PDA

View Full Version : Odd Behavior in CoC7 Ruleset

osarusan
September 12th, 2020, 15:20
Here is some weird behavior I just noticed with the 7e ruleset.

After starting a new campaign and loading all the modules, I created a character.

When the character sheet is created, a duplicate set of all of the skills is automatically created by FG in the Skills library. These are all shared by default, just like when the GM shares an image or a story item.
However, these skills are somehow strangely linked to the character sheets.

I thought it was weird that it created duplicate skills, so I unshared and deleted the duplicates. Doing this broke all of the character sheets. It removed all of the skills from the character sheet skills page, and then every time someone opens a new character sheet, the FG gets a console error as it searches for the missing skill. There doesn't seem to be any way of fixing it either, so you just have to delete the campaign and start over, otherwise any time a player opens their skill tab, you will all be assaulted with console errors.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or just a weird result of the way the character sheet was designed, but considering that it can ruin the whole campaign, it seems like something worth bringing up. Just in case anyone else notices the duplicate skills and thinks to unshare or delete them, take this as a PSA/warning not to do that! You will break your entire campaign!

LordEntrails
September 18th, 2020, 03:35
Can you let us know what version you are running? And if you are using any extension? And can you post screen shots or post the logs?

You can get more info from the link in my sig on the type of info that will help identify this.

osarusan
September 18th, 2020, 04:36
Sure! This happens using FG Classic 3.3.11. It's easily reproducible; I just tried it on a fresh campaign and got it to happen. No extensions or mods, just vanilla Fantasy Grounds using the up-to-date Call of Cthulhu 7th edition ruleset.

I've attached some screenshots.

screenshot 1: the skills list upon a fresh load of a new game using the CoC7 ruleset. The skills list comes pre-populated with a number of skills which are publicly shared.

screenshot 2: after loading the CoC modules, a duplicate set of skills appears. These are also visible to players, as players will load open the modules as well. Redundancy itself isn't a major issue, of course, but the problem comes next:

screenshot 3: the console error that you get if you unshare or delete any of those original skills. This happens any time you make a new character, any time you load the skills tab, any time you try to edit your skills, etc. It's constant, and if you just accidentally remove one of those original skills, you can't ever fix it. Your campaign will constantly get this error popping up all the time, and you'll need to delete the campaign and start a new one.

So it's less of a "bug" I suppose, than it is a strange design flaw in the ruleset. The character sheets are built to reference items that are delete-able, and deleting them breaks the ruleset. I think those skills need to be made non-delete-able, or else somehow not linked to the character sheet. It's far to easy to accidentally unshare or delete them and ruin a campaign.

esmdev
September 18th, 2020, 04:49
As far as I can tell, the skills are built into the ruleset and also loaded in by various modules (CoC7 reference, Pulp Cthulhu, Down Darker Trails, etc.) each creating duplicates. So you could end up with quite a few copies of skills. However all the skills in the selected era should already be pre-loaded into the character sheet. so you could probably ignore the skill window entirely.

Deleting the skills will break the link to the era window, and the era window is what the character sheet uses to determine what skills to put on the sheet.

ianmward
September 18th, 2020, 09:48
Hi all,

As mentioned above, this is caused by the inclusion of the skills in the CoC 7e Reference library module. Given that this information is now pre-loaded by the Ruleset when the campaign is created, I believe it is redundant in the module.

I will remove the Skills from the "CoC 7e Reference" module and would ask you to test to see that there are no untoward side effects.

I will post again when the module is in the TEST channel.

Regards,

Ian

osarusan
September 21st, 2020, 14:55
Thanks, I will give those a test when they become available.

Just to clarify - the main issue is not that the skills are duplicated. That's just a minor annoyance. The main issue is that those skills can be deleted, and that ends up causing tons of errors.
I think the best fix would be make sure those skills can't be deleted, so that it will become impossible to ruin a campaign by accidentally deleting them.

LordEntrails
September 22nd, 2020, 04:44

Just to clarify - the main issue is not that the skills are duplicated. That's just a minor annoyance. The main issue is that those skills can be deleted, and that ends up causing tons of errors.
I think the best fix would be make sure those skills can't be deleted, so that it will become impossible to ruin a campaign by accidentally deleting them.
But that way leads to madness, and Cthulhu!

ianmward
September 23rd, 2020, 11:03

Thanks for the clarification.

