PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Sheets

mcgarnagle
May 4th, 2007, 04:04
https://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2753/magicitem1oy7.jpghttps://img387.imageshack.us/img387/457/magicitem2tx5.jpg

I have a question about the magic item sheets. As I've only ever GM'd and never acted as a player in FG2, I'm not sure what the players get to see when I share the sheet with them. When I originally share the sheet, what parts do the players have access to? Can they see the description on picture one that you would write above the aura? Do they see the Aura, caster level, etc on page one? On page two, I'm pretty sure they only see the 'at a glance' part and see the 'when identified' when the box is checked off.

Goblin-King
May 4th, 2007, 08:08
The players only see one page with no tabs. It contains the title, and either the text in the "At a glance" field or the text in the "When identified" field, depending on the check box setting.

Callum
May 4th, 2007, 09:43
Thanks for that reply - I'd been wondering about this, too! But now I'm wondering what can be done with the sheets - how can you "give" them to your players, and how can they store them? They aren't draggable onto the inventory, as far as I can tell...

sunbeam60
May 4th, 2007, 11:30
Thanks for that reply - I'd been wondering about this, too! But now I'm wondering what can be done with the sheets - how can you "give" them to your players, and how can they store them? They aren't draggable onto the inventory, as far as I can tell...
Right click and share them. The players will see the sheet on their screen, and presumably can copy-paste, or copy by typing, the title of the item onto their inventory.

As I've already talked about (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6147) I'd love for the inventory system to be expanded to allow drag'n'drop of items. I don't mind doing it myself, but I'd rather not run with a custom ruleset and as long as I can't supply modules that override, or add, window classes, all you can do is supply a little text for an item.

Ideally, the inventory system should be expanded to include a long list of mundane and magical items that could be dragged into the inventory sheet. If they state a price and the character sheet holds a currency string that resembles the price, the character sheet could even subtract the price of your character's money.

Alas, doing such a thing, while technically feasible, is moving down the route of a custom ruleset, with all the hassle this introduces (we have to keep our custom rulesets up to date whenever new versions of the d20 ruleset is introduced). I've just decided to stay off modifications until I can at least introduce new window classes in a module. With that ability, we could display our data the way we want and still allow some exchange with the rest of the windows by using createBaseData on any drag data we would provide. Additionally being able to override window classes would allow much more custom functionality (like the GM setting a gold limit when the players arrive to a town, which automatically filters the inventory list, or dragging items onto sheets and automatically paying etc.)

steev42
May 4th, 2007, 15:13
I would second the request for the inventory system to enable drag and drop from item sheets. That would be incredibly useful.

I'd also like to see a space for charges remaining for the item. Preferably with a checkcircle like the "when identified" section, and a space on the inventory sheet to contain it as well.

I also thing the aura section should be in the 'shared' side of things, as it's easily determined with a bit of spellcraft and detect magic.

mcgarnagle
May 5th, 2007, 16:17
It would be nice if the title of the item could also be toggled. This way, the players wouldn't know what the item is untill they identified it. I suppose you could just put "sword" in the title (for example), but that would make it difficult for a GM with lots of sword items to scroll through his items and find the right sword he wants to review.

Griogre
May 5th, 2007, 18:56
This is probably a feature I won't use much as designed just because if I use it the item *must* be special unless I want to put everything in serperatly. I have been thinking I could could put each room's treasure in them so the at a glance would say something like coins, longsword, scroll case, vial and the identified would say 60 pp, 2,000 gp, 5,000 sp; MW Longsword; Arcane Scroll - Fireball, Slow; Potion Cure Serious Wounds.

Sir Bayard
May 5th, 2007, 18:59
You could call is "Treaure # 1" Mcgarnagle.. or.. "Super awesome sword for Sir Bayard's character in my campaign"

Okay, perhaps I shouldn't have posted that, so maybe I should make a worthwhile addition to this thread.

