PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Adventures

Morik
September 11th, 2020, 04:20
So, as I understand it, this is complete and has been passed off to Smiteworks for approval. Do we know how long this process takes? I'm just excited and want to spend some money! lol

Do we have a time frame on this?

viresanimi
September 11th, 2020, 05:32
We're never informed of this. But since there was about 4-5 months between the time Vampire was supposed to be released and when it actually happened. Yeah, this can take a long time. Patience my young cadet!

Vires Animi

Morik
September 13th, 2020, 05:09
Patience my young cadet!

Nooo! They must take my money now!!!! lol

LordEntrails
September 13th, 2020, 06:18
It's a new version of the Kabyashi Maru... you must wait patiently :)

Morik
September 15th, 2020, 01:20
It's a new version of the Kabyashi Maru... you must wait patiently :)

Oh, that's just mean! Lol

Trenloe
September 15th, 2020, 08:17
There's a mention of upcoming beta access in the developer company forums here: https://nerdeyegames.com/Forums/forumid/4/scope/threads/Star-Trek-Adventures

cboillot
September 15th, 2020, 18:37
There's a mention of upcoming beta access in the developer company forums here: https://nerdeyegames.com/Forums/forumid/4/scope/threads/Star-Trek-Adventures

Thanks for the heads up!

Morik
September 28th, 2020, 00:27
So, it looks like they are making some refinements to the table's appearance and fixing some FGU issues. Not sure how that will affect Beta or release.

Morik
October 11th, 2020, 13:08
So, now it looks like they are skipping Beta and going straight to Release. I hope that means they're close!

cboillot
October 11th, 2020, 18:28
So, now it looks like they are skipping Beta and going straight to Release. I hope that means they're close!

Where did you hear this from?

Morik
October 12th, 2020, 23:00
Asked some questions of the devs on Facebook. They referrred me to an announcement. Supposedly it's been announced here on FG. Let me look for it.

Morik
October 12th, 2020, 23:03
This is their response on Facebook, "We're not doing a beta release for Star Trek. It will be released as a finished product once all interested parties are satisfied with it. We all want to get it out asap, but also want it to be a quality product. If you'd like a sneak peak at the table, you can watch some actual play here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeWGkRmk7F4"

And quite honestly, this is all I can find from them on the subject.

Morik
October 12th, 2020, 23:10
I contacted them again and asked if we could get some official word. Because, until we all hear it from them, it's all rumor...
(I'm copying this to their forums as well, so that there is no confusion between the two)

Sunspoticus
October 13th, 2020, 04:03
Beta will not be skipped. Details to be found at https://nerdeyeindustries.com/forums

Morik
October 13th, 2020, 07:51
Thank you for clarification

cboillot
October 14th, 2020, 14:28
https://nerdeyeindustries.com/Forums/forumid/10/postid/50/scope/posts/Re-Beta-Update

Sunday will be the last day we'll add any changes to the dev board. If it looks pretty clean by then, next week.

I can tell ya this. You will need:

A. A Fantasy Grounds License
B. Willingness to sign simple agreement. The beta period may only be a few weeks.

Jonbens
October 20th, 2020, 04:11
Any word on the Beta? Really looking forward to the official release, but I'd love an early look and a chance to help out with the Beta.

Morik
November 3rd, 2020, 17:43
Is Nerd Eye's website down? Having trouble checking it today.

Jonbens
November 3rd, 2020, 18:02
I'd gotten in just a few hours ago but now I can't access either. What ever happened must have just happened. Maybe they're updating the web site?

Morik
November 3rd, 2020, 21:21
Maybe they're prepping for Beta! lol

You're probably right. Website update, most likely.

Morik
November 4th, 2020, 03:39
Yeah, looks like a website update. They even sent me a new password.

Jonbens
November 9th, 2020, 23:14
Hi All. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of Updates on the Nerd eye website. There was a mention of the company having just talked about it a few weekends ago and that there would be an announcement soon. Nothing since then. Has anyone here heard any news?

Sunspoticus
November 10th, 2020, 01:08
We're working through some UNITY-related issues with STA this week. Assuming that goes well, we're in beta mode.

Latest information will always be there on our website.

CEO, Nerd Eye Industries, LLC.

Morik
November 10th, 2020, 01:31
Ty for the update :)

Jonbens
November 10th, 2020, 02:00
Thanks for the Update. Hopefully hear more about Beta next week?

Jonbens
November 22nd, 2020, 18:53
Hi All. Just looking to see if there's an update in the add on for ST:A. Any closer to Beta or release?

Jonbens
November 25th, 2020, 19:49
Anybody know if they're still working thru Unity Issues? Looking for an update if possible. Thanks.

Jonbens
December 1st, 2020, 03:30
Hi Sunspoticus. Any chance we could get another update? How are things progressing?

Morik
December 1st, 2020, 07:21
Any info would be appreciated.

Jonbens
December 6th, 2020, 02:44
Looks like the Nerd Eye Website is down for repairs. Anyone know what's up?

Morik
December 6th, 2020, 13:50
Not sure. It was pretty glitchy before though.

Sunspoticus
December 6th, 2020, 15:55
I have it down for a rework.. It'll be a few days.

Jonbens
December 6th, 2020, 16:31
Thanks Sunspoticus. While we have you attention, Any updates on the ST:A App?

