PDA

View Full Version : BUG - Error - Data path cannot start with same words/letter as App path

HarbingersRequiem
August 29th, 2020, 15:35
Summary:

If you use the same sequence of words or letters that are used in the App Directory in the Data Directory you get an error.
Puts out the error message "Error: Data path and Application path should not be children of each other. Please change one to an alternate location."

Ruleset(s):

N/A

New Campaign / FGC Migrated Campaign:

N/A

Extensions/Themes:

N/A

Modules Loaded:

N/A

Operating System / Language Setting:

Windows 10, English

Steps to Reproduce:

1) Name your App Directory XYZ (it can be anything, Fantasy Grounds Unity, F, Cats Love Fantasy Grounds, whatever you'd like)
2) Name your Data Directory XYZA

At this point you get the error.

So you can't have the exact same sequence of words that are in the App Directory name in your Data Directory name.
So if for some reason you name your App Directory to a single letter, then the Data directory cannot start with any word with that letter (as far as I can tell)

LordEntrails
August 29th, 2020, 15:48
This is designed to prevent people from placing their FG Data directory in the application installation location. This was implemented because their were several complaints from people who placed their data directory in a sub-folder of the install location and then had their data directory deleted when they uninstalled.

Sounds like the implementation might be able to be cleaned up some, but I suspect the devs will consider it low priority since it is so easy to use different custom paths.

HarbingersRequiem
August 29th, 2020, 15:52
The base design choice definitely makes sense, yeah.

It's not particularly impacting, just possibly annoying from an end-user experience, so figured I'd pop it in here for if a Dev has one of those days where they're like "Oh, I can fix this in like... 5 minutes" or something like that.