PDA

View Full Version : Map ‘lag’

talonmasterzso
August 30th, 2020, 22:50
Me and my friends generally play DND 5e on fantasy grounds unity every Saturday from 2pm to 7 pm mst

Lately we’ve been having an issue that makes the game all but unplayable for the last hour or two of each of our sessions. Something we’ve started referring to as ‘map lag’

Our dm builds our maps himself using FGU assists (walls/doors/etc...). Near the end of our sessions the responsiveness of our tokens to our commands gets in the 6-8 seconds rage. Moving a token 1 square left by hitting the left arrow key means hitting the key, and then waiting that timeframe for the token to actually move that 1 square. Don’t even bother with trying to move by mouse. That’s simply a disaster.

It happens to every member of our party (even out DM) and it happens in the last hour or two of every session.

Please help! How can I fix this issue? This is cutting out limited time short

We all have 60 mb download speeds (at the least).

Thanks.

MOD: Moved to FGU Forum

Zacchaeus
August 30th, 2020, 23:10
See here for the details of what you should provide and report in that forum https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51687-How-to-Report-Issues-Bugs-and-Problems

I would probably check how much memory everyone is using whilst you have these issues. It would be helpful to know the specs of the computer being used and whether there are Mac users or laptops in the mix.

Talonmaster
August 30th, 2020, 23:52
Summary: See above

Ruleset(s): 5e

New Campaign / FGC Migrated Campaign: New Campaign

Extensions/Themes: default theme, no extensions

Modules Loaded: DND core rules bundle (all the main core rules modules)

Operating System / Language Setting: For me: macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Steps to Reproduce: About 3-4 hours into our game, our tokens become almost unresponsive to our commands. We are playing on a rather large homebrew map with walls, doors, and line of sight enabled (created in game). At that point in our game, pressing 'arrow left' means hitting it once, waiting 5-6 seconds, and then seeing the token move. Rinse-repeat 5 more times waiting for one player to finish their move. This is no faster for any player than for any other player (it's affecting all of us) including the DM. We are playing on a LAN private server over the internet.

Moon Wizard
September 3rd, 2020, 07:33
We've had several reports of a CPU performance issue on Mac machines that crops up after several hours; but we've been unable to reproduce on our development machines. We've found that it's not necessarily tied to the maps (though that was our first investigation); but due to some condition being reached that we have not been able to specifically identify. Keep the reports coming in, and hopefully we'll be able to narrow the condition that causes it.

Regards,
JPG

Talonmaster
September 3rd, 2020, 13:27
It wasn't unique to my computer. It affected every player and even the GM (I'm just a player) regardless if they were on a Mac or PC.

pindercarl
September 4th, 2020, 00:50
It wasn't unique to my computer. It affected every player and even the GM (I'm just a player) regardless if they were on a Mac or PC.

Does the map lag persist if you use the same map in the following session? Or does performance return to normal for the first few hours of the new session?

Thanks.

Talonmaster
September 4th, 2020, 00:53
The performance returned to... not quite 'normal' but better in the next session (playable), and then degraded over time. I asked our DM about it, he told me he 'maxed out' the map assets (walls/doors/etc...) when creating the map.