PDA

View Full Version : Tables with negative results

JimSocks
September 12th, 2020, 06:09
Quick question: I want to roll a table with a -3 modifier, and still get a result if it ends up being negative. Can I do this? For instance, a table for how many planets surround a giant star: I want it to roll 1d6-3 (other sizes of star dont get the negative mod...) But if this rolls a 0, or a -2 for instance, I want a result that says "no planets"

I don't want to include "no planets" on the table, as it is rolled on for star sizes with no negative modifier that I ALWAYS want to have at least one planet, nor do I want to make it a 1d8 table with three "no planets" entries, as that messes up the odds inherent in the 1d6-3.

I have noticed when the results come up as negative, nothing is output at all from the table, which is not ideal. Is there a way to do this? Forgive me if this is confusing, it's really late and my brain is dying.

LordEntrails
September 12th, 2020, 06:49
Why couldn't you do this;
-10 0 No Planets
1 1 One Planet
2 2 Two Planets
3 3 Three Planets
4 4 Four Planets
5 5 Five Planets
6 16 Six Planets

That way you could add any modifier -10 to +10 and get a results of no planets to 6 planets.

Zacchaeus
September 12th, 2020, 10:26
Whilst you can't have a zero in a table row if your result spans zero then you can get a result. In the table below I have finessed things a little with the first entry being -2 to 1. It does mean that the table rolls a d7 but you will get a result on a zero.

JimSocks
September 12th, 2020, 13:17
Thanks guys! I’ll give those a shot! Zero indeed was being a pain