PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Whisper Results

Spider
April 30th, 2007, 12:45
This weekend my group used FGII and by and large we were very happy with it. One of the things I had to work around, and I'm pretty certain isn't supposed to work this way was when players would whisper to me (DM). It would come through, but be from id-00011 or some other number tied to the player. As I didn't knwo who had what number at first I had to ask. I'd like to know what is causing this and how it can be fixed.

Dachannien
April 30th, 2007, 13:20
I had that happen with a player who had opened two characters (one was his wizard character, one was his character's familiar). Any messages that would normally use the player's name (like OOC or whispers) would use the id-##### thing instead of the player's name. The other players, all of which had only opened one character, did not show this problem.

Dunno if the multiple characters were the reason why this happened, because we didn't really bother testing it.

Oberoten
April 30th, 2007, 13:21
It is a bug in the ruleset, basically they look for the node of the player instead of the name. I am sure that Smiteworks will fix this for the next release.

Also, if a player tries to whisper to another player, the recieving player gets a whispered message... without a name on who sent it.

Spider
April 30th, 2007, 14:38
I had it happen with two different players, but both of them were running multiple characters. I suspect it has to do with the way it handle multiple charcters.

Ram Tyr
April 30th, 2007, 15:02
Possibly fixed.
2.0.6 (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=40687#post40687)

Later.

Sir Bayard
April 30th, 2007, 21:52
Also, if a player tries to whisper to another player, the recieving player gets a whispered message... without a name on who sent it.

How does a player whisper another player? Can't seem to do that...

Oberoten
May 1st, 2007, 00:50
Agh... This was all with clients on the same machine opened simultaneously to compare with using multiple characters.

Ablefish
May 1st, 2007, 07:40
Wow, that used to blow windows up hard when I tried that.

Cantstanzya
May 5th, 2007, 05:17
So, what is the verdict on this? Can a player whisper to another player? We just tried it and it didn't seem to work, or rather we couldn't figure it out.

Goblin-King
May 7th, 2007, 08:01
Not right now. This is on the to do list, though. The current plan is to make it a separate slash command, such as /pwhisper, and give the GM a hint that something is happening, like a message "X is whispering to Y".

The High Druid
May 7th, 2007, 12:24
Hmmm. Any chance this can be an optional feature like the /die reveal command? Fraid I'm the sort of GM that always used to make players pass any notes to me to read after they passed them to the other players.

Admittedly they could just launch MSN or something and chat they way if the *really* want to keep things private from the GM but personally I'd prefer the mechanism not to be in the game to allow them to do it.

Oberoten
May 7th, 2007, 12:54
Personally I don't care much if the players whisper to eachother and I know what it is about or not.

I think it'd cut the OOC chatter down a bit and also make it more easy (and fun) for the players to screw eachother over. ;) Well... It is pretty much a MUST for Paranoia :)

Sir Bayard
May 7th, 2007, 22:08
heh heh.. I'd like to see player whispering a feature.. admittingly, I already DO use MSN for chat with some players, so doing it in game at least let's the GM know we're having private discussions. And, no alt-tabbing needed. heh heh

Cantstanzya
May 7th, 2007, 23:18
Not right now. This is on the to do list, though. The current plan is to make it a separate slash command, such as /pwhisper, and give the GM a hint that something is happening, like a message "X is whispering to Y".Would it be possible for the GM to see what X is whispering to Y? I believe that would be the preferred way to do it. As least that is what I would prefer.

The High Druid
May 8th, 2007, 00:11
The ideal solution I think would be somthing like:

/playerwhisper <allow/view/deny>

So the GM can set it so players can have private whispers, whispers viewable by the GM or no whispers at all. Heh and I'm sure there's a better alias for the slash command.

Sir Bayard
May 8th, 2007, 00:40
Eh, from a player side I guess I'd just prefer to have it if it exists. In Real Life, players can talk to one another, why not online? Now, I can possible understand a GM wanting to see what we're talking about.. but at the same time, I would feel somewhat restricted by that as well. If I can never throw a curveball in the GM's direction, what's the point of whispering? lol GM's shouldn't have to be involved in every little aspect of the player's like that. Let them have the freedom to talk to one another privately. But, I think that starts a completly seperate discussion, so let's leave it at "Player Whispers = Good" and hope for the feature soon, tweak it later. lol

The High Druid
May 8th, 2007, 12:02
"Player Whispers = Good"
Well I have the exact opposite opinion on that so just trying to propose something that (hopefully) keeps everyone happy.

ldyparadox99
May 22nd, 2007, 20:34
Back to the original point of the thread...was this bug with whispers ever fixed? I'm still getting it with my players and I just updated my custom ruleset to the latest version.

joshuha
May 22nd, 2007, 21:47
I seem to get it occasionally when a player disconnects and then comes back on. Somehow the mapping gets lost to the node in the DB so then I get ID-0001 or whatever.