PDA

View Full Version : LFP: Simple, Character Driven Campaign - D&D 5th Edition (Sat 2-5 pm Central US)

Williebemacin
September 8th, 2020, 18:10
FG License: I have ultimates for both FG and FGU
Game System: D&D 5th Edition

Time Zone: Central US
Day of week and time: Saturdays from 2 pm to 5 pm (three hours)
If new game, planned start date: TBD
Planned Duration & Frequency: Weekly: One Week Play Time, One Week Community Time
Term: We will play for five sessions, break and evaluate, and decide if we want to play five more.

Text or Voice: Good microphone and a webcam is a must.
Voice software used: Zoom ( I have a professional account)
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed?: I will record and might in the future post the sessions to Youtube-- we will see.

Roleplay & Combat mix: Honestly it is up the characters you choose. Keep in mind this will be simple; I am not going all Mercer.
Number of Players in game & needed: I don't want more than six, but I am willing to go with as little as four.
Character starting level & equipment: Level 1 Start (Milestone Leveling), Standard Starting Equipment
Character restrictions: We will ONLY be using PHB races, classes, and subclasses-- the exception is the UA Ranger. I am not against any new content, I just want to keep it simple and basic here. You are free to stick with the standard backgrounds or use the template to make your own.

This is not a pre-made or pre-built campaign. I am doing absolutely no prep before I know who your characters are and what they want to do. I mean there is literally nothing planned--this is way different than what I have done with campaigns in the past but I am a writer and content creator. I need to keep this simple and not let things get out of hand. I also want the practice of letting a setting grow from a seed.

- There are no maps. ( meaning Adventure world maps, there will be major boss combat maps--otherwise we will use Final Fantasy style combat for small battles)

- There are no kingdoms or factions.

- There are no religions.

- There is no history.

- There is no plot or campaign direction.

This will not be a sanbox hex-crawler. There will be a direction once we have players and I know their characters and what they want. I do not intend to make a map and I do not plan to get too detailed about kingdom/faction backgrounds. I will try to make very interesting NPCs to interact with, which will hopefully make up for the lack of innovation elsewhere. This campaign could also be episodic, meaning that there are small stretches of downtime between each arc the party pursues.

DM/Player Expectations

1. Please read everything above. If you don't bother to read, I can't keep you--sorry.

2. You must be above the age of 26, I just want a more mature game.

3. No murder-hobos. Zero tolerance.

4. Please be willing to be a part of at least five-game and community building sessions. Community building sessions are opportunities for us to talk to one another, give feedback, discuss future direction, and just to hang out. The best games come from players who are comfortable with one another--I want that to be a priority.

5. I want a diverse game because those games are just better games. I am looking for people of all stripes--so if you are not okay with diversity and with differing perspectives do not bother to apply to this game.

6. Rather than ban all the -isms, there will be an open opportunity to call out the DM/players if they say something that you consider to be offensive or if we going into an area that is perhaps a trigger for you. We will need to be open to the correction and try to apologize and approach the situation differently. If you get defensive when someone calls you out, please do not apply for this game.

7. We will develop a list of things we will not have inside the game. These could include traumatic experiences, phobias, offensive language (whether cursing or not), themes, etc. The DM and players will stay away from anything on that list and if we accidentally stray into something on the list, there will be a warning signal.

8. Try to be on time, starting ten minutes late may not seem like such a big deal but three hours go by fast.

9. Overall, I expect people to treat each other with decency and respect. We are adults and we should settle our differences amicably. Sometimes that means someone has to leave the game--it happens. I want it done as politely and lovingly as possible.

If you have not been scared off by the above description, reply to this thread with the following:

You First Name

Sex/Ethnicity

Your Age

Why do you want to join this game?

What sort of concerns/questions do you have?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Mikenelson28
September 8th, 2020, 22:18
Mike
Male white
I'm looking for a game to join

The only concern I might have is with the maps I just like a visual to see where we are going and lay out of the land

Williebemacin
September 9th, 2020, 16:14
Hey Mike!

To answer your concern, I will be giving general directions about where everything is as you journey. I encourage the party to make maps even if they are only abstract to give them an idea of regions and so forth. Thanks for showing interest.

Soulwrack
September 9th, 2020, 18:27
Phillip
Male/Hispanic
44YOA
Why: I'm a retired educator who runs a regular Saturday Night game. Luckily we start after your 5pm finish time; also Central Time. I'm always the DM, so I never get to play. I've got a couple of really interesting character ideas I'm excited to play.
Concern: I have a headset and microphone but have never owned a webcam. I am willing to buy one though. I'm just curious why it's a must for you. Also, cannot stay past the posted 5 pm finish time as I have to drive to my local game at 6. If you ever decide to run anything during the week, I'm always available.

