PDA

View Full Version : Question about dice

g0ntzal
September 1st, 2020, 10:37
Hi team!

Why players see shadowed rolling dice when another player (or GM) is rolling? GM can see all dice perfectly but it is not the same for players.

Thanks in advance.

Zacchaeus
September 1st, 2020, 12:38
The shadow dice are there so that players can see that dice are being rolled.

g0ntzal
September 1st, 2020, 14:53
The shadow dice are there so that players can see that dice are being rolled.

As a GM I can see that dice are being rolled in full color. Why a player can't see them in full color too?

SilentRuin
September 1st, 2020, 15:31
As a GM I can see that dice are being rolled in full color. Why a player can't see them in full color too?

You need to look at your settings (options) which is an upper right button usually. In there you have options to allow "show GM rolls" which if on will let players see the GM rolls (not shadowy). You also have the dice tower which allows you to have players seeing your rolls except the ones you drop in the dice tower (which they cannot). The players roll in the dice tower (if you've activated the option) to roll the dice but not see the roll. For example if you want them to roll some skill, say checking for traps or something, and they roll a 1 and you state the character has full confidence there are no traps. Gist being - a host is not a player. The host can see everything always the players cannot unless the host sets options or allows them too. Best thing to do is study up on some videos about the game. This is a guess of an answer for you based on the limited strange question you're asking. Obviously, there are a lot of other options you can set also.

Kelrugem
September 1st, 2020, 16:32
You need to look at your settings (options) which is an upper right button usually. In there you have options to allow "show GM rolls" which if on will let players see the GM rolls (not shadowy). You also have the dice tower which allows you to have players seeing your rolls except the ones you drop in the dice tower (which they cannot). The players roll in the dice tower (if you've activated the option) to roll the dice but not see the roll. For example if you want them to roll some skill, say checking for traps or something, and they roll a 1 and you state the character has full confidence there are no traps. Gist being - a host is not a player. The host can see everything always the players cannot unless the host sets options or allows them too. Best thing to do is study up on some videos about the game. This is a guess of an answer for you based on the limited strange question you're asking. Obviously, there are a lot of other options you can set also.

No, this setting adjusts whether the results are visible in the chat :) It has no effect on whether dice are just shadows or not :) In FGC players are able to see other player's dice but not in FGU (while the GM dice are already always shadows) :) That may be changed though :)

g0ntzal
September 1st, 2020, 16:34
Thanks SilentRuin. "Show GM rolls" is on (always) and I don't use the Tower. I think you find strange my question because of my poor English. Please, take a look on the following video. Host on the left and player on the right. As you can see, the GM results are visible but there is a difference in the rolling dice animation. Host can see full color dice every time, player only can see his/her own dice (and a greyed version of the another people dice). It is just about the animation.

https://youtu.be/_UrbI_4OYm8

LordEntrails
September 1st, 2020, 16:46
There are two feature requests for changes or options for different die shadow behavior. Please consider expressing your support for the ideas by voting on them.

https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=133995
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=134076

SilentRuin
September 1st, 2020, 17:08
Thanks SilentRuin. "Show GM rolls" is on (always) and I don't use the Tower. I think you find strange my question because of my poor English. Please, take a look on the following video. Host on the left and player on the right. As you can see, the GM results are visible but there is a difference in the rolling dice animation. Host can see full color dice every time, player only can see his/her own dice (and a greyed version of the another people dice). It is just about the animation.

https://youtu.be/_UrbI_4OYm8

Oh I see, your talking about other players not seeing the actual dice roll - but still seeing the result in chat. I think LordEntrails explained it - its how FGU works at the moment and people have asked for that to change. Personally, I'm only interested in the chat working and showing the result if required - not so much concerned that they do not see other players dice. Good luck with the change request though :)

g0ntzal
September 1st, 2020, 17:23
It was not a request. I just was interested in understand why FGU works in such way.

Zacchaeus
September 1st, 2020, 17:26
It was not a request. I just was interested in understand why FGU works in such way.

I think it is intended that FGU should work the same way as FGC; but currently the player rolls are bugged or not fully implemented. The player view of DM rolls will always be shadow dice as I understand it.

LordEntrails
September 1st, 2020, 17:59
I believe it only shows shadow dice because the die rolls are physics models (meaning the are calculated based on a model that runs on each client). And I think Moon mentioned at one point their was a challenge passing the full random seed between clients. Without that, the results shown on different clients would be different. So the player rolls d20 and gets a 15, but other players would have their dice shown with different results. Which would not be desirable. So instead it just shows the shadows, rather than trying to get to the results on all clients to match.

g0ntzal
September 1st, 2020, 18:09
I believe it only shows shadow dice because the die rolls are physics models (meaning the are calculated based on a model that runs on each client). And I think Moon mentioned at one point their was a challenge passing the full random seed between clients. Without that, the results shown on different clients would be different. So the player rolls d20 and gets a 15, but other players would have their dice shown with different results. Which would not be desirable. So instead it just shows the shadows, rather than trying to get to the results on all clients to match.

Oh! Pretty interesting. Thanks for that info.