PDA

View Full Version : Languages

TheFabulousIronChef
September 20th, 2020, 15:43
Is there support for languages? I know that there is an ability to add languages as an option, but I cannot see to figure out how to enable characters to understand those languages. Every time I try sending a message in Common, it says [understood by: ]. Of course, this is in a test environment. Do I need players to be logged into a session?

esmdev
September 20th, 2020, 19:25
Is there support for languages? I know that there is an ability to add languages as an option, but I cannot see to figure out how to enable characters to understand those languages. Every time I try sending a message in Common, it says [understood by: ]. Of course, this is in a test environment. Do I need players to be logged into a session?

Hi. You can add languages in options.

Additionally, understood by lists online player characters who have the language (spelled and cased exactly as you have the languages in options).

Marquis_de_Taigeis
September 20th, 2020, 19:57
Understood by only shows names for players who are logged in, if testing these items its best to run a second instance of FG connecting to local host (normally 127.0.0.1) and if you use a test PC with the language added correctly to the relevant Gurps character tab then it should show up as a dropdown for the PC in the chat language selection dropdown. and when you message it will show the PC as understanding or not understanding as may be the case of what language you test with

TheFabulousIronChef
September 20th, 2020, 22:09
Got it, testing it with another computer right now; it works. Thanks.

TheFabulousIronChef
September 20th, 2020, 22:09
Also, I cannot seem to run a second instance of FG on a Mac...or I just don't know how. :)

Fezzik Buttercup
September 24th, 2020, 16:13
I can't seem to get the language ext to work for me (although I could add them to the language in the options if and when I ever get to it). I'm still working on the free Unity version, so maybe that has something to do with it? Once I get a little more content to play around with I'll get a 3 month sub until Steam has it on sale so I can buy it outright (assuming I can get some of my old group back :) ).

I can't seem to get the language ext to appear on my list; but at least now I know how to add them manually.

Gigermann
September 25th, 2020, 00:48
If you are using an existing language ext, check the XML to make sure GURPS is listed as a valid ruleset for it. If it isn't, add it.

Fezzik Buttercup
September 25th, 2020, 04:25
I'm using the one listed on the sticky page that has the gurps core and other bits on it.

Gigermann
September 25th, 2020, 15:09
I'm using the one listed on the sticky page that has the gurps core and other bits on it.

This one?

The Language Extension is found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26775-Expanded-Fantasy-Language-Fonts-(FG-v3-1-3-) It explains (in post #2) how to add your own languages (and available language fonts) into an extension.

damned is correct - this extension doesn't have the GURPs ruleset tag - you can add this into the extension pretty easily.

Regarding language extensions - the information in the extension (language name and font mapping) is only read when the campaign is first created. So you have to remember to include the extension when you first create the campaign. If you add the extension after the campaign has been created, then you won't see the language names added to the language list, but you will have the new fonts available so you can manually create what you need).

A work around, is mentioned in the first post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26775-Expanded-Fantasy-Language-Fonts-(FG-v3-1-3-)

Fezzik Buttercup
September 25th, 2020, 16:15
The one I have is called GURPS_4E_Languages.ext. I looked at the core, but I don't see it there, so I guess I was mistaken. I'm not sure where I got it from but it was on the forums somewhere :D. I'll take a peek at that one; thanks Gingermann.

The one that I have been trying was "Speak in different fonts. Ported to GURPS by saithan..." (based on original by Tenian)

Also, are there supposed to be 'base' languages in the basic FGU chatbox GUI? If there are, then I'm having completely different issues :)

Fezzik Buttercup
September 25th, 2020, 22:29
After some tweaking (major overhaul, removing/replace the transmission, radiator and AC units); I 'fixed' Fantasy languages (the base version). I downloaded MOST of the fonts (some I just fudged a bit, but I have about 15-20 in the font files. Did all the TTF's so they work in FGU.

I'll go to the GURPS Fantasy book and look at the races there and change the weird names (probably from 5E or other editions of dnd) to Fantasy Folk names.

I'll post it once I get it down from 9.54 MB... which also seems to be the max size for an .ext; aren't I lucky :/

Fezzik Buttercup
September 27th, 2020, 02:12
Here are fonts for the majority of races listed in Banestorm; they include most of the normal races in most worlds as well as the human tongues. English (earth), Latin and Aralaise can be read by a clever player -- it's just a really hard to read english font

Tell me if anything looks out of place or shouldn't be or is violating any interstellar law!

|
V
better version next post

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 1st, 2020, 12:16
Giggermann, I made changes to your extension that adds new fonts and languages.
"Organized"
"I added a logo"
"I changed the announcement"
The extensions work, both in FGC and FGU.

Fezzik Buttercup
October 1st, 2020, 14:34
And here I thought I might putter with the fonts a bit more :) I wouldn't have thought about adding that stuff; and I have no idea. I'm still trying to figure out why adding/deleting the "common" line wrecked the whole thing for me when I played with it.