PDA

View Full Version : Maps should be right click scrollable

tentimes
August 28th, 2020, 18:17
For years I have played games where scrolling the map is done by right clicking anywhere in the map and moving the mouse. It's worked well for years, but scrolling in FG seems impossible to me, except using scrolling out and in repeatedly using the mouse scroll wheel, in some frakenstein attempt to move the central point of focus. Holding down mouse scroll wheel does nothing by the way. So my only way of moving the map is repeated scroll out, scroll in.

It's 2020 - we deserve better and this should have been one of the first systems implemented IMHO. PLEASE please make it so I can scroll a map.

kevininrussia
August 28th, 2020, 18:22
Holding down mouse scroll wheel works for me. In Photoshop its the space bar and that is what I am use to.

bmos
August 28th, 2020, 18:25
Hold control and drag the compass rose in the lower right up/down to zoom in /out.

Drag the compass rose in the lower right to move the map around.
Ctrl + drag to move the map around.

I'd suggest a class at https://fantasygroundscollege.net so you learn more of the program, there is a lot to it that you probably won't figure out on your own.

LordEntrails
August 28th, 2020, 18:27
There is is no universal standard for how user interfaces scroll images. Different programs do it different ways. You will need to learn the ways that FG does this, the UI is unlikely to be changed to suite the desires of one part of the user base since that will just upset everyone used to the existing model. There are several ways to pan images in FG, more info here;
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/688323/Basic+Actions#Windows

tentimes
August 28th, 2020, 18:29
Holding down mouse scroll wheel works for me. In Photoshop its the space bar and that is what I am use to.

Mouse scroll wheel does nothing at all for any part of fantasy grounds for me. (EDIT: Pressing it I mean, scrollung does scroll out of a map etc)

tentimes
August 28th, 2020, 18:31
Hold control and drag the compass rose in the lower right up/down to zoom in /out.

Drag the compass rose in the lower right to move the map around.
Ctrl + drag to move the map around.

I'd suggest a class at https://fantasygroundscollege.net so you learn more of the program, there is a lot to it that you probably won't figure out on your own.

The compass scrolls wildly all over the place for me and is uncontrollable. Why can't we just use what everything else uses and is universal in gaming, i.e. right click and scroll?

tentimes
August 28th, 2020, 18:37
There is is no universal standard for how user interfaces scroll images. Different programs do it different ways. You will need to learn the ways that FG does this, the UI is unlikely to be changed to suite the desires of one part of the user base since that will just upset everyone used to the existing model. There are several ways to pan images in FG, more info here;
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/688323/Basic+Actions#Windows

Well 99% of my games stick to a universal standard. Why not use that as a good starting point.? As it is now I cannot scroll the map, at all, nada, no scrolling (unless you click on the compass, in which case it speeds like an out of control racehorse and is impossible to control).

LordEntrails
August 28th, 2020, 18:44
Well 99% of my games stick to a universal standard. Why not use that as a good starting point.? As it is now I cannot scroll the map, at all, nada, no scrolling (unless you click on the compass, in which case it speeds like an out of control racehorse and is impossible to control).
of your games. Not everyone else's.

Why can't your preferences be used as a starting point? Because FG has been around and in use for over 15 years. Because you are one person, and their are tens of thousands of people who use it and are used to it like it is.

Look, I get it. Its not ideal for you, but changing a user interface is not a happy thing. If the program were new and did not have a history or an existing user base it could be easy to change things. But it does, and it's not. You can add it to the Wish List, but I can tell you it adds little value and I doubt the devs would be willing to consider it unless it got thousands of votes. Not the five a similar idea has; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=108729

As to your scroll wheel not working for panning, change your mouse settings so depressing your scroll wheel works as middle mouse button.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2020, 18:47
As has been mentioned, there is *not* a standard for this in applications or games. What one person thinks is common/should be a standard others might not. Right-click to scroll is most definitely not common in the games I play, and not at all in the applications I use.

Plus, changing how FG performs now would go against the "FG Standard" than tens of thousands of FG users have gotten used to over the last 15+ years, and the right mouse button has some very specific functionality within FG.