Williebemacin
September 9th, 2020, 21:19
Phillip
Male/Hispanic
44YOA
Why: I'm a retired educator who runs a regular Saturday Night game. Luckily we start after your 5pm finish time; also Central Time. I'm always the DM, so I never get to play. I've got a couple of really interesting character ideas I'm excited to play.
Concern: I have a headset and microphone but have never owned a webcam. I am willing to buy one though. I'm just curious why it's a must for you. Also, cannot stay past the posted 5 pm finish time as I have to drive to my local game at 6. If you ever decide to run anything during the week, I'm always available.

Hey Phillip! I believe it is good to see facial expressions and gestures when possible--it adds to the roleplay experience. I am also willing to start the game an hour earlier if that works best for people. Thanks for showing interest!

Soulwrack
September 9th, 2020, 23:32
Sure thing. Let me know when/if I'm accepted to the group and I'll run out and buy a web cam.

thomasnaz
September 10th, 2020, 00:25
Thomas
White Male

I would want to join because the concept of world building as a group as always been interesting to me. Also, I've hardly gotten to play during my time and have mostly just DM'd.

I also really like the respect for others seems to be a high priority, along with diversity. As a gay man I hope that I could add a little additional diversity myself as well. I look forward to what everyone would be able to create.

espanRebel
September 10th, 2020, 00:50
hello Mike

white male

I also do not own a webcam but am willing to buy one just give me a time to get one. I am interested in playing because I have run game for 30 years and no one seems to be willing to run. I find myself burnt out on GMing and would really like to try playing

Williebemacin
September 10th, 2020, 17:28
Thomas
White Male

I would want to join because the concept of world building as a group as always been interesting to me. Also, I've hardly gotten to play during my time and have mostly just DM'd.

I also really like the respect for others seems to be a high priority, along with diversity. As a gay man I hope that I could add a little additional diversity myself as well. I look forward to what everyone would be able to create.

Absolutely Thomas! Group world-building is new to me as well, and honestly kind of scary but I am looking forward to seeing what happens.

Williebemacin
September 10th, 2020, 17:32
hello Mike

white male

I also do not own a webcam but am willing to buy one just give me a time to get one. I am interested in playing because I have run game for 30 years and no one seems to be willing to run. I find myself burnt out on GMing and would really like to try playing

Hey Mike! Yeah I hear that a lot from DMs, seems to be too few of us and too many people who want to play. Personally, I'd rather DM than play--but I do occasionally get the itch to play.

Soulwrack
September 11th, 2020, 03:33
Go ahead and withdraw me from consideration. Can't get a web cam until next week and I'd be cutting it close time wise before my local game on Saturday anyways.

espanRebel
September 11th, 2020, 03:49
If I may when do you plan to start? And who is considered? Would like to know before I invest in a webcam��

Williebemacin
September 11th, 2020, 16:14
If I may when do you plan to start? And who is considered? Would like to know before I invest in a webcam😀

I am going to keep this open for a couple of weeks and then go from there! No rush to get a cam.

HenklemenBob
September 12th, 2020, 16:58
You First Name: Bob

Sex/Ethnicity: Male / White

Your Age: 44

I am new to D&D so the simplified game construct is appealing and would be a great opportunity to see how a DM builds a story from a few ideas. I would eventually like to DM myself. I have run some solo stuff on FGU and created characters, spent time writing backstories/developing PHB backgrounds, etc so I have some beginner experience. I also appreciate your desire to form a group of diversified players, definitely brings more to the adventure.

None really; I a familiar with Zoom and use a web cam regularly.

Thank you for your consideration.
Regards Bob H

Creature
September 12th, 2020, 18:36
Dustin
White Male
27 years old

Well, I am completely new to DnD, i may have played about 20 years ago for a few nights. Just recently started listening to DnD podcasts, and its got my interest and intrigue to start playing some games and get into some scenario's
I like the idea of a group adventure and teamwork, i am also 100% new to FantasyGrounds aha! just wanted to put that out there.

I own a webcam and Mic, Would just need some help testing the mic to make sure its not overly loud or annoying. its a big desktop mic so it picks up everything i do aha!

No concern's other then me reading the 40 min max in zoom before the call is droppped or disconnected. Not sure if that rule is for the Host of the call or for all user's

Williebemacin
September 12th, 2020, 20:34
Dustin
White Male
27 years old

Well, I am completely new to DnD, i may have played about 20 years ago for a few nights. Just recently started listening to DnD podcasts, and its got my interest and intrigue to start playing some games and get into some scenario's
I like the idea of a group adventure and teamwork, i am also 100% new to FantasyGrounds aha! just wanted to put that out there.

