PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch to Classic?

Gutbucket
September 2nd, 2020, 21:21
Hello Hivemind,
I just recently began using Fantasy Grounds (unity). I have had almost no prior experience with VTT's and am not particularly tech savvy. I will be DMing a campaign soon and want my players to get the best out of their experience. I have been messing about with unity for about a week and think I am starting to get the hang of it, but I am wondering if classic (which I have never seen or tried) might be a smarter option. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

LordEntrails
September 2nd, 2020, 21:35
What problem are you trying to solve?
But, I would say "No".
FGC interface will be almost identical. FGC does not have a connection lobby, so you must either have a network that will allow port forwarding or know how to set that up yourself. FGC does not support the latest Macintosh O/S, so your players will not be able to use Catalina.

Gutbucket
September 2nd, 2020, 21:52
Thank you for the response. I was not trying to fix any problem really. I have watched a bunch of older youtube tutorials and Classic just sort of seemed to be a bit more dynamic and smoother. I had not thought about or considered port forwarding, and you are correct, that does not sound very fun to me. I have also watched some unity tutorials (all of them a bit dated I think at this point) and had heard the sentiment echoed that it might not be the best FG to run a campaign on at that moment. I figure that it is up to speed now.

Bonkon
September 2nd, 2020, 21:58
Good Day Gutbucket :)
Also look into Fantasy Grounds College, they can help get you up to speed pretty quickly I understand :)

ddavison
September 2nd, 2020, 22:35
Unless something isn't working for you under FGU that would work for you under FGC, I would recommend not moving to FGC.

There is currently no Lock Tokens mode in FGU, but otherwise you should be able to do whatever you did in FGC within FGU. You can even use FGC style image masking if you prefer that over the dynamic line of sight mode for maps.

LordEntrails
September 2nd, 2020, 23:07
As you noted, opinions on FGU not only vary by person, but by time. FGU as an open beta has had some times where some folks had a lot of problems and issues. Lots of reasons why, but in the end the software has gotten much more stable and performant. So any opinions expressed a month ago might not be valid any longer :)

Gutbucket
September 3rd, 2020, 01:34
Thank you for the responses folks.