PDA

View Full Version : New Update completely broken?

DM Vinny
September 5th, 2020, 14:01
So I havent launched FGU since I stopped playing DnD a couple of months ago. Since we are thinking of continuing our sessions again I wanted to start FGU and check my Notes and the Battle Map to see where exactly we left off..

Well, it's not possible... For the last 3 hours I tried everything in my repertoire to update and actually launch fantasy grounds. It's just not working. I am stuck in an endless Updating Loop.

I tried uninstalling through the Updater, didnt work at all, updater just got stuck at 11% and then didnt do anything anymore for 10 minutes, so I closed it.
So I uninstalled it through Windows, deleted all files (after making a backup of my Appdata files and campaign).
Then I reinstalled FGU through the link under Overview and Downloads. It installs everything through the Setup (Username, Password, License all green) then doesn't launch Fantasy Grounds. I try updating it again, it updates (downloads those 20 assets or whatever) then doesnt do aynthing. I switch back and forth between Settings and its Tabs trying to find anything that might cause this problem, dont find anything. Try all the troubleshooting options under the Troubleshooting tab. Doesnt work or help at all.

I restart my PC. Problem still the same. I do this literally five times. Always the same problem.

Also it always says Fantasy Grounds doesnt have write access. Wants Administrator access to fix the permissions (already started everything in administrator mode). I grant admin permissions and click on Fix Permissions. "Failed to fix Permissions".

I just want to look at my campaign so I can begin prepping.. Why is Fantasy Grounds so buggy and hard to use..

Please help. :(

Jiminimonka
September 5th, 2020, 16:26
What Build Channel is it set to in Settings/Advanced?

Had a look here? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58655-Updater-Troubleshooting-Tools&p=515348#post515348

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2020, 16:30
I'm not sure what the issue might be exactly but there have been many, many updates over the last couple of months including to the updater. I'd suggest deleting the install folder and download from the store page and then follow through that. Accept all of the default install locations and don't run in administrator mode (that's one of the things that were causing issues and hence why you are seeing the permissions screen).

Also it might be useful if you said what version of Windows you are using.

DM Vinny
September 5th, 2020, 18:35
Should I upload my logs folder? Does it contain any private data?

I'd suggest deleting the install folder and download from the store page and then follow through that. Accept all of the default install locations and don't run in administrator mode
Did everything as you suggested, still the same endresult, stuck in an endless update loop. Also, I still get the permission screen, even though I didnt run it in administrator mode.

Also it might be useful if you said what version of Windows you are using.
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

What Build Channel is it set to in Settings/Advanced?
39100 (not sure if I uploaded this image correctly works correctly

Had a look here? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...348#post515348
Yea, tried it all, nothing worked

Jiminimonka
September 5th, 2020, 18:49
Definitely upload logs, it doesnt contain anything private. Use the Compile logs button and it makes a zip file to upload here.

DM Vinny
September 5th, 2020, 19:07
Here are the logs. Obviously after uninstalling numerous times it probably only contains very recent logs.
The problem is still there though, so I hope this helps.

smelton
September 5th, 2020, 21:35
Here are the logs. Obviously after uninstalling numerous times it probably only contains very recent logs.
The problem is still there though, so I hope this helps.

The logs are full of unauthorized access errors .. It seems your user account doesn't have permissions to write to the C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds folder so updates are failing. I'll see if I can replicate the issue and work out a solution for you. Can you list the folder permissions on C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds folder for me? (Right-click the folder, select properties then click the security tab)

DM Vinny
September 5th, 2020, 22:06
The logs are full of unauthorized access errors .. It seems your user account doesn't have permissions to write to the C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds folder so updates are failing. I'll see if I can replicate the issue and work out a solution for you. Can you list the folder permissions on C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds folder for me? (Right-click the folder, select properties then click the security tab)

Thats very weird. I am the only user and administrator at the same time. It has always worked this way and I didnt change any windows settings in the last months.

Here is a screenshot of the security tab of C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds:

Its in german so here is the translation: I dont have permission to either change(Ändern)or write(Schreiben), or for "special permissions"(Spezielle Berechtigungen).

Sulimo
September 5th, 2020, 23:09
Thats very weird. I am the only user and administrator at the same time. It has always worked this way and I didnt change any windows settings in the last months.

Here is a screenshot of the security tab of C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds:

Its in german so here is the translation: I dont have permission to either change(Ändern)or write(Schreiben), or for "special permissions"(Spezielle Berechtigungen).

Not sure what the devs will say, however, what is shown in your screen shot is actually not your user, it is a group (two heads is always a group, single head is a user).

I'm guessing that Desktop-E5T1RMP\Benutzer is the Users group (that is what it would be in English anyway).

