PDA

View Full Version : Can't load up campaign files

AndyPan
May 2nd, 2007, 20:45
Having a bit of a problem here, and I am at a loss. I am in the process of prepping up a printed module for use with my group sometime within the next couple months. Have been working on it off and on since Monday, and have had no problems. I worked on it some this morning, even after updating to 2.0.7. However, I just tried loading it up a little while ago, and it is crashing everytime. It doesn't even fully load up. I'd think there was something wrong with the latest update itself, if it weren't for the fact that two other completed campaigns/modules in the list both load up fine. I can't think of anything I did when I was last working on this campaign file that could have caused this issue. I have even re-updated, and that didn;t seem to help. Any thoughts?

richvalle
May 2nd, 2007, 21:18
Try making a copy of the modulestate.xml file and then removing it and starting up FGII.

If it work then, email the modulestate.xml file to FG support.

rv

AndyPan
May 2nd, 2007, 22:18
It seems like it might be the db.xml file. I tried messing with the modulestate.xml file like you mentioned, but that didn't seem to change anything. If I remove the db.xml file, and load up the campaign, I DO get an error (somethign like File Line 0: Can't open file. Or somethign like that), but afterwards, it comes right up, with nothing in there of course. I am in the process of rebuilding the files. Luckily I hadn't gotten too far to begin with. Still frustrating.

Dumb question: What's FG's support email?

Griogre
May 2nd, 2007, 22:26
It's in the FAQ should you need it in the future.

Address is: [email protected]

AndyPan
May 2nd, 2007, 22:37
Thanks. Told ya it was a dumb question!

richvalle
May 3rd, 2007, 00:46
Try starting a new campaign, exit out and then dumping the dm.xml into the new one and start FGII back up.

rv

Necron99
May 3rd, 2007, 04:50
Getting the same thing, tried the modulestate thing, and dropping the db.xml into a dummy campaign. The problem seems to follow the db.xml file.

Giving up, going to bed :)

Edit: Did one more test - I restored a backup of my campaign folder from before the last patch. The first time I opened it, everything was fine. When I closed FG and ran it again, it crashed.

Ok, now I'm REALLY going to bed

greowhiste
May 3rd, 2007, 06:16
Necron99, I am getting the same error. When you try starting up, when it crashes, do you get this error?

""FantasyGrounds.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

To see what data this error report contains, click here.
(then two buttons: Send Error Report and Don't Send)""

Devs: I'm having this message, and what seems to be the same problem. I was in the middle of a session (and in combat no less) and the program crashed. When I tried to restart, it would not let me, it is not allowing me to even get into the program. I am however, able to run FGII with a different campaign. Also, a note, I didn't know if the map I was using was corrupted or something while using it, but when we did start a temporary new campaign, just so we could finish the battle, I brought in that same last image in and everything worked fine. Of course I would like to have all my saved data and have my old campaign working again. Please help. Thanks.

Goblin-King
May 3rd, 2007, 06:59
If you encounter a corrupted db.xml, please send it to our support e-mail. We might see where it went wrong and it's a lot easier to track down with broken files.

Tokuriku
May 3rd, 2007, 13:59
I could recreate this problem...
It is when I enter a new personnality.
If I erase that personnality from the DB, it loads without problem.
If not, it won't even load.
May be a problem with the CampaignRegistry???

Goblin-King
May 3rd, 2007, 14:27
Found an issue and fixed it, thanks for the db.xml Necron99.

Callum
May 3rd, 2007, 15:14
Necron99, I am getting the same error. When you try starting up, when it crashes, do you get this error?

""FantasyGrounds.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

To see what data this error report contains, click here.
(then two buttons: Send Error Report and Don't Send)""
I've run into this exact same problem. I was doing a little text editing on one of my campaigns, ready to export as a module, and quit FG II to put some tokens into the App Data folder. When I tried to restart FG II, I got the error message quoted above. After some experimentation, it seems that this problem only occurs when I try to open a campaign as GM that existed at the time of the first error (even A Tale of Dinor) - if I create a new campaign, it works fine, as does creating characters mode.

Found an issue and fixed it, thanks for the db.xml Necron99.
Is that fix available, Goblin-King? I'm trying to get ready to run a session in a few hours...

Goblin-King
May 3rd, 2007, 15:22
The update is now available.

Necron99
May 3rd, 2007, 18:42
All good now.

Whew, what a relief!

However, I have a new problem. After loading the campaign, I create a new entry in the Personalities list, Change the name to something like "Green Slime,", then edit the description page.

As soon as I enter the first character in the field, I get the following window:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

The Program (yada yada) has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way"

If I edit existing entries, there is no problem - only if I edit the description of a new entry.

After restoring from backup, I was able to edit the new entry ok on the first load. But when I try to load the campaign again, it crashes every time - UNTIL I delete the modulestate file.

Goblin-King
May 4th, 2007, 06:49
Is this happening with the same campaign you sent us (and with the first personality created)? Did the modulestate file affect the personality editing problem or is it separate?

Necron99
May 4th, 2007, 16:31
yes, it happened with the first personality created using the campaign files I sent.

If I drop the folder I sent you into the campaign files directory and load it, I get the runtime error as described above. (Oddly, There was actually one occasion where I managed to edit the description field, but when I closed the program I was unable to reload because it would crash every time)

If I drop the files but delete the modulestate before I run it, FG creates a new one and all is right with the world.

Whether or not is is a separate problem I can't be certain of - only that if I run the original campaign files I have the runtime error, but the original campaign files WITHOUT the modulestate.xml runs great.

I haven't had an opportunity to investigate any further yet.