I get it, you're used to something. But please don't insist on changing it to what you're used to from what the majority of FG users have become used to.

Your main issues appears to be that your middle-mouse button doesn't work in FG. I'd look into that to enable you to scroll your images within FG.

tentimes
August 28th, 2020, 18:49
of your games. Not everyone else's.

Why can't your preferences be used as a starting point? Because FG has been around and in use for over 15 years. Because you are one person, and their are tens of thousands of people who use it and are used to it like it is.

Look, I get it. Its not ideal for you, but changing a user interface is not a happy thing. If the program were new and did not have a history or an existing user base it could be easy to change things. But it does, and it's not. You can add it to the Wish List, but I can tell you it adds little value and I doubt the devs would be willing to consider it unless it got thousands of votes. Not the five a similar idea has; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=108729

As to your scroll wheel not working for panning, change your mouse settings so depressing your scroll wheel works as middle mouse button.

Mouse scroll wheel to pan does nothing for me. I have tried adjusting settings but can find nothing for it. So I can't scroll maps. That is not acceptable. If I was to produce a program where large parts of my userbase could not scroll the map I would get a kick in the *** from my senior to sort it out.

Kelrugem
August 28th, 2020, 18:51
Mouse scroll wheel does nothing at all for any part of fantasy grounds for me. (EDIT: Pressing it I mean, scrollung does scroll out of a map etc)

Just to confirm, you press the mouse wheel and then you drag it while still pressing it? That I use all the time :) One also gets quickly adjusted to it (and is also indeed used in other programs like CC3+, left and right-click are already sadly very busy in FG, but I understand why the right-click is more natural for you because that is indeed also another common standard in other programmes) :)

EDIT: Woops, I did not see all the other answers, sorry, when I repeated some things :)

tentimes
August 28th, 2020, 19:00
As has been mentioned, there is *not* a standard for this in applications or games. What one person thinks is common/should be a standard others might not. Right-click to scroll is most definitely not common in the games I play, and not at all in the applications I use.

Plus, changing how FG performs now would go against the "FG Standard" than tens of thousands of FG users have gotten used to over the last 15+ years, and the right mouse button has some very specific functionality within FG.

I get it, you're used to something. But please don't insist on changing it to what you're used to from what the majority of FG users have become used to.

Your main issues appears to be that your middle-mouse button doesn't work in FG. I'd look into that to enable you to scroll your images within FG.

But can I not scroll then? I am raising the issue that I CANNOT SCROLL, using holding down mousewheel or anything else. You think that is just acceptable? I can't scroll. I can't scroll should have been the title of this actually as it is getting a bit missunderstood. I would settle for pressing the mousewheel to scroll, but it won't work. I CAN'T SCROLL.

tentimes
August 28th, 2020, 19:02
Just to confirm, you press the mouse wheel and then you drag it while still pressing it? That I use all the time :) One also gets quickly adjusted to it (and is also indeed used in other programs like CC3+, left and right-click are already sadly very busy in FG, but I understand why the right-click is more natural for you because that is indeed also another common standard in other programmes) :)

EDIT: Woops, I did not see all the other answers, sorry, when I repeated some things :)

Yes I do this and nothing happens. PRESS mousewheel and drag. It worked in FG non-unity but in unity I simply cannot scroll, nothing will work.

pindercarl
August 28th, 2020, 19:02
Mouse scroll wheel to pan does nothing for me. I have tried adjusting settings but can find nothing for it. So I can't scroll maps. That is not acceptable. If I was to produce a program where large parts of my userbase could not scroll the map I would get a kick in the *** from my senior to sort it out.

Middle-button click plus drag pans the image. If you are unable to pan the image using the mouse-wheel, this suggests that your mouse wheel is not set to be the middle mouse button.

tentimes
August 28th, 2020, 19:04
Middle-button click plus drag pans the image. If you are unable to pan the image using the mouse-wheel, this suggests that your mouse wheel is not set to be the middle mouse button.

No, it works perfectly well in that respect with lots of other games.

