PDA

View Full Version : [Bug] Map distance measurement not working when not using total numbers for grid size

Kelrugem
September 3rd, 2020, 10:17
Hi :)

As in the title I get a strange distance for pointers when I use the digits for my grid size :) (3.5e, without extensions)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39027&stc=1&d=1599124170

Only in the horizontal direction (seemingly?), it is a bit fiddly: Draw the pointer pointing to the right by one square but still hold the arrow top. When you move the mouse pointer slightly left or right of the top while it is attached to the grid, then you sometimes see how the 5 switches to a 10 or the other direction. Similar for bigger directions, maybe a rounding problem in the calculations? When one does not draw carefully, then the distance is either doubled or has 5 feet too much etc. :) For some distances it is then correct, but e.g. for two squares as in the screenshot it is then always 15 ft. :) At least it is often not really correct anymore :)

Best,

Kelrugem

superteddy57
September 3rd, 2020, 10:48
I attempted to recreate what you are running into and it is providing the correct distances. Mind you the distance for me rounds closest to the nearest 5. Have you tried to close the map and reopen it to see if it produces the correct results? I am just unfortunately not able to recreate this issue.

Kelrugem
September 3rd, 2020, 11:01
I attempted to recreate what you are running into and it is providing the correct distances. Mind you the distance for me rounds closest to the nearest 5. Have you tried to close the map and reopen it to see if it produces the correct results? I am just unfortunately not able to recreate this issue.

Hm, strange I can immediately reproduce it, reopening did not help. My version is 2020-08-26, and did you make sure that your grid size uses the first digit after the comma? Something like 50.3? :) It is maybe easier to just measure two squares, then it shows 15ft instead of 10 ft (one square is a bit wobbly, it depends on where the mouse cursor stops holding the arrow top. EDIT: Sometimes it is easier to reproduce, also this seems to depend on the position on the map)

Just some additional data I just observed: It is important that you start at the corner of a grid :) When starting in the center of a square, then the distance works well. And I only get the problem along the horizontal direction to the right, not the left! :D (very strange)

So, a very strange problem, as if the measurement tool becomes unstable under certain initial conditions. Make sure that you draw from corner to corner along the horizontal direction and the arrow top shows to the right direction as in my screenshot :)

EDIT: Okay, it is more complicated: Sometimes I have the problem in the left direction, too, sometimes not. It seems to depend on where I am on the map. And sometimes the pointer is drawn very strangely, so, I use both mouse buttons to quickly draw the pointer and sometimes the origin of the pointer is suddenly somewhere completely different on the map. But that is difficult to reproduce for me, just something I got now in the testing.

superteddy57
September 3rd, 2020, 11:07
Ok, I was able to reproduce it and I see that with a decimal it does skip some ranges. I will set up a ticket for this behavior to be investigated.

Kelrugem
September 3rd, 2020, 11:16
Ok, I was able to reproduce it and I see that with a decimal it does skip some ranges. I will set up a ticket for this behavior to be investigated.

Thank you very much :)