PDA

View Full Version : Mad Nomad's 3rd Party Updater - Keep all your Extensions and Mods up to date

MadNomadGM
September 8th, 2020, 21:16
Automatically keep all your 3rd party extensions and mods up for D&D 5e to date!
Authors. Easily alert the FG community about new updates to your products.

Please note: this extension is is beta mode. So please bear with me if you encounter any issues on launch. I will work to resolve them ASAP.

This extension for Fantasy Grounds will automatically inform you of any extensions you have that are out of date, based on the best available repository of extension data. It will also provide you with a convenient list of all known extensions where you can easily go view and/or download new extensions.

The extension works by making it very easy and convenient for content authors, or anyone using the extension, to identify any updates and then make that info available to all extension users whenever they log in to FG. Also provides a simple and concise list of extensions with links to the relevant FG forum page or DMs guild page.

For any questions, please respond HERE or on my DISCORD that is linked in the extension.

Watch the video to get a full explanation and demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUf1H0XRbOY

The extension is available for FREE on DMs Guild here: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/327667/Mad-Nomads-3rd-Party-Updater

EllivasKram
September 8th, 2020, 22:46
Hi - The new 'Mad NoMad 3rd Party Update' tool is always saying some extensions are outta date?

Clearly Automatic Flanking and Range is newer than your DB list and a few others

When I try to report issue you cannot type 1.5.1 as periods are not allowed in html form.. it allow 151 only

MadNomadGM
September 9th, 2020, 00:37
Ah good point. I should clarify that in my form. I'd prefer if authors didnt use that form of versioning, because it becomes hard to do comparisons numerically. So for those kinds of versions, I keep the 1st period and drop the others. So 1.0.5 becomes 1.05
And ya I suspect there may be some version checking thats not quite right yet. I may have bad version info on some. But It'll get smoothed out quickly here. Thanks for identifying that one.

-- EDIT --

Change of plans. I think I will support the 1.2.1 style of versioning as well going forward because I am noticing some issues with comparisons that I'm going to have to address anyway in the next version.

mattekure
September 9th, 2020, 03:35
Why not just do a straight text comparison rather than a version numbering comparison. you can just say Installed Version XYZ. Known Version: ABC. if they are different, you know you either need to update, or submit an update to the listing. no numerical comparison needed and authors can use whatever numbering system they want.

MadNomadGM
September 9th, 2020, 04:54
Ya that could maybe work. Fringe case though is when you have a more current version than the extension knows about that week, it would tell you you are out of date if I did it that way Whereas with the number, even if it doesn't know v 5.8 is out, if you've got 5.8 and it thinks 5.7 is latest, it'll recognize that you're not out of date, and in fact ultimately may be able to trigger an auto update of the extension database. Also when people reported in that they have the updated xyz version, and they THINK thats the most recent, i wont have anyway to really know if xyz is more current than abc or efg or whatever.

For now, I have not seen many authors who are not using numerical versioning. So it may not be much of an issue. But if becomes problematic can maybe try something like you mention.

Trenloe
September 9th, 2020, 07:54
Moved to the Paid Creations sub-forum. Anything that isn't free (including PWYW) should be posted in this sub-forum only. Thanks.

EllivasKram
September 9th, 2020, 08:57
Can maybe devs have this tool for free to promote its use.

Trenloe
September 9th, 2020, 09:03
Can maybe devs have this tool for free to promote its use.
This extension is produced by a community developer and it's up to them how they distribute that file (within the FG limits noted in the sticky thread in this forum). If you follow the link to DMs Guild you'll see that it is "Pay What You Want" - which does allow you to get it for $0. However, if you find it useful and paid $0 initially, I suggest you re-purchase it and pay something to the developer for their time and effort.

MadNomadGM
September 9th, 2020, 14:52
I posted it there because I know some people look there for extensions as well as the forums, and I have other things on there. But no big deal.
Paying is optional and appreciated, but not required.

EllivasKram
September 11th, 2020, 08:52

It is weird, as in screenshot - Only moaning about Rob2e/Kent's and one of your own Mods...

MadNomadGM
September 11th, 2020, 14:40

It is weird, as in screenshot - Only moaning about Rob2e/Kent's and one of your own Mods...

Ya, some issues with the version comparison on a few. Beta access so can expect some bumps for a couple weeks, but next release coming this Sunday will address many of them and add support for quite a few more extensions.

EllivasKram
September 15th, 2020, 17:29
This screenshot is moaning there are new versions available. which i have and but the updater EXTN seems to not see as installed...

MadNomadGM
September 15th, 2020, 21:47
Do an update. You're using old data still. Button at the top right. And make sure you save over the old version in your extensiosn folder. Even if it had a different name. You should only have one Mad nomad 3rd party updater file in your extensions folder, even if they have slightly different names / numbers.

SmackDaddy
September 15th, 2020, 23:47
If the extensions have extra periods in them for version, MadNomad has stated this is something he's already aware of -- like version 2.0.1 becomes 2.1 or I've seen it simply ignore and say 2.0 -- there's some inconsistency in that where versions beyond 1.x are concerned.