LordEntrails
August 28th, 2020, 19:07
You don't say, but I'm assuming you are using Windows? If so, Go into Control Panels > Mouse.
In there will be settings for your mouse buttons. If the mouse looks like a generic mouse and does not look like your actual mouse (again, you don't say), then you might need to install the mouse driver from your mouse manufacturer. Then in the buttons settings you should have the ability to set the actions for your various mouse buttons, make sure depressing your scroll wheel is set to Middle Mouse button.

Mine looks like this;

bmos
August 28th, 2020, 19:15
It worked in FG non-unity but in unity I simply cannot scroll, nothing will work.I don't think anyone should bother telling tentimes to check if middle clicking is turned on and such if it works on Fantasy Grounds Classic...

Just in case you missed it the first time (I know it's just a workaround and I hope you figure out the mouse issue since FGU definitely supports it usually):
Ctrl + drag also works :)

tentimes
August 28th, 2020, 19:19
You don't say, but I'm assuming you are using Windows? If so, Go into Control Panels > Mouse.
In there will be settings for your mouse buttons. If the mouse looks like a generic mouse and does not look like your actual mouse (again, you don't say), then you might need to install the mouse driver from your mouse manufacturer. Then in the buttons settings you should have the ability to set the actions for your various mouse buttons, make sure depressing your scroll wheel is set to Middle Mouse button.

Mine looks like this;

It's a very famous Naga mouse that updates it's own firmware on a fairly regular basis and windows (just checked) can see every bit of it except the left panel keys (which are all 0-9 and -= for Mmorpgs which is what I got it for). [EDIT] I just tried a plug and play mouse and I have the same issue.

LordEntrails
August 28th, 2020, 19:49
And is the button setting for middle mouse actually set to "middle mouse" and not something like "auto"?

Does ctrl-left drag work for you?

If still having issues, please provide screen shots of the image in FGU and your mouse settings.

Thanks!

ddavison
August 28th, 2020, 20:05
Hello tentimes,

If middle-mouse click and drag is not panning the map for you, then there must be something not working on your system that is working for other people. Do you have any custom extensions loaded that might change our map or image functionality? If so, can you try disabling those and then re-test?

Another way to pan the map by one grid square (or hex/iso) at a time is to use the arrow keys.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2020, 20:14
You think that is just acceptable? I can't scroll. I can't scroll should have been the title of this actually as it is getting a bit missunderstood.
No, I don't think that is acceptable. Hence why I said your middle mouse button issue needs looking into. And, yes, you did concentrate on pushing a change to the mouse buttons early on in this thread, rather than take a more troubleshooting approach and let us know that it works in FGC, but not in FGU - that would have saved everyone a lot of time and angst.

Glad we got to the exact problem in the end.

Using a brand new campaign with no extensions or themes enabled, please please provide a screenshot of FGU when you're unable to middle-mouse-button-drag to pan the image - this will help use to see if there's an edit setting or some-such that might be interfering with the pan functionality.

Dire Weasel
August 28th, 2020, 22:25
It would be handy if we could hold the space bar and left-click to pan, as many graphics apps do.

This would also make it more friendly to trackpad users and mouse users without a middle button.

LordEntrails
August 28th, 2020, 22:59
It would be handy if we could hold the space bar and left-click to pan, as many graphics apps do.

This would also make it more friendly to trackpad users and mouse users without a middle button.
Vote for it on the wish list :)
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=75249

bmos
August 29th, 2020, 13:15

This would also make it more friendly to trackpad users and mouse users without a middle button.Try control. It already does that. (and vote for any duplicate keyboard shortcuts that you want added on the wishlist as LordEntrails said).
Thanks for the Photoshop tip, had no idea (or maybe had forgotten) I could use spacebar for that :D

MasterFerret1
August 30th, 2020, 23:53
I'm used to the middle mouse clicking, as this is how movement is done in Paradox Games like EU4, CK2, HOI4, etc...

These games are literally just moving a map for 90% of it. So there is a good bit of precedent for it.

Dire Weasel
September 2nd, 2020, 01:07
I tried Control, Option, and Command drag with both left and right mouse button. None of those combinations did a map pan.