Sunspoticus
December 6th, 2020, 20:49
No problem.

We're making sure it works under FGU as good as it does under FGC. That, and getting approvals from Modiphius are THE ONLY reasons its not already out, just to be clear.

Jonbens
December 6th, 2020, 21:27
Cool, and thanks for the update. Can't wait for the actual release. Are there any more examples of actual use we can look at? Videos or any more screen shots?

Sunspoticus
December 7th, 2020, 02:52
Yeah sure, well, the forums are back up (new signups required). I've posted some screenshots from my active STA campaign here:

https://nerdeyeindustries.com/forums/Posts/t2-Star-Trek--El-Dorado

Jonbens
December 7th, 2020, 03:01
Nice. I just saw. It looks like the official app has a few more active components. Are things like Talents and values figured in more?

cboillot
December 7th, 2020, 21:25
Guys, it's close!

https://nerdeyeindustries.com/forums/Posts/m10-Wanna-guess#post10

Jonbens
December 8th, 2020, 04:01
Great news!

Morik
December 17th, 2020, 07:28
Any new news?

Sunspoticus
December 17th, 2020, 13:27
Approvals... We're taking this time to code some more features, so as soon as thats done, I'll have more to report.

Jonbens
December 17th, 2020, 21:10
Hi Sunspot,

I know you're the only one working on it, but is there a time line? A week, a month? They must have given you some idea. Already into a campaign on FG but an officially supported product would make thing a lot easier.

Morik
January 9th, 2021, 12:36
Still waiting on approval?

Jonbens
January 16th, 2021, 17:29
Hi. Just checking in to see if there are any updates on the ST:A add on. Any news?

Jonbens
January 23rd, 2021, 05:20
Hi. Seems like awhile since we've had an update. Anyone heard anything?

ShotGun Jolly
January 23rd, 2021, 06:08
Based on the comments on the Conan 2D20 updates thread here on the forums, they seem to be swamped with projects, delays, and other issues.

Jonbens
January 23rd, 2021, 20:22
Ugggh. I should have just run Conan Game. I feeling my Star Trek Campaign will be over before this comes out. Lol. Well. What can you do.

ShotGun Jolly
January 24th, 2021, 02:26
Ugggh. I should have just run Conan Game. I feeling my Star Trek Campaign will be over before this comes out. Lol. Well. What can you do.

You can never go wrong running Conan.:)

Jonbens
February 1st, 2021, 23:50
Anyone heard anything about a Beta or a finished product this past week? Just checking.

Morik
February 6th, 2021, 16:24
Just checking in. Any news?

Jonbens
February 17th, 2021, 02:58
Anyone heard of any updates for the Star Trek Adventures Add On for FG? Are the still holding for Approvals?

Sunspoticus
February 17th, 2021, 04:56
Yes. Plus new edits from the update. Expect both STA and KLINGON more or less the same time.

Jonbens
February 17th, 2021, 14:22
I hadn't heard about Klingon being seperate. Is the work done on that as well? Are we talking a few more months? Let me know if you can and thanks.

Sunspoticus
February 17th, 2021, 14:46
Star Trek is done, less the recent changes to CoreRPG. Klingon lags a bit behind STA but is close.

Actual release date is out of our (Nerd Eye)'s hands, however. Less a few changes and some edits on the core rulebook module, STA is in great shape and could be out there now if it were up to us. Meanwhile, you can see it in action here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK_Xar1m-0-wE4kgFIKMsWQ

Morik
March 13th, 2021, 19:33
So, are we waiting on Smiteworks or Modiphius? Doesn't matter, I'm just curious about the process.

Sunspoticus
March 13th, 2021, 21:35
We've pulled it back into Dev in light of recent changes to CoreRPG..

Lil factoid: STAR TREK ADVENTURES was already a thing (a ruleset) before we cranked Conan, as such it has alot of deadweight in it we'll be removing.

Jonbens
March 13th, 2021, 22:01
Oh, dead weight code wise or actual functions being taken out?

Sunspoticus
March 14th, 2021, 00:47
dead/unnecessary items

Morik
March 14th, 2021, 08:09
That's kinda neat. So, streamlining the code?

Morik
March 18th, 2021, 04:54
So, is this going to require some major changes?

Morik
March 23rd, 2021, 15:10
Any news?

Sunspoticus
March 23rd, 2021, 16:20
Yes, edits are scheduled. New screenshots in a week or two.

Morik
March 23rd, 2021, 19:06
Sweet! Thanks :)

Jonbens
March 24th, 2021, 02:42
Sorry, Need for Clarification. Does that mean they have not been done yet and are now scheduled to be done, or Scheduled to be looked at by Modifius?

Sunspoticus
March 24th, 2021, 06:59
STA has been DONE for since shortly after it was released point-in-fact. We were directed by Modiphius to produce CONAN before STA. We've decided to re-code a few parts of STA based on experiences with Conan. Its really that simple. When I start running my own game with the STA table again, you'll know we're testing it again.

Morik
March 25th, 2021, 00:42
Oh nice... a Sunspoticus game. Will you stream it?

Jonbens
May 27th, 2021, 21:46
Hi all. Has there been any word of the release for Star Trek Adventures to Beta?

JohnQPublic
May 27th, 2021, 21:56
Is Star Trek Adventures going to have more automation than the Conan ruleset?

