PDA

View Full Version : Why does FGU make my computer run like crap?

shurd83
September 5th, 2020, 20:22
I'm running a Lenovo workstation. It's not a slow machine. Intel i-7 8665. 32GB RAM, SSD, Nvidia GeForce MX250. 2 monitors, 1080p.

Once FGU is open it wrecks my machine. I can't even stream Netflix on my 2nd monitor while I have FGU open. I'm normally running 3-4 VMs on this machine with a 3rd monitor no sweat.

FGU is hitting my GPU between 15%-50% all while it's just sitting there with nothing open - just the default screen. It will idle around 15% as long as I'm not doing ANYTHING else. Once I fire up Netflix FGU starts hitting my GPU at 40-50%. Whole system is laggy if I go outside of FGU. Even moving the mouse and clicking is delayed sometimes.

Can we please get some optimization so that I can plan my RPG and watch Netflix at the same time, heaven forbid? Or have a responsive desktop? My CPU and Memory appear to be fine. The only thing I'm seeing is the GPU. Are you telling me I have to have a desktop with a desktop card to use this program?

I get that it's EA. But it's been EA for a while now and it doesn't feel much better than it did at the beginning of the year. FGU wasn't cheap. I'm a very patient person but I put FGU away at the beginning because it was too slow to the point of not being usable. My first RPG session testing it out with my buddies was horrible, horrible horrible. Unusable. Here I am, over half a year later, and tonight I'll be testing it out with 6+ months of patches hoping that it creates a better user experience for all of us. If it doesn't, I'm going to have to use something else.

You long-time fan bois of the software can say what you want and make excuses around the software dev process. "Oh, they don't have the right tools." "Oh, it just takes time." I don't care. I didn't pay that much money for something to have made NO impact on making my game better after giving it the better part of a year to improve. I've seen a lot of patches go out. That's great. If I still can't play my game, none of that crap matters. I hope to high heaven that tomorrow I get on here singing nothing but praise and stuffing my foot in my mouth because the game performance was SO much better than last time (and that isn't a high bar to beat). But so far after having spend several hours working in the tool today for planning, I suspect that won't be the case.

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2020, 20:46
I'm not clear as to how much video memory there is in that card. The recommended minimum amount is 2Gb.

vaughnlannister
September 5th, 2020, 21:25
I don't know how many extensions and mods you have loaded but they still heavily impact performance on my end. So would recommend to use a bare-minimum set-up iff possible. And also use port-forwarding for the least amount of lag.

FGU still very tasking on my brand new MacBook Air2020 as well... really hope they will continue optimisation too.

LordEntrails
September 5th, 2020, 23:26
I can imagine your frustration. Performance has come a long way since 6 months ago, but obviously not far enough.

Unfortunately, you haven't provided the actionable information the devs would need to look into your issue. Please see and provide the information requeted in this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51687-How-to-Report-Issues-Bugs-and-Problems

They may also need a copy of the campaign you are loading and a list of all the mods and extensions you are trying to use.

Thanks!