PDA

View Full Version : [extension] Advanced Spell Damage Extension - casting spells at higher level.

bratch9
September 12th, 2020, 18:44
This extension is now on www.dmsguild.com 'Fantasy Grounds Advanced Spell Damage' (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/327397/Fantasy-Grounds-Advanced-Spell-Damage-extension)
My other extensions can be found on www.dmsguild.com 'Bratch Nine' (https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?keywords=&author=Bratch+Nine&artist=&pfrom=&pto=)
RULESET : 5E

Just letting people know my extension to allow 'different level' casting is up on dmsguild. The extension adds a casting level box onto the spell header bar, it parses the 'at higher level' data from the spell description and extends the amount of damage/heal lines in the spell. As you change the casting level these are automatically updated on the spell and tool tip, so you can see what is going to be cast as damage/heal amounts. Once you are done with the action, you can 'double click' the spell level selection box to 'tick' off that spell usage. [ Note, not checks are made for valid spell slots available, or if you have slots left to cast... that is upto the player to make sure they actually have the level slot available when they decide on the casting level... ]

I'm going to be looking to add custom effect lines, for the spells that 'need' that sort of thing. I have already extended the effect line so it can roll a different amount of dice in the style of [STR] adds strength bonus value, and pass that evaluated amount onto a target, I'll be working on the 'linkage' between the selected spell level and the effect line next week.

If you have been looking for this type of thing, and/or have some feedback, please let me know.

LordEntrails
September 12th, 2020, 20:01
MOD: Moved to Paid Creations forum :)

bratch9
September 12th, 2020, 21:50
can you also move, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59741-extension-Advanced-Weapon-Damage-Extension&p=524192#post524192

as its now on dms guild aswell..

vaughnlannister
October 9th, 2020, 15:57
Hi, I found that Advanced-spell-damage doesn't work for NPC in the combat tracker, when MadNomad's Character Sheet Effects are on would you in the future make the two compatible with each other?

Many Thanks!

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/329736/Fantasy-Grounds-Mad-Nomads-Character-Sheet-Effects-Display

bratch9
October 10th, 2020, 17:27
Hi, I found that Advanced-spell-damage doesn't work for NPC in the combat tracker, when MadNomad's Character Sheet Effects are on would you in the future make the two compatible with each other?

Many Thanks!

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/329736/Fantasy-Grounds-Mad-Nomads-Character-Sheet-Effects-Display

Hi,

I've had a look using spell damage v2.0 with character sheet effects v1.10, and I'm not sure what is supposed to not be working? When I add an npc to combat tracker I can change the cast level and its responds as i'd expect.

Is some thing in the character sheet effects not showing as it should ? ( I dont know the extension, so not 100% what might be missing or not working. )

Can you check with the latest versions, and if you still have an issue, please add an image and some extra description as to what is not working and possible setup so I can check the issue. ( And if needed pass it onto MadNomad.. )

Thanks.

vaughnlannister
October 11th, 2020, 11:11
Hey,

I just did another check.. and I found that it was Advanced Effects https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)
that was interfering.. I dunno why.. but in the last test Character Effect Sheets wasn't interfering anymore.

I know Celestial's latest version fixed an issue that the amount of spells slots that an NPC could cast.. were missing.

Haven't changed versions for Character Effect Sheets so.. I don't know why.. though

Thanks!

bratch9
October 11th, 2020, 18:10
Hey,

I just did another check.. and I found that it was Advanced Effects https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)
that was interfering.. I dunno why.. but in the last test Character Effect Sheets wasn't interfering anymore.

I know Celestial's latest version fixed an issue that the amount of spells slots that an NPC could cast.. were missing.

Haven't changed versions for Character Effect Sheets so.. I don't know why.. though

Thanks!

Hi, would you like to check v2.1 as you probably know the advanced effects extension better than I do. But it seems to be displaying the correct spell level up-cast as selected and showing/rolling the effect when added to an npc.

(Dont forget you will probably have to delete the npc off the combat tracker, and re-drag it on.. to allow things to 'update' etc. )

-pete

vaughnlannister
October 12th, 2020, 13:06
Hi Pete :)

Many thanks for making it compatible with Advanced Effects! I was using a version that had a different load order.. 1001, that still wasn't working.. I re-downloaded the version that was on Celestial's page and it all works :D!!!

Again thanks for all the support you give to your extension :)!

bratch9
October 12th, 2020, 13:38
Hi Pete :)

Many thanks for making it compatible with Advanced Effects! I was using a version that had a different load order.. 1001, that still wasn't working.. I re-downloaded the version that was on Celestial's page and it all works :D!!!

Again thanks for all the support you give to your extension :)!

Hi, Glad its working for you..

Yep, its not possible for extensions to 'merge contents of a function', unless the work can be done as a 'pre or post' fix... In both mine and Celestials we do changes inside the middle of the function. So these will not 'normally' merge.

To resolve this I looked at the code add by both extensions and worked out a way to detect advanced effects and then also call this extra function(s) from my extension..

So my extension has to load 'after' for this to work... so if you do move the load order of advanced effects you need to move my advanced spell and my advanced weapon effects after it. ( As I have also done the same sort of patch for weapon effects on the player side to allow my extensions to work with this one.. )

-pete

vaughnlannister
October 13th, 2020, 11:27
Nice that sounds complicated!

Glad it was a familiar problem you dealt with earlier so it was easier for you to implement a fix :)!

Ludd_G
October 14th, 2020, 13:18
Hi Bratch9,

I'm using Diablobobs DM Tools to pre-place tokens for spells to target etc. but when I reparse a spell to use your 'casting at higher level' functionality (which works great by the way, great stuff!) it kills the token line for the spell. Am I doing something wrong or is there a work a round to be able to use both of these functions at the same time?

Cheers,

Simon

I think this is sorted by just repopulating the spell rather than reparsing an existing version, fingers crossed!

bratch9
October 14th, 2020, 18:43
Hi Bratch9,

I'm using Diablobobs DM Tools to pre-place tokens for spells to target etc. but when I reparse a spell to use your 'casting at higher level' functionality (which works great by the way, great stuff!) it kills the token line for the spell. Am I doing something wrong or is there a work a round to be able to use both of these functions at the same time?

Cheers,

Simon

I think this is sorted by just repopulating the spell rather than reparsing an existing version, fingers crossed!

Hi Simon,

I've added an option menu item to v2.2 that is defaulted off, that will only remove the 'damage/heal/cast/effect' action lines... so when enabled it should 'keep' the 'spell token' action line during the re-parse.

Note.. this can and will still break Rob2e spells effects, as these spells have custom 'damage/heal/cast/effect' lines during a re-parse... But my extension does patch in as best it can the extra lvl data on Rob2e spells when dropped onto character sheet and should keep the pre-defined spell token info. ( Just not on a re-parse.. )

But it sounds like you have been adding extra spell tokens to normal spells, and you want to keep these, which this option should.. ( Assuming you are not also editing action lines for the spell, which will be reset back to standard spell lines on re-parse.. )

Let me know if this goes well or not as you expected. ( If not as expected, can you attach an example screen shot or small campaign zip and some extra details, so I can take a specific look at what you need. )

-pete

Ludd_G
October 14th, 2020, 19:11
Thanks Pete,

I'll grab the new version and do some testing. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Simon

vaughnlannister
October 15th, 2020, 15:11
Hi Pete,

I looked closely in the option menu but couldn't find your new added option, could you help, by sending a screenshot :)

As blind as a bat :p

Thanks!

-Updated to v2.2
Added 'option menu' item to enable 'keep spell token' from 'Critically Awesome Essentials' extension

bratch9
October 15th, 2020, 15:57
Hi Pete,

I looked closely in the option menu but couldn't find your new added option, could you help, by sending a screenshot :)

As blind as a bat :p

Thanks!

-Updated to v2.2
Added 'option menu' item to enable 'keep spell token' from 'Critically Awesome Essentials' extension

see attached... hope this helps. ( Its from v2.2a but that fixes a different issue... but maybe update to this aswell. )

vaughnlannister
October 15th, 2020, 16:38
Thanks :D!!! Found it, I just updated Advanced Spell damage and had to re-enable the extension :P , that was why I couldn't find it lol

bratch9
October 15th, 2020, 16:41
Thanks :D!!! Found it, I just updated Advanced Spell damage and had to re-enable the extension :P , that was why I couldn't find it lol

Well not enabled would make it hard to find !!

let me know if its working as expected.

vaughnlannister
October 15th, 2020, 19:39
Thanks, I've finally gotten further in my LMoP campaign, and we've started to use your other extension Advanced Weapon Damage :D, its so cool, I used the power option, to add the Shillelagh effect to a staff, helps to clean up the Action Tab a bit that way. My group has just found the Hew axes :p, only a pity that twig blights only have 4hp :(, but its still really cool what effects you can add to weapons in this way!

bratch9
October 15th, 2020, 20:51
Thanks, I've finally gotten further in my LMoP campaign, and we've started to use your other extension Advanced Weapon Damage :D, its so cool, I used the power option, to add the Shillelagh effect to a staff, helps to clean up the Action Tab a bit that way. My group has just found the Hew axes :p, only a pity that twig blights only have 4hp :(, but its still really cool what effects you can add to weapons in this way!

Yep, also hew is part of the samples in adv weapon, I'm sure you have seen already. LMoP was the first fantasy grounds our group ran and inspired the adv weapon mod... due to not wanting to have many 'effect' active to manage in the CT.

I do need to add more samples for adv weapon, but adv spell needed my time to get to a good feature level.

If you have suggestions/feedback for either extension just let me know. ( and/or add them to dmsguild against the extension... reviews and stars are good too... I'm told !! )

I'm glad others are getting use out of them, our group is just wrapping up CoS and then we are looking at Starfinder dead suns.. So I might look into extensions for starfinder, which seem a bit slim on the ground...

vaughnlannister
October 15th, 2020, 21:19
Sure, I will I'm just starting to play around with them :p. I know this has been suggested.. but thought it worth suggesting again, if you could add automation to check off spell slots, when a player cast a spell, that would be awesome :D!! My players never do it themselves, other then that it looks pretty solid to me, I haven't run into other things I would want it to do for me yet, but I'm quite new to FGs and DnD :).

bratch9
October 16th, 2020, 10:57
Sure, I will I'm just starting to play around with them :p. I know this has been suggested.. but thought it worth suggesting again, if you could add automation to check off spell slots, when a player cast a spell, that would be awesome :D!! My players never do it themselves, other then that it looks pretty solid to me, I haven't run into other things I would want it to do for me yet, but I'm quite new to FGs and DnD :).

You can double click the up-casting box to tick off the spell level on the character sheet.. How does this not do this ?

And in more detail of my thoughts,

As it stands a spell could have multiple action lines, some are used most of the time, some are optional or depend on results.. So its not possible to say 'mark off' parts of the spell as its used and then once all parts are marked off to then 'tick off a spell' as done. That would require fully path flowing every spell and tracking the stages and steps, need loads of pop ups for things like 'target selections' and rolls etc...

To properly automate a spell tick off, would require fundamental structure at fantasy grounds program level, and this to then be added to every module for every spell. Its not something that is viable as an external extension, due to the fact 'every spell' would then be requested for that data as the extension (my) responsibility. Which is thousand(s) of spells to look after and manage at the whim of anybody wanting to make up a spell and request it work with the extension.

Fantasy grounds 'helps' automate many things, but its not a game that has a known structure and feature set and hence can not be automated to the likes of say final fantasy.

As an example, can you list what a 'player' would do to say 'cast magic missile' in terms of button presses/selections and how and when this would then 'automatically ticked off the spell slot'

( Yes I know this is not your direct suggestion, but can you give it some thought and put some words down as to 'how' you think this would work at a player interaction level... )

From what I can see '5e spell automation' basically uses the left side 'icon' of the spell to tick off the spell, it runs all the actions... which then 'breaks' a lot of spells... For example 'chromatic orb' will roll the ranged 'attack' cast and on a hit it will then roll the 3d8 damage for 'acid', and 3d8 'cold', and 3d8 'fire', and 3d8 'lightning', and 3d8 'poison', and 3d8 'thunder'... ( And if the spell also has effect actions it will run all those even if only some should apply.. ), for magic missile it only rolls one 1d4+1 damage instead of 3 of these or more at higher level and again no 'target' selections etc...

Hence this is why I say 'automation' of spells does not work. You would have to know that only one of the damage lines need to be run for chromatic orb... you need to pop up to ask the player which damage type etc... and magic missile needs target pop ups as you could and should roll each dart against a creature ( which might die ) and select the next target etc...

This is just 2 examples of simple spells, more complex flow exists in other spells.

Does this clear up the reason why automated spell just does not work, without it been fundamental to fantasy grounds and it 'forcing' flow structure to be built into every spell. ( which modules would then have to add/support to add new spells etc.. )

-pete

Ludd_G
October 16th, 2020, 15:17
Hi Pete,

just to let you know I've been testing with the most recent version and so far things are working well. Thanks for all your work.

Cheers,

Simon

vaughnlannister
October 16th, 2020, 18:48
Hi Pete,

I was thinking if similar implementation could be used as for the "Use Up Power" https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43198-5E-Use-Up-Powers-extension

Fantasy grounds already can make a distinction between, power, cantrips and spells (see images). 4025640257.
Maybe full coverage of spell slot tracking would be difficult, but I was wondering if, a spell cast when pressed, then could automatically check the upcast from your window --> then mark of the lvl of the spell slot.