Sunspoticus
May 27th, 2021, 22:48
I am close to finishing a UI refresh (based on lessons learned from Conan/Unity) then some script cleanup and we'll be ready to go. I am flipping my work between STA and DUNE, ATM

Jonbens
May 27th, 2021, 22:56
Well that sounds close. Are you releasing it to Beta, or directly for Purchase?

Sunspoticus
May 27th, 2021, 23:13
No, we're still planning a invite-type beta...

Jonbens
May 27th, 2021, 23:15
And, btw, what is a UI refresh?

Sunspoticus
May 27th, 2021, 23:29
Examples (but not limited to):
* Font Sizing
* Color Balancing
* Making things pixel-perfect (on screen alignments 'n such)

Mechanically, STA is quite sound. Its just some of the visual elements needs some touchup.

Jonbens
July 31st, 2021, 02:55
Hey, anyone heard more on the star trek adventures rules set? Last I heard they were aiming for the end of July, which is tomorrow. Are we still waiting for a Beta Run?

Jonbens
August 3rd, 2021, 18:08
Hi Guys...Looking for Updates if there are any. Thanks.

Sunspoticus
August 4th, 2021, 01:11
I tore down STA as it was the first 2d20 we did. Yes, it was functionally complete BEFORE Conan was released. As such, its also the oldest table we have. In light of the changes made to CoreRPG and the shift to FGU, I thought it best to just rebuild it fresh. I'm about 50-70% there. Then some scripting, then the core rulebook. I'll be running a game with it as soon as its ready. Its my plan to press Modiphius to let us go public with a beta at that time.

Jonbens
August 4th, 2021, 01:28
Wait...so it sounds like that's months away. I was under the impression from Modiphius that they were shooting for the end of July. Is it really as far out as you say?

Jonbens
August 4th, 2021, 01:46
And it's not that I don't realize the work you guys have put into this. I'm totally sure you're under the gun on this and it is appreciated. I just keep trying to gauge when I can run my game with this product only to find I'm wildly off. Can we get a guestimate at this point? I would be grateful.

Sunspoticus
August 4th, 2021, 14:15
No, a few weeks. 2 maybe 3.

Jonbens
August 4th, 2021, 14:57
Cool. Hopefully Modiphius will let you put it into Beta right away. Thanks for all your work.

Jonbens
August 17th, 2021, 02:00
How is it progressing? Most of the new coding done?

Sunspoticus
August 17th, 2021, 20:50
Yes, we're 95% FGU ready. Had a meeting with Modiphius earlier today, so we'll be firming up release plans for STA, DUNE, and Fallout.

Jonbens
August 17th, 2021, 23:02
Cool. Great!

kessler25
August 18th, 2021, 06:24
Mmmmm... Dune...

Jonbens
August 18th, 2021, 14:41
Dune would be very nice....agreed.

Sunspoticus
August 18th, 2021, 15:08
Both STA and DUNE are being played at SXG.

Jonbens
August 18th, 2021, 18:30
Sxg?

Jonbens
August 18th, 2021, 20:39
Nevermind. I got it. Is there a schedule of STA games over there?

Jonbens
August 26th, 2021, 14:11
Getting excited as it seems like we're actually on the verge of getting access to the new campaign rules set. How is it going? All finished with the coding? Can't wait!

Sunspoticus
August 26th, 2021, 14:14
As some already know, STA was largely done before we were directed to work on Conan. I managed to run a few mini-campaigns with it in fact. So the push to release has been largely about refactoring existing code and optimizing for Fantasy Grounds Unity.

As such we're down to the last layer of element work and visual refinements. Work will shift to the core rulebook module this weekend.

Jonbens
August 26th, 2021, 14:30
Hi Sunspoticus. Thanks for the quick response. When you say 'shift to the core rulebook', that means the campaign rules are done? Will we need to wait for the core rulebook to be done before they allow a beta to be released? And also, how long do you suspect the core rulebook will take? And final question (sorry for so many questions), has your company discussed with Modiphius to let you run a beta? Thanks for all you work btw. ☺

kessler25
August 26th, 2021, 17:52
Thanks for the updates! We're rooting for ya! And itching to ride a sandworm and fight some Borg on FG...

Jonbens
September 2nd, 2021, 17:16
Hi again. So, how goes it, is this passed off to Modiphius for final approval? Can't wait and thanks for all the work. ��

Sunspoticus
September 2nd, 2021, 18:21
We're working towards a release. Ruleset is CODE COMPLETE. Finishing up Core Rulebook module and finalizing what additional assets we'll bake into the table..

Jonbens
September 2nd, 2021, 21:34
Thanks for getting back with the update. Any chance of them allowing a beta strictly on the Rules Set?

Jonbens
September 27th, 2021, 15:10
Hi all. Anyone here know if we're going to see the Star Trek Adventures Campaign Set as a product available for purchase this week?

Moon Wizard
September 27th, 2021, 23:08
The ruleset and rulebooks have not been submitted to us for review yet (which can take up to 2-3 weeks depending on publisher requirements); so it definitely will not be available for purchase this week.

Regards,
JPG

Jonbens
September 27th, 2021, 23:32
Wait, by 'you' do you mean it hasn't been submitted to a specific dept in Smiteworks, or to Smiteworks at all? I had heard that the developer got the OK from Modiphius to release it to Smiteworks as much as 10 days ago.

johnecc
September 28th, 2021, 00:28
Actually, the post on NerdEye Industries forum stated that RC1 had been sent to Modiphius, not Smiteworks.

