PDA

View Full Version : Custom Spell Effect on NPC

BronzeDodger
August 31st, 2020, 21:53
Working on an NPC that applies one of the effects of the Contagion spell. When I drag Contagion into the Innate Spells, and then to the CT, the entire bank of Contagion options is listed. My first attempt was to just delete out the other choices and leave Slimy Doom; it looks correct on the NPC card, but I presume it parses the name "Contagion" when dropping on the CT and so the entire bank of options still appears.

Then I tried deleting out the unnecessary effects and renaming the ability to Corruption and re-adding to the CT. The new duration appears, and I can manually set the save DC - but the DISCHK/DISSAV effects do not show up - so I presume I must be deleting required spacing or maybe triggering terms further up the list that are preventing them from parsing.

Just on the chance that someone else has done something similar thought I'd ask here in hopes it's literally as simple as "don't delete this space" or something and it will all come to life.

Zacchaeus
August 31st, 2020, 22:42
Inside FG there is a parser which attempts to work out, based on the words, what effects should be created. In many cases the wording in spells is not sufficiently precise to create these effects and so they are hard coded into the ruleset. I suspect the spell you are using is one of these since the parser will not pick up or create effects which give advantage or disadvantage to anything. So if that is what you are expecting to happen it won’t.

If you start amending the spell but keep the name FG will add the effect from the original because all it looks for is the name of the spell. If you create your own spell then unless it is worded in such a way that the parser will pick up on then effects will be created; but again the advantage bit won’t.

There is more information here on the wiki for the kind of things the parser will pick up https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/721028/5E+NPCs+and+Encounters

BronzeDodger
September 1st, 2020, 01:57
Thanks for this - I have to think that Contagion with it's crazy number of options is hard coded so not easily tweaked in the UI.