PDA

View Full Version : Creating Rollable Prey Encounter Table for Pirates of Drinax

jp1971
September 3rd, 2020, 13:35
Hello,

I've started working in earnest to bring in the essential bits of The Pirates of Drinax. Is it possible to get Tables to handle the roll mechanic for Prey Encounters (The Pirates of Drinax, p14)? Basically you make a d66 roll with some dms modifying the first roll and some modifying the second roll. If it's not possible, I suppose I'll just populate a text table for quick reference.

Thanks—
Jameson

esmdev
September 3rd, 2020, 14:26
Hello,

I've started working in earnest to bring in the essential bits of The Pirates of Drinax. Is it possible to get Tables to handle the roll mechanic for Prey Encounters (The Pirates of Drinax, p14)? Basically you make a d66 roll with some dms modifying the first roll and some modifying the second roll. If it's not possible, I suppose I'll just populate a text table for quick reference.

Thanks—
Jameson

I am not sure if the D66 would work, but you could do six 1D6 tables that you can link to a master 1D6 table.

Basically create the six tables first, then create the master table and link each table into the master table entry which associates with the first roll.

backwardoracle
September 3rd, 2020, 15:42
What exactly do you mean by prey? Ship encounters?

Remember, depending on the way your players want to get results will differ from group to group, my group are continually trying to balance if we hit enough imperium shipping its gonna be our heads & lets just "tax" everyone through these systems, and those that just want to get rich quick.

jp1971
September 3rd, 2020, 16:19
Thanks esmdev. I have the d66 compendium, and it takes a similar approach. I was thinking some version of this would work. Could you point to a reference for using a variable die modifier with a rollable table.

Thanks!

jp1971
September 3rd, 2020, 16:25
Hi backwardoracle! How's it going? I'm referring to the actual Prey Encounter table on page 14 of The Pirates of Drinax (i.e. red cover) book. This particular crew has a loose strategy, but I still use the random Finding Prey rules from time to time depending on where we're at in the narrative.

backwardoracle
September 3rd, 2020, 18:14
Yep, I know what your looking at, I'll see what I can do, my crew seems to have a couple or three different ideas on how to achieve the basic objectives.

Honestly, I think I missed August completely.

esmdev
September 3rd, 2020, 18:26
Thanks esmdev. I have the d66 compendium, and it takes a similar approach. I was thinking some version of this would work. Could you point to a reference for using a variable die modifier with a rollable table.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by variable die modifier.

If you mean how to setup the multi-table:

Create a master table and drag a d6 into the die window.
Enter each value, 1 1 2 2 3 3, etc.

Create the subordinate tables doing the same thing, but enter the ship that coincides with the 1st table roll and the subordinate table roll.

Then drag the top left hex for each subordinate table into the corresponding row on the master table. You can also add words for clarification after the link, like First table or Second table, whatever.

When you roll the master table it should then automatically roll the second table and produce the results in chat.

If this is not what your looking for let me know, cause I'm not entirely sure I'm answering your actual question, but I hope I am. :)

jp1971
September 3rd, 2020, 18:31
Hiya again esmdev. This is very helpful. Thanks. I'll get crackin' on this and let you know if anything else comes up. Thanks again!

backwardoracle
September 3rd, 2020, 18:42
Ahh I was looking at it from the other end, the actual encounters not table creation, really because I tend not to use tables.