To expand on what McGarnagle said, I agree it'd be difficult to sort through. I wouldn't want to name the item "Vorpal Longsword" or something, because then the player would know if I shared it. Anyway the item "name" could be masked to the player tot he At a glance, unless the "when id'd": field is checked then the player sees the real name? This way GM's can sort it by the rela name and not worry about player's seeing it unless they have ID'd it.

mcgarnagle
May 5th, 2007, 19:01
This is probably a feature I won't use much as designed just because if I use it the item *must* be special unless I want to put everything in serperatly. I have been thinking I could could put each room's treasure in them so the at a glance would say something like coins, longsword, scroll case, vial and the identified would say 60 pp, 2,000 gp, 5,000 sp; MW Longsword; Arcane Scroll - Fireball, Slow; Potion Cure Serious Wounds.

I agree with you in that if the feature is used, it will obviously be a special item unless *every* item is entered, mundane or magical. They way I will be using it is that I'll only share these sheets until the item is known as being magical. This way I don't need to put every mundane item into the item list and I can still use the nifty little feature of the magic item sheets.

I like your idea of using the items as treasure lists, though. I might have to start doing that as well.

You could call is "Treaure # 1" Mcgarnagle.. or.. "Super awesome sword for Sir Bayard's character in my campaign"

heh heh. You forgot that it's a "Super Awesome Sword for Sir Bayard's character in my campaign +2"

Sir Bayard
May 5th, 2007, 19:16
heh heh. You forgot that it's a "Super Awesome Sword for Sir Bayard's character in my campaign +2"

All I can say is: Woot! If only it were true. lol

DNH
August 7th, 2007, 23:27
hmm. i have just started messing about with some things in FG2, actually *using* the thing i mean, after having played with making an AD&D ruleset. one of the things i would really like to be able to do is create an item, as per the current system, then "give" it to a character. that character would then have the item attached to his or her character sheet in some way (ideally in the inventory page).

the current "at-a-glance"/"identified" thing is good as it is. the character would then have either a "bronze ring" or a "ring of sustenance" and all the information that entails included in the character sheet.

thing is, i don't believe this is possible as things stand - please tell me i am wrong - only, i really don't see the point in having this 'items' functionality if this *isn't* possible.

(sorry, i don't think i have put this forward very clearly!)

Moon Wizard
August 8th, 2007, 23:31
I'm thinking that you could definitely do this, but it would require a lot of ruleset customization.

You can already see something like this working with spells in the d20 ruleset.

JPG

zifnab69_fr
September 6th, 2007, 21:11
it'll be great to have a picture linked to the item.....
(and for the personalities to)

DNH
January 22nd, 2008, 11:00
*shameless bump*

Has anyone done anything like suggested in these posts? Ideally, I would like for players to be able to drag and drop from the shared magic item sheet to their inventory page.

On a related issue, I would like for the "at a glance" and "identified" fields on the magic item sheets to be populated by entries in the magic items module db.xml. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks.

Oberoten
January 22nd, 2008, 11:38
The Savage Worlds ruleset contains something similar. Sadly though it is copyrighted code.

joshuha
January 22nd, 2008, 14:21
This type of thing is planned for the d20 ruleset. The inventory list would support a link where a magic item could be placed to open the record the GM created.

DNH
January 23rd, 2008, 17:00
Yes, I have been working away on this while I should probably have been doing something else. Here is what I have, in case anyone wants to either use it themselves, modify it to his or her own ruleset (go ahead), or - better still - offer any suggestions for improvement. I doubt this is the most elegant or efficient bit of coding, it's also a bit of a hack, but it does work (with one small gripe; more later).

First off, I created a frame in the inventory page (charsheet_inventory.xml or whatever your own file is called) and put a title on it. Watch out with the bounds or anchoring; these will necessarily be different for your own character sheet.

<!-- Magic items -->
<genericcontrol name="magicitemsframe">
<bounds>15,390,240,158</bounds>
<frame>
<name>sheetgroup</name>
</frame>
</genericcontrol>

<stringcontrol>
<anchored>
<to>magicitemsframe</to>
<position>insidetop</position>
<offset>0,11</offset>
</anchored>
<center />
<font>sheetlabel</font>
<static>Magic Items</static>
</stringcontrol>

Next, I created a windowlist for any dropped items.