I own a webcam and Mic, Would just need some help testing the mic to make sure its not overly loud or annoying. its a big desktop mic so it picks up everything i do aha!

No concern's other then me reading the 40 min max in zoom before the call is droppped or disconnected. Not sure if that rule is for the Host of the call or for all user's

Hey Dustin, I have a pro account so I don't have the time limit. I can also host as many as 100 something people at once.

Paxx
September 14th, 2020, 04:51
You First Name : Mitch

Sex/Ethnicity : Oh I'm sexy.( what? that wasn't the question?) Male // German/English/Beholder descent

Your Age : : Older than you.

Why do you want to join this game? : When I started reading your essay, I actually laughed when you said you weren't going to Mercer it. Also I like the idea of not going though all the BS to start a game and it falls apart on you. " Anyone want to buy an adventure I put 80 hours into ?" Yeah you have the right idea.

What sort of concerns/questions do you have?: Just one , you are going to put down at least a battle mat and some tokens for a fight aren't you? How else are you going to judge tactics?
Yes I know you said no but mental battling ? You might as well throw out the rulebooks. :bandit:
Let me know, PM me if you can, thanks.

Williebemacin
September 14th, 2020, 13:48
You First Name : Mitch

Sex/Ethnicity : Oh I'm sexy.( what? that wasn't the question?) Male // German/English/Beholder descent

Your Age : : Older than you.

Why do you want to join this game? : When I started reading your essay, I actually laughed when you said you weren't going to Mercer it. Also I like the idea of not going though all the BS to start a game and it falls apart on you. " Anyone want to buy an adventure I put 80 hours into ?" Yeah you have the right idea.

What sort of concerns/questions do you have?: Just one , you are going to put down at least a battle mat and some tokens for a fight aren't you? How else are you going to judge tactics?
Yes I know you said no but mental battling ? You might as well throw out the rulebooks. :bandit:
Let me know, PM me if you can, thanks.

Hey Mitch! Small fights will likely be Final Fantasy style with just back and forth initiative. Larger fights will have a map of some kind, even if only a crude representation. I have plenty of tokens so no worries on monster rep.

Kaltorak
September 14th, 2020, 15:38
John

White male 56
Played AD&D since 1977 but have not played 5 E much

Just looking for a game during the day on the weekends as I have the time to do so

KrakkaKilla
September 14th, 2020, 16:33
You First Name: Dennis

Sex/Ethnicity: M / Eurasian

Your Age: 46

Why do you want to join this game? Haven't played D&D in a while, want to get back into it. Avid gamer for years and then life got in the way. Saturdays are free for me.

What sort of concerns/questions do you have? Just learning the new 5e, which i have been reading as well as using FG, which i watched some youtube vids on

Williebemacin
September 15th, 2020, 16:34
Follow up question for those still interested:

How would you define a good long-term campaign; what elements do you like to see and what do you want to avoid?

Williebemacin
September 15th, 2020, 17:09
New question above

KrakkaKilla
September 15th, 2020, 19:20

How would you define a good long-term campaign; what elements do you like to see and what do you want to avoid?

Keeping this crisp, plots twists, challenges, engaging. The things to avoid...very vanilla story telling

Kaltorak
September 15th, 2020, 23:23
I am a big fan of adventures outdoors between the adventures I guess

espanRebel
September 16th, 2020, 00:42
In depth characters and well rounded nps that are more than one Dimensional. And the gm and players having an open form of communication to address any issues that could come up. When I ran a campaign, once every three months I would have a sit down and ask if there was any issues or concerns we needed to address.

Also where the challenges put in front of the party are challenging and the party can see the results of their actions, how they made the world a better place

Williebemacin
September 16th, 2020, 15:44
Hey everyone! Because of the great response I will posting a google form to kind of get an idea of each of you as a player and the characters you would like to play. Look for it by the end of the week!

Williebemacin
September 17th, 2020, 20:16
Okay, here is the application (https://forms.gle/f2NHfXKGnyUC9biY7). Please message me if you have any questions!

Williebemacin
September 18th, 2020, 19:08
Bump

connivingsumo
September 19th, 2020, 20:47

Fun and friendship, mutual respect, and taking the game serious, but not overly serious. I would want to avoid the opposite of these things.

======
You First Name Rik

Sex/Ethnicity Male/Caucasian

Your Age 49

Why do you want to join this game? I think we have similar ideas, expectations, and goals.

What sort of concerns/questions do you have? Getting my web camera on time.

I filled out your application; if you're full already, then please add me to the waiting list. :)

I am buying a webcam, so I'll have that soon. I welcome diversity and believe in equality. My application describes a Wizard, but I have experience and desire to play Cleric, Bard, Fighter, Rogue, or Barbarian.

