PDA

View Full Version : Mongoose Portait Tokens

MadBeardMan
August 28th, 2020, 17:03
Hi Folks,

Been chatting with Matt at Mongoose and one thing that he agrees is for me to create a token pack utilising the many images from all the books.

As you may have seen I already supply any tokens for an adventure/book so I have a few questions for you:

How would you see this token 'pack', as a series of packs of say 20 tokens, or would you want a token pack based on a run of books, ie a pack for all the 'Reach Adventures'.

How would you price these? I see, for example, other token packs between $5-10 depending on the count.

Would you want the tokens 'framed'? If so, what kind of frame, round, hexagon, square?

Lastly, if you want them framed, would you want them in a red frame, yellow frame and green frame, or just a single colour, ie grey?

Cheers,
MBM

Xargun
August 28th, 2020, 19:21
I prefer round tokens / borders. I usually use Green for party controlled, red for known hostiles, and then yellow for the rest -- just like the CT. As for price, tbh it would depend on how many tokens were in the pack and what they were of.

Xargun

esmdev
August 28th, 2020, 19:39
My preference would be square and no-border but if we must have order less is more, and color preference would be black or clear. I would be okay with round but hex would not be desirable for non-spacecraft/vehicle tokens.

I would mostly be interested if they were not ruleset locked.

Pricing would depend on number and diversity, but really going with average price points would not deter me.

MadBeardMan
August 29th, 2020, 15:03
My preference would be square and no-border but if we must have order less is more, and color preference would be black or clear. I would be okay with round but hex would not be desirable for non-spacecraft/vehicle tokens.

I would mostly be interested if they were not ruleset locked.

Pricing would depend on number and diversity, but really going with average price points would not deter me.

Thanks for the comment so far.

Tokens can't be ruleset locked, and defo not Hex as, well, it fits with the theme but doesn't suit me.

May look at providing the same token with/without borders etc.

I am looking for an artist to create custom tokens for my own personal game, though no joy so far as want them to fit with the style from Mongoose.

Cheers,
MBM

adzling
August 29th, 2020, 16:06
do we have a sample of what a mongoose token looks like?

I have great success with heroforges token creator (in beta from kickstarter) as it lets you model your character in 3d, add colors and then output with or without frames.

here's a few i created earlier:

esmdev
August 29th, 2020, 21:00
Those images look nice. What I gather from the original post is that this would be using book art to create token packs as opposed to art specifically created for tokens.

MadBeardMan
August 30th, 2020, 14:31
Those images do look nice and I'd welcome if you built a token pack. I'm also trying to get a few map makers that I follow on Twitter to create Sci-Fi maps, because one thing Traveller is not known for (still very true) is beautiful VTT maps.

As Esmdev stated, this token pack is based on the official book art, it's a generic pack that will be made available for various VTT in the end, though here first.

Cheers,
MBM

adzling
August 30th, 2020, 16:36
Sure i'd be happy create a token pack.

I'd probably focus on "ship crew" initially as all travellers are ships crew at some point.

Regarding maps for VTT I think you should give a hard look to the excellent work done on Traveller starship and building geomorphs by this chap:
https://travellerrpgblog.blogspot.com

This guy has extracted them all from the author's original PDF format and has converted them into PNGs with clear backgrounds that can be used with any grid backdrop.
https://gurpsland.no-ip.org/geomorphs/

I can't think of any other asset source that would work as well/ be as complete/ be as easy to use/ has all the creative work done already.

MadBeardMan
August 30th, 2020, 17:47
I've even told some map makers I'd pay them to create maps (talking here full colour, ultra modern) but none are interested, as I think they'll earn more on DTRPG over time. I'm fine with them doing that but still....

I may one day get out the tablet, draw some and colour them in PS, old skills I have but it's quite relaxing drawing maps.

Cheers,
MBM

adzling
August 30th, 2020, 17:52
yeah I'd look hard at using those resources I posted.
They are only black and white 2d maps but they are astonishingly user friendly and have all the relevant traveller details worked out.
Should be relatively easy to use them with FGU I would have thought.

MadBeardMan
August 30th, 2020, 17:53
yeah I'd look hard at using those resources I posted.
They are only black and white 2d maps but they are astonishingly user friendly and have all the relevant traveller details worked out.
Should be relatively easy to use them with FGU I would have thought.

Yep, just be careful you include any copyright info (if required), and thanks, and good luck!

Cheers,
MBM

backwardoracle
September 3rd, 2020, 12:25
Just for my point of view, If the tokens are just of the images supplied in a module you have paid for they should be free, as for style they should be square, so they can fit into the Hex if required, No offence but its just a few minutes to make them with something like tokenstamp.