Comparing to my install, it looks ok as far as permissions go.
https://i.imgur.com/IctFKQN.png

Just curious, what does it say for the Administrators (Administratoren) group, since you mentioned your user is an Administrator.
https://i.imgur.com/wkJmwC4.png

You might try to confirm that in Computer Management (right click start menu>computer Management), look at Local Users and Groups>Groups (not users), and see the properties of the Administrators group, make sure your user is a member of the Administrators group.

DM Vinny
September 5th, 2020, 23:54
Just curious, what does it say for the Administrators
Same as your screenshot, all checkmarks under "Allow" are checked.

You might try to confirm that in Computer Management (right click start menu>computer Management), look at Local Users and Groups>Groups (not users), and see the properties of the Administrators group, make sure your user is a member of the Administrators group.
Local Users and Groups kind of doesnt exist in my Windows version: 39106 --> But under User Account you can see that I am Administrator 39107

I am confused haha..

Sulimo
September 6th, 2020, 00:00
Same as your screenshot, all checkmarks under "Allow."

Local Users and Groups kind of doesnt exist in my Windows version: 39106 --> But under User Account u can see that I am Administrator 39107

I am confused haha..

I forgot, you mentioned you are using Windows 10 Home. Home edition does not include the tool I mentioned (I run Windows 10 Pro, so it does have that tool).

I would defer to a dev on a fix for you.

I am in no suggesting you do the following, however, if it were me, I would uninstall the application (backup your campaign folder first), then delete the SmiteWorks folder in Program Files, re-download the installer (which currently is missing a signing certificate, so I would wait for that to be fixed), then re-install it. Again, this is what I would do, but I am not a dev, so they may have other suggestions that you might want to wait for.

smelton
September 6th, 2020, 01:03
We just posted a new installer package. Can you uninstall and then reinstall using the new installer?

DM Vinny
September 7th, 2020, 17:20
We just posted a new installer package. Can you uninstall and then reinstall using the new installer?
Done, didnt change anything sadly. It seems to me that it is exactly the same.

Here are screenshots of how it looks. The updater is simply stuck39146. Then I cancel and click on update again, then it updates but at the end it is stuck again and doesn't launch FG. 39147

I am in no suggesting you do the following, however, if it were me, I would uninstall the application (backup your campaign folder first), then delete the SmiteWorks folder in Program Files, re-download the installer (which currently is missing a signing certificate, so I would wait for that to be fixed), then re-install it. Again, this is what I would do,
Yeah I already did that countless times haha

Some of you have mentioned that I should wait for the devs to answer. Should I contact them through e-mail as well or just wait here in the forum?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. :)

smelton
September 7th, 2020, 17:42
I am a dev ;)
The build version in the screenshot you posted is not the one I expected. Let me get that fixed and we'll give it another try.

DM Vinny
September 7th, 2020, 17:48
woops double replied.

smelton
September 7th, 2020, 22:57
Done, didnt change anything sadly. It seems to me that it is exactly the same.

Here are screenshots of how it looks. The updater is simply stuck39146. Then I cancel and click on update again, then it updates but at the end it is stuck again and doesn't launch FG. 39147

Yeah I already did that countless times haha

Some of you have mentioned that I should wait for the devs to answer. Should I contact them through e-mail as well or just wait here in the forum?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. :)

The old installer was being cached by our CDN. This is now fixed and you should be able to download the updated installer. Can you uninstall, remove the c:\Program Files\SmiteWorks directory if it still exists, and then reinstall for the new installer? If this doesn't work, we can meet up on Discord and I can try walking you through some things in real time.

DM Vinny
September 8th, 2020, 23:03
The new installer won't even let me get past the setup after installing the files (stuck at continue button, after putting in the correct license number). 39196 It is the new updater as can be seen in the red circle.

I just realized that it might be because the license is paused? Could this be the case for not launching FG? Otherwise I am out of ideas. :/

If this doesn't work, we can meet up on Discord and I can try walking you through some things in real time.
Regarding the Discord, I'm gonna join it and pm you from there, then we could arrange a time that is good? Thanks for the help.

smelton
September 9th, 2020, 05:42
The new installer won't even let me get past the setup after installing the files (stuck at continue button, after putting in the correct license number). 39196 It is the new updater as can be seen in the red circle.

I just realized that it might be because the license is paused? Could this be the case for not launching FG? Otherwise I am out of ideas. :/

Regarding the Discord, I'm gonna join it and pm you from there, then we could arrange a time that is good? Thanks for the help.

Sounds good

RiverSurgesInSunlight
September 11th, 2020, 16:49
Sounds good

If you managed to fix this in your discord talk it would be great to share the solution here. My entire group is having this exact issue and the only workaround so far has been to install on a non system drive. But not everyone has one and it seems overkill to make a partition just for this.

Hive Tyrant
September 13th, 2020, 14:48
I'm having the same issue although it seems to be updating when I click check for updates. It does not seem to be adding any of the custom content that I am building.