PDA

View Full Version : Cook or Chef background?

phage83
September 2nd, 2020, 21:49
are there any extensions or mods that include the Cook or Chef background?

LordEntrails
September 3rd, 2020, 05:25
For what game system (ruleset) and from what source is this background?

phage83
September 3rd, 2020, 05:47
sorry hectic day 5e.

LordEntrails
September 3rd, 2020, 17:27
MOD: moved to 5E forums.

Not that I know of, but I'm not aware of a lot of the player options, I tend to just work with the player to give them wat they want. Depending how they envision it, probably Nature and Perception skills and Tools; Kitchen (or something)

phage83
September 3rd, 2020, 17:31
Ok thanks, currently I have him running off the wisdom checks for stuff, but thanks.

LordEntrails
September 3rd, 2020, 18:17
Whatever works for you guys. But remember that in general the background approach for 5E is that a background gets 2 skills and one tool. Then for roleplaying purposes, anything reasonable for that background they can do. Such as smithing, or driving a wagon, or cooking a meal. If you need to know how good they cook a meal, then wisdom seems the best choice to me.

The reason I chose nature and perception, is that a cook needs to know herbs and plants and animals as ingredients, and then perception as knowing how good the quality of any ingredients are, as well as how 'cooked' something is etc. But again, if a player had a different idea, I would totally go with anything sensible.

superteddy57
September 4th, 2020, 21:34
I made a halfling barbarian who was a chef. I used a skewer (rapier) and a pot lid (shield). His background was folk hero as he was a traveling chef. I worked it in that his rage was brought on from bad cooking and misuse of ingredients. I channeled my Ramsey with this one. There wasn't any real material or fluff to back it up, but I worked it into the character.

LordEntrails
September 4th, 2020, 21:56
I made a halfling barbarian who was a chef. I used a skewer (rapier) and a pot lid (shield). His background was folk hero as he was a traveling chef. I worked it in that his rage was brought on from bad cooking and misuse of ingredients. I channeled my Ramsey with this one. There wasn't any real material or fluff to back it up, but I worked it into the character.
lol, nice!