For Damage (magic missile), Heal or spells effect, maybe it would be possible to add an effect line that could be tied into this mark of, for spell slots in a similar way as described above. Players would have to add this effects line themselves to spell that they want to have automation for.

Another idea would be to track the symbols of the spells used for casting in the chat.
That are used in the Rob2e Spell Effects codings.
(Mattekure chat triggers uses this for sounds)

(60) - Range - this will be a range in feet 30, 60, 90, etc.
(S) - Self - sometimes listed with a corresponding range
(T) Touch
(C) Concentration
(B) Bonus Action
(R) Reaction
(RIT) Ritual
($) Component cost

So I was hoping that a button press for a cast, effect or DMG/Heal from a spell could be linked to mark of the spells.
I don't know if this would be achievable.. I'm not an expert in coding.. but maybe it could help spark an idea, or could be interpreted from your perspective if this would be possible to do?

Many thanks for your openness to feedback!

Vaughn

bratch9
October 16th, 2020, 22:55
Hi Pete,

I was thinking if similar implementation could be used as for the "Use Up Power" https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43198-5E-Use-Up-Powers-extension

Fantasy grounds already can make a distinction between, power, cantrips and spells (see images). 4025640257.
Maybe full coverage of spell slot tracking would be difficult, but I was wondering if, a spell cast when pressed, then could automatically check the upcast from your window --> then mark of the lvl of the spell slot.

For Damage (magic missile), Heal or spells effect, maybe it would be possible to add an effect line that could be tied into this mark of, for spell slots in a similar way as described above. Players would have to add this effects line themselves to spell that they want to have automation for.

Another idea would be to track the symbols of the spells used for casting in the chat.
That are used in the Rob2e Spell Effects codings.
(Mattekure chat triggers uses this for sounds)

(60) - Range - this will be a range in feet 30, 60, 90, etc.
(S) - Self - sometimes listed with a corresponding range
(T) Touch
(C) Concentration
(B) Bonus Action
(R) Reaction
(RIT) Ritual
($) Component cost

So I was hoping that a button press for a cast, effect or DMG/Heal from a spell could be linked to mark of the spells.
I don't know if this would be achievable.. I'm not an expert in coding.. but maybe it could help spark an idea, or could be interpreted from your perspective if this would be possible to do?

Many thanks for your openness to feedback!

Vaughn

Well if you double click my upcast level box it already marks off the spell at the top of the character sheet...

Yes I understand and know about usages and the like, I use these sorts of tick off for my characters lay on hands...

You could also probably understand I know a lot about how the spell system works from the rule set source code, I've made changes in nearly every part of the spell parsing code.. ( And weapons, and effects, from my other extensions.. )

Its not that its impossible to do what you want, and the above information you suggest is nothing close to the data you would need to make a quality solution. Yes I could hack some bodge together, and force players to 'hand code' effects and drag those about as you suggest... but the reality is I think that would be worse than the current system.

Fantasy grounds, just is not design to automate fully, it would need a fundamental change to make a nice reliable system that users new->experienced could actually use. ( Yes I'm sure some of the long term users will put up with a lot.. )

The reality of a system, I think, you are suggesting would require significant work in the spell,effects,character,npc,combat track and probably even the image system for the likes of LoS data.

While you are thinking about it from the player side, the reality is you also need to think about how this links back to the dm's/npc/ct side due to how the rule set code is designed and written.

Its just not something I think is workable from my extension side, and/or the time and effort I feel it would take to implement in a system I would be happy to release to the public. ( And I don't see any real use for it, because I feel you would still need to have player interactions for it to progress over the stages of the spell cast... I don't see what it would 'save' for a player/dm.. )

Its clear I probably have a different view on what you are suggesting, but I dont see a way to automate spell casting without the need for interacting with the player/dm. ( Yes I'm sure 'some' of the simple spell would work, but I'm not interesting in a solution for 'some' of the spell. Maybe I just have a high quality requirement that I just dont see as possible.. I will let it mull-around in my thoughts, but I just dont see a viable solution at the moment. )

-pete

vaughnlannister
October 17th, 2020, 09:54
It's fine.. :)
In an ideal world.. where anything was possible.. this would be how I hoped it could work.
Its ok.. its still great.. and people are just gonna have to learn to double click the upcast when they use a spell or remember how many spells they have left ;)

Vaughn

vaughnlannister
October 22nd, 2020, 10:03
Hi, I noticed that if that an upcast for a spell that is placed in a different group like Druid, your unable to upcast to a higher lvl spell, would that be a feature you would add in the future?

Thanks!

bratch9
October 22nd, 2020, 13:42
Hi, I noticed that if that an upcast for a spell that is placed in a different group like Druid, your unable to upcast to a higher lvl spell, would that be a feature you would add in the future?

Thanks!

I had a quick look, and it seems from my testing and the look of your screen shot.... that you have these items configured in the 'actions' section and not in the 'spells' section.

Can you confirm you have these assigned to an 'action' section... ( check the meta data... )

'Actions' can group multiple spells at different levels into a group, because the full group is considered at level 0 by the rule set.

I also suspect that the rule set does other different things in the process of 'actions'.

( I'd not use actions for spells, but I understand why you have the druid ability in this section as to use the 'number' per day section etc.. )

I'll take a better look when I have some time, but the extension was not designed to consider 'actions' as 'spell' items... as the rule set splits these in the code so I have to look at that 'why' before I can even look as a solution...

vaughnlannister
October 22nd, 2020, 14:37
Hi yes!

I have these assigned in the action section indeed! Where you are able to assign how many daily uses, or uses per long rest for powers.

Thanks! Hopefully we might see this in the future!

bratch9
October 22nd, 2020, 16:15
Hi yes!

I have these assigned in the action section indeed! Where you are able to assign how many daily uses, or uses per long rest for powers.

Thanks! Hopefully we might see this in the future!

Updated in v2.4 for you..

Let me know if this causes any unknown issues, as I'm not sure if the rule set code might have issues. ( It does not seem to, but I only checked a few spells etc.. )

-pete

vaughnlannister
October 22nd, 2020, 16:39
Awesome it works :D!!!!

Thank you!!!

vaughnlannister
October 23rd, 2020, 09:45
Hi Pete, though up-cast on actions works great! It interferes with a token swap from Critically Awesome Essential One Click Druid .. though only for new added wild shapes when Advanced Spell Damage is turned on.

The effects are still applied on the PC.. though the token swap does not occur.

Thank you, would appreciate if you might be able to resolve this in a future update!

bratch9
October 23rd, 2020, 17:30
Hi Pete, though up-cast on actions works great! It interferes with a token swap from Critically Awesome Essential One Click Druid .. though only for new added wild shapes when Advanced Spell Damage is turned on.

Thank you, would appreciate if you might be able to resolve this in a future update!

Hi,

I'll probably take a look at this on sunday, work was busy today so I did not get time.

-pete

bratch9
October 23rd, 2020, 17:52

Ok, got 5 mins to have a go at reproduction....

looks like with my extension added the name ends up with a ':' instead of a ';'..

just edit the effect line to say 'wildshape;' instead of 'wildshape:'

I'll take a look when I get chance..

( Let me know if the quick edit, sorts out a temp fix for you.. )

-pete

vaughnlannister
October 23rd, 2020, 17:53
Great :) , no worries!

Thank you!

vaughnlannister
October 23rd, 2020, 18:00
Ok, got 5 mins to have a go at reproduction....

looks like with my extension added the name ends up with a ':' instead of a ';'..

just edit the effect line to say 'wildshape;' instead of 'wildshape:'

I'll take a look when I get chance..

( Let me know if the quick edit, sorts out a temp fix for you.. )

-pete

Indeed that fixed it :D!!!

Thank you!!

bratch9
October 23rd, 2020, 19:12
Indeed that fixed it :D!!!

Thank you!!

v2.5 should now spot the types used in the effects...

let me know if any of the heal/wild/poly etc... fail.

-pete

vaughnlannister
October 23rd, 2020, 21:53
Works :)! Many Thanks for implementing such a quick fix!!!

Will do!!

eriktedesco
February 18th, 2021, 19:04
hi bratch9! hope you are fine!

With the new update, this extension started to throw a tantrum:

[2/18/2021 7:03:53 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_power_asd.lua"]:1911: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)

hope it is going to be a minor adjustment!!!

bratch9
February 18th, 2021, 20:33
hi bratch9! hope you are fine!

With the new update, this extension started to throw a tantrum:

[2/18/2021 7:03:53 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_power_asd.lua"]:1911: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)

hope it is going to be a minor adjustment!!!

Just uploaded a fix for this.

let me know if you have other issues.

-pete

eriktedesco
February 18th, 2021, 20:36
Thanks man!!!

Reg
April 16th, 2021, 04:20
Hiya Bratch
I've just installed this extension in FGU current build 4.10 on a Mac. running Catalina 10.15.7
I've disabled all other previously loaded extensions.

The Rob2e spells are not being parsed still.

I've checked some common ones like "Burning Hands" such as used in your example.
If I switch to PHB versions, then it works as expected.
NPC's work fine

I had thought I understood that your support extended to "5e Effects Coding - Spells"

What have I done wrong?

bratch9
April 16th, 2021, 09:32
Hiya Bratch
I've just installed this extension in FGU current build 4.10 on a Mac. running Catalina 10.15.7

I've checked some common ones like "Burning Hands" such as used in your example.
NPC's work fine

I had thought I understood that your support extended to "5e Effects Coding - Spells"

What have I done wrong?

From my PC version 4.10 FG unity, this is what I get for burning hands from both PHB and Rob2e spell. The image is taken set as a level 9 cast, you can see the extra damage and when looking at the spell 'dmg' 'magnifying glass' 'spell/ability damage' you can see both versions of the spells list the extra d6 fire,lvl2... damage as expected.

Can you post the same from your mac side, as i dont have mac its not a 'test' that i can do.. so any information would help. I need to see if its failing to encode the extra lines of damage into the 'spell/ability damage' or if its failing to expand the dmg line on the character sheet when interacting with the header bar cast level etc..

Sorry this is not working for you, as far as I know it should. So its does need to be looked at, but due to lack of mac on my side I can not direct test this issues, so any images/campaign zip you can provide would help.

bratch9
April 16th, 2021, 09:55
Hiya Bratch

NPC's work fine

What have I done wrong?

Also please note, a phb spell can 're-parse' on a character sheet, but rob2e spells do not ( this is the case with no extensions installed... due to how they are encoded.. ), so I always advise (as noted in the instructions) that spell (specifically rob2e ones) need to be re-added to a character and not re-parsed in place on the character sheet.

Also, some of rob2e spell had 'different' damage encoding to the spell they are based off, if these do not match then I also do not add the extra 'lvl' data to the spell as the 'custom damage line' is considered to be a change to the spell. You might spot some of this with for example '1d6 slashing,magic' type damage as it might have been coded in rob2e as '1d6 slashing' ( no magic ).. Please check the original phb version to see if it differs from what is coded in rob2e effect coding spells... I'm not sure if the module from rob2e was built from a time when spell parser did not add in the 'magic' tag for the damage, or if he has specifically removed the tag for his own reasons.

as requested, any information as to the process you used on the character, and results, etc... with images would help, as it is possible mac is causing a specific issue that is now known.

rtrevino70
April 17th, 2021, 00:52
Hello,

ill you be integting with 5e automatic effects too?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects

thnks!

bratch9
April 17th, 2021, 12:05
Hello,

ill you be integting with 5e automatic effects too?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects

thnks!

Not even sure what 'integrating' would be in this case ? ( These are effects that end up on the player, so nothing to do with spells as such, so not sure what the question is about.. )

As I dont have the extensions, I can not tell if these conflict and cause any issues with operation of either.. if you have both and they are not working correct please let me know, what sort of issues you are getting and I can try and guess the issue.

EDIT... picked up the extension and modules... so had a very quick check..

see attached 'test.png' this is a PHB and a 5e Automatic PHB version of fireball.. you can see that both get the correct extra 'lvl' sections of advanced spell damage without breaking the extra effect of the 5e automatic.

while I only checked this one case, I did not see a code conflict with '5e equipped effects', and as long as the spells in the 5E automatic PHB version match the description of the PHB versions then all should generate correct.

ALSO like rob2e spell effects, as they use the same 'pre-parsed' custom effects modules, these 5e automatic PHB spells will not 're-parse' as it restores them to the default PHB structure, and looses the 'extra' hand edited version data.

Aridhro
April 23rd, 2021, 10:37
Hi Bratch9, was checking the forums on ways to upcast spells and found this post. Thanks for picking up my module. Returned the favor by picking up yours.
5 minute test with fireball looks good! Looks great in fact.
I'll do some extensive testing tonight.
I have one question, what do you mean by "looses the 'extra' hand edited version data in the post above this one.

viviolay
April 23rd, 2021, 19:32
Also can confirm this works really well with 5e automatic effects.

A trick I found to preserve the coding and get the upcast/spell tokens from your other module attached is to drag and drop the 5e Automatic effects spell that is currently on a characters sheet to make a duplicate. It forces the parsing but also preserves the effects coding without reverting to the phb version- so you get the custom hand edits and the spell token/upcast info added.

@Aridho - if instead of dragging and dropping to
make a duplicate you right click and use the parse option, it’ll clear your edits and instead replace it with the phb version of the spell. Doing the above method I described however preserves your coding and parses stuff to use bratch’s upcasting and spell tokens.