And thats only Release Candidate 1, the chances of a 1st draft being approved are less than 100%

Jonbens
September 28th, 2021, 01:50
Arrg. Sorry, just seems like every time I think this just around the corner, someone tacks another month on. I seriously believe I'll be done with my current campaign before this is actually ready for purchase. I know its not anyone's fault really, just the nature of programming, but still a bit frustrating. Anyway, on to next month I suppose.

kessler25
October 1st, 2021, 00:01
I feel your pain. I love the Modiphius 2d20 system in pretty much all its forms but having it tied to a company that a turtle looks at and goes "Damn! Y'all are slow!" is kinda disheartening. But onward, I suppose.

timdog88
October 1st, 2021, 03:04
Yea I remember hoping this ruleset would be released in time for my birthday. In May. Of 2020. At this point I’m convinced it’s just vapor ware.

Jonbens
October 1st, 2021, 03:18
No, it will get there. The real hold up was the company doing the programming had to redo a lot due to Fantasy Grounds reworking key code. And it wasn't just effecting star trek. The had to rework Conan first, since it was already out. I think it lost them months. And the there was the pandemic that may have slowed it down. Anyway. I think its getting closer...but it is frustrating knowing there is a working product that just needs tweets to be finished.

Moon Wizard
October 1st, 2021, 07:00
We do occasionally rework core systems to provide more functionality or to streamline theming. We always recommend that ruleset developers do not attempt to customize that code; though that advice is not always taken.

Regards,
JPG

Jonbens
October 9th, 2021, 22:20
Hi All, Had there been any further updates on the STA Campaign Set?

cboillot
October 10th, 2021, 01:09
Hi All, Had there been any further updates on the STA Campaign Set?

It seems it was sent to Smiteworks, but was sent back for a few visual edits.

https://discord.com/channels/491462224548724736/627354919581515796/895165215702937692

Moon Wizard
October 10th, 2021, 01:45
That Discord link doesn't work for me.

However, as far as I know, STA has not been submitted to SmiteWorks at all, and I would have heard about it. Also, it has not been checked into our source control for DLC either, so there is no way it can be reviewed before that happens.

Regards,
JPG

Jonbens
October 10th, 2021, 02:17
Someone named Vegaserik on Discord said the last they heard it was in QA, but that could take a day, or weeks. Then Derick from Fantasy Grounds said just "Soon". That was on Oct 7th. Lloyd, from Modiphius Customer service said on Oct 3rd, "
Apoloiges for the delay, we are submitting this to the Smiteworks, so please expect it sometime soon. Unfortunately I cannot give a time frame for it at this time." If Modiphius said they were submitting it a week ago, what would have held things up? This is the annoying bit about dealing with 3 different company's that don't communicate directly with each other. I'll go back to Modiphius again. I wish someone would give regular updates though.

Moon Wizard
October 10th, 2021, 02:32
We do not give any dates or even estimates until we have the DLC in our hands and it has gone through an initial quality review on our end. We have found that delivery of DLC can be impacted by many, many factors outside of our control with both the DLC developer and publisher. I think that Derek was being a little tongue-in-cheek with the Soon(tm) kind of answer; because all we know is that it is actively being worked on last we heard a couple weeks ago. In general, I don't count on anything actually being "done" until we have the files in our source control and it has passed an initial review. Also, you should expect that rulesets will take longer to QA than normal DLC, because they are much more complex and require more time for basic testing which means they will most likely need multiple rounds of review.

Unless you see an answer directly from us that they have been submitted and we are in QA, review or finalizing, then I would take any other estimate given with a grain of salt. Ultimately, we are the last stop for publishing on the Fantasy Grounds platform, so if we haven't seen the files, it isn't close.

Regards,
JPG

Jonbens
October 10th, 2021, 02:56
Fairly direct, which is something we haven't been getting from Modiphius or Nerdeye. Would it be possible to get regular updates once its been handed off? The one thing that's been missing is any sort of idea about what part of the process the project is in. We're more or less been forced to read the tea leaves in scraps of info we're able to get on the various forums or from customer service. Thoughts?

Moon Wizard
October 10th, 2021, 04:11
We usually don't give updates; because we could end up passing the DLC back to developer after initial review finds issues, and then they could disappear for three months. (It's happened before.) I just wanted to clarify, since there seems to be some misinformation floating around. To be clear, we have not received any files at this time, and we have no idea what kind of state that the system is in at this point.

Regards,
JPG

cboillot
October 10th, 2021, 04:50
Thanks. We are just very anxious to get our hands on this for FG. The sooner I can ditch that other 20 sided VTT, the better, as all my other games are on here.

cboillot
October 10th, 2021, 04:57
That Discord link doesn't work for me.

Hmm... you might have to be a member to view it. https://discord.gg/bTJX9a22n2

Oct 5, 2021
[11:00 PM] SANS𝕕𝟚𝟘 (He/Him/DM)[-5GMT]: So far so good, right?
[11:26 PM] Statik: Sorry, been sick the last couple days. We did get it back for a couple visual edits. Hopefully have it back to them soon.

