PDA

View Full Version : FG 2 appropriate for asynchronous play?

stormbringergrey
May 3rd, 2007, 22:53
I’m starting a CoC game with very old friends from the 80’s spread over the Eastern seaboard of the US and I’m researching our online options. Unfortunately, we’ve come to the conclusion that real time play won’t be an option. Can FG 2 be use in conjunction with a play-by-post forum method? Has anyone done this? I was thinking FG2 might be useful to maintain the character sheets, tactical maps, etc…

unixpanix
May 3rd, 2007, 23:03
I have seen some people handle the RP aspects though forums, then once the action begins use FG as a medium for that. They would schedule a time to meet and act out combat, etc...

Tokuriku
May 4th, 2007, 00:11
I have seen some people handle the RP aspects though forums, then once the action begins use FG as a medium for that. They would schedule a time to meet and act out combat, etc...

That is exactly what I do.
I use both FGII and forum play by post methods.

The thing is, stormbringergrey, that you might have it reversed.
I primarily use the forum for character sheets, tactical maps and game history.
When the action or combat sets, it is very difficult to make it fluid on a forum so we go for FGII.
Once a game is started, only the GM has access to the character sheets and maps unless he/she opens a session and leaves it open permanently so that the players can connect to it anytime.
I.E: the information is all on the GM's computer.

But, I also use FG for my tabletop games.
It is by far a better medium then all the spreadsheets and maps that I sometime lost.
The NPC's and the story is neetly stored and easily accessible.
Combat tracker is a must for easy fluid combat, etc...
Now I don't loose anything and can just open my campaign and re-use it for other groups.
I still bring some maps to give to the players but most of my stuff is on my portable computer.

If you take the method I use above and use it for what you intended, it will work.
Hence if all your players have a Full license and you give them the campaign folder, they will be able to run the campaign as a GM and thus have their charactersheets, maps, history availlable.

Griogre
May 4th, 2007, 02:37
I’m starting a CoC game with very old friends from the 80’s spread over the Eastern seaboard of the US and I’m researching our online options. Unfortunately, we’ve come to the conclusion that real time play won’t be an option. Can FG 2 be use in conjunction with a play-by-post forum method? Has anyone done this? I was thinking FG2 might be useful to maintain the character sheets, tactical maps, etc…
FG really works better with real time play, IMHO. I would think that Yahoo Groups would be better for a play by post campaign. You get a private message board and places to put up your files, pictures and links. The thing that really takes forever in play by post games is combat. You can literally save weeks of posting time if you could just run some combat in real time.