PDA

View Full Version : Loading Screen Tutorial Messages

bmos
August 29th, 2020, 13:44
Are there plans to re-implement the single-line tutorial messages that are shown while the game is loading in FGC into FGU?
These messages have taught me a lot since I started using FGC and I think that a lot of the new-user complaints (about the UI not working as they assume it does) would be helped by re-implementing this.
Indeed, many of the messages that it displays relate to some of these frequent questions (and often complaints) which seems to indicate that the questions have been around for some time (I think this is often the case for UI).

Obviously this is a small thing, so I'm not surprised that it isn't there (yet). I just want to know if I should add it to the wishlist or not.

bmos
December 4th, 2020, 13:45
Thanks SmiteWorks for adding this simple but incredibly useful feature back into FG Unity's latest update!
You all are great <3

superteddy57
December 4th, 2020, 14:14
NP, you were nice enough to ask :)

Jiminimonka
December 4th, 2020, 15:17
Nice one Smiteworks.

Valyar
December 4th, 2020, 19:06
I love those. I recommend to incorporate all those tips you share on the Facebook page too, it will be or tremendous help :)

Kelrugem
December 4th, 2020, 20:28
Yeah, I like it, too, also the spinning die :D

bmos
December 4th, 2020, 20:31
Yeah, I like it, too, also the spinning die :DI didn't even notice that!
That will help so much with people thinking it has frozen.

celestian
December 4th, 2020, 20:34
NP, you were nice enough to ask :)

It would be brilliant if it could do ruleset specific items but I'm told (JPG) that it is pre-ruleset loading... very unfortunate. I'd love to add some.

How about similar screen for player connecting? Surely for a player connecting the ruleset type is known?

Kelrugem
December 4th, 2020, 20:38
It would be brilliant if it could do ruleset specific items but I'm told (JPG) that it is pre-ruleset loading... very unfortunate. I'd love to add some.

How about similar screen for player connecting? Surely for a player connecting the ruleset type is known?

The players get also that screen :)

Hm, could the tooltips not be in a separate source (the FG client probably in that case) which loads different type of tooltips depending on the ruleset started? Because when I start a campaign, I also select the ruleset, by that information it may be possible to differ the tooltips without the need to load the ruleset first?

The disadvantage would be that SmiteWorks themselves need to add ruleset-specific tooltips because it is stored in the FG client; thence, community developers could not add that manually

Moon Wizard
December 5th, 2020, 00:06
Nope, the player screen performs exactly the same loading. The only thing in place before the loading screen comes up is that the files are cached.

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
December 5th, 2020, 00:34
Yeah, I like it, too, also the spinning die :D

Suggest putting the spinning d20 in the middle of the screen under the FGU logo and above the loading tips.

celestian
December 5th, 2020, 01:58
There are no files exchanged here that tell you what the ruleset is?

https://i.imgur.com/8yKclXH.png

I know the feature just got added, I really like it and would love to be able to set some special ones for the ruleset proper.

If/when it can be done, I'll owe someone a beer.

Moon Wizard
December 5th, 2020, 02:24
We know what the rule set is going in. However, the rule set is not fully loaded and initialized until the screen pauses just before the tabletop is visible.

I’m not saying it couldn’t be done; but it’s not something I can just tell someone to add a script or a file for. It’s a separate feature that would have to be added (and communicated/documented for developers); and we have a lot of those on our list.

Cheers,
JPG

damned
December 5th, 2020, 04:31
So... it might come one day? :bandit:

celestian
December 5th, 2020, 06:13
We know what the rule set is going in. However, the rule set is not fully loaded and initialized until the screen pauses just before the tabletop is visible.

I’m not saying it couldn’t be done; but it’s not something I can just tell someone to add a script or a file for. It’s a separate feature that would have to be added (and communicated/documented for developers); and we have a lot of those on our list.

Cheers,
JPG

Understood. I'm just wanting to really add in "To open more than one window of the same type, press control while clicking." Or something along those lines, for the 2E ruleset ;)

The feature is amazing, my players will love it regardless.

Weissrolf
December 5th, 2020, 11:04
Thumbs up for this feature!

Putting the spinning die in the lower right corner makes it quite invisible, though. At first I did not notice it, then I read in this thread that it exists and still had to restart 3 times until I finally found it. Seems like I kept looking around the center of the screen, other people may prefer to look at the corners, though.

Weissrolf
December 10th, 2020, 14:35
None of my 5 players this week spotted the rotating die in the lower right corner, even when I offered them a bonus hero point "for spotting the spinning die" after a necessary FG restart (didn't tell them to look at the load screen). So putting it somewhere more obvious might help give it the attention that it deserves.