PDA

View Full Version : New list of spells

Traygin
May 3rd, 2007, 20:28
I want to develop a list of Forgotten Realms specific spells (I guess new ruleset) where in FG 2 will I find the list of D20 spells so that I can use it as a base for my FR spells. Is the list in an xml file or in one of the .lua files ect…

The High Druid
May 4th, 2007, 02:29
You need to make a copy of d20spells.mod and then thange the name to d20spells.zip. After that open it up and edit the client file with your spells . . . I'd suggest deleting all the spells save one and use that one left as your template for your new ones. In order to stop your changes being wiped by the next rulest update you'll need this to be a new module, which means changing the references to "d20spells" in client.xml and deffinition.xml to whatever your new module name will be such as "d20newspells". After that, re-zip the files, change d20newspells.zip to d20newspells.mod, open up FG2 and hope that, unlike me, you can type properly and don't have to open it up again searching for typos in the client file!

Traygin
May 4th, 2007, 03:10
Thanks for the info!

ldyparadox99
May 4th, 2007, 08:25
Hiya...

This has been my major project for my new ruleset. If for some reason you add or edit spells that are already in the module and it ceases to exist in the library, go through and delete all of the existing spells in the module and start from scratch.

I'm still not sure if this was specific to my particular ruleset (I had to edit how the description read to add a mana cost and a recast time) or if it would have happened anyway if I hadn't had to mess with the reference_spell.xml file.

As The High Druid said, the client is extremely, extremely sensitive to typos. If you forget to close an html tag or accidently delete a > it won't show up. I also found out that an apostrophe in the spell name within the <spellname></spellname> is an illegal character (unlike fg1) as well as - I believe.

I had been using Crimson Editor as a text editor, but I found and switched to a new program that is specifically an xml editor (among other languages) called oXygen. They have a 30 day license trial and I suggest googling it and trying it.

I've been extremely happy with the program because it tells you if there's a broken tag somewhere, it outlines the whole file on a side bar so instead of scrolling you just have to click where you want to go (which is great when you edit a spell description then need to add it to the class spell list. Saves scrolling. Oh, and the best function is it automatically closes off html tags!

Good luck!

Griogre
May 4th, 2007, 20:49
Some other xml editors are XMLSpy which does have a free home/student version (though they bury it on their site) that never expires. Also you might find MS Visual Studio editors useful. They have VS Express Editions which are free https://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

Some other free editors: https://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
https://xml-copy-editor.sourceforge.net/

For editing FG you just want the most simple editor you can find become all you care about are finding typos, bad characters and mal formed tags. You also may find it better to use a very simple font like a system font to cut down on problems with characters were one type is legal but another is not (ie apostrophies, dashes). Of course the easiest way to check if you xml is well formed is to open it in a browser. If it loads its good, and if it fails it will give you a line number.

karlhunt
May 5th, 2007, 06:52
call me ignorant but where is the d20spells.mod? I have been ooking everywhere for these!

ldyparadox99
May 5th, 2007, 10:16
Look in the d20 ruleset that came with the program and there should be a folder labled modules. Inside are 4 .mod files.