Of course, you can also just drag the spells from the 5e auto effects module and it will parse everything perfectly too. :)

Really like both of your extensions- thanks!

bratch9
April 24th, 2021, 12:53
Hi Bratch9, was checking the forums on ways to upcast spells and found this post. Thanks for picking up my module. Returned the favor by picking up yours.
5 minute test with fireball looks good! Looks great in fact.
I'll do some extensive testing tonight.
I have one question, what do you mean by "looses the 'extra' hand edited version data in the post above this one.

What I am expressing with 'loose the 'extra' hand edited' can be seen in the 'reparse.png' example attached...

In the '5E_Automatic_Effects_Players_Handbook.mod', the effects are a 'construct' made by dragging the original 'PHB' version onto a character sheet and then 'hand editing' these to add extra features. Once these have been done the character sheet in the db.xml is used as a 'cut'n'paste' source to make the actual 'module' part that is provided.

What this does is break 're-parse', as can be see in the png for the 'torch', the extra by hand edited in 'effect' for light will be 'lost' on a re-parse...

This is because 'powers' in the general term, normally from the PHB source do not have 'actions' defined. The act of dragging the 'spell/power', to the character sheet causes the 'parse' process to generate these 'actions'
ie effect/damage/cast items you get on the character sheet.

BUT once on the character sheet, to be able to edit these now... the rule set has a feature that if it finds 'actions' it does not re-parse when the character sheet is loaded... other wise any changes you make on the character sheet versions would be reset back to what is in the PHB description that was copied to the character sheet.

Modules like rob2e and this, 'use' the character load 'check for actions, dont parse, just COPY', stage of the rule set code... this allows these custom 'hand edited' versions with pre-defined 'actions', that are not part of the 'description' use during a parse, to exist and be copied to the character sheet when dragged on.

The more 'correct' way of doing these sorts of additions is to 'expand' the description parse system to look for extra items in the 'description' which then generates the 'actions' for the power/spell as required...

An example might be to add to the description of a spell..

'Spell causes 1d6 acid damage, and leaves a pool of light 10ft' ( This is an example and not properly worded... but to make the point. )

In the normal rule set parse... this would create only a 'damage 1d6 acid' action for this power.

The correct way would be to add an extension, like this one, that extends the parse system to look for 'Light [n]ft' in the description and then add an 'action' of 'effect 'Light: 10' to the character sheet.

If you see what I'm getting at..... this basically what my extension is doing.... its extending the parse to look for the 'at higher level' part of the spell description and creating the correct adjustment.

Due to this you can use my extension on 'any spell' if it is worded correct and it will generate the correct 'lvlN' extra lines as required..

What my extension does not do, is basically what these modules do... is 'HARD CODE' the effect list... this is why the re-parse does not work on rob2e and 5E_Automatic_Effects_Players_Handbook.mod...

This is why if you look on my extension page you can see the 'Damage parse structure,' section that lists,

eg, 'damage increases by DICE for each slot level above LEVEL[st,nd,rd,th]'

Because these are the words I'm looking for in the spell description to pick out the 'DICE' and the 'LEVEL' for the at higher level control.. I can then add the required extra damage/heal lines as required and this works on any spell that has the correct wording. The wording I use is mainly 'standard' to how the PHB expresses the 'at higher level' part of the description of the spell text.

Sorry, probably gone into way too much detail for your request... but I wanted to express that my extension is doing the much harder cases of processing the description to make the adjustments and so will work on any spell worded correctly and is not 'hard coding' a list of extra lines.

( I do have some hard coded spells, but only a few... and also the 5e rule set also has some hard coded spells... these mainly fall outside the 'normal' word layouts of the PHB so are simpler to hard code then adding loads of special case word search patterns for them.. )

-pete

bratch9
April 24th, 2021, 12:59
Also can confirm this works really well with 5e automatic effects.

A trick I found to preserve the coding and get the upcast/spell tokens from your other module attached is to drag and drop the 5e Automatic effects spell that is currently on a characters sheet to make a duplicate. It forces the parsing but also preserves the effects coding without reverting to the phb version- so you get the custom hand edits and the spell token/upcast info added.

@Aridho - if instead of dragging and dropping to
make a duplicate you right click and use the parse option, it’ll clear your edits and instead replace it with the phb version of the spell. Doing the above method I described however preserves your coding and parses stuff to use bratch’s upcasting and spell tokens.

Of course, you can also just drag the spells from the 5e auto effects module and it will parse everything perfectly too. :)

Really like both of your extensions- thanks!

Thanks for the comment.

yep re-dragging the 'shortcut' on the character sheet back onto the character sheet will 'copy' the items in the same way as when they are added from these custom source(s) (rob2e etc.. ). Because this all goes via the re-parse code, even the copy part, the 'spell tokens' code patches at the end of this process will 'update' and add the 'spell token'... while the act of asking for a re-parse causes all 'actions' to be deleted and re-added from the description text process. Which is why I always say do not re-parse rob2e modules etc... and if using my 'spell tokens' extension you might have to re-drag them onto your character..

Aridhro
April 24th, 2021, 23:21
Nice to see someone so passionate about his work. I dont mind that you went into detail.
About that reparsing thing, I noticed that you better not do it, but dont realise why you would need it as your upcast parsing works fine the moment you drag a spell to the action tab, preserving all other effects. The copy idea of Viviolay is a great idea if something did not parse.
Works perfectly and will advise to those who ask about upcasting. Why do the extra work if it can be this easy.

bratch9
April 26th, 2021, 11:41
Nice to see someone so passionate about his work. I dont mind that you went into detail.
About that reparsing thing, I noticed that you better not do it, but dont realise why you would need it as your upcast parsing works fine the moment you drag a spell to the action tab, preserving all other effects. The copy idea of Viviolay is a great idea if something did not parse.
Works perfectly and will advise to those who ask about upcasting. Why do the extra work if it can be this easy.

Yep the process of 'parsing' happens on drag from phb, drag back onto the character ( or other character... I think for the DM anyway. ) and also re-parse causes the parse to happen..

The difference is that 're-parse' first deletes all the actions and then call the parse process..

In the parse process, any defined 'actions' are copied over and the parse ends early... if the parse sees no actions then the description is used to generate them.

I'm thinking of adding a check like 'hold shift' on the re-parse to disable the 'delete current actions', which would allow the spell to flow down the re-parse without causing damage to the current actions list and then allow the spell token side to run and update the token etc..

Aridhro
May 1st, 2021, 20:45
Hi there,

I've just recently updated my thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects&p=597592&viewfull=1#post597592), saying customers we had to delete all descriptions from powers and replace them with a link to the official source books by Smiteworks, meeting Smiteworks requirements for their data usage.

But we found a solution, of which you can read about in the equipped effects forum thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59490-Equipped-Effects-Extension-(-ext-file)-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity&p=597522&viewfull=1#post597522).
This does impact compatibility with your extension, as yours directly tries to parse the description, which is no longer available.

I dont know if it even possible, but maybe you can use the data behind the link I always provide on the first line of every power description. A link to the spell from the official books. On the other hand the equipped effects extension creates a duplicate of that description, the moment you click the link to the power. So no need to click twice to get to the actual description. I really hope it is a viable possibility, as I really liked your extension.

bratch9
May 6th, 2021, 23:35
Hi there,

I've just recently updated my thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects&p=597592&viewfull=1#post597592), saying customers we had to delete all descriptions from powers and replace them with a link to the official source books by Smiteworks, meeting Smiteworks requirements for their data usage.

But we found a solution, of which you can read about in the equipped effects forum thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59490-Equipped-Effects-Extension-(-ext-file)-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity&p=597522&viewfull=1#post597522).
This does impact compatibility with your extension, as yours directly tries to parse the description, which is no longer available.

I dont know if it even possible, but maybe you can use the data behind the link I always provide on the first line of every power description. A link to the spell from the official books. On the other hand the equipped effects extension creates a duplicate of that description, the moment you click the link to the power. So no need to click twice to get to the actual description. I really hope it is a viable possibility, as I really liked your extension.

Updated so v3.0 will deep copy the provided first link in the spell/effect/power etc from the source book you reference. The result on your character sheet will look like a source book with your extra notes (if any) added to the bottom of the text. ( But might break a spell if it is supposed to have a link at the start !! )

This does not require the 'Equipped effects extension' to work, but is only processed when the spell/effect/power is dropped on the character sheet. The character sheet 'shortcut' copy will have full text PROVIDED you have the required source books loaded, just like the normal spell off the PHB would.

Note if you just 'look' at the spell/effect/power from the 'SPELLS' window from the right hand side selection, you will still see the link.. ( Unless you have the 'Equipped effects extension' enabled. )

Processing happens on drop on character, this includes drag-and-drop of a spell already on the character sheet back on to the sheet to duplicate it. So if you added a spell without the source book loaded, you can duplicate drop the character sheet spell back on and it will resolve the text, then you can delete the old version with the link from your character sheet.

NuclearMonkey
May 23rd, 2021, 16:57
I'm having a weird problem where with your extension loaded, and no other, dragging a spell to a character sheet causes two identical copies of the spell to appear on the sheet.

bratch9
May 23rd, 2021, 17:29
I'm having a weird problem where with your extension loaded, and no other, dragging a spell to a character sheet causes two identical copies of the spell to appear on the sheet.

Just done a very quick check with a new campaign and player's hand book, dragging 'fireball' onto a new character. I only got one copy.

Can you post a screen shot and confirm if you are using FGC or FGU and that you are using v3.1. It could be specific to the spell source you are using.

Thanks..

NuclearMonkey
May 23rd, 2021, 18:48
Attached startup and added knock spell from PHB. It made two copies.

bratch9
May 23rd, 2021, 19:49

I only get one copy when I apply that spell.

Can you delete the 2 copies, close FG, make a zip of the campaign... open the campaign and add the spell again and see if it add 2 copies again ? ( ie is repeatable )

If it does can you attach the zip of the campaign so I run the same check at my side to reproduce it. It could be a combination of the larger character sheet you have and maybe you imported it and some 'upgrade' happened or some thing. With the campaign data I can look at the action db.xml file to also see if anything looks 'odd' in the character sheet.

Thanks, Pete.

matjam
May 24th, 2021, 09:15
I get this same behaviour; when I load this extension and the spell tokens extension loaded at the same time.

edit; loaded 2.9 and don't get this issue.

bratch9
May 24th, 2021, 11:35
I get this same behaviour; when I load this extension and the spell tokens extension loaded at the same time.

edit; loaded 2.9 and don't get this issue.

I dont get this sort of issue with both extensions running in my test case area.

Can you let me know how 'consistent' this is, ie one double spell per 20 spells dragged on or 1 double spell for every spell dragged on...

are you dragging from the the 'spell' window, or using a different source like the character sheet ( or a different character sheet )

I dont know of any part of the code in the extension that would duplicate a spell, but it is possible the rule set has changed the 'flow' of spells to create a new edge case.

again, if you have a campaign that can reproduce this, please attache a before issue version and what i do to reproduce the duplicate.

thanks,

bratch9
May 24th, 2021, 11:38

From the screen shots you have a character with things like effect actions 'dodge'... which to me looks like this character is one from a game which did have many extensions on, and when you import it into just with my extension it is possible that something already encoded in the character is causing this issue.

can you try with a clean campaign and a new character, to see if you can replicate this..

if not then we can try and find which extension 'adds' something to the character in a format that might be causing this type of thing.

thanks.

matjam
May 25th, 2021, 04:24
A demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0QAsXUw_Ds

Campaign folder attached.

It does this without any other extensions loaded.

matjam
May 25th, 2021, 04:44
Ok, I think I figured it out; It's a difference between using the character wizard and constructing the character manually. Character Wizard characters demonstrate the bug, hand constructed ones do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG1T4L-SA4M

Have attached the campaign I created in this video.

bratch9
May 25th, 2021, 10:07
Ok, I think I figured it out; It's a difference between using the character wizard and constructing the character manually. Character Wizard characters demonstrate the bug, hand constructed ones do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG1T4L-SA4M

Have attached the campaign I created in this video.

Hi, Thanks both zips helped a lot. I can reproduce it with both of them.

As far the 'interesting' at the end of the video, the difference between hand created is that the spell go into a 'spell' power section... and the 'character wizard' created ( and your first character ) put the spells in an 'attribute' power section which then does not have your correct 'skill base' set up in it and is not going to follow the spell level tick boxes etc.

So I'd say both characters are both 'wrong' but thats not anything to do with spell damage extension.

I'll make an upload with the fix soon. ( Basically its was a ruleset change that is now returning a value that my patch was not, hence causing a double add in the onDrop, instead of it been told not to continue. )

Thanks for the extra effort for this.
-pete

EDIT: v3.2 has been updated and should fix the double spell issues. Let me know if you have any more issues.

matjam
May 26th, 2021, 00:11
OK so the duplication is gone but the actual upcasting isn't working now .. will put together a demonstration if I can replicate.

matjam
May 26th, 2021, 00:42
OK, so not a huge deal, but the the way the Character Wizard generates Spell groups seems not quite right? and the Cantrips section ends up with a weird number for the upcast - so 3 in my case. It doesn't affect anything. But if I set the casting level to 0, and drag another spell in, it goes to 3. Kinda weird.

