I created a new campaign and used an archmage with fly and recreated a the error. Here is the screen and the campaign if that helps. Note, I gave the PC the fly spell but never used it. I had the NPC cast fly on itself.
Finally! An error. I have something to work with. Thanks nephranka for the test campaign.

nephranka
November 24th, 2022, 15:44
Finally! An error. I have something to work with. Thanks nephranka for the test campaign.

No worries.

Minty23185Fresh
November 25th, 2022, 15:09
@nephranka did the following ever get resolved for you?

Thank you for making the request. @Minty23185Fresh, a little background: I was asking the other developer if they could get the request for a save to work with your ext and they would be up for the task but need to see the code to determine what can be done. Anything you can do to assist is greatly appreciated.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70407-5E-Requested-Rolls/page35

nephranka
November 25th, 2022, 15:35
@nephranka did the following ever get resolved for you?

Yep. I think it is all resolved now. Thanks for following up!

MrDDT
November 25th, 2022, 17:20
Wow awesome thank you so much.

Minty23185Fresh
November 27th, 2022, 13:13
A new version, v0.0.10, of the Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor (BIDI) has been posted to the Forge.

This release fixes the problem first reported by nephranka in July: an error was thrown when the rTarget argument contained a nil value.
It also relaxes the requirement that the Bardic Inspiration Effects have a very precise syntax; additional commenting is now allowed.

Release note details: for those that might care and for my own edification.

1) On July 4, 2022 nephranka (post #52) related that an error was being reported in the console for a nil value in the rTarget argument, of one of BIDI's internal functions. Later, on September 27, rhagelstrom (post #60) confirmed the error. Since then, (posts #60 through #76) they have been instrumental in helping me nail down the cause of the error and then resolve it.
As it turns out the error is only thrown when an NPC has to make a concentration check for a spell that it cast on itself. For some reason the rTarget argument passed into messageResult( ) by the ruleset is nil. And oddly enough, the error is thrown by a section of code that is performing checks for the presence of the Lucky Feat Effect. This error was introduced by me in the changes I made for version v0.0.9.

2) A year ago ghen (post #30) asked me to "soften" the Bardic Inspiration Die Effect required syntax. At the time I tabled the request, with intentions of addressing it later. I've since realized its true merit and have effected it in this release. Now, one can add notes or comments to the Effect Name. The exact name of the BIDI Effect is still required. For an example of what one might do see ghen's post. Personally, I would use a colon rather than a semi-colon since that's the typical syntax Smithworks uses, e.g., "Combat Inspiration: d8, NPC 60ft, atk, chk, dmg". Note that these are only additional notes or comments and they are completely ignored by BIDI. They do not induce any additional BIDI functionality.

MrDDT
November 27th, 2022, 18:58
Wow thanks, going to check it out.

ghen
November 28th, 2022, 15:57
Great update, thanks :)

nephranka
November 29th, 2022, 11:29
A new version, v0.0.10, of the Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor (BIDI) has been posted to the Forge.

This release fixes the problem first reported by nephranka in July: an error was thrown when the rTarget argument contained a nil value.
It also relaxes the requirement that the Bardic Inspiration Effects have a very precise syntax; additional commenting is now allowed.

Release note details: for those that might care and for my own edification.

1) On July 4, 2022 nephranka (post #52) related that an error was being reported in the console for a nil value in the rTarget argument, of one of BIDI's internal functions. Later, on September 27, rhagelstrom (post #60) confirmed the error. Since then, (posts #60 through #76) they have been instrumental in helping me nail down the cause of the error and then resolve it.
As it turns out the error is only thrown when an NPC has to make a concentration check for a spell that it cast on itself. For some reason the rTarget argument passed into messageResult( ) by the ruleset is nil. And oddly enough, the error is thrown by a section of code that is performing checks for the presence of the Lucky Feat Effect. This error was introduced by me in the changes I made for version v0.0.9.

2) A year ago ghen (post #30) asked me to "soften" the Bardic Inspiration Die Effect required syntax. At the time I tabled the request, with intentions of addressing it later. I've since realized its true merit and have effected it in this release. Now, one can add notes or comments to the Effect Name. The exact name of the BIDI Effect is still required. For an example of what one might do see ghen's post. Personally, I would use a colon rather than a semi-colon since that's the typical syntax Smithworks uses, e.g., "Combat Inspiration: d8, NPC 60ft, atk, chk, dmg". Note that these are only additional notes or comments and they are completely ignored by BIDI. They do not induce any additional BIDI functionality.

Thank you. The fix is working in my tests.