<windowlist name="magicitemlist">
<anchored>
<to>magicitemsframe</to>
<position>over</position>
<offset>-8,-24</offset>
</anchored>
<datasource>.magicitemlist</datasource>
<class>magicitemlistitem</class>
<allowdelete />
<acceptdrop>
<class>item</class>
<field>name</field>
<field>description</field>
</acceptdrop>
<columns>
<filldown />
<width>110</width>
</columns>
<script>
function onSortCompare(w1, w2)
if w1.name.getValue() == "" then
return true;
elseif w2.name.getValue() == "" then
return false;
end

return w1.name.getValue() &gt; w2.name.getValue();
end
</script>
</windowlist>

Then I defined the appropriate classes (first, the clumsily-named "magicitemlistitem"):

<windowclass name="magicitemlistitem">
<sizelimits>
<minimum>
<height>18</height>
</minimum>
</sizelimits>
<sheetdata>
<windowreferencecontrol name="shortcut">
<anchored>
<left>
<anchor>left</anchor>
<offset>0</offset>
</left>
<top>
<anchor>top</anchor>
</top>
<size>
<width>20</width>
<height>20</height>
</size>
</anchored>
<icon>
<normal>button_openwindow</normal>
<empty>button_emptytarget</empty>
<pressed>button_emptytarget</pressed>
</icon>
<class>pcmagicitem</class>
<datasource>.magicitemlistitem</datasource>
</windowreferencecontrol>

<stringfield name="name">
<anchored>
<left>
<anchor>shortcut</anchor>
<offset>0</offset>
</left>
<top>
<anchor>top</anchor>
<offset>5</offset>
</top>
<size>
<width>130</width>
</size>
</anchored>
<font>sheetlabelsmall</font>
</stringfield>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

and then the important one, "pcmagicitem". I defined this last one along with the "item" windowclass, in the adventure_items.xml file but I don't think it actually matters (correct me if I'm wrong).

<windowclass name="pcmagicitem">
<datasource>magicitemlistitem</datasource>
<frame>charsheet</frame>
<placement>
<size>
<width>270</width>
<height>370</height>
</size>
</placement>
<sizelimits>
<dynamic />
<minimum>
<width>200</width>
<height>220</height>
</minimum>
</sizelimits>
<minimize>minimized_item</minimize>
<tooltip>
<field>name</field>
</tooltip>
<sheetdata>
<!-- NAME -->
<genericcontrol name="nameframe">
<bounds>10,20,-10,35</bounds>
<frame>
<name>sheetgroup</name>
</frame>
</genericcontrol>
<windowopencontrol>
<anchored>
<to>nameframe</to>
<position>insidetopleft</position>
<offset>13,8</offset>
<size>
<width>20</width>
<height>20</height>
</size>
</anchored>
<icon>
<normal>button_openwindow</normal>
<pressed>button_emptytarget</pressed>
</icon>
<class>item</class>
<description>
<field>name</field>
</description>
</windowopencontrol>
<stringfield name="name">
<anchored>
<top>
<parent>nameframe</parent>
<anchor>top</anchor>
<offset>9</offset>
</top>
<left>
<anchor>left</anchor>
<offset>35</offset>
</left>
<right>
<anchor>right</anchor>
<offset>-15</offset>
</right>
</anchored>
<empty>« New Item »</empty>
<font>sheettext</font>
</stringfield>

<!-- Frame -->
<genericcontrol name="descframe">
<bounds>10,54,-10,-13</bounds>
<frame>
<name>sheetgroup</name>
<offset>0,1,0,0</offset>
</frame>
</genericcontrol>

<formattedtextfield name="description">
<anchored>
<left>
<parent>descframe</parent>
<anchor>left</anchor>
<offset>11</offset>
</left>
<right>
<anchor>right</anchor>
<offset>-11</offset>
</right>
<top>
<anchor>top</anchor>
<offset>10</offset>
</top>
<bottom>
<anchor>bottom</anchor>
<offset>-10</offset>
</bottom>
</anchored>
<font>
<normal>chatfont</normal>
<bold>narratorfont</bold>
<italic>chatitalicfont</italic>
<bolditalic>chatbolditalicfont</bolditalic>
<title>defaultstringcontrol</title>
</font>
</formattedtextfield>
<scrollercontrol name="description_scroller">
<anchored>
<to>descframe</to>
<position>insidebottomright</position>
</anchored>
<target>description</target>
<button>
<normal>button_scroller</normal>
<pressed>button_scroller_down</pressed>
</button>
</scrollercontrol>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

Taken all together, this code allows the following kind of behaviour ...