Rereading it, it could be that they got it back from Mōdiphiüs and had to do the edits before sending it of to Smiteworks.

johnecc
October 10th, 2021, 05:25
As MoonWizard has said, that’s the reason they don’t provide updates. Things get misinterpreted when people don’t specify who it is with.

It’s apparent that people are passionate for the ruleset, but I don’t think asking every few weeks for a staus update is going to speed anything up. Each company has its own precesses and workloads. STA is not the only item any of them are solely focused on.

Just chill out and be pleasantly surprised when it arrives.

Note: This is just my opinion, I am not involved in any of the companies involved.

Piromides
October 10th, 2021, 21:02
Infinity rpg Coreset is what we need!

Jonbens
October 10th, 2021, 21:37
I've gotten the core rules on that, but haven't played it yet. How do you find it?

Jonbens
November 2nd, 2021, 02:58
Has anyone heard any more updates with STA. Last heard it was pushed back to Smiteworks for changes.

Sunspoticus
November 2nd, 2021, 14:43
Has anyone heard any more updates with STA. Last heard it was pushed back to Smiteworks for changes.
We've been doing a few revisions based on Smitework's feedback. So its still in process.

Jonbens
November 2nd, 2021, 17:10
We've been doing a few revisions based on Smitework's feedback. So its still in process.

Ah...great to hear. There was a rumor that this may have been due to a new change in CoreRPG's code. Thanks for getting back to me.

Moon Wizard
November 2nd, 2021, 18:20
While there are some minor changes needed for the new CoreRPG updates long-term, there are other several revisions that are not related to the new updates needed as well.

Regards,
JPG

kessler25
November 2nd, 2021, 22:19

It'd be a great Christmas present... even if it was available on December 24. (crosses fingers)

Jonbens
November 3rd, 2021, 14:31
Thanks Moon Wizard.

JWB

Jonbens
November 19th, 2021, 17:53
Hi...has anyone heard any news or updates?

Jonbens
December 13th, 2021, 03:47
Well, been awhile since its been asked here. Is there any update on getting the campaign set for Star Trek Adventures finished, Anyone heard any news?

Hurske
December 13th, 2021, 03:49
Have you looked at the Foundry version of star trek Jon, this thing is taking so long I pretty much dumped it in favor of another VTT.

Jonbens
December 13th, 2021, 04:20
Have you looked at the Foundry version of star trek Jon, this thing is taking so long I pretty much dumped it in favor of another VTT.

Foundry has a completed star trek adventures campaign set?

timdog88
December 19th, 2021, 19:35
Pretty sure it’s just vaporware at this point. Thing is, due to the supposed official ruleset, folks stopped working on and supporting the fan made rulesets so now there really no good way to play

Sunspoticus
December 19th, 2021, 20:29
Pretty sure it’s just vaporware at this point. Thing is, due to the supposed official ruleset, folks stopped working on and supporting the fan made rulesets so now there really no good way to play
Hate to disappoint ya but STA is far from "vaporware" actually. It was submitted for approvals and kicked back for some revisions. That coupled with the fact I have a full time job besides, means I ain't living and breathing fg rulesets. Now that the last patch is out and I've got some vacation time I'll be working on it next week.

Jonbens
December 19th, 2021, 23:04
Great to hear Sunspoticus! That patch seemed huge. Hope its not too much extra work the threw at you and Hopefully we'll have a bit more good news coming in the next week or so. Also, enjoy your vacation. Just getting done with a few days of vacation and needed it. Hopefully we'll have a bit more good news coming n the next week or so.

Jonbens
December 27th, 2021, 19:38
Hi Sunspoticus. Any updates on the STA Rules?

Sunspoticus
December 30th, 2021, 03:25
Few remaining items to address, which I've been working on the last few days. Getting really close to resubmitting...

Jonbens
December 30th, 2021, 04:48
Great to hear! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Sunspoticus.

Jonbens
January 4th, 2022, 17:19
Hi again. Any updates on resubmission? Maybe this week?

Moon Wizard
January 4th, 2022, 17:28
I do not have any code commits in our store DLC code repository since the original commit in October. Once it has been committed by the DLC developer, it will probably need a few weeks of back and forth to make sure it follows our coding standards; then a couple weeks to get all the store images and entries sorted. My estimate is that it will be at least a month after re-submission occurs (which is outside of our control).

Regards,
JPG

Jonbens
January 6th, 2022, 16:48
Hi again. Thanks for the Update.

Jonbens
February 7th, 2022, 16:53
Hi Guys, any new Updates on Star Trek Adventures Campaign Set? Haven't heard anything in a few weeks.

Sunspoticus
February 7th, 2022, 16:57
Have a few issues to work out on the combat tracker, a lil cleanup, and we made a change in the ruleset that affects corebook data.. Get those resolved, run a round of our own testing (play a game with it) and then we should be good.

Jonbens
February 7th, 2022, 18:00
Any chance I could be involved in the Play Test Game:)

Jonbens
February 18th, 2022, 14:38
Hi Guys, just checking again on any updates about ST:A Campaign Set for Fantasy Grounds. Anyone heard if its getting closer to Resubmission from Nerdeye?