I'm on Mac, btw.

Moon Wizard
September 3rd, 2020, 04:03
Panning is accomplished using either a middle mouse button click and drag action;
OR by clicking and dragging on the navigation scroller icon in the lower right of the image window;
OR by using the arrow keys after left clicking in the image window view.

Regards,
JPG

fabiocm
September 3rd, 2020, 04:43
Can't some keyboard commands be created and customizable?

Using the touchpad makes almost impossible to scroll the images.

Sterno
September 3rd, 2020, 11:56
Came upon this thread because my middle mouse button doesn't work on press (it's the mouse, wore that mouse press out playing Tarkov) and was looking for other ways to scroll that aren't the painfully slow movement you get when you use the Compass thing in the bottom-right. I'd been using the compass on with FGC and it was fine, but in FGU, particularly if trying to scroll downward, it scrolls at a snails pace.

Saw some people here advising control+drag. That seems to resize the window for me, not actually pan around. Are all the people recommending this wrong, or is mine behaving differently?

LordEntrails
September 3rd, 2020, 15:34
Saw some people here advising control+drag. That seems to resize the window for me, not actually pan around. Are all the people recommending this wrong, or is mine behaving differently?
CTRL-drag does not work, just verified this. (and is not designed to)

The three ways are what Moon lists in post #27

A Social Yeti
September 3rd, 2020, 23:14
I would point out that what mouse button or what alt key to hold for such things, is just arbitrary from player to player for what feels natural to them.
There is no one default key setup that works best for everyone.

Maybe some sort of concept of end users somehow getting to assign what keys do what functions best for them? Nah that's crazy talk, no one could figure that sort of pointless customization for users of software. ; )

fabiocm
December 7th, 2020, 06:01
The problem is to use a touchpad. I would suggest right button to pan, and both clicks (right and left mouse buttons at the same time) to open the options.

Moon Wizard
December 7th, 2020, 06:10
Right click is already used for the context menu throughout the whole application.

Regards,
JPG

Weissrolf
December 7th, 2020, 10:42
You could still offer right-click+drag for scrolling while retaining right-click(-drag) for menus. Personally I would prefer midlle-click+drag for window movement, because it happens far too often that a left-click+drag moves the window instead of a pointer.

Weissrolf
December 7th, 2020, 14:27
I am currently trying to write an AutoHotKey script that puts more functions on the right-click button, like scrolling and temporary pointers (hard to click both buttons on a trackpad). If I succeed then I will post the results.

Daso
December 7th, 2020, 21:33
Fantasy Grounds uses the same mouse combination for pan and zoom as AutoCAD, one of the biggest 2D CAD packages out there. Most CAD packages also use this mouse button combination as it frees up the right click for extra menu commands.

I think FG did a good thing in emulating the behavior.

fabiocm
December 8th, 2020, 01:08
Autocad allow the user to do a lot of things with command line (even to draw), FG does not.

Both clicks could be an alternative for pan.

Weissrolf
December 8th, 2020, 01:47
My current solution is to use an AutoHotKey script that allows to scroll via modifier+right-click (like WIN+right-click). I would prefer modifier+left-click, but unfortunately FG uses different modifiers for masking and drawning, so all modifier keys are already occupied in various left-click combinations.

Still working on getting pointers done via modifier+right-click while keeping the right-click menu alive, because using both mouse-buttons is not possible with buttonless trackpads.

Weissrolf
December 9th, 2020, 17:28
Here is an AutoHotKey script that enabled right-click scrolling among other things:

https://pastebin.com/6WWQ8G8e

Right-click + drag = scroll image

This is the original feature request of this thread. The script allows to set a "sensitivity" value in pixels for when dragging is recognized as such. This is for sensitive trackpads that tends to move the mouse slightly even when you just click on them.

Right-click without drag = open original right-click menu

This works like before, but you cannot use right-click + drag anymore to quickly access the sub-menus. Instead use left-click to navigate the menu.

