PDA

View Full Version : Template Trouble

Sylvesr
September 10th, 2020, 04:34
Travellers,
I am trying to learn how to build/use STORY and the FG User manual's one page instruction is unhelpful. Is there a more detailed step by step help sheet already out there? I have searched the forum but am not having any luck.

Pathetic background tale of woe: I downloaded the MGT2 Adventure Template and started to build my Story using that but somehow buggered it up. I deleted it from my FG file folders, and re-downloaded it to start fresh. However, after reboot the same Adventure Template reloaded with my messed up stuff. (I originally was trying to build my home grown campaign using Notes and when I drug those into Story they scrambled, in some instances all that came over was blank data). It is driving me crazy.

Thank you if anyone can assist.

Moon Wizard
September 10th, 2020, 05:57
Try going to the Library, clicking the Modules button, right click on the module, and select the Revert Changes option. This will reset the module back to the original state.
If you only want to Revert one record, find the record in the campaign lists from the sidebar, then right click, and select Revert option.

Is this the wiki page you looked at?
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/1048660/Using+Story+Templates+to+Create+Random+Stories

Regards,
JPG

Sylvesr
September 10th, 2020, 13:26
JPG,
SPOT ON!!
Thank you. I am one of the Corona Warriors stuck hiding at home now as one of the high risk members of the population and have pretty much nothing to do but FG and trying to figure this not so intuitive beast out. Trying to suss out how to build a Traveller campaign module with elements to share and keep not public for referee use is boggling my mind. You sorted in moments what killed my day yesterday. Much appreciated.

No. the wiki was not where I was drawing my instruction but from the FGU User Manual.

Sylvesr
September 10th, 2020, 13:36
I find the wiki you pointed to a disappointment for Traveller gamers. I find all the guide pages only pertains to D&D. A search turns up community pages but only for the D20 and the classic but nothing for the MGT2 Traveller game rule set. Had I known going in that the MGT2 Traveller rules was a work in progress I don't think I would have plunked down the nearly $200 for the game and supplemental rules. But I am in it now so trying to bludgeon my way to gaining insight and one day actually running a game for my friends. Until then... Roll20 is where we play.

Sylvesr
September 10th, 2020, 13:42
So I have reset my STORY now. Before I begin rebuilding the pages, should I first use the NOTES to do all my editing and settings for public or not; or work directly in the STORY template? In the STORY template there is no way to keep Referee only information from player's, but in NOTES there is the button for public or not.

In the original draft of my campaign I built the pages in notes, then linked them into the STORY. That is where I began having errors with the data.

This is level of detail is why I am casting about looking for a users manual better than FGU's PDF with one page for STORY building.

superteddy57
September 10th, 2020, 15:13
I find the wiki you pointed to a disappointment for Traveller gamers. I find all the guide pages only pertains to D&D. A search turns up community pages but only for the D20 and the classic but nothing for the MGT2 Traveller game rule set. Had I known going in that the MGT2 Traveller rules was a work in progress I don't think I would have plunked down the nearly $200 for the game and supplemental rules. But I am in it now so trying to bludgeon my way to gaining insight and one day actually running a game for my friends. Until then... Roll20 is where we play.

Many of the topics covered in the wiki can be used in other rulesets. This is aimed at the CoreRPG features. The other rulesets share these features and if you learn it in one ruleset, it's applicable in another. Yes, Traveller has some new features to help run that system that may be not covered, but topics like tables, stories, story templates, encounters, and such are CoreRPG features.

So I have reset my STORY now. Before I begin rebuilding the pages, should I first use the NOTES to do all my editing and settings for public or not; or work directly in the STORY template? In the STORY template there is no way to keep Referee only information from player's, but in NOTES there is the button for public or not.

In the original draft of my campaign I built the pages in notes, then linked them into the STORY. That is where I began having errors with the data.

This is level of detail is why I am casting about looking for a users manual better than FGU's PDF with one page for STORY building.

Story entries can be shared with players for them to see the contents of the record. Commercial products tend to keep Story entries as main resource for tracking your adventure, but will link sharable links within the entry as you did. You might get some great mileage out of checking out some guides and seeing some YouTube videos. There is also a Fantasy Grounds College that provides classes on the various topics as well.

This is a bit older, might help in providing more information on some uses for various things:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

Here is a great set of videos that can give you some more information. Yes it's focused on D&D, but again, most concepts can be used in other rulesets:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Zacchaeus55

Sylvesr
September 10th, 2020, 15:29
Thank you ST57. I will peruse those links and suggestions.
Sylvesr

MadBeardMan
September 10th, 2020, 15:51
Thank you ST57. I will peruse those links and suggestions.
Sylvesr

If someone wants to help write the documentation for Traveller. I find documentation the last thing to do, my time is limited, if I took the months off to write the docs then less support happens and no new products, plus I then update the ruleset and have to edit those docs.

There is a plan to do them but once all the main features of Mongoose Traveller is supported.

I have setup a ko-fi page so see if I can raise the funds to buy the kit to do some vid casts showing how to do certain things.

Cheers,
MBM

Sylvesr
September 11th, 2020, 00:29
MBM,
I am just coming to realize how this program is brought about and the complexity involved. Your priority of effort is perfect. If I ever figure out how to actually use the program I'll be happy and would love to write a simple mind's how to guide for the layman... Thank you for your efforts to move this gaming environment forward.

Sylvesr
September 14th, 2020, 02:28
Does anyone have any an idea why I get this script error when I lock the star ship I was working on? Here is a screen capture.39345

esmdev
September 14th, 2020, 13:56
Does anyone have any an idea why I get this script error when I lock the star ship I was working on? Here is a screen capture.39345

It is a reported bug that I think is fixed in the next update.

Sylvesr
September 18th, 2020, 14:56
It is a reported bug that I think is fixed in the next update.

I down loaded and rebooted following the latest push. I still get the same error.

MadBeardMan
September 18th, 2020, 15:00
I down loaded and rebooted following the latest push. I still get the same error.

Do you have the Spaceshiip CT extension loaded?

Cheers,
MBM