Jonbens
February 19th, 2022, 20:41
Anything at all on ST:A for Fantasy Grounds? Update would be appreciated.

viresanimi
February 19th, 2022, 21:04
Look. I could go into a long tale about the development of Vampire and how long that took and what a shitshow the launch was.. Safe to say: Patience my young padawan.... eh... wrong universe. Anyhooo... seriously. If this comes out before 2024. Be happy!

vegaserik
February 21st, 2022, 09:08
As your teacher, Mr. Spock, is fond of saying, 'I like to think there always are ...possibilities.' ... Admiral Kirk in Star Trek II ... but I wouldn't expect anything for a couple months, quality takes a LONG time and that's if it doesn't get sent back again.

Jonbens
March 8th, 2022, 19:13
Well, patience is a virtue, just not one of mine. Lol. Besides, been waiting since the beginning of the Pandemic and before. I think I have the right to get a little itchy about it. I'd love to be able to run more online and can't wait for a supported campaign set that helps a bit more with the Combat. I love the system, but have had a lot of complaints from my group about combat rules, especially Starship Combat, and anything that makes it run more smoothly will be a big help.

Jonbens
April 18th, 2022, 03:07
So, a month later and I feel like its about time to ask about updates on getting the Star Trek Adventures rules set released. Does anyone have any Idea of a time frame here?

vegaserik
April 21st, 2022, 19:06
No, you'll have to ask Nerd Eye (the devs).

Jonbens
April 22nd, 2022, 02:05
Thanks Vegaserik. I'm just going to let it go though. I'm pretty disappointed in the whole thing. I've given it 2 years and more, paid my $10 a month to be able to run a community version that isn't supported, waiting for an official product that supports the game I've been trying to run. All I seem to get for asking 'when' is 'We don't know', 'Its the other guy's fault' (Dev or Smiteworks, depending on who I'm asking), 'be patient and stop asking, or just, 'we don't answer that question'. That's just not great customer service and makes me feel like the smaller games (i.e. 'not' DnD 5e) are not really held in much importance. I think I'm going to take some previous advice, suspend paying for a bit and try foundry. Stay safe everyone.

Moon Wizard
April 22nd, 2022, 03:15
This is exactly why you haven't heard anything from us officially as SmiteWorks on a STA official product. Any systems other than D&D and Pathfinder/Starfinder are driven entirely by community developers. Because they are community developers and developing on their own schedules, we have no control over if or when a final project might be delivered.

To be clear, we have received exactly one prototype of the STA ruleset back in October 2021; and it did not work with the base system well enough for us to consider a paid product release. We sent back to developer with advice/suggestions on how to address the issues. Since then, we have received no further updates on this product, other than the ones you have seen on the forums.

We're hoping to have some news on other Modiphius products soon which I think you will like, but this one was already being worked on by a developer contracted by Modiphius.

Regards,
JPG

vegaserik
April 22nd, 2022, 07:41
Thanks Vegaserik. I'm just going to let it go though. I'm pretty disappointed in the whole thing. I've given it 2 years and more, paid my $10 a month to be able to run a community version that isn't supported, waiting for an official product that supports the game I've been trying to run. All I seem to get for asking 'when' is 'We don't know', 'Its the other guy's fault' (Dev or Smiteworks, depending on who I'm asking), 'be patient and stop asking, or just, 'we don't answer that question'. That's just not great customer service and makes me feel like the smaller games (i.e. 'not' DnD 5e) are not really held in much importance. I think I'm going to take some previous advice, suspend paying for a bit and try foundry. Stay safe everyone.

Yeah unfortunately Smite Works has very little to do with it. They only run it through quality checks once it's given to them. Nerd Eye did Conan which after two years of being out still isn't to where I'd expect a $45 ruleset to be. You're not the only one disappointed with Nerd Eye.

stephan_
April 22nd, 2022, 11:10
paid my $10 a month to be able to run a community version that isn't supported

We've had some pretty good experiences (and no major issues) with the 2022 community version (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72408-Star-Trek-Adventures-2d20-Ruleset). You'll need to input the data yourself but that's generally doable.

Jonbens
April 22nd, 2022, 15:04
Yeah unfortunately Smite Works has very little to do with it. They only run it through quality checks once it's given to them. Nerd Eye did Conan which after two years of being out still isn't to where I'd expect a $45 ruleset to be. You're not the only one disappointed with Nerd Eye.

Hi Vegaserik. I get that, but it was Smiteworks that hired Nerd Eye and haven't really done anything about it. He's one guy doing the project on his off time. I may be wrong, but I think they picked the lowest bidder and it shows. I get the feeling this wouldn't have happened if a game by Wizards of the Coast, or Paizo were involved. In any case, this campaign has been important to me. Just to provide context, I've always wanted to run a TOS Star Trek Game...I mean for decades. But I never had the right system, or enough players who were interested in that sub-sub genre. I finally have both, but I feel like I picked the wrong VTT, or in any case, chose to stay with the wrong one. I don't know. I'm just afraid that the lack of official support is really beginning to threaten my players desire to stay with the campaign. The Community build, the early one from a few years ago, was a starting point, but its never been functional enough.

Jonbens
April 22nd, 2022, 15:07
Hi Stephen. I'll give the 2022 community build another look before I shove off completely. Thanks.

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2022, 15:28
... but it was Smiteworks that hired Nerd Eye and haven't really done anything about it.
Nerd Eye approach Modiphius directly, Smiteworks had no involvement with the selection of ruleset developer. Hence Moon Wizard's comment earlier in this thread: "...this one was already being worked on by a developer contracted by Modiphius."