The system does allow the keeper to create their own skills and eras, completely changing the skills available. As such, we allow the deletion of the default skills too, so that only the correct skills are available.

I guess you do need to be carefull what you delete as it can cause problems. If you do delete some skills, you can fix the campaign by deleting all of the skills and eras, then restart. On restarting, it will recreate the default skills and eras.

The TEST version should have rolled out yesterday, if you want to test it.

osarusan
September 27th, 2020, 00:16
If you do delete some skills, you can fix the campaign by deleting all of the skills and eras, then restart. On restarting, it will recreate the default skills and eras.

This is very good to know! I hadn't thought of deleting the Eras as well, but that is something to keep in mind (though I hopefully won't make the mistake of deleting the skills again).

Mac77
December 24th, 2021, 21:09
Merry Christmas all. I have a question about the dice rolling for COC7. I have two NPC's in the combat tracker and when combat starts, I double click the attack roll as normal. Some times it works fine,
the d100% will come up as 81 or 47 etc as normal. Other times though, as shown in the screenshot, it will roll a 10 and a 10 which in D100% terms should be 11 but it seems to roll 2 D10 and add them together. Seems to happen at random.
Both NPC's I created but have tested on original l COC7 monsters as well and the same thing happens. I am running version 4.1.12 standard with no extensions. Any ideas? Thanks.50562

ianmward
December 25th, 2021, 02:06
Merry Christmas all. I have a question about the dice rolling for COC7. I have two NPC's in the combat tracker and when combat starts, I double click the attack roll as normal. Some times it works fine,
the d100% will come up as 81 or 47 etc as normal. Other times though, as shown in the screenshot, it will roll a 10 and a 10 which in D100% terms should be 11 but it seems to roll 2 D10 and add them together. Seems to happen at random.
Both NPC's I created but have tested on original l COC7 monsters as well and the same thing happens. I am running version 4.1.12 standard with no extensions. Any ideas? Thanks.50562

Hi Mac77 and Merry Christmas to you too.

The d100 implementation in FG can be a little confusing at first (there are many posts about it) but it works. In normal dice, the d10 dice go from 0-9 and are read tens die units die EXCEPT when you roll 00 when the rules are thrown out and we count it as 100 instead of 0.

In FG the tens die goes from 00 to 90 and the units die goes from 1-10. The dice are added together to give a range from 00+1 to 90+10.

It does look strange at first with a 50+10 being 60 instead of 50 but the probabilities are the same both ways, there is still a full range of 1-100.

Cheers,

Ian

Trenloe
December 25th, 2021, 04:02
To clarify - a while ago, when FG was first developed, it was common practice in some RPG circles to use the percentile approach outlined by @ianmward above. It just so happened that the original developers of FG were familiar with the additive approach. For most of us, we're more familiar with 00 and 10 (0) being 100 (reading the tens and numeral), not 10 (adding the results together). To give an idea, back in 2007 there was a vote on the FG forums and a quarter of users preferred the additive method - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?8354-d100-percentile-die-convention

This is just for background, to give an idea that there were (and maybe still are, I don't know) different conventions for percentage dice.

Mac77
December 25th, 2021, 18:28
Many thanks Ian!

MNight75
October 13th, 2022, 03:22
How do I delete all the skills and eras is that in the folders or in FGU?
I may have deleted one or more, and need to probably force it to download the rulesets again so its fresh.

MNight75
October 13th, 2022, 03:26
I am having a similar issue with duplicate skills and messing things up by deleting and messing with them over duplicates. All I have loaded are
With only
Call of Cthulhu 7e Pulp Cthulhu
and
COC 7e PC Reference

Loaded I am faced with some wierdness in the skills list

There are some duplicates and one of each of the pairs of duplicates says Pulp Cthulhu next to it.

Computer Use
First Aid
Hypnosis
Medicine
I think Mythos was also duplicated, but I think I deleted it.
If these are related to era, why is there not an ability to change which era they belong to or is that not in the skills area? It would be cool to have multiple skills with different help files for different eras if that were ... documented.
Is this intentional or is there some error in either how its written or how my computer has handeled the downloading of the file?