Anyone having trouble with this extension should make sure their spells are in "Spell" categories and the names make sense.

matjam
May 26th, 2021, 01:00
some warnings while working on a fresh campaign.

[5/25/2021 4:20:46 PM] [WARNING] setValue: Recursive call terminated for (CONTROL_NUMBER) (castLevel)

bratch9
May 26th, 2021, 09:23
OK, so not a huge deal, but the the way the Character Wizard generates Spell groups seems not quite right? and the Cantrips section ends up with a weird number for the upcast - so 3 in my case. It doesn't affect anything. But if I set the casting level to 0, and drag another spell in, it goes to 3. Kinda weird.

Anyone having trouble with this extension should make sure their spells are in "Spell" categories and the names make sense.

Because its an 'action' group you can apply any level spell into that group, while the 'spell' group has special 'split' into level sections.. which is why I pointed out the character wizard made the character wrong. I thought it might have been specific to 'wizard' class but 'sorcerer' does the same.

Basically in the 'action' group due to 'mixed' levels I allow 1-20 for the cast level, in a 'spell' group I select the lowest as the level of the spells as they get split.

I've just made a new campaign by hand and with character wizard and the upcasting seemed to be working, it generated the extra lines in the spells and when i changed the upcast number it changed the damage.

If you have any extra information on how you setup/used the character that was not doing the upcast can you add some text and a campaign zip that says what you were doing. ( Video is not needed normally, if you are clear with your text.. )

Anyway my real work is starting, so will check in this evening to see if I need to make a further update.

( I'm not worried about the warning, I've seen it and it is caused because you can not pre-set an upcast level because the spell level is not known until you start to add spells... so normally 'onInit' when it adds the spells it has to 'adjust' the value which requires me to call the 'setValue', which due to callbacks to re-display the spell due to the changed value, now has to process an 'onUpdate' which also calls the 'setValue' to validate... so you end up in a recursive initial start as it tries to settle the first value. I could probably fix it if I wanted to merge in changes to a lot more of the spell code but then rule set changes become even harder to keep track of etc.. )

EDIT:..

in the above image I've added incorrect level 'teleport' spells into the 'action' groups made by the character wizard, this is not possible in the 'Spells' due to rule set. You will notice on the 'meta' that the 'action' group is called 'Spell (Sorcerer)(level 1)' without an 'ability' been set while the 'spells' meta gets the 'cha' ability and is only named 'Spells' but the sub groups end up as 'Spells (level 6)' due to the special rule set code to keep spells in the correct group header. ( Because all the 'Spells' are in one group, it is split under multiple header bars by the rule set code. )

Its also showing extra damage for up-cast value.

I dont know why FG have decided that the character wizard will make 'action' groups for the spells and to not put them in a 'Spells' section. ( My guess would be mult-class to keep them in different groups.. but I dont understand why they do not make it a 'group type spell' with a name 'Spells (Sorcerer)' and let the auto group system add the '(level n)' section to the group name.

vaughnlannister
June 4th, 2021, 16:50
Hey, I found an interference between equipped effect by Silentruin and Advanced Spell Damage by you, when both extension are running, with the latest build from 25th of May, it won't parse the 5e effects for NPCs in the Combat Tracker, could you maybe have a look? Thank you!

bratch9
June 4th, 2021, 19:07
Hey, I found an interference between equipped effect by Silentruin and Advanced Spell Damage by you, when both extension are running, with the latest build from 25th of May, it won't parse the 5e effects for NPCs in the Combat Tracker, could you maybe have a look? Thank you!

I will take a look, I know Silentruin was making changes on his extension that was causing conflicts, but I thought he had resolved them. ( I'll contact him and see if the issue is at his end or mine or if we need to do a joint solution to get both extensions working nice. )

If you have a simple campaign you can zip and attach, that would allow me to reproduce this as I dont follow the equipped effects extension so not sure what settings you might have configured etc..

I'll do a basic check and see if I can reproduce my end.

EDIT: I made a quick campaign and dragged on an NPC into the CT, I could change the cast level and the spell effects changed the dice rolls as required and seemed to roll these when used. This is with Advanced spell damage v3.2 and equipped effects v1.31

Could you make sure you are updated and re-check, if so can you post some screen shots+campaign zip ( if possible ), and give some information as to what you are seeing as wrong and how you created it etc.. Just some reproduction steps. ( if you do provide a campaign, let me know which npc is having issues + spell etc... just so I can look direct at an error. )

vaughnlannister
June 4th, 2021, 20:00
Hey, I just copied the campaign folder and zipped it up, hopefully it works for you to reproduce it.
The NPC needs to be removed and re-added to the Combat Tracker for the proper 5e Effects to get parsed in the combat tracker, for the cantrip resistance highlighted in the screenshots. So the cantrip isn't parsed if I have, Equipped Effect + Advanced Spell Damage On.
Though it is parsed with only Equipped Effect On , though you have to add and remove the NPC for the effect to get parsed.

Thanks for picking this up so quick!

bratch9
June 4th, 2021, 20:28
Hey, I just copied the campaign folder and zipped it up, hopefully it works for you to reproduce it.
The NPC needs to be removed and re-added to the Combat Tracker for the proper 5e Effects to get parsed in the combat tracker, for the cantrip resistance highlighted in the screenshots. So the cantrip isn't parsed if I have, Equipped Effect + Advanced Spell Damage On.
Though it is parsed with only Equipped Effect On , though you have to add and remove the NPC for the effect to get parsed.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I was expecting it to be a cast at a level issue, this looks like something else.

SilentRuin
June 4th, 2021, 21:33
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I was expecting it to be a cast at a level issue, this looks like something else.

I think equipped effects broke this in how I'm overriding parseNPCpower. Give me a bit I think I can resolve it.

SilentRuin
June 5th, 2021, 00:48

See my thread Vaughlannister, I just put out a delivery which I hope works around my stuff not being able to translate NPC powers with this extension running.

razzed1
August 31st, 2021, 18:08
Not sure what I am doing wrong here, but the Cast Level in the spell descriptions for NPCs is not showing up and using the CT to upcast for NPCs is not working for me. PCs are fine, though.

bratch9
August 31st, 2021, 19:58
Not sure what I am doing wrong here, but the Cast Level in the spell descriptions for NPCs is not showing up and using the CT to upcast for NPCs is not working for me. PCs are fine, though.

Thanks for your questions, in my test build I do not see this sort of issue with NPC.

On the cast.jpg you can see that I have set the NPC to 5th level casting level. On the CT sheet example I have marked the fireball showing its extra dice it will roll. On the NPC sheet if you scroll it down to the description, see fireball.jpg, it should still show the basic '8d6 fire damage' which will highlight to roll but it will roll the 10d6 for a 5th level cast. I could change either the NPC cast level or the CT cast level they stay in sync for me. ( Well when you open the NPC sheet for the first time it will reset cast level to 1. )

Do you have other extension enabled ? Could one of these be causing a conflict ?

Could you check on a clean new campaign with just this one extension ?

Maybe post some screen shots so I can see if the correct 'box' for cast level is showing up, or if its just not functioning.

Did you have the NPC on the CT before your enabled the extension ? ( Because it adds extra information to allow the process during the add to npc stage, which might be why it was not working ? )

I do have a slight update in the works, nothing major, but I tested with the dmsGuild released version for this test. Just to make sure that updates to FG and ruleset changes had not caused and issue between the release of the extension and now.

If you have any more information, could you post it/images etc.. and I can see if I can spot something that might be wrong.

( My guess would be already added NPC before extension enabled, or probably a conflict with a different extension. )

razzed1
August 31st, 2021, 20:31
I will actually go through this again first because I just tested it again (in the same campaign I did before) and got it to work. So maybe I was glitch-y?

bratch9
August 31st, 2021, 22:08
I will actually go through this again first because I just tested it again (in the same campaign I did before) and got it to work. So maybe I was glitch-y?

if you do find a 'way' to break it, please let me know.

Tanklin Kregin
September 30th, 2021, 02:11
Hello Bratch
For spells (not cantrips), I can't click on anything to change the level of the spell that he wants to cast, it set to highest cast-able lvl for the char. I have to manually change it (type in) for player as he manages his spells very carefully. Then I have to do it the next time he wants spell at a different lvl. When I click the magnifying glass to see the different levels for the spell, I can't change anything. Is it possible to do this, without your ext. it was the opposite way, everything set to the lowest lvl of the spell and I had to upscale it it for the player. Any help would be appreciated.

bratch9
October 1st, 2021, 17:38
Hello Bratch
For spells (not cantrips), I can't click on anything to change the level of the spell that he wants to cast, it set to highest cast-able lvl for the char. I have to manually change it (type in) for player as he manages his spells very carefully. Then I have to do it the next time he wants spell at a different lvl. When I click the magnifying glass to see the different levels for the spell, I can't change anything. Is it possible to do this, without your ext. it was the opposite way, everything set to the lowest lvl of the spell and I had to upscale it it for the player. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you split this into more details and maybe some images ?

Are you saying with advanced spell damage enabled, that your player spells are listed as max all the time ? ( Can you post an image ? )

Do you have a bunch of extensions enabled, its possible one is causing a conflict.

If you are not using my extension, the FG way to 'upcast' is by dragging off the spell damage so you see the 'cursor of dice' that it is going to roll and then you can right click to add more dice. Obviously it has no checks and can be used of spells that dont even have upcast options. As this is a 'general' when you drag dice about you can add more of that type with the right mouse click.

-pete

anathemort
October 12th, 2021, 18:06
Can you confirm if this extension works with the Requested Rolls extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70407-5E-Requested-Rolls)? I am evaluating picking this up to replace the conflicting Spell Automation extension, and that conflict is a deciding question for me.

bratch9
October 15th, 2021, 13:28
Can you confirm if this extension works with the Requested Rolls extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70407-5E-Requested-Rolls)? I am evaluating picking this up to replace the conflicting Spell Automation extension, and that conflict is a deciding question for me.

I had a very quick play with the extensions and I seems to be working fine with AdvancedSpellDamage, from what I can see if only rolls skills and att/checks and does not roll spell things.

Unless I'm missing something, do you have a 'specific' type of roll that you would like me to check for compatibility ?

Note Advanced spell damage does not do the automation of what 'spell automation' does, it only parses out the 'at higher level' and allows you to cast at a higher level, but you still have to use the 'buttons' of the spell for the cast/damage/heal/effect etc... as defined by the spell.

Hope this helps

-pete

anathemort
October 15th, 2021, 20:45
I had a very quick play with the extensions and I seems to be working fine with AdvancedSpellDamage, from what I can see if only rolls skills and att/checks and does not roll spell things.

Unless I'm missing something, do you have a 'specific' type of roll that you would like me to check for compatibility ?

If you have the "PC rolls saves" option turned ON, it will prompt for concentration checks as well as targeted saves from things like NPC fireballs. Was your PC able to get spell save prompts okay?

Note Advanced spell damage does not do the automation of what 'spell automation' does, it only parses out the 'at higher level' and allows you to cast at a higher level, but you still have to use the 'buttons' of the spell for the cast/damage/heal/effect etc... as defined by the spell.

Yeah, that's okay! I think I'm the only one at my table that understands the other way anyway, haha

bratch9
October 16th, 2021, 16:24
If you have the "PC rolls saves" option turned ON, it will prompt for concentration checks as well as targeted saves from things like NPC fireballs. Was your PC able to get spell save prompts okay?

Yeah, that's okay! I think I'm the only one at my table that understands the other way anyway, haha

I'll take a look at "pc rolls saves', as I dont know how the extension works.. which is why I asked for a specific case to check for you..

-pete

anathemort
October 16th, 2021, 16:44
I'll take a look at "pc rolls saves', as I dont know how the extension works.. which is why I asked for a specific case to check for you..

-pete

I understand! The extension adds this option "Prompt owner to roll saves" - for each client. When this is Off (default), NPC spells needing saves just happen as normal. With it On, you get no activity in the chat box and the client gets a popup with a button to activate the roll.

Here's an example of the options section. GM sees all option toggles, PC sees them all but can only turn the PC one On/Off.

This post on the other thread shows the issue that occurs:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70407-5E-Requested-Rolls&p=622996&viewfull=1#post622996

If your extension does not have a conflict, your PC will see the popup window asking for the save and there will be no "Save [1] FAILURE" in the chat box.

bratch9
October 16th, 2021, 16:56

Is this what you want to know ? ( See con_save.jpg )

This is a player with 'sprit guardians' set up as concentration, taking damage from a 'giant spider', with the player auto popup for the 'roll concentration' ?

Seems to work, unless this is not what you are looking to check for ?

-pete

anathemort
October 16th, 2021, 18:06
Is this what you want to know ? ( See con_save.jpg )

This is a player with 'sprit guardians' set up as concentration, taking damage from a 'giant spider', with the player auto popup for the 'roll concentration' ?

Seems to work, unless this is not what you are looking to check for ?

-pete

Yeah, that looks good. Can you try one more thing? Put something like a spellcaster or abominable yeti NPC and have it target the PC with a saving throw effect (like fireball or chilling gaze). You should get a similar prompt as for concentration but for the save type instead.

bratch9
October 16th, 2021, 18:35
Yeah, that looks good. Can you try one more thing? Put something like a spellcaster or abominable yeti NPC and have it target the PC with a saving throw effect (like fireball or chilling gaze). You should get a similar prompt as for concentration but for the save type instead.

Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong.

with only 'request roll' the chill save does not pop up for the character. 49502

which is the same with both extensions.. 49503

Is this the expected, sounds like you expect a popup for the player to roll the 'constitution' save ?

Can you see what I might be doing wrong. ( I was expecting it to work in both cases or at least work with just 'request roll' enabled to see what it should look like. )

( Sorry about to start our game session in about 20 mins, so out of time tonight to do more tests. Will pick this up on sunday or probably monday when I'm back home. )

-pete

anathemort
October 17th, 2021, 01:16
Is this the expected, sounds like you expect a popup for the player to roll the 'constitution' save ?

Can you see what I might be doing wrong. ( I was expecting it to work in both cases or at least work with just 'request roll' enabled to see what it should look like. )

Yeah, I would expect a popup for the player. You're using a second FG client in these new examples. The PC option is per-client; did you double-check to make sure the player client has it set to On?

No worries on the timing, thank you for testing this out!

anathemort
October 17th, 2021, 01:17
One tangential question - do you have plans to put this extension in the Forge?

bratch9
October 17th, 2021, 05:16
Yeah, I would expect a popup for the player. You're using a second FG client in these new examples. The PC option is per-client; did you double-check to make sure the player client has it set to On?

No worries on the timing, thank you for testing this out!

Seems to be working with the client option turned on.

shows the popup,

and results,

Hope this helps,
-pete

bratch9
October 17th, 2021, 05:24
One tangential question - do you have plans to put this extension in the Forge?

Due to the DMsGuild license its not possible to bring this extension onto the forge.

Only 'some' DMsGuild extensions were flagged by WotC to be removed from DMsGuild and only those were given permission to move to forge. ( just my 'spell tokens' extension was flagged by WotC and given permission to be moved to forge. )

I did make a request to DMsGuild to allow me to move this and my other extensions over to the forge, but this was turned down.

-pete

anathemort
October 17th, 2021, 17:57
Thanks for verifying all that, pete. I'm going to pick up this extension on DMsGuild, looking forward to it :)

anathemort
October 17th, 2021, 18:24
This is great so far. I especially like that it can help reduce the noise around Divine Smite :)

I found that the extension can't parse the Chaos Bolt spell; the higher level wording is quite unique, and of course the damage is not determined until after you roll:

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, each target takes 1d6 extra damage of the type rolled for each slot level above 1st.

bratch9
October 17th, 2021, 21:58
This is great so far. I especially like that it can help reduce the noise around Divine Smite :)

I found that the extension can't parse the Chaos Bolt spell; the higher level wording is quite unique, and of course the damage is not determined until after you roll:

Yep the 'normal ruleset' parse of this is poor which makes it an issue. I have a bunch of 'custom' replacements in for some of the spells that do not parse very well. I'll look to add this one in, so that you get an upcast effect line for each type. It will not be able to roll the type, but you could roll a d8 and then pick the required one. ( Would end up looking like chromatic orb )

Note,

while a lot of spells will generate upcast version, a number of 'odd' worded ones do not and sometimes the 'by hand' changes of the likes of rob2e and grim press versions dont always create upcast version if they have changed the damage/heal/effect set so it does not match what the pure 'ruleset' would have parsed. ( As I have to run the ruleset parse and try and 'match' the damage lines into the 'by hand' version which I only do if they match up. ) Otherwise I'd end up basically having to hand build lots of spell.

I'm not a fan of the 'by hand' version of rob2e/grim press, as it does not allow you to write your own spells and have it work. Which is why I publish the 'extra' word search layouts in the DMsGuild page of this extension, so you can check if you have a word in the wrong place. Much the same way the FG lists these search lay outs at the bottom of the 5e effect manual page for the normal spell parse system.

bratch9
October 17th, 2021, 22:04
Thanks for verifying all that, pete. I'm going to pick up this extension on DMsGuild, looking forward to it :)

If you spot a conflict with 'more' use, let me know and I'll take a look. But it looks to be doing most things fine.

-pete

anathemort
October 17th, 2021, 23:51
Yep the 'normal ruleset' parse of this is poor which makes it an issue. I have a bunch of 'custom' replacements in for some of the spells that do not parse very well. I'll look to add this one in, so that you get an upcast effect line for each type. It will not be able to roll the type, but you could roll a d8 and then pick the required one. ( Would end up looking like chromatic orb )

That makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't ask you to put a lot of effort in; it was fairly easy to just add a bunch of lvlX lines myself for that one spell and it works great. I let the player roll it untyped and make adjustments based on resistances once they decide, anyway.

If you spot a conflict with 'more' use, let me know and I'll take a look. But it looks to be doing most things fine.

Agreed, sure thing! Next game is on Wednesday and my sorcerer player will more than likely be upcasting some spells in their devil fight :)

razzed1
November 9th, 2021, 19:20
Bratch9,
Does this extension or can this extension work with Innate Spellcasting? Or is there a way to make it roughly functionally the same?
The newer WotC resources that will be coming out uses Innate wording for the casters now, and this will make it difficult (mainly for cantrips, as other spells now are not designed to be used at higher levels by NPCs anymore it seems).

Thanks!

bratch9
November 10th, 2021, 11:07
Bratch9,
Does this extension or can this extension work with Innate Spellcasting? Or is there a way to make it roughly functionally the same?
The newer WotC resources that will be coming out uses Innate wording for the casters now, and this will make it difficult (mainly for cantrips, as other spells now are not designed to be used at higher levels by NPCs anymore it seems).

Thanks!

Not sure what will happen with the new wording, will have to wait and see how this changes ( if any ) the 5e ruleset. But if spell now do not have slots and are listed in Innate then these are designed to be pre-configured. ie if the npc can cast magic missile at higher than 1st level, I'd expect that to be listed as a different entry now. ( eg, magic missile 1st level 3/day, magic missile 2nd level 1/day etc.. ) I'd also expect that a listed cantrip on a CR5 gets that cantrip at the level 5 specific increased damage.

I've not seen any of the new layout text, and not sure if any are in fantasy grounds yet. ( Do you known of examples in Fantasy grounds yet ? )

I will keep an eye out but I suspect with this simplifications and NPC having more magic attacks then magic spell casting/slots... that this new layout would fully define the exact magic damage expected for that NPC and so would not need any ability to 'upcast'.

-pete

anathemort
November 23rd, 2021, 17:47
I've identified a conflict with Capital Gains (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?71406-5E-Capital-Gains), described here. Hoping you can pair with MeAndUnique to resolve it!

https://github.com/MeAndUnique/CapitalGains/issues/1

bratch9
November 24th, 2021, 11:19
I've identified a conflict with Capital Gains (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?71406-5E-Capital-Gains), described here. Hoping you can pair with MeAndUnique to resolve it!

Thanks for reporting this, When I get chance I'll have a go to set this up and see what is causing the issue.

My guess is that ASD decode of some of the power message data is now not valid due to the new terms added by capital gains, and this then causes the formatting to break which is then passed down to capital gains in an invalid layout ( ie missing bits of the data.. hence the error. )

I've not had change to look into the 'big' ruleset change due in a couple of weeks time, so I might not get to look at this until after then. I'm busy with work, so not had much time to deal with extension coding.

If I get a bit of time I'll do a test to see if its a quick fix or not.

-pete

bratch9
November 28th, 2021, 14:43

I've updated advanced spell damage and seems to be evaluating the CG effect lines and clears up the initial script error when character is open.

It does require CG to load after ASD, so I'd request a change to <loadorder>120</loadorder>

-pete

anathemort
November 28th, 2021, 20:15
Thanks so much for the rapid attention on this, pete!

bratch9
November 29th, 2021, 11:47
Thanks so much for the rapid attention on this, pete!

You are welcome, until the loadorder in CG is changed feel free to edit that in your extensions folder.

I've not checked everything in CG, as I dont have all the mods its links with etc. But if you get chance to check out CG/ASD if you spot anything not working with either please let me know.

-pete

anathemort
November 29th, 2021, 18:34
You are welcome, until the loadorder in CG is changed feel free to edit that in your extensions folder.

I've not checked everything in CG, as I dont have all the mods its links with etc. But if you get chance to check out CG/ASD if you spot anything not working with either please let me know.

-pete

MeAndUnique published an update to take care of that end, and I've tested with both extensions and all seems well now! I will keep an eye out for any hiccups but thanks again to both of you :)

DarkEiraStar
March 30th, 2022, 16:37
I've noticed that this isn't working with Chaos Bolt (XGE) or Tearing Claws and Rainbow Beam from Elminster's Guide to Magic

bratch9
March 31st, 2022, 10:50
I've noticed that this isn't working with Chaos Bolt (XGE) or Tearing Claws and Rainbow Beam from Elminster's Guide to Magic

Added to my list to look at.

thanks, pete

Seliathas
June 17th, 2022, 10:49
This extension has problems with grimm press polymorphism extension.

[6/17/2022 11:46:47 AM] s'GM(true) -> manager_polymorphism:PolymorphActivated; No polymorphism_originator DB entry found - CT node (combattracker.list.id-00002) not ready for polymorphism process.'
[6/17/2022 11:46:47 AM] [WARNING] window: Unable to locate control (wounds) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (hptemp) in windowclass (ct_entry)
[6/17/2022 11:46:47 AM] [WARNING] window: Unable to locate control (wounds) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (hptotal) in windowclass (ct_entry)
[6/17/2022 11:46:48 AM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_power_asd.lua"]:1449: attempt to index local 'sPowerName' (a nil value)

Edit: It might also be their equipped effects that this extensions fails with and that way fails with polymorphism

razzed1
June 18th, 2022, 21:14
I also started getting this error today. Every time I moused over an NPC description it would give me this. The NPC was NOT showing any actions in the CT.

bratch9
June 19th, 2022, 12:19
I also started getting this error today. Every time I moused over an NPC description it would give me this. The NPC was NOT showing any actions in the CT.

I find this very very interesting, since the error says its an issue on line 72... and the source file for this file in my extension only have 49 lines in it ????

Could it be some other extension that has 'duplicated' and 'extended' the file for some reason ? ( Or maybe its just FG giving a bad line number.. )

I'll look a bit further, but can you please try this on a clean campaign with just the official extension, and report back if you find an extension combination that brings this back.

-pete

bratch9
June 19th, 2022, 12:23

[6/17/2022 11:46:47 AM] s'GM(true) -> manager_polymorphism:PolymorphActivated; No polymorphism_originator DB entry found - CT node (combattracker.list.id-00002) not ready for polymorphism process.'
[6/17/2022 11:46:47 AM] [WARNING] window: Unable to locate control (wounds) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (hptemp) in windowclass (ct_entry)
[6/17/2022 11:46:47 AM] [WARNING] window: Unable to locate control (wounds) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (hptotal) in windowclass (ct_entry)
[6/17/2022 11:46:48 AM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_power_asd.lua"]:1449: attempt to index local 'sPowerName' (a nil value)

Edit: It might also be their equipped effects that this extensions fails with and that way fails with polymorphism

I'll take a look as I'm sure the at least one of the polymorph extensions was compatible. So maybe it or as you say maybe equipped effects has nested through a change that is causing an issue.

But this looks like something that has merged bad into the class and then left/removed the link point that ASD then attaches onto... But I dont see anybody wanting to remove the 'sPowerName' element from the effects class...

So looks like an extensions combination class merge issue.

I'll see if I can replicate it.

-pete

bratch9
June 19th, 2022, 12:32

Just done some tests with a player and higher casting, and adding a NPC and using the higher casting and the npc sheet and CT tracker upcasts and all seems to work fine without any errors.

This is a clean campaign, new character... PHD+Strahd and tested with baba lysaga as I know that npc has the very common fireball spell... which i used on the player and npc side to check the casts at 9th level generate the required 14d6 dice and normal casts generate 8d6 etc..

As I've said, line 72 does not exist in my version of that file, so maybe a different extension has 'borrowed' the code to extend it. It would be nice to know which as I might be better to solve the issue with a proper integration instead of a bodge intergration.

-pete

bratch9
June 19th, 2022, 12:57

While not 100% sure this is the grimm press polymorphism, see attached below, i think it is.. ( If not I dont have the one you are using, can you provide some screen shots. )

I did a quick configuration and changed an NPC and a player with the extensions and all seemed fine without out.

I dont use equipped effect so maybe a configuration of that might start to generate the issue.

Could you provide more information, test on a clean campaign with just these couple of extensions enabled... to try and see if its a more complex extension conflict that we need to track down etc..

at the moment I dont have the information required to replicate this issue, so further details are needed. ( Feel free at attach a campaign zip into the forum, or DM me a dropbox type link if you have privacy issues... or create a clean test campaign you can attach etc.. )

Thanks, Pete

bratch9
June 19th, 2022, 13:01
Just done some tests with a player and higher casting, and adding a NPC and using the higher casting and the npc sheet and CT tracker upcasts and all seems to work fine without any errors.

This is a clean campaign, new character... PHD+Strahd and tested with baba lysaga as I know that npc has the very common fireball spell... which i used on the player and npc side to check the casts at 9th level generate the required 14d6 dice and normal casts generate 8d6 etc..

As I've said, line 72 does not exist in my version of that file, so maybe a different extension has 'borrowed' the code to extend it. It would be nice to know which as I might be better to solve the issue with a proper integration instead of a bodge intergration.

-pete

Older version of the extension has a longer version of this file... so maybe you are just not upto date.. v3.3 is the current latest versions.