Jonbens
April 22nd, 2022, 16:29
Nerd Eye approach Modiphius directly, Smiteworks had no involvement with the selection of ruleset developer. Hence Moon Wizard's comment earlier in this thread: "...this one was already being worked on by a developer contracted by Modiphius."

Well that's kind of screwed up (for Smite Works I mean) but the result is unfortunately the same...Its just taking too long.

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2022, 16:44
Well that's kind of screwed up (for Smite Works I mean) but the result is unfortunately the same...Its just taking too long.
I agree, it's annoying and, from an outside view, taking way too long. If you want to complain, I'd recommend contacting Modiphius directly. As Nerd Eye are contracted to Modiphius, it's them who can try to get the ruleset expedited; Smiteworks have little/no leverage in this instance.

Egheal
April 22nd, 2022, 17:08
I agree, it's annoying and, from an outside view, taking way too long. If you want to complain, I'd recommend contacting Modiphius directly. As Nerd Eye are contracted to Modiphius, it's them who can try to get the ruleset expedited; Smiteworks have little/no leverage in this instance.

It is exactly what I have done. No response from Modiphius though... But if we are enough to contact them perhaps it could change their behavior.

Jonbens
April 22nd, 2022, 19:16
The problem with that tac is that while Modiphius has the contract with Nerd Eye, the ongoing issue is between Nerd Eye and Smite Works. From what I understand, Smiteworks keeps adding in major changes to their core code, requiring NerdEye to go back in and rewrite the code for the specific game set for STA ( also Conan, since its the same guy.) That was just about a complete rewrite last I heard from the Dev. As far as I can tell, this has happened multiple times. Smite Works, on the other hand, says they try to get the Devs in general not change any of the really central code, but that they do anyway. They blame that for the degree of changes and how long it takes. Essentially they keep blaming each other. I think that Modiphius should have contracted a more robust Developer.

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2022, 20:51
The problem with that tac is that while Modiphius has the contract with Nerd Eye, the ongoing issue is between Nerd Eye and Smite Works. From what I understand, Smiteworks keeps adding in major changes to their core code, requiring NerdEye to go back in and rewrite the code for the specific game set for STA ( also Conan, since its the same guy.) That was just about a complete rewrite last I heard from the Dev. As far as I can tell, this has happened multiple times. Smite Works, on the other hand, says they try to get the Devs in general not change any of the really central code, but that they do anyway. They blame that for the degree of changes and how long it takes. Essentially they keep blaming each other. I think that Modiphius should have contracted a more robust Developer.
I wouldn't say the ongoing issue is specifically between Nerd Eye and Smiteworks. All the other ruleset developers seem to cope with the changes that Smiteworks have made over the last couple of years. It's extra work, yes, but it's not insurmountable. And you reap what you sow - if you make a lot of changes to the core code then if that core code changes you will have to do more work to keep compatibility. Like I said in my previous post - direct your complaints to Modiphius if you want to see results, Smiteworks have no/little leverage in this situation, and they're not going to stop their ongoing functionality changes for a ruleset they have no control over. The majority of people on these forums want new functionality and many complain about the speed of those changes as it is - any ruleset developer has to be able to cope with ongoing changes, and Smiteworks always offer help (changes available for weeks in the test channel, details of where to make changes, assistance in making those changes, etc.).

timdog88
April 22nd, 2022, 21:34
Yea, it is frustrating, but the truth is that it’s vaporware. It’s never going to come out, unless modiphius decides to find another developer, and even if it did come out, it would probably be terrible like Conan. It’s even more of a shame that modiphius has some really killer IP, like dune and Star Trek, but it seems that their decision to hire nerd eye means that we will never get full releases of any of their systems.

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2022, 21:42
It’s even more of a shame that modiphius has some really killer IP, like dune and Star Trek, but it seems that their decision to hire nerd eye means that we will never get full releases of any of their systems.

Maybe, maybe not...

We're hoping to have some news on other Modiphius products soon which I think you will like, but this one was already being worked on by a developer contracted by Modiphius.

Jonbens
April 22nd, 2022, 23:35
Well, again, the only one I'm currently interested in is STA and that seems like its probably Vaporware at this point, regardless of who's fault it is. I'm just tired of waiting and getting conflicting information.

Trenloe
April 26th, 2022, 15:48
It’s even more of a shame that modiphius has some really killer IP, like dune and Star Trek, but it seems that their decision to hire nerd eye means that we will never get full releases of any of their systems.
Or maybe we will...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=MUH052191FG

Egheal
April 26th, 2022, 16:09
That seems very nice! I'm not into Fallout though but I hope that Dominic Morta will get other Modiphius products like Dune or ST.

Jonbens
April 26th, 2022, 16:58
That seems very nice! I'm not into Fallout though but I hope that Dominic Morta will get other Modiphius products like Dune or ST.

Dominic Morta?

Trenloe
April 26th, 2022, 17:00
Dominic Morta?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50938-SmiteWorks-adds-2-new-Ruleset-Developers-to-the-team&p=453047&viewfull=1#post453047

Valarian
April 26th, 2022, 18:11
Not an official ruleset, but I've done a community ruleset for Dune (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?71942-CoreRPG-for-Dune-Adventures-in-the-Imperium). I'm currently using this to run my own game.