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2020, 13:21
Just for my point of view, If the tokens are just of the images supplied in a module you have paid for they should be free...
That's the usual approach for other FG products - you get portraits/tokens created from the product artwork included in the same FG product. For example, see the first screenshot here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=PZOSMWPZO9302FG

esmdev
September 3rd, 2020, 14:19
Just for my point of view, If the tokens are just of the images supplied in a module you have paid for they should be free, as for style they should be square, so they can fit into the Hex if required, No offence but its just a few minutes to make them with something like tokenstamp.

I think the idea is for people who want more tokens but don't necessarily want the module or supplement, or people who want sci-fi tokens but not necessarily Traveller. It was my impression from the original post.

It would probably be a good idea to include the tokens extracted with the module for their source book, as it would add value to the module. It would also be a good idea to add a notice with the token packs where the tokens are sourced from the avoid angry purchasers.

MadBeardMan
September 3rd, 2020, 14:50
Folks,

Where this came from, Pinnacle released the tokens for Deadlands as a separate package and Matt (and I wondered) if players (not just Traveller) would found these useful.

This is why I've asked here.

All adventures/source books/campaign books/official Mongoose products come with all their tokens as standard.

Cheers,
MBM

backwardoracle
September 3rd, 2020, 15:33
I think the confusion might be the statement, as I read it "would you want a token pack based on a run of books, ie a pack for all the 'Reach Adventures'." which If I bought the modules I'd expect all the tokens, to sell the tokens as a separate deal, seems totally unnecessary.

Or is it, I can sell the licensed game tokens without customers buying the various modules?

MadBeardMan
September 3rd, 2020, 16:40
I think the confusion might be the statement, as I read it "would you want a token pack based on a run of books, ie a pack for all the 'Reach Adventures'." which If I bought the modules I'd expect all the tokens, to sell the tokens as a separate deal, seems totally unnecessary.

Or is it, I can sell the licensed game tokens without customers buying the various modules?

There are various questions and it's a shout out for what people would want/be happy with based on official artwork.

I have tried to employ someone to draw tokens that match the style, but can't find anyone willing, it's frustrating.

Cheers,
MBM

backwardoracle
September 3rd, 2020, 18:17
Yeah, its the Mongoose style artwork that I think is the problem, I'm sure new artwork in that style would sell.

esmdev
September 3rd, 2020, 18:31
Maybe you should ask Matt if you can use MGT1 art as well. That would be extra art not included in any released products.

backwardoracle
September 3rd, 2020, 18:39
Ok just spoken to an artist friend of mine, he say he can do that style, but is obviously dubious about the time to income ratio. He is prepared to make a one off demo piece, to see what people think.

MadBeardMan
September 4th, 2020, 17:17
Ok just spoken to an artist friend of mine, he say he can do that style, but is obviously dubious about the time to income ratio. He is prepared to make a one off demo piece, to see what people think.

Hi Chap,

You have my email, get him to email me his rate card. I'm willing to pay outright and recover my costs myself (like I did with the Cypberpunk pack I have), plus I need tokens for my own game.

Cheers,
MBM

backwardoracle
September 7th, 2020, 19:51
Should be seeing him tuesday.

rcruk
September 7th, 2020, 21:56
Please find attached the Type S I've knocked together for my intrepid bunch of Travellers. It's made from the few sci fi component I could find on RPG Drive Thu, so wouldn't be suitable for commercial use. As an experiment I've also mapped the *Deepnight Explorer* which they arrived at during last nights game... I've put these together in my spare time on Photoshop using commercial components. However there *must* be a market here for some really great Traveller compatible components, if they were of good quality and reconfigurable I would have thought they'd be worth a premium - and usable by other sci fi gamers? 39156

demonsamurai
September 8th, 2020, 21:12
Dude, i'm working on this Lab Ship map using Dungeondraft to run an old classic traveller adventure 'Death Station', but using the MT2e deck plans. It's not got the drives on it yet or the 2nd drive decks.

esmdev
September 8th, 2020, 21:20
Maybe you guys should start a starship deckplans thread, cause your stuff is really nice. :)

adzling
September 8th, 2020, 21:26
yeah good call esmdev, here's another contribution ;-)

demonsamurai
September 8th, 2020, 21:28
Excellent idea !

esmdev
September 8th, 2020, 22:09
yeah good call esmdev, here's another contribution ;-)

I like that, it is actually a ship that I use often. I noticed that is listed as small, is there a large?

adzling
September 8th, 2020, 22:15
there is, full res is 9000 x 6000 pixels that we use in FGU.

See link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3985r7cq3t2yxes/voidskipper%202.jpg?dl=0

Keep in mind this is NOT the exact same Voidskipper from Flight of Amaur but an analogue with many improvements for our table.

Here's a link to the full configuration: Alt Voidskipper Config (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18UAiTlyTHs6U15yqmfa2oOwA27nx503Oe89c6tVUiQ8/edit?usp=sharing)