PDA

View Full Version : NPC Access

DnDExplorers
August 28th, 2020, 08:13
I read some information on FGC regarding in NPC access. Where are you drag and drop the icon onto somebody else’s icon and it’s supposed to give them NPC access. It does not work in FGU.

Is there anyway to give a PC access to one or more NPC’s. Two scenarios one is I have an NPC joining the characters and I would rather have them run it than me run it. I also have an artificer with a turret that I have to manage and I would rather have the artificer manage his own turret.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Zacchaeus
August 28th, 2020, 10:07
In FGU there is an option in options called "Party vision and movement" under the Token(GM) section. By default this is set to Off which means that players can only move tokens that they own (in other words PCs that they control). Since, even though you are sharing an NPC with the player, they do not actually 'own' the NPC - the DM does you'll need to switch Party vision and movement to 'On' so that the player can move and use the NPC. A side effect of this is that any player can then click on any friendly token and move it and see it's LoS information.

kevininrussia
August 28th, 2020, 15:50
Another option is convert the NPC to a PC, and then have the player “own” that PC. I do that for my players pets.

DnDExplorers
August 28th, 2020, 18:42
Another option is convert the NPC to a PC, and then have the player “own” that PC. I do that for my players pets.

Is there a convert option or you just saying manually create a pc with those stats?

Thanks btw for your responses that was helpful

kevininrussia
August 28th, 2020, 18:45
Manually. It only took me a few minutes but I run 4e and maybe its easier to do in the ruleset.

DnDExplorers
August 28th, 2020, 19:04
In FGU there is an option in options called "Party vision and movement" under the Token(GM) section. By default this is set to Off which means that players can only move tokens that they own (in other words PCs that they control). Since, even though you are sharing an NPC with the player, they do not actually 'own' the NPC - the DM does you'll need to switch Party vision and movement to 'On' so that the player can move and use the NPC. A side effect of this is that any player can then click on any friendly token and move it and see it's LoS information.

Are there plans to change this, it would super helpful to have the option only give one PC visibility to a specific NPC?

LordEntrails
August 28th, 2020, 19:10
Are there plans to change this, it would super helpful to have the option only give one PC visibility to a specific NPC?
Not currently. But there are requests on the Wish List for ideas to change LOS behavior. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

mozmonar
August 28th, 2020, 19:55

Celestian has done this in his AD&D 1e/2e ruleset. But he has done a ton of very helpful things in that ruleset that unfortunately are not available in others. I think maybe this is also available by default in Savage Worlds ruleset but I wouldn't swear to it. Not sure what ruleset you are using though I would guess 5e.

kevininrussia
August 28th, 2020, 20:26
Celestian has done this in his AD&D 1e/2e ruleset. But he has done a ton of very helpful things in that ruleset that unfortunately are not available in others. I think maybe this is also available by default in Savage Worlds ruleset but I wouldn't swear to it. Not sure what ruleset you are using though I would guess 5e.

Is it that these other rulesets are not based on CoreRPG that they can do all this cool stuff?

Kelrugem
August 28th, 2020, 20:35
Is it that these other rulesets are not based on CoreRPG that they can do all this cool stuff?

AD&D is based on CoreRPG (even 5e when I am not mistaken) :) It is just that such a converter depends on the ruleset of course, so, it needs to be coded on the ruleset level :) (and AD&D etc. have a very active dedicated developer which is the reason why it has such features then :) Other official rulesets depends then on the allocation of ressources by SmiteWorks, and the focus is then of course on Unity at the moment :) )

kevininrussia
August 28th, 2020, 20:43
Didn't see AD&D on the CoreRPG ruleset list. Maybe I missed it.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Extensions

LordEntrails
August 28th, 2020, 20:44

Its called "Classic" It is effectively 1e & 2e AD&D. I believe the name was required by WotC.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?sys=27&sort=1

Kelrugem
August 28th, 2020, 20:45

Hm, I am pretty sure that it is based on CoreRPG, but I am not sure whether this wiki list is really up-to-date :D (for example the Vampire the masquerade links to a very old community one and the one in the store is not listed)

Zacchaeus
August 28th, 2020, 21:13
Hm, I am pretty sure that it is based on CoreRPG, but I am not sure whether this wiki list is really up-to-date :D (for example the Vampire the masquerade links to a very old community one and the one in the store is not listed)

It is layered on the 5e ruleset - so effectively it is Core based.

kevininrussia
August 28th, 2020, 21:20
Its a pitty all this cool new functionality built in CoreRPG rulesets aren't available for other rulesets built on CoreRPG.

Zacchaeus
August 28th, 2020, 21:35
Its a pitty all this cool new functionality built in CoreRPG rulesets aren't available for other rulesets built on CoreRPG.

That's why the emphasis now is to build things into CoreRPG.