PDA

View Full Version : What should I do next? (Maps & Tokens)

Ryuson
September 5th, 2020, 04:52
So, finally ran a one-shot tonight. Game and players were great.

We ran into a problem though. For the second encounter, the players were not able to move their tokens. The PCs were on the combat tracker. I dragged them onto the new map. But they weren't able to move their tokens. I even cleared the tracker, dragged the PCs back to the tracker and placed them on the map again. That didn't work.

Any reason for this?

What should I do next? Should I rebuild the map and the encounters on them?

The map was purchased. But I placed tokens (but not creatures) on it. The tokens reflected special areas in the map. Did that cause the problem?
The map did not have a mask on it, but I added it after I placed encounters (tokens from those encounters).
The map had several encounters on it - one for each "section" of the map. Would that have caused a problem?

Any advice or idea on what to do next would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bonkon
September 5th, 2020, 05:57
Good Day Ryuson :)
Guessing it was 5E you were playing, but could be any system. Were you in FGC or FGU? Did you have any extensions running? I know in FGC if you have certain extensions (5E Combat Enhancer is one I know of) it creates layers on the map and, if I remember right, the mask will go on the bottom layer and the tokens should be on the top layer. So if you had one of those extensions running and you accidentally placed the tokens on the bottom layer (Can happen during unmasking) the players cannot interact with them. :)

Ryuson
September 5th, 2020, 06:12
Bonkon,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did leave out some needed info.

It was in FGC and 5e, yes. I don't have any community-made or unusual extensions (decal, language, theme); all have been purchased. Like no 5E Combat Enhancer. I'm just starting so I'm avoiding complicating my set up with extensions.

But the layer thing may be the reason. I was playing around with the (purchased) map when I was setting up the encounter. Hmm....

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2020, 07:50
Classic doesn't have layers.

In your original scenario dragging the tokens from one map to the other would probably not have worked since you need to place tokens on the map from the Combat Tracker. Since you tried that then my other thought is that you have locked the tokens (right click on a token and select lock). This means that the players can't move their token until the DM approves the move using the middle mouse button. Players should get a white arrow when they try to move the token.