PDA

View Full Version : Convert PC to NPC

DragonBetween
September 14th, 2020, 17:32
I’m currently using FGU. Is there a way to convert a PC to NPC? Making a PC is faster I think.

LordEntrails
September 14th, 2020, 17:39
What ruleset?
Please either post in the ruleset specific forum or make sure to let us know what ruleset you are asking about.

For instance, SavageWorlds has a way to do this, D&D 5E does not.

DragonBetween
September 14th, 2020, 20:29
It 5ed

Zacchaeus
September 14th, 2020, 20:51
There's no button you can press to convert a PC to NPC or vice versa, But you can create either based on the other.

MasterJena
September 15th, 2020, 14:29
Creating a PC is faster because you're probably used to do it. I'd recommend spending some hours on learning NPC statblock creation. It'll take me half an hour to build a 11th level wizard PC. I can build it as an NPC in <10min. It parses everything automatically for me.

Another thing that might not interest you, but: PCs are inherently different from NPCs in 5th edition. A high level monk NPC does not get all the class features a high level PC monk gets, unless you want it. They're supposed to play and feel different from a PC because their role in the game is completely distinct. I'd advise you to steal a thing or two from PC creation but don't make them PCs, so that your PCs feel special.

That does not answer your question... I'm aware, just thought I'd give you a very precious piece of advice that helped me a lot back in the day... Cheers.

The answer to your question is no. There is no way to auto-convert an PC into an NPC.

RCathcart
December 7th, 2020, 20:59
For instance, SavageWorlds has a way to do this...

Can you point me to an explanation of how? Is it an extension? Something I'm missing? I'm using SWADE, fyi. Thanks.

JohnD
December 7th, 2020, 21:00
AD&D Classics can also make an NPC out of a PC, and vice versa a PC out of an NPC.

LordEntrails
December 7th, 2020, 21:30
Can you point me to an explanation of how? Is it an extension? Something I'm missing? I'm using SWADE, fyi. Thanks.
I have no idea. You would have to ask in the SWADE/SW forums. I'm just pretty confident that ruleset has a way to do it.