PDA

View Full Version : Load All modules

ThingsCouldGetDicey
September 2nd, 2020, 01:10
is it possible to add a load all module buttons for players and dms so that when a new player of mine comes to setup their character they have alot of time shaved off from character creation. i have alot of modules and this would save a good 20 mins for my players and myself. i have alot of players and this time sink adds up for me. id appreciate a response in regards to this.

many thanks.

LordEntrails
September 2nd, 2020, 01:15
So a button that loads potentially 1700 modules? :)

You could make an extension to do this, but I think most people would run into problems and not want this. Your players should not need to be loading lots of modules. For instance, in 5E they might need to load the PHB and one or two source books plus a module or three of effects. And they only have to do this the first time they join your campaign or after they clear their player cache.

A Load All button won't change the load time. It would only reduce the time from when one thing loads until when the click the next button. But it would make it easier.

As with any enhancement request, you should check the Wish List and if the idea is not there, then add it :)

ThingsCouldGetDicey
September 2nd, 2020, 02:26
So a button that loads potentially 1700 modules? :)

You could make an extension to do this, but I think most people would run into problems and not want this. Your players should not need to be loading lots of modules. For instance, in 5E they might need to load the PHB and one or two source books plus a module or three of effects. And they only have to do this the first time they join your campaign or after they clear their player cache.

A Load All button won't change the load time. It would only reduce the time from when one thing loads until when the click the next button. But it would make it easier.

As with any enhancement request, you should check the Wish List and if the idea is not there, then add it :)

im just spitballing ideas. or if you have a player that plays in multiple campaigns having them not have to load previously loaded modules that they have loaded from other campaigns would be a time saver. i mostly have players load all the wotc books as i own all of them for character creation + rob2es codings which is alot. then a few custom ones and relevant materials for whichever campaign im doing. i just want to work on something or spitball an idea that could speed up this process. a load all is the best i could come up with. maybe a load all with a limit to how many or a load all wotc books? or source books?

LordEntrails
September 2nd, 2020, 03:10
Background loading would be best, imo. But that requires multi-threading and there might be challenges with that as well, since object lists would have to be refreshed after each object was loaded.

Sharing downloaded content between campaign might risk security issues. Not sure. Not aware of the encryption model and haven't thought it through.

Not sure what other possible solutions.

esmdev
September 2nd, 2020, 04:07
I generally get an idea of what people want to play in advance and just have the modules they need loaded (plus any custom campaign modules) and don't load anything else. Then I read everything and make player accessible only what is needed. Goes pretty fast without them needing to load a bunch of modules they will never need.

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2020, 09:43
There are some common module bulk-load options under the second page of the Startup settings - the window that appears when you first start a campaign or a player joins. You know, the one that most people probably ignore... There's a "5E - All Rules" option that loads a common set of modules (different for the DM and players).

You can re-open this window from within a campaign by clicking the "Setup" button at the bottom of the "Options" window.

ThingsCouldGetDicey
September 2nd, 2020, 15:59
Background loading would be best, imo. But that requires multi-threading and there might be challenges with that as well, since object lists would have to be refreshed after each object was loaded.

Sharing downloaded content between campaign might risk security issues. Not sure. Not aware of the encryption model and haven't thought it through.

Not sure what other possible solutions.

i had another thought of what if the dm sets the modules when starting the campaign and those modules chosen are the default loaded ones. so players dont have to load modules. isnt that a better solution?

ThingsCouldGetDicey
September 2nd, 2020, 16:02
and secondly if any future modules get loaded by the dm they preload on next login. for the fetching files part. ideally this is the best i can come up with. not sure if moon wizard could implement this. but it would make things more user friendly.

LordEntrails
September 2nd, 2020, 16:18
Players have to download any content they want to have access to. So if a GM pre-defined a set of content to load, the first time a player connects, they could have a very long load/join time.

Did you check out Trenloe's suggestion? I forgot about that.

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2020, 16:37
and secondly if any future modules get loaded by the dm they preload on next login.
Years ago the GM could "preload" a module - that would be force loaded when the player joined. There were various performance and usage issues associated with this and so it was removed.

ThingsCouldGetDicey
September 2nd, 2020, 18:43
Years ago the GM could "preload" a module - that would be force loaded when the player joined. There were various performance and usage issues associated with this and so it was removed.

i presume that was tried within FG classic and not FG unity right? im pretty sure theres alot more bandwidth within FGU to reimplment it in a way that isnt destructive. but id leave that up to moon wizard.

as for your suggestion in the loading screen. i will have to pay attention next time because i havnt come across that yet.