PDA

View Full Version : Some (maybe) rather silly Questions about building modules.

Wizards Ghost
September 7th, 2020, 03:37
Hi,
i am just about to make a module for the 'Maze of the blue Medusa' Megadungeon.
The Book itself is 'Edition neutral', and i want to make it this way, namely i want to be able to run it with a 5e Group and a DCC Group.
So, how do i make that?

Second Question, which may be even more silly: how do i create Encounter with these variable Monster Numbers? ( as seen in Icespire Peak : 5 Monsters / PC )

Thanks for your Help,
Chris

esmdev
September 7th, 2020, 04:35
Hi,
i am just about to make a module for the 'Maze of the blue Medusa' Megadungeon.
The Book itself is 'Edition neutral', and i want to make it this way, namely i want to be able to run it with a 5e Group and a DCC Group.
So, how do i make that?

Second Question, which may be even more silly: how do i create Encounter with these variable Monster Numbers? ( as seen in Icespire Peak : 5 Monsters / PC )

Thanks for your Help,
Chris

For your second question:

Random encounters can also be programmed to create encounters based on the number of player characters. For this to work the PCs must be on the Party Sheet. To create an encounter with one NPC for each PC use '$PC' in the dice string box next to the NPC name. Multiples can be used and take the format of x*$PC. Thus 2*$PC will produce an encounter with 2 NPCs for each PC on the Party Sheet.

That is taken from the wiki: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/721028/5E+NPCs+and+Encounters

As for the first question, I think you would have to develop it for a specific system (like 5E) and then use something like the universal module to view it in DCC. I'm not sure if universal module supports DCC but I'm sure someone will be along who would know.

LordEntrails
September 7th, 2020, 06:44
As esmdev says, for your module, create it in one system. You then have a few ways to convert it to the other system. One way is to use the Universal Module Extension to open it in the other system. Then in the second system you can create the system specific stuff like encounters and treasure etc. You can also try and copy and edit the contents of the module in the xml itself.

One thing is you will want to use "Development" campaigns to create your modules in. See the link in my signature for some more Adventure Module practices.

Whatever you do, do it in small pieces. Don't do ten or twenty of hours of work and then see if converting to the other system works. Do one map, one story, one encounter one treasure parcel. Then figure out how you are going to do it to the second system. And then figure out how to update one or both modules as needed.

Zacchaeus
September 7th, 2020, 09:37
Create the module in one or the other system and export. Then unzip the module and find the definition.xml file and where it says <ruleset>5E</ruleset> change the 5E to Any and then zip it back up. You can then open the module in any ruleset.