-pete

Seliathas
June 19th, 2022, 14:46
While not 100% sure this is the grimm press polymorphism, see attached below, i think it is.. ( If not I dont have the one you are using, can you provide some screen shots. )

I did a quick configuration and changed an NPC and a player with the extensions and all seemed fine without out.

I dont use equipped effect so maybe a configuration of that might start to generate the issue.

Could you provide more information, test on a clean campaign with just these couple of extensions enabled... to try and see if its a more complex extension conflict that we need to track down etc..

at the moment I dont have the information required to replicate this issue, so further details are needed. ( Feel free at attach a campaign zip into the forum, or DM me a dropbox type link if you have privacy issues... or create a clean test campaign you can attach etc.. )

Thanks, Pete

Fun fact I cant duplicate it on a clean campaign either. Any Ideas? there must be something thats happening to do this? Ill send a copy of the campaign when I get it uploaded somewhere. But know it seems that the problem is actually somewhere else then in those extensions

razzed1
June 19th, 2022, 16:57

-pete

Thanks for the reply! I did some testing and cannot find the source of the extension problem, but I CAN make it go away by changing one of my options (I believe it was EE "Translate NPC Powers". Weirdly enough, I turn it off and the problem goes away, then I turn it back on...and it stays gone. I will try to do a little more testing later to try and verify this.

bratch9
June 19th, 2022, 18:31
Fun fact I cant duplicate it on a clean campaign either. Any Ideas? there must be something thats happening to do this? Ill send a copy of the campaign when I get it uploaded somewhere. But know it seems that the problem is actually somewhere else then in those extensions

Many 'updates' can cause dirty database items to exist, as rulesets/modules and extensions update and change over time... sometimes 'odd' things can show up that are next to impossible to replicate.

Even with a copy of the campaign, while I have a lot of extensions that most people use, its possible that without the exact extension set I still dont get the issues. Even difference between windows/linux/mac versions and versions of each of these could cause a difference. ( very slim on the difference windows versions.. ) But so many things could be a factor.

It could be as simple as a database items that is classed as a 'number' but actually has a 'string' in it.. or one of the compound route classes like 'windowinstance' that got confused from a ruleset update.

Do you have any idea when it was working and when it started giving errors. As that might relate to a ruleset update or an extension date update.

Its also possible that if you delete the NPC's/player's off the CT and clean that down that adding things back in cleans it up and you never see the issue again.

It does sound like a polymorph that got 'lost', maybe the return cleanup failed in some way and left some nodes not returned as expected.

Sometimes getting to know the db.xml in a text editor and knowing what the correct things should look like, allows for a look at the data been loaded and an idea of what got broken. ( Or a node to just delete to clean out.. ) But this can get complex and I understand most people dont have the skill/will to go looking into the actual database files to fix things up.

Let me know if you if upload it some place... or zip with a password and add it to the forum, and DM me the password if that helps.

I'm happy to take a look, but I do think it will just be a broken database node that happened some how and is not repeatable... This sometimes is all it is...

-pete

bratch9
June 19th, 2022, 18:33
Thanks for the reply! I did some testing and cannot find the source of the extension problem, but I CAN make it go away by changing one of my options (I believe it was EE "Translate NPC Powers". Weirdly enough, I turn it off and the problem goes away, then I turn it back on...and it stays gone. I will try to do a little more testing later to try and verify this.

Could be that the exact wording of an effect on a player/npc changed when you turned it off and that resolved the issue.

With so little information and now the in-ability to replicate it at your side or mine... its going to be hard to track....

I'm sure at some point some in your group will re-add the effect that caused the issue and we can look at that and understand what effect combinations in the effects strings does not flow correctly in the extensions...

-pete

houseofdexter
July 21st, 2022, 20:15
[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/string_powerdesc_asd.lua"]:10: attempt to call global 'getPowerNode' (a nil value)

Getting this error when the NPC applies Weapon or Spell Damage to a PC. I don't get the error when the PC applies Weapon Damage to the NPC. Note neither PC or NPC are using effects or spells.

bratch9
July 21st, 2022, 21:14
[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/string_powerdesc_asd.lua"]:10: attempt to call global 'getPowerNode' (a nil value)

Getting this error when the NPC applies Weapon or Spell Damage to a PC. I don't get the error when the PC applies Weapon Damage to the NPC. Note neither PC or NPC are using effects or spells.

V3.4 should fix this issue for you.

Thanks for reporting it.

-pete

MrDDT
July 22nd, 2022, 02:15
Thanks B9

GGCosmos
July 29th, 2022, 15:51
When ever I load an npc with spells into the combat tracker, I get this error below and the NPC stats in the tracker are a bit messed up. I think this extension is causing this. Could you look into it?
[7/29/2022 4:48:27 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_power_asd.lua"]:1972: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'modifier' (a nil value)

bratch9
July 29th, 2022, 16:28
When ever I load an npc with spells into the combat tracker, I get this error below and the NPC stats in the tracker are a bit messed up. I think this extension is causing this. Could you look into it?
[7/29/2022 4:48:27 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_power_asd.lua"]:1972: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'modifier' (a nil value)

Just checked with a couple of npc, like banshee, acolyte, baba lysaga and do not have this issue.

Could you provide a screen shot(s), and or which NPC name you are dragging, and which version of FG Unity/classic, and extension versions. ( This and others you have loaded ? )

Could you try this with just this extensions, if you have others loaded it could be a conflict, and this will narrow it down.

A number of changes to damage/heal/effects in the rulesets over the last couple of updates releases, might have caused a new conflict if you have a mix of updated extensions loaded or not.

I'd like to tract this down, from the line of code I could 'protect' against this issue, but I'd like to track why its a nil value as it could be caused earlier in the code and this just happens to be the first 'use' of the value.

Thanks, Pete

EDIT:
Just looked at the function in my extension and the ruleset version that it is based off. These match between my usage and the ruleset, so I'd expect the ruleset to also fail with this error on that npc. Can you try disabling just my extension and trying that NPC to see if now you get the error in the ruleset version of the code. This could be a conflict with a different extension not setting this data correctly, or it could be a mal-formed NPC you are using. Please add as much information as possible to allow me to track it down with your help.

Also, please try in a new clean campaign with just my extension and basic player handbook, monster manual NPC, if you still get the issue please attach a zip of the campaign and which npc is causing the issue. And also if its still causing the issue with my extension not enabled. ( As it could be a mistake in the NPC source data it self etc.. )

GGCosmos
July 30th, 2022, 03:34
Tried this extension on a new campaign before writing you. I tried it with the necromancer from the 5e Volo's Guide to Monsters. It works normal when the extension isn't loaded but throws the error when it is.

For further infos, I uploaded the compiled log zip to my OneDrive if you want to inspect it more closely.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ash_ecMvYg_Gh_BgqnWOnC60s0Zleg?e=drBDjx
Necro with Ext: 53797
Necro without Ext: 53798

bratch9
July 30th, 2022, 11:50
Tried this extension on a new campaign before writing you. I tried it with the necromancer from the 5e Volo's Guide to Monsters. It works normal when the extension isn't loaded but throws the error when it is.

For further infos, I uploaded the compiled log zip to my OneDrive if you want to inspect it more closely.

Thanks, I'll try and replicate it with this extra information.

( Just updated my fantasy grounds and seen a number of other extensions getting updates, so looks like a number of us have had to catch up with ruleset changes.. )

-pete

bratch9
July 30th, 2022, 15:13

v3.5 released should clear up this issue.

-pete

FGUDM
August 2nd, 2022, 23:55
when using Advanced effects with this extension, adding an NPC with effect features into the combat tracker will cause those effects to duplicate

anathemort
August 8th, 2022, 21:16
I've noticed an issue with group initiative cropping up. Despite having auto grouping enabled, NPCs added to the CT get a random roll instead of grouping. This happens only with v3.5 loaded in an otherwise clean 5E campaign.

bratch9
August 28th, 2022, 20:03
when using Advanced effects with this extension, adding an NPC with effect features into the combat tracker will cause those effects to duplicate

I've noticed an issue with group initiative cropping up. Despite having auto grouping enabled, NPCs added to the CT get a random roll instead of grouping. This happens only with v3.5 loaded in an otherwise clean 5E campaign.

V3.6 should fix both these issues. ( Sorry on the delay getting to these, I've been taking a break from all programming.. )

Also V3.6 requires the B9's common core and has a warning popup. Which also make this update FG Unity as a requirement.

-pete

anathemort
October 19th, 2022, 18:17
Hello, there is a conflict with the Temporal Fixation (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?74159-CoreRPG-Temporal-Fixation) extension. That one has the FIXINIT effect that locks initiative to a specified number. It technically works but the initiative number shown in the CT is wrong, and only when this extension and that one are loaded together. It'd be great if you could collab with MeAndUnique (Discord MeAndUnique#6805) on a fix!

Morenu
October 20th, 2022, 02:01
Don't suppose there is any chance of making a CoreRPG or PF1e version of this is there?

bratch9
October 20th, 2022, 11:30
Don't suppose there is any chance of making a CoreRPG or PF1e version of this is there?

I'm not even sure how that would look... CoreRPG does not define much about a spell structure, and if I recall don't PF spells already have different spells for different levels ? ( Or im thinking of starfinder... I've not had coffee yet !! )

The basic concept probably could be done, ie adding the 'lvl[n]' processing into the damage/heal text of an effect. But a lot of this extensions is actually the parsing of the text in a spell for the 'at higher level' and processing the wording to create the required result. ( And 5e lumps this into one spell text description... I'd prefer to see multiple spells like in other systems to higher level casting. )

I'll think about it but its not a ruleset I use.

-pete

bratch9
October 20th, 2022, 11:31
Hello, there is a conflict with the Temporal Fixation (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?74159-CoreRPG-Temporal-Fixation) extension. That one has the FIXINIT effect that locks initiative to a specified number. It technically works but the initiative number shown in the CT is wrong, and only when this extension and that one are loaded together. It'd be great if you could collab with MeAndUnique (Discord MeAndUnique#6805) on a fix!

I've just grabbed this extension off forge from the link you provided, thanks..

I'll take a look and see which extension is conflicting with which. Is possible mine sits on top of this one and I can deal with conflict, or it might be the other way and MeAndUnique might have to fix it...

-pete

bratch9
October 20th, 2022, 12:02

I've had a quick look, and I'm either not using the extension correct or it has other bugs, but it seems it does not keep the FIXINIT all the time anyway !!

When I added the effect onto a creature, it did set its init value to the one in the effect... But on a 'roll initiative' menu selection it just rolls its own initiative anyway. ( See attached.. )

As you can see I only have this one extension enabled on this screen shot, as I like to replicate the issue first to understand it. But since it already is failing in basic testing on its own, and its a new(ish) extensions, my guess its its still settling.

I'll do some tests with my extension also added, as I'd guess even adding the initial effect might not set the init value. Is this the case you are seeing, or is it more like my attached that after a roll init it has invalid values ?

-pete

EDIT: tested with my extension also loaded, and see the same issue as without...

When adding the effect onto a creature its init value is set as expected.

And then on a roll init the init value changes, same as without my extension.

So either im using the extension wrong, or its got a setting I've not configured ?

But to me it looks like just a bug in the original extensions.. Unless you are reporting a different failure mode when combined with my extension.

-pete

anathemort
October 20th, 2022, 17:45
Hi pete,
Thanks for digging into it. Your conclusion about the menu reroll interaction is correct, and M&U is looking into it.

However, let's throw another extension into the mix: Advanced Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)), which lets me prepopulate effects on the NPC sheet before it lands on the CT. When I use this and set FIXINIT for a NPC (such as a lair action NPC always locked at 20), and drop the record onto the CT, the order is correct but the displayed number is incorrect only when this spell damage extension is included as well.

bratch9
October 21st, 2022, 10:48
Hi pete,
Thanks for digging into it. Your conclusion about the menu reroll interaction is correct, and M&U is looking into it.

However, let's throw another extension into the mix: Advanced Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)), which lets me prepopulate effects on the NPC sheet before it lands on the CT. When I use this and set FIXINIT for a NPC (such as a lair action NPC always locked at 20), and drop the record onto the CT, the order is correct but the displayed number is incorrect only when this spell damage extension is included as well.

Thanks, I'll take a look at this combination.

With the 4.3 drop I'm expecting a few conflict issues to show up and the odd glitch.

Also the effects dont normally evaluate on 'add npc' type, so I guess thats forced in with the extensions, so probably just requires me to check and call into the extension to re-link that bit of code. As my extension can skip some of the ruleset code due to how it has to interact, so its probably a couple line fix once I figure out just what is going on.

-pete

bratch9
October 21st, 2022, 13:30
Hi pete,

v3.7 should fix the 'advanced effects' with 'temporal fixation' extension when dragging on NPC.

-pete

anathemort
October 21st, 2022, 22:38
v3.7 should fix the 'advanced effects' with 'temporal fixation' extension when dragging on NPC.

-pete

It does, thanks for the quick fix :)

Fingersome
February 12th, 2023, 04:49
It seems like, with the latest update, Better Combat Effects Gold breaks this extension for some reason...

bratch9
February 12th, 2023, 13:04
It seems like, with the latest update, Better Combat Effects Gold breaks this extension for some reason...