Paxx
September 19th, 2020, 21:37
Ok, I'm not going to answer this question, you're the DM , it's your game, you have DMed long enough to know. Don't pander. Sorry I'm grumpy, in a lot of pain. But point made.

Kaltorak
September 19th, 2020, 21:52
I was just looking for a group not interviewing for a job. Good luck

espanRebel
September 20th, 2020, 06:20
So how and when will know who has been accepted into the group?

KrakkaKilla
September 20th, 2020, 13:41
Did you pick players yet and determine a start date yet? I filled out app, but curious to know if you made the decision yet.

Williebemacin
September 21st, 2020, 16:13
Ok, I'm not going to answer this question, you're the DM , it's your game, you have DMed long enough to know. Don't pander. Sorry I'm grumpy, in a lot of pain. But point made.

Wrong. It is not just my game. It is the game of everyone at the table. I ask the question as a way to judge responses not change my game. You assume
motives because you are grumpy and in pain, using it as an excuse to be an ***. Don’t post on my games again, thanks. Point made.

Williebemacin
September 21st, 2020, 16:18
Did you pick players yet and determine a start date yet? I filled out app, but curious to know if you made the decision yet.

Hey! I plan to keep the application up for one more week. So far we have six responses. I will let you know via email if I need more info and when I make my decision.

Williebemacin
September 21st, 2020, 16:19
I was just looking for a group not interviewing for a job. Good luck

Due to the nature of this game and number of people interested it had to be that way. Sorry, best of luck finding a game to suits you.

Williebemacin
September 21st, 2020, 21:52
Please do not buy a webcam until you are picked from the game. I don't want you to go through the expense if you don't need to. We will have time before the game starts for you to grab a cam.

connivingsumo
September 21st, 2020, 22:09
Please do not buy a webcam until you are picked from the game. I don't want you to go through the expense if you don't need to. We will have time before the game starts for you to grab a cam.

I need a new one anyway, but point taken. :D

Williebemacin
September 23rd, 2020, 04:38
Bump

DarkStrider
September 23rd, 2020, 10:06
Jaime
White Male
Australian

I have both Voice and video.
I have been the DM for the last few years, was hoping to have fun with everyone and relax on a single character for a change rather than the whole campaign.
All of my sessions have mostly been theatre of the mind and half improvised on the spot.
I would love to play in your game if you still have a slot available.

Williebemacin
September 23rd, 2020, 15:47
Jaime
White Male
Australian

I have both Voice and video.
I have been the DM for the last few years, was hoping to have fun with everyone and relax on a single character for a change rather than the whole campaign.
All of my sessions have mostly been theatre of the mind and half improvised on the spot.
I would love to play in your game if you still have a slot available.

There's an application earlier in the forum! Fill it out and I will take a look. Thanks.

Lord Jeff
September 24th, 2020, 03:54
You First Name
Jeff

Sex/Ethnicity
M/White

Your Age

Getting back into D&D after a long break

Been a long time away.

History:
I started D&D in my small Iowa town in 1980. Was the town Dungeon Master. Played for a few years, and moved from Basic to AD&D.
25 years later, started a 5E group with my kids and their families for a handful of games but had to break when I move to Kuwait.
Now retired, looking to restart playing. Eventually DM but need to be a good player first and learn Fantasy Grounds...bought FG Unity Ultimate.

I look forward to hearing from you!

mightymouseae
September 24th, 2020, 05:29
Hi Austin

30 white Male

I'm looking for an online game and after reading you description I think this would be a great experience. I am a novice D&D player and have very basic fantasy ground skills (this will be my first full FG campaign). My in person campaign has become kinda sporadic and the dm is new (one player is a forever dm) but I'm looking for something more consistent and under a more experienced dm. That way I can experience the gameplay and combat in a more flood manner.
I do have a mic/headset and a webcam.

Williebemacin
September 24th, 2020, 14:25
Okay, here is the application (https://forms.gle/f2NHfXKGnyUC9biY7). Please message me if you have any questions!

Please fill out the above application to be considered. Thanks!

Williebemacin
September 24th, 2020, 18:32
I have looked at the applications submitted so far and made some notes. Great characters! Applications will be open until 9/27 and then I will make some choices. Thanks to all who have applied.

Williebemacin
September 26th, 2020, 16:29
Bump

Mikenelson28
September 26th, 2020, 16:31
You still in Iowa

Williebemacin
September 26th, 2020, 16:32
You still in Iowa

I think you have me confused with someone else. I have never lived or even been to Iowa.

Williebemacin
September 27th, 2020, 21:11
Today is the last day to fill out an application. I will close the application before I go to sleep this evening. (circa 11:30 pm Central US).

Williebemacin
September 28th, 2020, 17:16
This post is now closed. Thanks to all who applied!