Ryuson
April 27th, 2022, 01:13
This is phenomenal! Thanks for posting this.

dmbrown
April 27th, 2022, 01:35
I would guess that Smiteworks could use the Fallout ruleset as a base to create other 2d20 rulesets Modiphius hasn’t contracted with nerdeye, if they wanted.

ShotGun Jolly
May 6th, 2022, 17:00
Sorry for all the Star Trek fans who been waiting for this

But if fallout is as good as it appears, maybe there is some hope that it can be redone to this standard.

Jolly

Jonbens
May 8th, 2022, 23:27
An only hope, but if Nerd Eye has a formal agreement with Modiphius, there may not be much they can do unless they can get around the contract.

Jonbens
May 31st, 2022, 06:56
So, out of curiosity, was there ever any movement on Nerdeye resubmitting STA? Any news?

cboillot
May 31st, 2022, 07:00
Sorry for all the Star Trek fans who been waiting for this

But if fallout is as good as it appears, maybe there is some hope that it can be redone to this standard.

Jolly

Thanks. But before being redone, can we at least get a 1.0 release? its been about 2 years since we were told there was going to be a beta.

Jonbens
May 31st, 2022, 07:08
Thanks. But before being redone, can we at least get a 1.0 release? its been about 2 years since we were told there was going to be a beta.

I think the issue is that the last version submitted by Nerdeye was a no go. Wouldn't work, or work completely with the current setup. I'm with you though. I would have paid for a partial build just to save having to learn a new VTT.

Moon Wizard
May 31st, 2022, 08:34
There is a community ruleset available here:
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/486/view

I have not heard anything further on the original project. This is one of the reasons why we don't announce our own projects until they are queued for launch; because we never know if or when they will reach a final completion state. We recommend this approach for other developers as well.

Regards,
JPG

kessler25
June 8th, 2022, 17:13
So now that we have not one but two 2d20 rulesets thanks to the great efforts of Superteddy57, who do we talk to about wrestling Conan and STA from Nerd Eye and throw our lot in with superteddy57?

SampsonSteel
June 8th, 2022, 20:17
dune just got released where is star trek money in hand. come on guys been waiting since 2015. i know it is on more core but i need a proper release. any idea? sorry to be so pushy.

ddavison
June 8th, 2022, 22:14
We (SmiteWorks) are not currently working on Star Trek Adventures.

We did Fallout and Dune to make sure those had a good experience that we could control directly. Those two games had not been previously assigned or contracted out to any other third-party developers, and therefore it was simple for us to do from a contractual standpoint. Conan was developed by Nerd Eye Games and could really benefit from an update or overhaul for customers that already purchased it. Star Trek would be a new product that people have been clamoring for and the ruleset that was submitted to us by Nerd Eye Games was sent back for rework so that it wouldn't suffer from some of the same issues that negatively impacted Conan. We will be reviewing sales of Fallout and Dune and weighing that against the development costs of those products. With this info, we plan to speak with Modiphius to discuss other properties, including Conan and Star Trek Adventures. I'm not sure what agreements may be in place between Modiphius and Nerd Eye Games and it is not my place to discuss those publicly.

kessler25
June 9th, 2022, 17:55
fair enough. thanks for the update

stephan_
June 9th, 2022, 18:14
For what it's worth, using sirnoobsauce's free ruleset (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72408-Star-Trek-Adventures-2d20-Ruleset) has worked very well for our group.

ddavison
October 11th, 2022, 15:11
Update.

After the success of the Fallout RPG and the ease with which SuperTeddy was able to build Dune, we decided to build Star Trek Adventures internally as well. It has just been released.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=MUH051060FG

The new forum thread for any reported bugs and feedback is here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?137-Star-Trek-Adventures-2d20

BlackAnvil
October 12th, 2022, 22:48
That's great news for Start Trek players, any update on the Conan ruleset? It really feels like many of us have been ripped off by purchasing a ruleset that was never properly finished off by the developer.

ddavison
October 12th, 2022, 23:08
Conan was outsourced directly from Modiphius to Nerd Eye Games and Nerd Eye Games is no longer working on the system. If there are any bugs or errors in the system, SmiteWorks will look and see if these can be resolved by us. If we were to take it back in-house, we would most likely look at a complete re-write that would build upon the engine that Superteddy built for Fallout, Dune, and Star Trek Adventures. We would probably be able to reuse any graphics because those are owned by Modiphius.

vegaserik
October 14th, 2022, 09:24
Conan was outsourced directly from Modiphius to Nerd Eye Games and Nerd Eye Games is no longer working on the system. If there are any bugs or errors in the system, SmiteWorks will look and see if these can be resolved by us. If we were to take it back in-house, we would most likely look at a complete re-write that would build upon the engine that Superteddy built for Fallout, Dune, and Star Trek Adventures. We would probably be able to reuse any graphics because those are owned by Modiphius.

I really hope you guys decide to fix up Conan. I know it's alot of work and probably not many more sales than have already happened for it. Or find someone who'd take it over and do it justice.

Ranzarok
October 20th, 2022, 03:16
I really hope you guys decide to fix up Conan. I know it's alot of work and probably not many more sales than have already happened for it. Or find someone who'd take it over and do it justice.

If I had the programming chops to do it I would. I had a blast working on the Conan2d20 extension for classic years ago and am an avid player. I recently did some work (graphics) for the Foundry VTT Conan system and would like to see FGU Conan updated as I own that one too. Hopefully some one will in the future.