PDA

View Full Version : Modified Map Between Campaigns

Cirdan17
September 11th, 2020, 15:18
I have a campaign I am running with a group of friends. I have some maps in that campaign where I have added walls, doors, etc. I am now running another campaign with a different group of friends. Is there a way to copy the modified map over to the second campaign? Ideally I wouldn't have to recreate all the walls/doors again. I appreciate any advice!

superteddy57
September 11th, 2020, 16:10
The wiki provides some great information in pulling that map data out.
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/260440084/Developer+Guide+-+Extracting+LOS+Data+for+Modules

It also might be best in the future to start a development campaign to set up maps and adventures to export to a module so it can be used in multiple campaigns. This will also leave the adventure untouched and able to make changes as you see fit during the course of a campaign with many groups.

Cirdan17
September 11th, 2020, 16:12
That is a great idea! I appreciate the help and will check out the article.

LordEntrails
September 11th, 2020, 17:30
For more info on best practices for creating modules with development campaigns, see the link in my signature.

A Social Yeti
September 12th, 2020, 17:39
As mentioned with the "development campaign" it's a work flow process to use from the start of ti all.

When you make a new campaign, don't run the game from it. Use it as your workbench, and export it to a .mod file adventure.
Then GM from the .mod file running the game for the players from it.

Now you can go back to the workbench campaign, in between sessions, to prep for the next as you like, and export it again.
It will update the .mod file with your changes while keeping it as is otherwise.
Which is really useful when you have inspiration to work up stuff in advance. But find that by the time it comes into play, you'd like to make a few tweaks first.

Following this method, over time you wind up with a collection of "development/WIP" campaigns as your GMing work piles up, to have it for reusing/recycling as you want.
Being able to go to the "WIP" campaign and make whatever changes you want for this next time you decide to use it, and exporting to the .mod adventure that you actually use with the players.

That's an important part of how overtime as you make more and more materials for different campaigns you GM, you can keep going back and easily reusing any of it you want in current games.

Dale T
March 12th, 2022, 16:36
Atlassian gives me a security error on that link, but I found this by traversing the wiki: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996645681/Developer+Guide+-+Extracting+LOS+Data+for+Modules