For example, up near the top (mad1), it shows the version different than extensions listed lower down (mad2).

MadNomadGM
September 15th, 2020, 23:51
Actually I should now support that versioning format. The main issue is that he needed to update. You will know if you have the new version because it also contains a UI change. You'll see some new buttons like in your screen shots.

But I see on your screen shots you do have at least a semi new versions. I thought I fixed those version numbers so maybe try reloading again? If not I'll review for the next update.

MadNomadGM
September 29th, 2020, 17:48
I've just found out that Unity does not seem to currently support semantic versioning of extensions, so authors, you may want to move away from that.
Players, due to this, the updater may say you need an update even thoguh you may have the latest version. Unfortunately, there will be no way for me to tell.
For example, if you are using the updater and seeing your current version as 1.2 but the available version is 1.2.2, you may still have the correct and latest version, but Unity drops the last digits. ".2"
Luckily this is not an issue for many extensions, and even for thos eimpacted, you will still see if when there is a significant change to the extension because it will likely go from 1.2.2 to 1.3.0 for example, but something to be aware of.

SilentRuin
September 29th, 2020, 22:49
I've just found out that Unity does not seem to currently support semantic versioning of extensions, so authors, you may want to move away from that.
Players, due to this, the updater may say you need an update even thoguh you may have the latest version. Unfortunately, there will be no way for me to tell.
For example, if you are using the updater and seeing your current version as 1.2 but the available version is 1.2.2, you may still have the correct and latest version, but Unity drops the last digits. ".2"
Luckily this is not an issue for many extensions, and even for thos eimpacted, you will still see if when there is a significant change to the extension because it will likely go from 1.2.2 to 1.3.0 for example, but something to be aware of.

Based on this renamed version of DeathIndicator to be 4.11 (instead of 4.10.4).

bmos
November 8th, 2020, 21:35
I'm seeing a ton of errors when loading this under PFRPG.
Is this only for a particular ruleset?

SilentRuin
November 25th, 2020, 19:13
I keep up my extension versions religiously - but I note now 4/5 of my extensions are out of date after a month of updating. Do I need to update them all again? Have they been lost? Yes, I've updated data weekly but nothing changes.

Your extension shows

5E - Death Indicators (Extended) FGU 4.14 4.13
5E - Generic Actions FGU 1.9 1.8
5E - Polymorphism FGU 1.8 1.7
5E (and more) - Equipped Effect FGU 1.2 1.2
5E (and more) - Map Parcel FGU 1.7 1.6

As you can see only one is up to date. The version updates I've sent to your web page range from a month ago to this last few days. I was under impression they were updated about once a week, so can understand one of these not being up to date but not the others. Let me know what I need to do for these to be updated.

MadNomadGM
November 26th, 2020, 03:18
I'll take a look at it. I think it has to do with there being an FGU and non-FGU version. I may not have updated it correctly because of that. Gets a little confusing when there are similar, but different named extensions. I'll get a new version out tomorrow with these updates.
Also keep in mind, that if the extensions dont have unique names in the extension.xml itself, I won't be able to tell them apart. Not saying that is the case for you, but just pointing that out. There were some extensions in past that had file names that had FGU vs non FGU, but in the extension folder, the name was identicial. That's a problem.

SilentRuin
November 26th, 2020, 03:34
I'll take a look at it. I think it has to do with there being an FGU and non-FGU version. I may not have updated it correctly because of that. Gets a little confusing when there are similar, but different named extensions. I'll get a new version out tomorrow with these updates.
Also keep in mind, that if the extensions dont have unique names in the extension.xml itself, I won't be able to tell them apart. Not saying that is the case for you, but just pointing that out. There were some extensions in past that had file names that had FGU vs non FGU, but in the extension folder, the name was identicial. That's a problem.

There is only FGU - what is this FGC you speak of? THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

Joke :) Yeah I don't ever have anything todo with FGC.

MadNomadGM
November 26th, 2020, 19:30
OK should be updated. I had multiple versions of your extensions. If you update and still doesn't look right, let me know.
And yes, someone asked, its for 5e only. Sorry. I updated the description on the original post to make that more clear.

SilentRuin
November 26th, 2020, 19:46
OK should be updated. I had multiple versions of your extensions. If you update and still doesn't look right, let me know.
And yes, someone asked, its for 5e only. Sorry. I updated the description on the original post to make that more clear.

Perfect - all up to date - thanks. Will be having a new extension in DMsG within the week for combat groups - I assume I just post to the web page as normal.

SoCalDad
December 13th, 2020, 04:56

Am getting a list of outdated mods and DMGuild saying they don't have any newer versions. Yet when clicking "update" i'm pushed to DMguid to update the same "old" file.. .suggestions? (see attached)

DMGuild Help when I asked about their Library App not downloading (what I thought incorrectly would be the most current mods)

Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

The Library Client is designed only to work with files on our servers. It will not show an update unless the title has been updated on our servers as well.

