PDA

View Full Version : The problem with disappearing layers - I think I've sussed it

Geometer
September 5th, 2020, 19:48
It happens when you try to create a sub-folder. It's possible to create a new folder and drag it to another folder but the system thinks you're trying to put a layer inside another layer and doesn't like it.

I've just tested this with a new image, 3 tiles and three folders. No problems moving tiles into folders or up and down the stack but as soon as I tried to put one folder into another FGU crashed.

Is there an actual way to create sub-divisions within layers?

superteddy57
September 5th, 2020, 19:57
I performed a test as well within the 5e ruleset and was able to nest folders by dragging them. These were empty folders, so does it require it to filled with layers to cause this issue? Can you provide some images to help illustrate what you are seeing?

Geometer
September 5th, 2020, 20:21
I was using folders with one tile each in them. I'm not sure how much visuals would help, there's not a lot to see, but I'll see what I can do.

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2020, 20:23
I'm not seeing any issues either. Are you running any extensions?

Geometer
September 6th, 2020, 13:39
Well, I'm baffled. I spent a while yesterday evening trying to reproduce this . For 15 minutes I very carefully tried every configuration of tiles and layers I could think of, to no avail. I then stopped being methodical and just started moving things around randomly, without paying much attention to what I was doing, and almost immediately things went wrong - everything disappeared from the layer stack except for 2 folders. When I clicked on LoS mode, everything reappeared but with the same old error message.

Pic. 1 shows the initial set up
Pic. 2 shows the set up just before I went random.
Pic. 3 shows the screen when everything had disappeared
Pic. 4 shows the screen after clicking LoS, with the error message.

This is starting get a bit annoying. For the last 2 weeks I've been trying to draw a map; nothing complicated, a simple map with some grassy background, a road, some houses and a lot of plants, basically just a test run although I intend to use it for a game I'll be starting soon. I've re-started the map 5 times. Each time, I've tried to be more careful and methodical with the layer organisation, and each time as soon as I start moving layers or tiles up and down the stack, it starts to malfunction and I lose either a tile or a folder. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what it is I'm doing to cause it, and the effects seem to be different every time. The first time it happened, I lost a folder containing an entire afternoon's work, on other occasions it's just caused a CTD. The really frustrating thing is that I've been watching Joshua Watmough's Twitch videos and I'm just itching to try out some of the techniques he's been demonstrating, but I'm finding this problem with layers really off-putting and it's holding me back.

@Zacchaeus: The only extensions I have, apart from those that come with FGU, are some of Rob Twohy's Effects Coding, but they weren't loaded for the little test campaign I created for the above.

pindercarl
September 9th, 2020, 16:56
This should have been addressed in the September 3 release build. Are you seeing this with the latest version? Thanks.

Geometer
September 9th, 2020, 21:34
This should have been addressed in the September 3 release build. Are you seeing this with the latest version? Thanks.

Yes, on the 5th and 6th. I've restarted the map, being extra careful to keep the need to move layers up and down the stack to a minimum. So far, so good.