PDA

View Full Version : New "range" feature thought

GrumpyOldAndy
September 1st, 2020, 21:37
I was reading about plotting movement and token locking and a thought occurred to me about a feature I would find useful. Not sure how to word it for a feature request, so thought I'd throw it up here for comment.

I know you can click on a a target and get an "exact" distance measurement.
How about an option for a player to display a set of concentric circles centered on the player so you can roughly estimate the range to everything on the map without having to click targets independently.
It would be even better if there was a GM option to "fudge" the distances displayed. The characters don't have a laser rangefinder (unless they do!) so they know explicitly that the Goblin is 49.5' away so within range of that 50' spell, or that they have just enough movement to run up and hit something rather than stopping 5' short.

LordEntrails
September 1st, 2020, 22:15
Why not use a quick point (right & left mouse buttons) with the circle (hold ctrl) type? It wouldn't give a bunch of rings, but is much more visually clean.

TheSlowestZombie
September 1st, 2020, 22:26
I agree quick point is good enough.
But I do think it would be extra flair to have other options. I envision it a little differently though: If I mouse over my shortbow attack dice button, that's when I want to see the normal/long target concentric circles with tokens slightly highlighted (to help referee when a token is partially across boundaries). That ways it's only cluttering up the screen when I'm about to do something that needs that info. Should be easy to do similar things with some spell aoes. Bonus points if you can click something to automatically add everything in those circles as a target, and even more bonus points to use modifier keys to select just enemies vs all creatures

GrumpyOldAndy
September 2nd, 2020, 11:25
Why not use a quick point (right & left mouse buttons) with the circle (hold ctrl) type? It wouldn't give a bunch of rings, but is much more visually clean.

Because I didn't know you could! This also gets rid of the diagonal measurement errors, although I would like to know how to fix those as well.

LordEntrails
September 2nd, 2020, 16:13
Because I didn't know you could! This also gets rid of the diagonal measurement errors, although I would like to know how to fix those as well.
Most rulesets have a GM/Game option to count diagonals either as 1 or 1.5 squares. Kind of depends.

Kelrugem
September 2nd, 2020, 17:57

which ruleset? As LordEntrails said this is not necessarily an error, more a convention how to count it :) It is pretty easy to change that in an extension (normally) :)

I can shortly change that for you in an extension when you tell me your ruleset (and I have access to it) :)

GrumpyOldAndy
September 2nd, 2020, 18:29
which ruleset? As LordEntrails said this is not necessarily an error, more a convention how to count it :) It is pretty easy to change that in an extension (normally) :)

I can shortly change that for you in an extension when you tell me your ruleset (and I have access to it) :)

Thanks. Seems very weird to have the option as ruleset dependent to me, it would make more sense to have an option to select it in the base program.
I use the Symbaroum ruleset, and the option also seems to be absent from the Pathfinder 2 and Mutants and Masterminds rulesets, although I haven't played anything in those rulesets yet.

Kelrugem
September 2nd, 2020, 19:18
Thanks. Seems very weird to have the option as ruleset dependent to me, it would make more sense to have an option to select it in the base program.
I use the Symbaroum ruleset, and the option also seems to be absent from the Pathfinder 2 and Mutants and Masterminds rulesets, although I haven't played anything in those rulesets yet.

Indeed, that could be an option in all rulesets basically :) Therefore: I wrote an extension which works for all rulesets :) (hopefully, 5e won't work because it handles it a bit different, but there it is already integrated. For Symbaroum I tested it and it works :) )

What the extension does: It adds a new option in the settings, scroll to the bottom, it is in the section "Distance Measurement" and there are several options:

Mult 1: That is the standard behaviour, the uniform norm, which is what you observe, one diagonal = 1' :)
Mult 1.5: Approximated Euclidean, that is the rule where the total diagonal movement costs 1.5*#DiagonalSquares*1' (rounded down), so, first diagonal 1', second 3', third 4', fourth 6' and so on... (in totals, I mean. In increments that is of course then 1',2',1',2'..) (that is the one you wanted, I think?)

If FGU, there is also Mult Eucl: Euclidean metric, so "real measure", rounded to the first decimal :)

EDIT: Not sure how it reacts with rulesets having 5ft instead of 1' etc :) But for Symbaroum it works :D

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2020, 19:23
... the option also seems to be absent from the Pathfinder 2 ...
The option isn't there because it's not an optional rule in Pathfinder 2. Standard for Pathfinder 2 diagonal measurement is 5-10-5.

GrumpyOldAndy
September 2nd, 2020, 21:00

EDIT: Not sure how it reacts with rulesets having 5ft instead of 1' etc :) But for Symbaroum it works :D
Yep, that works great for me, and I also have the MUSE extension installed, so I can adjust the units to be whatever I need. Thanks.

Kelrugem
September 2nd, 2020, 21:01
Yep, that works great for me, and I also have the MUSE extension installed, so I can adjust the units to be whatever I need. Thanks.

cool, you're welcome :)

lostsanityreturned
September 3rd, 2020, 02:27
The option isn't there because it's not an optional rule in Pathfinder 2. Standard for Pathfinder 2 diagonal measurement is 5-10-5.

It is an optional rule, page 14 of the game master's guide. (not saying you need to include it, just wanted to point it out ;) )

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2020, 04:18
It is an optional rule, page 14 of the game master's guide. (not saying you need to include it, just wanted to point it out ;) )
Thanks for pointing that out. Let me re-phrase - "it's not an optional rule for the base (core) rules, nor in any of the currently converted Paizo products." We try to work to what we've converted, not what's out there in the wild.