PDA

View Full Version : The Updates

Tokuriku
May 3rd, 2007, 00:15
I want to make a new ruleset but there are a lot of updates lately.
I have no problem with it, I really appreciate it actually.
I used the packed ruleset and customized it to my liking and it is working prety fine.
But since it was the packed ruleset (and that the ACTUALLY used standard ruleset is not visible), I am quite a few updates behind as are almost everyone else making rulesets I think.
My biggest problem is with images (maps).
If I use a standard ruleset, I can share them to a particular person, if I use my ruleset (in wich I didn't touch anything outside the character sheet, when I try and release the link box on a player, it simply opens the map on my side...

Any suggestions?

Tokuriku
May 3rd, 2007, 00:37
Forget it, I think I found the way to solve my problem.

The actual files that the game uses for default play seem to actually be in the d20.pak file (it is not simply an exemple pack).
As the updates roll in, that pack file gets updated.
So I simply unpacked it another time and took all the files that I did not change in my ruleset and copied them in my ruleset and all works fine now :)
For the files I did change, I have to find my code by hand and copy it in the new files.

Oberoten
May 3rd, 2007, 08:26
Forget it, I think I found the way to solve my problem.

The actual files that the game uses for default play seem to actually be in the d20.pak file (it is not simply an exemple pack).
As the updates roll in, that pack file gets updated.
So I simply unpacked it another time and took all the files that I did not change in my ruleset and copied them in my ruleset and all works fine now :)
For the files I did change, I have to find my code by hand and copy it in the new files.

Since all the XML is loaded at the same time at runtime I am going to try something radical...

Making new files containing my modifications and make base.xml point to them. This means that when a upgrade drops I will just unpak it and drop the new files into my ruleset so I have full functionality and only have to edit the base.xml with no risk of overwriting my own hard work.

Tokuriku
May 3rd, 2007, 09:57
Obviously, that's the best approach.
My point was only that I didn't know that the actually used files where in the packed file.

One thing though... sometimes, new functionality are imbeded directly in the code where you change stuff.
Just have to be carefull to follow that neatly so that you/I don't loose nice new functionality due to that.

joshuha
May 3rd, 2007, 15:37
Since all the XML is loaded at the same time at runtime I am going to try something radical...

Making new files containing my modifications and make base.xml point to them. This means that when a upgrade drops I will just unpak it and drop the new files into my ruleset so I have full functionality and only have to edit the base.xml with no risk of overwriting my own hard work.

Thats the ideal approach but when you need to modify built in functions like onDiceLanded and stuff not an easy way to do this. But for all custom windowclasses, graphics, etc. this is what I recommend.