Like in the example provided, we are seeing the last update for Fantasy Grounds Automatic Flanking and Range as being back in July 2020, hence why our Library Client app isn't showing any updates as there has been no updates to the files uploaded on our site and you have the most recent file from our servers downloaded.

We have checked some of the others that we could see from your screenshot, and so far you appear to have the most recent files from our servers.

I am sorry we can not be of any further help.

You may want to reach out to the publisher of Mad Nomad's 3rd Party Updater to get further support on why it is showing the updates it is. This thread may be of some interest as someone reported a similar issue where the versions were not matching: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61588-Mad-Nomad-s-3rd-Party-Updater-Keep-all-your-Extensions-and-Mods-up-to-date
According to the readme text you can get further support from here: www.madnomadmedia.com or https://discord.gg/AyWJE5m

Thank you for your business and please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

MadNomadGM
December 14th, 2020, 05:18
So is the issue that the extension says there are new versions available for some of your installed extensions? I don't see an attachment.
Do you have multiple versions of those extensions installed?
The other possible issue is that FGU doesnt recognize the extension format that Ken uses. With the 1.0.1 type formatting.
I've alerted authors and Smiteworks but nothing I can really do about it.

SoCalDad
December 14th, 2020, 15:44
So is the issue that the extension says there are new versions available for some of your installed extensions? I don't see an attachment.
Do you have multiple versions of those extensions installed?
The other possible issue is that FGU doesnt recognize the extension format that Ken uses. With the 1.0.1 type formatting.
I've alerted authors and Smiteworks but nothing I can really do about it.

Ok, I'll check out the list again to see if any duplicates and the naming conventions...

Minethulhu
January 27th, 2021, 05:43
duplicate post

Minethulhu
January 27th, 2021, 06:02
Using way to many extensions makes me happy to see this. If you want to update the instructions for the "Update Data" button for Mac OS, the default path would be:

Macintosh HD/Users/<your username>/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/extensions

I notice that some of the extensions in the "up to date" section show that I am running something newer than what is available:

As an end user, if I want an extension to be tracked, is there anything I can do to add "unknown" extensions to your database:

Finally, not sure if it is worth reporting, but the "Roll for Initiative Addon (Beta)" reported as having an update here:

points to the original extension which had a modified version posted here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skill

but both the original and the "addon" version have been abandoned. To my knowledge 0.19 is the latest version (although there are at least 2 0.19's, one on page 1 and one modified/posted by a user on page 15 of the thread).

SilentRuin
January 27th, 2021, 17:02
If you have any of my extensions - and keep up to date with them yourself - you'll notice they are shown "newer" than what is available. I updated his web page every update - yet still I'm several versions out of date and as it no longer seems to be updated I've stopped sending in updates. Just FYI.

MadNomadGM
February 14th, 2021, 02:57
If you have any of my extensions - and keep up to date with them yourself - you'll notice they are shown "newer" than what is available. I updated his web page every update - yet still I'm several versions out of date and as it no longer seems to be updated I've stopped sending in updates. Just FYI.

This is not my top priority and its a free extension, so sometimes there are delays between when I update the data. I strive for updating every week, but sometimes its longer.

graphil
August 17th, 2021, 18:07
Nice idea but catalog is about 3 months old so everything I have is a later version than what is showing is available.

Mad Nomad
August 17th, 2021, 18:49
Did you watch the video and use the Update data button to override the version of the extension you downloaded?
The functionality has also changed since the release of Forge, so it wont be manually updated anymore, its is auto-updating based on users installed versioning. So it will look a lot different than the video but the video shows how to do the updated needed.

graphil
August 17th, 2021, 19:23
Yes did that copied into the extension folder and did a reload and was still showing i had later versions than were available.

BloatedNikNak
March 4th, 2022, 23:18
is this extension still being maintained?

Mad Nomad
March 4th, 2022, 23:22
Sorry, no. It should partially run on its own, but I am not maintaining it.

BushViper
March 7th, 2022, 15:43
is this extension still being maintained?

Many of Mad Nomad's extensions are great, but maintenance for his work is ....sub-par. Especially given the price points.

Mad Nomad
March 7th, 2022, 15:55
Many of Mad Nomad's extensions are great, but maintenance for his work is ....sub-par. Especially given the price points.

The price point of this one was... FREE.

And the forge made it mostly obsolete and hard to reconcile with the way it worked.

BushViper
March 7th, 2022, 16:00
The price point of this one was... FREE.

And the forge made it mostly obsolete and hard to reconcile with the way it worked.

Obviously, I wasn't referring to this particular extension.

Mad Nomad
March 7th, 2022, 16:20
Sorry you've experienced that. If there are maintenance issues with other extensions, please let me know via my discord. I strive to ensure full capability with all core FG functionality, and to my knowledge, all my extensions do. For example, a new change to FG just came out that broke the coin manager, and I have fixed it within 2 days. I can't guarantee compatibility with all other extensions, but I am aiming to enhance cross-extension support in the months ahead as my schedule is changing.