I dont have the extension to test with, was it working before its previous update ? ( Since advanced spell damage has not been updated for a while.. )

I'd guess the bceg has added more encoding/decoding that needs to happen around the spells... Its possible the likes of 'lvl5' added for spell level is not passing its parsing process...

Could you give some screen shots as to 'what is not working ?' ( ie is the level select on player not working, or on npc or in CT, is the spell parsing not working so you dont get the extra dice and lvl? class markers... does all the ui and spells work, but when 'rolled' the process is not selecting the correct number of dice ?????? )

It would help to know more, with some contrasting images of 'working spells' and not working with 'spells and bceg' and what is wrong.. ( ie box around mistake or some words etc.. )

The bceg is now part of grimpress by the looks ?

your report on the bceg thread got a response of 'Its probably related to Capital Gains. I have a fix that will be up tomorrow.' from 'rhagelstrom'... so let me know if this update fixes it or not..

thanks, Pete

Lo Zeno
February 15th, 2023, 23:16
I dont have the extension to test with, was it working before its previous update ? ( Since advanced spell damage has not been updated for a while.. )

I'd guess the bceg has added more encoding/decoding that needs to happen around the spells... Its possible the likes of 'lvl5' added for spell level is not passing its parsing process...

Could you give some screen shots as to 'what is not working ?' ( ie is the level select on player not working, or on npc or in CT, is the spell parsing not working so you dont get the extra dice and lvl? class markers... does all the ui and spells work, but when 'rolled' the process is not selecting the correct number of dice ?????? )

It would help to know more, with some contrasting images of 'working spells' and not working with 'spells and bceg' and what is wrong.. ( ie box around mistake or some words etc.. )

The bceg is now part of grimpress by the looks ?

your report on the bceg thread got a response of 'Its probably related to Capital Gains. I have a fix that will be up tomorrow.' from 'rhagelstrom'... so let me know if this update fixes it or not..

thanks, Pete

I can give you an example, as I noticed the same issue just half an hour ago in my game:
The Warlock in this screenshot casts Hellish Rebuke using a lvl 3 spell slot, the damage of the spell is calculated as if it was a lvl 9 spell slot.

It worked until the previous version of BCEG, so probably something that was changed in that extension recently.

EDIT: edited to upload a better screenshot of a test I did disabling ALL the extensions except BCEG and Advanced Spell Damage.

bratch9
February 16th, 2023, 13:43
I can give you an example, as I noticed the same issue just half an hour ago in my game:
The Warlock in this screenshot casts Hellish Rebuke using a lvl 3 spell slot, the damage of the spell is calculated as if it was a lvl 9 spell slot.

It worked until the previous version of BCEG, so probably something that was changed in that extension recently.

EDIT: edited to upload a better screenshot of a test I did disabling ALL the extensions except BCEG and Advanced Spell Damage.

The main issue, after looking, is that both extensions change 'getPCPowerAction' but dont call the original function... So in this case BCEG replaced the version in ASD which replaces the ruleset version. ( Also some other issue with NPC character sheet interaction that I did not look into... the drag from a npc sheet instead of the CT damage... )

Not sure on a good solution to this.. will have to have a think.. and maybe some DM chat between the extensions.

-pete

Lo Zeno
February 16th, 2023, 13:58
The main issue, after looking, is that both extensions change 'getPCPowerAction' but dont call the original function... So in this case BCEG replaced the version in ASD which replaces the ruleset version. ( Also some other issue with NPC character sheet interaction that I did not look into... the drag from a npc sheet instead of the CT damage... )

Not sure on a good solution to this.. will have to have a think.. and maybe some DM chat between the extensions.

-pete

I'm hopeful you and @rhagelstrom will find a solution to make the two extensions compatible with each other: BCEG and ASD are two of the three extensions I don't want to give up for D&D 5e!

bratch9
February 16th, 2023, 14:22
I'm hopeful you and @rhagelstrom will find a solution to make the two extensions compatible with each other: BCEG and ASD are two of the three extensions I don't want to give up for D&D 5e!

When I get chance I think I'm going to try and see if I can make my function work with calling the ruleset versions and then patching around it... but I'm not sure on this... at the worst case I have to update for changes in this function on the ruleset that my code does not have.

BCEG only add a couple of small sections into this function, I can probably duplicate those in mine... but then BCEG overrides my code and that will always be the case... unless the extensions can also be made to call the ruleset and patch around the results etc..

-pete

bratch9
February 27th, 2023, 16:12

v3.9 release has fixes for BCEG (v5.6) conflict.

-pete

0m0n
March 26th, 2023, 04:13
There appears to be a conflict with MeAndUnique's Kit'N'Kaboodle extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65937-5E-Kit-N-Kaboodle/). It is preventing an heals, effects from being used on self. Appears to be overriding the combat tracker as the message when adding an effect to self from KnK is [ERROR] Effect dropped pm target which is not listed in the combat tracker. Works fine when Advanced Spell Damage and Common Core are turned off. Tested in a comapign with just these extensions. Images attached

Healing with KNK and B9 extension
Healing with KNK only
Effect with KNK and B9 extension
Effect with KNK only

bratch9
March 26th, 2023, 16:08
There appears to be a conflict with MeAndUnique's Kit'N'Kaboodle extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65937-5E-Kit-N-Kaboodle/). It is preventing an heals, effects from being used on self. Appears to be overriding the combat tracker as the message when adding an effect to self from KnK is [ERROR] Effect dropped pm target which is not listed in the combat tracker. Works fine when Advanced Spell Damage and Common Core are turned off. Tested in a comapign with just these extensions. Images attached

Healing with KNK only
Effect with KNK only

Thanks, I'll take a look to reproduce these.
-pete

bratch9
March 27th, 2023, 20:01

Healing with KNK only
Effect with KNK only

released v3.10 should fix this conflict with Kit'n'Kaboodle.

-pete

0m0n
March 28th, 2023, 01:54
Thanks for the fast fix. This appears to have fixed the issue. Thanks

Vaall
May 22nd, 2023, 21:54
Hey,

Do you think it is possible to parameterize the healing as for the damage like the picture below (and without having the parse structures in the description)?

Thanking you
Vaall

bratch9
May 23rd, 2023, 11:39
Hey,

Do you think it is possible to parameterize the healing as for the damage like the picture below (and without having the parse structures in the description)?

Thanking you
Vaall

Can you be more specific ? ( As you have talk about healing, and damage and parse structures etc.. )

My guess would be that you need to change from a 'heal' power for the spell, into a 'effect' power. So that you have a text line you can 'HEAL: 3d6' and then you can use the spell damage and some of the extra tags like [DEX] or the added ones line [ULVL] etc..

Is that the sort of answer, or give me additional feedback to clarify your idea further, as I'm always open to ideas and features. ( The dont break current etc, as I have to make sure compatibility etc... )

-pete

EDIT:

The other thing you might be thinking is like below.. having the likes of 'type(undead)' in the heal tags ?

As you can see if you have advanced weapon damage also enabled, both normal weapons can use the extra tags. But 'power' damage types can also have the 'type(undead)' and the 'lvl[n]' markers. See the image and the first 2 rolls of damages using the 2 different damage 'power' lines.

The 'heal' does not get the extra control that 'damage' gets from advanced weapon damage extension.

This is one of the reasons for the 'B9 core' so I can bring a common system to allow this sort of control on 'heal' and 'damage' of both the conditional damage tags and the 'lvl' tags etc.

-pete

Vaall
May 23rd, 2023, 18:09
Indeed, my explanation is not precise enough. So I'm going to start over.
My goal is to have a translation of D&D spells in French and therefore to have as little English as possible.
For this I use your expansion to override what FG does automatically with structural scans (like damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1 or healing increases by DICE for each slot level above LEVEL[st,nd,rd,th ]).

On a PC, I have no problem everything works. I see the increase in healing/damage depending on the level of the spell.

Thank you for your support and responsiveness

On the other hand, on an NPC, when I add it to the CT (the spells are generated thanks to the EE extension). The upcast works well for spells with damage but not for healing (see new image) where all dice are directly added regardless of the level of the spell.

The purpose of my question was to know if it was possible to have the same mechanic on the healing or I should see with the Grimlore team ?

bratch9
May 23rd, 2023, 20:59
Indeed, my explanation is not precise enough. So I'm going to start over.
My goal is to have a translation of D&D spells in French and therefore to have as little English as possible.
For this I use your expansion to override what FG does automatically with structural scans (like damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1 or healing increases by DICE for each slot level above LEVEL[st,nd,rd,th ]).

On a PC, I have no problem everything works. I see the increase in healing/damage depending on the level of the spell.

Thank you for your support and responsiveness

On the other hand, on an NPC, when I add it to the CT (the spells are generated thanks to the EE extension). The upcast works well for spells with damage but not for healing (see new image) where all dice are directly added regardless of the level of the spell.

The purpose of my question was to know if it was possible to have the same mechanic on the healing or I should see with the Grimlore team ?

With just my extensions, this is working as expected. (See below)

And a quick check with EE seems to also work. ( But I dont use this extension, so maybe I need to turn something on to make it fail ? )

Can you confirm if the EE extension is as expected from your machine, ie is this the correct EE and version number ( I think its from forge ) or are you using a different version.

Could you have a look at what options you have turned on, and advise as this might allow us to work out if the issue is in my extension or EE.

Thanks, Pete

Vaall
May 23rd, 2023, 23:22
I have the latest version of the EE extension as well as yours.

I confirm that it works well with English spells as it has parse structure "healing increases by DICE for each slot level above LEVEL[st,nd,rd,th ]" in their descriptions in the "main" tab of the spell.

In my case, I use spells without "analysis structure" since everything is written in French.
Thanks to the active option "Translate NPC powers" of the EE extension, it allows me when I add an NPC in the CT to "replace" the analysis structure of my spells in French (i.e. i.e. nothing) by the effects/damage/heals that are created and found in the "Action" tab of each of my spells.

Edit : For information, the version of EE is v1.64. I can't confirm if it previously worked with another version as I just purchased it.

bratch9
May 24th, 2023, 09:40

I confirm that it works well with English spells as it has parse structure "healing increases by DICE for each slot level above LEVEL[st,nd,rd,th ]" in their descriptions in the "main" tab of the spell.

In my case, I use spells without "analysis structure" since everything is written in French.
Thanks to the active option "Translate NPC powers" of the EE extension, it allows me when I add an NPC in the CT to "replace" the analysis structure of my spells in French (i.e. i.e. nothing) by the effects/damage/heals that are created and found in the "Action" tab of each of my spells.

Edit : For information, the version of EE is v1.64. I can't confirm if it previously worked with another version as I just purchased it.

I dont understand the process you are doing/using to do this language exchange.

It sounds like you drag on a french npc, which ends up with bad information in the CT version and then you 'update' it some how on the CT with the spell action data...

I dont even know how the ui is used to do this, as I'm not familiar with the EE extension and how it works.

From my point of view, in your capture2.png and from your wording.
1. 'mains brulantes' damage is working correct ? ( ie I can see it looks at cast level 2 it is giving you '3d6 fire + 1d6 fire,lvl2' )
2. 'soins' is not working correct ? ( ie I can see it has the '1d8+3 + 1d8+1d8+1d8+1d8...' )

Since my extension adjusts how the parse happens, which if the words are in french, probably does not produce the correct effect. EE extension must be replacing it some how, or your interaction is updating them ?

The fact the damage version works but the heal does not, implies a conflict between the 2 extensions that has been resolved for 'damage' spells but not for 'heal' spells. I'm just trying to work out if that is my extension not doing something, or EE. ( Because EE is loaded after mine, it has higher priority to do things that block my extension from working. )

As I dont have the data to 'try' this to see what code is running to figure out which extension has an issue ( or how it might be fixed. ) its hard to debug and advise.

Could you attach a campaign file that has a French 'npc' for me to take a look at. ( ie if you use the npc's window and 'drag' the npc back onto the npc's window to create a copy of the npc in the 'uncategorized' group, this should store it in the db.xml file. )

If you can also do this with a couple of spells in French that might also help.

Give me some instructions as to what you do when you drag the npc onto the CT and then 'how you patch' the spells. ( Buttons pressed, shortcuts used, etc... )

So I can try and replicate the issue live at my side.

That would help a lot, as I can only work on guesses and I'll never find an interaction between the extensions in this was.. Its too much code to guess at.

What I need to be able to see is if the NPC when its on the CT has the correct extra information for the 'cast level' to work or not. And if not how it failed to get the correct data in the process you are using. Or if EE is just failing to 'patch' in some thing in the 'heal' parsing process when the NPC is added, but does do the 'damage' side. Hence the damage working but heals not working.

I'm sure the issue is probably just a couple line of code fix, but I need to see it happen with a bunch of debug prints to see how and when data is 'lost' that causes the failure.

Thanks, Pete

bratch9
May 24th, 2023, 11:39

I had a quick look in EE, and I'd guess that the function 'parseNPCPower' which does different work for 'bTranslateNPCPowers' and calls an overridden 'getPowerAction'... as I can see in the EE 'getPowerAction' for 'heal' its not going to have the same results as calling spell damage overridden 'getPowerAction' to patch in the extra data my extension need.

My issue is this sections of code should also make the english versions fail, so maybe some extra patching is been done in EE. And this is why 'damage' works but the patching for 'heal' has been missed..