The party discovers a magic item The DM uses the usual FG2 tools to manage "at-a-glance" and "identified" descriptions Once the item is identified, the DM drags the item to the player's character sheet's magic items box The player now has a list if magic items with links to detailed descriptions (the descriptions from the magic items module or the campaign's items database)

You end up with the kind of thing shown in the attached screenshot here, a dump from the player's screen with all those item screens opened up from the player's character sheet.

This is almost exactly the kind of behaviour I was looking for. The key thing, imo, is that the players have access to the descriptions of the items in their possession, without having to gain access to the books or clumsily cut-and-paste things into notes. As a DM (or GM; I'm old school!), you may have issues with giving the players full descriptions of what their items can do and how they work etc etc but that's up to you.

Right, what was that issue I mentioned? Yes, I guess I must have some class definition messed up somewhere because when the DM drags an item to a character sheet, and that character's player tries to open the item window ... it shows blank. There is an empty item window, with a name but no description. This remains in effect until the player disconnects and then reconnects. I shall see if I can track this down somehow and will then edit this post accordingly.

Ok, so ... comments and suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks.

joshuha
January 23rd, 2008, 17:34
The blank thing is because a player normally does not have access to the items node in the DB.xml file. To enable that you will need to look at the addHolder() function of a databasenode. Also, sharing a window also make everyone on the share list a temporary holder of the data. So if you share the item, you can drag and drop it and the player can open it until its unshared.

If you have an Items module that you made available to players then that should work as long as the player has the module loaded.

bazutti
February 26th, 2008, 21:54
I was trying to get this set up. I have the Magic Item box on the character sheet, but for some reason, dragging anything into it doesn't work?

zifnab69_fr
April 4th, 2008, 15:48
Hello... i try to use this mod but it didn't work.
can you help me ?
i understand that i must delete <!-- Armor check penalty and the <!-- Encumbrance part in charsheet_inventory.xml.
So i see the magic item box in the player inventory, but it's impossible to put anything in it...

Thank you

Bidmaron
December 21st, 2008, 12:59
Has anyone been able to get this to work since the last two posts? This looks most useful. I'm wondering why the entire inventory list couldn't be made to have a hot link box to the item's description. The link box would take you to whatever you wanted, a library module entry, or a database item. That should be possible, right?

Foen
December 21st, 2008, 20:41
The code given seems incomplete: it doesn't include anything to acually copy a source item into the list (onDrop or similar). I also think you're right Bidmaron: a link box could take you to whatever you wanted.

Foen

Bidmaron
December 22nd, 2008, 00:49
Well, I am torn on which will be my first coding project. My thoughts:
1) Getting my feet wet on an extension and adding a trap item similar to the town extension.
2) Fixing NPCs such that they can link either to a character sheet-like thing (exactly alike, but different in that when you drag the character token from it to the combat tracker [using the jpg mods with a character token on the character sheet], you get either a hostile vice friendly) or to the current personality sheet [I think the preacher working on nWoD was trying to do this also].
3) Making this mod to link inventory items to item sheets or library entries.

Foen
December 22nd, 2008, 06:01
The first of your suggestions sounds like a good bet: it is more self-contained and will let you get your feet wet coding, without dropping you in at the deep end.

The others are tougher because they are more tightly integrated to existing code.

Just my 2c.

Foen

Bidmaron
December 22nd, 2008, 15:11
OK, so be it. First I'm going to finish my upload of the newest Missing FG2 Help, as I've been working hard on getting in all the character sheet stuff.

ChemicalAgent
December 24th, 2008, 04:24
In the d20_JPG ruleset you can share the sheet with players. Then they can drag the box to inventory as a shortcut.

Bidmaron
December 24th, 2008, 12:43
Thanks for that tidbit. I wonder if that's actually documented in the release notes?