Long right-click + drag = quick arrow pointer

Keep right-click pressed for some time to see a "Arrow" tooltip popup. Then drag the mouse while holding right-click to draw the quick arrow pointer. If you just release right-click without dragging the normal right-click menu opens. You can set a "timeout" value to set how long you need to hold right-click before the Arrow pointer is drawn.

Right-click-hold + modifier key = draw quick pointers other than Arrow (Alt = Cone, Ctrl = Circle, Shift = Square)

If you press one of the modifier keys at any point a tooltip will popup telling you which quick pointer you are about to draw. This work with both short and long right-click holds (will overwrite Arrow). You need to drag the mouse to start drawing before you release the modifier, else the normal right-click action takes over (drag scroll or menu).

Known limitations:

- When you want to use both mouse-buttons for drawing/deleting quick pointers you need to make sure that you click the left button before the right one.
- When you overwrite the long hold Arrow with a modifier you can only get back to Arrow by releasing the button and long-holding again.
- The higher the sensitivity value and the faster the mouse movement the higher the chance that a pointer starts a bit off from where you originally clicked.

PS: Unfortunately I cannot remove the stupid left-click window movement that keeps messing with everyone's window positions. That is because all of FGU is one big window with no way to tell which is which inside of it. Wish this could at least optionally be disabled for Image windows.

Marquis_de_Taigeis
December 9th, 2020, 17:37
holding down the middle mouse button (often scroll wheel) and moving the mouse moves around maps easily for me and this is also a very common way in lots of maps on computer games

if your mouse is able (more than standard 2 buttons and scroll 3rd button) then i recommend mapping a 4th to be act as CTRL it makes targetting so much easier

Weissrolf
December 9th, 2020, 17:41
Some people play via laptop trackpad, some scroll-wheel buttons switch between scroll modes (Logitech). Some people just prefer right-click dragging. For those I created the AHK script.

There is a bug in there when Arrows are drawn via right-click hold. I will post when I fixed it.

Weissrolf
December 9th, 2020, 17:47
Ok, I think I fixed it. New version can be downloaded under old link:

Here is an AutoHotKey script that enabled right-click scrolling among other things:

https://pastebin.com/6WWQ8G8e

Right-click + drag = scroll image

This is the original feature request of this thread. The script allows to set a "sensitivity" value in pixels for when dragging is recognized as such. This is for sensitive trackpads that tends to move the mouse slightly even when you just click on them.

Right-click without drag = open original right-click menu

This works like before, but you cannot use right-click + drag anymore to quickly access the sub-menus. Instead use left-click to navigate the menu.

Long right-click + drag = quick arrow pointer

Keep right-click pressed for some time to see a "Arrow" tooltip popup. Then drag the mouse while holding right-click to draw the quick arrow pointer. If you just release right-click without dragging the normal right-click menu opens. You can set a "timeout" value to set how long you need to hold right-click before the Arrow pointer is drawn.

Right-click-hold + modifier key = draw quick pointers other than Arrow (Alt = Cone, Ctrl = Circle, Shift = Square)

If you press one of the modifier keys at any point a tooltip will popup telling you which quick pointer you are about to draw. This work with both short and long right-click holds (will overwrite Arrow). You need to drag the mouse to start drawing before you release the modifier, else the normal right-click action takes over (drag scroll or menu).

Known limitations:

- When you want to use both mouse-buttons for drawing/deleting quick pointers you need to make sure that you click the left button before the right one.
- When you overwrite the long hold Arrow with a modifier you can only get back to Arrow by releasing the button and long-holding again.
- The higher the sensitivity value and the faster the mouse movement the higher the chance that a pointer starts a bit off from where you originally clicked.

PS: Unfortunately I cannot remove the stupid left-click window movement that keeps messing with everyone's window positions. That is because all of FGU is one big window with no way to tell which is which inside of it. Wish this could at least optionally be disabled for Image windows.

Weissrolf
December 9th, 2020, 18:11
Sorry, seems like I broke it again for Arrows and now modifiers after Arrows. Time for another fix.

Edit: Fixed again. Should be more reliable with initial placement of pointers. We might have to fix some timeouts to make Arrow more reliable. Feedback welcome!