-pete

EDIT: did a little more checking, and the english npc while going into the translation side, end up not using it and this falls through the code into the 'savedgetPowerAction' function which will be a call to the spell damage 'parseNPCPower' as EE has not made any changes and so fallback into calling the 'ruleset' processing. ( hence it call my extension which then will also call ruleset code as it nests through my extension into other extensions and ends at the ruleset code at some point.. )

So my guess is that the french data you have, causes the 'translate' to have to do some work, and this then uses the EE parsing instead of the spell damage parsing version.

This is always an issue when multiple extension change these level of fundamental function because normally you then do not call into previous versions of the function as you 'replace' the function so dont call into the ruleset or lower extension versions of the functions.

bratch9
May 24th, 2023, 12:35

If you feel like you can edit the EE extensions, then you could give this a go and let me know if it resolved the issue...

In your 'extensions' folder you should be able to find 'EquippedEffects.ext', this is just a zip file you can unpack. ( If you have 7zip you can just right-click and unzip with 7zip... if you are in windows you might need to rename it .zip and use the built in extract folder... other operating systems will differ.. But you should be able to have an 'EquippedEffects' folder with the extracted extension. )

in 'EquippedEffects\scripts\manager_equipped_effects. lua'

at line 403 you should see 'local nMod = DB.getValue(v, "bonus", 0);'

its in 'function getPowerAction(nodeAction)' in the section starting with 'elseif rAction.type == "heal" then'

find the line below it, ( looks like.. )

table.insert(rAction.clauses, { dice = aDice, stat = sAbility, statmult = nMult, modifier = nMod });

and replace it with these 2 lines

local slvl = DB.getValue(v, "lvl", "");
table.insert(rAction.clauses, { dice = aDice, stat = sAbility, statmult = nMult, modifier = nMod, lvl = slvl });

this should copy the extra data about the 'lvl[n]' from the spell into the table for processing when it hits the NPC on the CT.

This is a guess from just looking at EE code.

Make sure you dont have fantasy grounds running when you edit the file... then when you run fantasy grounds it should pick up the edited version of the extension.

If you want to make sure the edited version is running... before starting fantasy grounds... make a quick edit to 'EquippedEffects\extension.xml'

and change

<announcement text="Equipped Effects v1.64 for Fantasy Grounds Unity \rCopyright 2023 SilentRuin \rWill create and remove effects and spell powers (5E only) based on equipped or unequipped inventory items." font="emotefont" icon="equipped_effects_icon" />

to something like ( just added the 'ASD - ', so you should see this change in the chat window when FG loads up. )

<announcement text="ASD - Equipped Effects v1.64 for Fantasy Grounds Unity \rCopyright 2023 SilentRuin \rWill create and remove effects and spell powers (5E only) based on equipped or unequipped inventory items." font="emotefont" icon="equipped_effects_icon" />

-pete

Vaall
May 24th, 2023, 18:57
Hey,

Sorry, I didn't have time to answer all your questions. To bring you more information, I was preparing a test module to send you but the solution provided in your last message absolutely solved the problem.

thank you again for your help

bratch9
May 24th, 2023, 22:08
Hey,

Sorry, I didn't have time to answer all your questions. To bring you more information, I was preparing a test module to send you but the solution provided in your last message absolutely solved the problem.

thank you again for your help

So adding the,

local slvl = DB.getValue(v, "lvl", "");
table.insert(rAction.clauses, { dice = aDice, stat = sAbility, statmult = nMult, modifier = nMod, lvl = slvl });

Worked for you ?

If you can confirm this, I'll ask SilentRuin to add the correction to EE. ( I been talking on DM on this solution, but was not ready to get it put into the EE extension until I could replicate it or you tested it etc.. )

Thanks, Pete

EDIT: I've asked SilentRuin to add this couple line code change to EE.

I'll keep an eye out for an update and will do an update post on this thread.

Vaall
May 24th, 2023, 22:22
I confirm that your solution worked well and does not seem to have any harmful side effects.

I'll explore if I have any other spells that won't work properly and I'll also reach out to SIlentRuin on my end to gather my feedback on a single update to their EE extension.

Thanks

SilentRuin
May 24th, 2023, 23:31
I confirm that your solution worked well and does not seem to have any harmful side effects.

I'll explore if I have any other spells that won't work properly and I'll also reach out to SIlentRuin on my end to gather my feedback on a single update to their EE extension.

Thanks

It's been delivered per private messages with bratch9. EE is in DMsG now, will be in Forge whenever GP gets around to it.

bratch9
May 25th, 2023, 09:40
It's been delivered per private messages with bratch9. EE is in DMsG now, will be in Forge whenever GP gets around to it.

Thanks for processing the update quickly.

-pete

Vaall
December 8th, 2023, 09:46
Hey B9,

I recently noticed a new problem with your extension (the extensions and software are up to date).

When an NPC with a level X spell with a coding like [SLVL8] arrives on the CT (again thanks to the active option "Translate NPC powers" of the EE extension) the value of SLVL8 becomes 1D8 instead of XD8 even if I indicate that the spell must be cast at a level X (see screen).

Do you think you can fix it?

Thanking you,
Vaall

bratch9
December 9th, 2023, 14:24
Hey B9,

I recently noticed a new problem with your extension (the extensions and software are up to date).

When an NPC with a level X spell with a coding like [SLVL8] arrives on the CT (again thanks to the active option "Translate NPC powers" of the EE extension) the value of SLVL8 becomes 1D8 instead of XD8 even if I indicate that the spell must be cast at a level X (see screen).

Do you think you can fix it?

Thanking you,
Vaall

Hi,

Had a quick look with those extensions and it seems to be working for me... I'm in english, so not sure if its something to do with actual translation ?

See attached image.

Can you try it in english, and see if you can replicate the correct result and is working.

From the last time I looked at something like this, I seem to remember, 'EE' when in translation mode did not call the overridden processing function its takes over from. And due to it not processing this it causes an issue.

I think the suggested solution was to change the load priority of 'EE' as it loads after my extension so that allows my extension to do the work before it gets passed to 'EE' for process.

If 'EE' is overriding functions after mine, and not calling down the processing stack of functions its linked into, then very little can be done from my extension. ( As my code is not been called... )

I'm away from my development machine, so dont have access to source code to confirm this, but as I said I recall looking into this exact issue. ( You might be able to find it further up the thread. )

-pete

EDIT: so the issue I was thinking about was the 'heal' spells, and it looks like SilentRuin added the extra couple of lines to copy in the 'lvl[n]' data over to allow that to work.

I'm sure this will probably be the same sort of thing, but the 'effects' are a little more complex that damage/heal sections.

Also not sure how you get the 'spell' to list with the 'effects' sections that you show in your image ?

Vaall
December 10th, 2023, 14:40
Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to look.

First of all, I agree that with the English modules it works correctly and perfectly.

The problem only comes from the way I use your extension (as well as that of many other) in order to make the use of FG as simple as possible for my players with the objective that they have the less action to be done on their side. Ideally, I simplified the spells as much as possible to only have one button to press (like as an effect).
In realizing this I certainly missed or did some spell coding incorrectly.

Where I may have made an error is that I coded the spell "Cloudkill" in the form of a single effect (with the damage roll automatically with the saving throw with your extension (+BCEG )) in this way :
SAVEDMG: [SLVL8]; SAVES: CON [SDC] (H) (M).

PS. : Sorry, I didn't want to go into details to avoid making my speech less clear.

Whereas in reality, the translation of the spell into English performs the saving throw and the damage separately (so we no longer end up with a single effect line but with two lines 1 with saving throw and 1 other with damage).

I can repeat the Cloudkill spell normally if I go one line for the saving throw and another for the damage.
And in this case, it works well (see attachment).

Afterwards I can put all the spells back in this way so that it works (need just time).

But the problem is that an NPC does not recognize the level of a spell in an "effect" coding of the spell.

I can share my modules (FR) or do a stream if my explanation is not clear enough.

bratch9
December 11th, 2023, 11:52
Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to look.

First of all, I agree that with the English modules it works correctly and perfectly.

The problem only comes from the way I use your extension (as well as that of many other) in order to make the use of FG as simple as possible for my players with the objective that they have the less action to be done on their side. Ideally, I simplified the spells as much as possible to only have one button to press (like as an effect).
In realizing this I certainly missed or did some spell coding incorrectly.

Where I may have made an error is that I coded the spell "Cloudkill" in the form of a single effect (with the damage roll automatically with the saving throw with your extension (+BCEG )) in this way :
SAVEDMG: [SLVL8]; SAVES: CON [SDC] (H) (M).

PS. : Sorry, I didn't want to go into details to avoid making my speech less clear.

Whereas in reality, the translation of the spell into English performs the saving throw and the damage separately (so we no longer end up with a single effect line but with two lines 1 with saving throw and 1 other with damage).

I can repeat the Cloudkill spell normally if I go one line for the saving throw and another for the damage.
And in this case, it works well (see attachment).

Afterwards I can put all the spells back in this way so that it works (need just time).

But the problem is that an NPC does not recognize the level of a spell in an "effect" coding of the spell.

I can share my modules (FR) or do a stream if my explanation is not clear enough.

Thanks for the extra information, I can guess at a replication for this and will try and get around to looking into this.

The basic issue is that power:effects are evaluated when NPC is added, same when the player character presses the button on the character sheet and its added to the CT effect list. With ASD for power:heal and power:damage on NPC I pre-generate these at all spell upcast levels and store the strings. So when you change the upcast level on the NPC it just changes the string, which is much quicker than re-evaluating the full damage/heal power data.

I'll need to add this NPC pre-generation for power:effect, so it can just update the cached string in the same way as the power:damage does in your image for the NPC cloudkill spell.

ASD does not do this at the moment because standard spell parse does not generate any 'special' encodes in the power:effect, they basically only stuff in the "spell name;" into the power:effect.

So evaluating the power:effect at lvl 1-20 for cantrip and lvl 1-9 for a normal spell will have to be added. This might not be possible due to information, as it will need to know if the power:effect is related to a cantrip or a source level spell. It all depends on what data I have access to at the point of evaluation.

Once I have this working, we can cross the bridge of DMsGuild uploads not working (see spell tokens extension that is yet to see a resolution for this issues... ), and then we can look to see if 'EE' extension needs a couple of extra lines adding in like was needed for damage/heal to copy over the 'lvl[n]' cast setting etc...

But with my christmas plans I have very little time to look into this, but will try and find some time to look into this.

-pete

Vaall
December 12th, 2023, 16:42
No worries, everyone has the right to their Christmas vacation. There is therefore no urgency to resolve this problem.

I am going to modify the spells most used by spellcaster NPCs.

Thanks again.

bratch9
December 12th, 2023, 22:47
No worries, everyone has the right to their Christmas vacation. There is therefore no urgency to resolve this problem.

I am going to modify the spells most used by spellcaster NPCs.

Thanks again.

Had a few hours to have a play, and got something working. ( While I could not configure the spell in the same way you did, as I assume that is a different extensions as I only had ASD enabled. ) So I had to hardcode detecting the 'cloudkill' spell and force in a [SLVL8] code into its encoding before allowing the system to evaluate it at different levels.

I need to do some clean up of my debug chat messages and will add an 'evaluate npc power effects' as a option, to try and keep the code changes as safe a possible !!

Because it now evaluates the effect based on the spell description 'Level: ' this will need to be in the description for the spell on the NPC. ( Otherwise it does not know what the source spell level is, for cloud kill this is obviously the 'Level: 5' in the spell description. )

-pete

Vaall
December 12th, 2023, 23:02
Thank you, it’s great to have succeeded. I hope this wasn't too difficult to find.

bratch9
December 12th, 2023, 23:17
Thank you, it’s great to have succeeded. I hope this wasn't too difficult to find.

It was not too complex once I found a good location to process the evaluation.

My worry when you get hold of it, is interactions with other extensions. ie with 'EE' and the one that you use to add 'spell' effect configurations for the spells as I'm not sure which extension does that. So its possible that the spell effect configuration gets updated after I have evaluated it, but I hope it goes in before ASD further evaluates the power/spell effect/damage/heal configuration.

I'll look to add an option to configure the evaluation process in the morning, so I can update the extension in a way that does nothing different if its disabled. So as to not break the current processing flow. Giving you a way to test within your more complex extension configuration and language etc..

-pete

bratch9
December 13th, 2023, 16:07

v3.12 update adds the ability for the NPC effects lines to be evaluated for casting at different levels. ( This is controlled by a 'option' which is defaulted to 'disabled' )

Let me know if this interacts with your other extensions as expected, as I'm guessing the code interactions should work.

If not let me know and we can start looking at which extra extension(s) are involved in just the NPC spell power effect configuration, as I'm not sure how you are 'making' your NPC with the extra effect specials etc..

-pete

bratch9
December 15th, 2023, 11:48
v3.13 Updated NPC effects line evaluation when used in 'innate spells'

note. Innate Spells need to start with both the 'level' and 'cast level' text. See attached.

-pete

Vaall
December 18th, 2023, 19:29
Hey,

I'm really confused to tell you that this doesn't work for me.
I think this is because I'm using the MeAndUnique extension (5E - Kit'N'Kaboodle) to create the spell effect and you not.
If it's really too much of a hassle, don't bother. I will find another solution of my own.

Thanking you

Edit: As an alternative, I found the CT scroll 5e extension which allows me to increase or reduce the damage that is registered into an effect. So there is no urgency/obligation to think about a solution to my problem.

bratch9
March 16th, 2024, 16:55
v3.14 update for FGU 4.5.0 changes.