Weissrolf
December 9th, 2020, 19:47
Since someone mentioned Photoshop: I am using a script that gives me middle-button scrolling and CTRL-wheel zooming in Photoshop. If anyone needs this, just let me know.

Weissrolf
December 10th, 2020, 10:33
Tooltip on long right-button press looks like this:

https://i.imgur.com/7XLUkYt.png

At this moment when you hold the button down and drag it will create an arrow, if you release the button it will show the right-click menu, if you press a modifier key the tooltip will change to Cone/Circle/Square accordingly.

Weissrolf
December 10th, 2020, 10:53
Animated GIF, all actions done via right-click only (except for pointer removal):

https://i.imgur.com/AcAX2WN.gif

fabiocm
December 12th, 2020, 17:32
holding down the middle mouse button (often scroll wheel) and moving the mouse moves around maps easily for me and this is also a very common way in lots of maps on computer games

if your mouse is able (more than standard 2 buttons and scroll 3rd button) then i recommend mapping a 4th to be act as CTRL it makes targetting so much easier

The problem is when there is no mouse!

eporrini
December 12th, 2020, 17:58
This script looks awesome! Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I use what you've posted in my game?

Weissrolf
December 12th, 2020, 18:19
You need to download AutoHotkey (Windows) and then open my script with it. I could offer an executable file, but don't know if SW likes such insecure offers on their forum.

HeckoX
February 28th, 2021, 14:09
Panning is accomplished using either a middle mouse button click and drag action;
OR by clicking and dragging on the navigation scroller icon in the lower right of the image window;
OR by using the arrow keys after left clicking in the image window view.

Regards,
JPG

Neither the first nor the third options work for me.
Thankfully, the second does, but stilll

Elihu
March 21st, 2021, 18:15
I was away from FG for while, but when I returned after about 3 months, I was disappointed to find that holding down the middle mouse button no longer pans around a the map. I am almost certain it has nothing to do with peoples mouse settings, because I tried updating my mouse driver, it appears to be a change in FG.

Kelrugem
March 21st, 2021, 18:27
I was away from FG for while, but when I returned after about 3 months, I was disappointed to find that holding down the middle mouse button no longer pans around a the map. I am almost certain it has nothing to do with peoples mouse settings, because I tried updating my mouse driver, it appears to be a change in FG.

It is certainly still possible to pan the map around like this :) So, maybe indeed something with your settings? Or do you have extensions etc? Otherwise steps to reproduce that would be good :)

LordEntrails
March 21st, 2021, 18:31
Make sure your mouse settings for your middle button are set to "Middle" and not something like "Auto/Scroll"

Elihu
March 21st, 2021, 23:58

Weissrolf
March 21st, 2021, 23:59
Your right button is set to "Menu" instead of right-click.

LordEntrails
March 22nd, 2021, 00:09
Your middle button is labelled "Scroll Click" and is set to Universal Scrolling. Try changing it.

Elihu
March 22nd, 2021, 09:21
Your middle button is labelled "Scroll Click" and is set to Universal Scrolling. Try changing it.

Did not help.

Griogre
March 22nd, 2021, 10:33
See if you can find an actual "Scroll Click" setting it's the default setting on mine

Elihu
March 23rd, 2021, 22:45
See if you can find an actual "Scroll Click" setting it's the default setting on mine

These are my options:

Kelrugem
March 23rd, 2021, 22:48
These are my options:

Could you try "Click"? And if that doesn't work, then maybe try the other options, too :)

Elihu
March 23rd, 2021, 23:55
I tried them all, I still can't pan with middle mouse wheel click now. I used to all the time with the same computer, same mouse and some update to FG made it not possible now, it's something I was really used to, no big deal just inconvenient.

Griogre
March 24th, 2021, 21:12
I'd suggest you try setting it to click setting again. Then reboot and see if it still says click. Alternatively, it you don't have a specific reason for your settings then there should be a restore to default, but its just wierd you can't get the middle click to work. :(

Weissrolf
March 24th, 2021, 21:23
For testing: uninstall the mouse-driver, see if it works then. If it does you know it's a driver thing, if it doesn't you know it's something else.